What does this squad need to survive next season?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

What does this squad need to survive next season?

Post by hallamblue » Sun May 12, 2024 10:37 am

Interesting comments by the MOTD pundits, Micha Richards and Shearer, when they are running the eye over the three now relegated (newly promoted teams). Their comments I’m included things like ( yes that old chestnut again), defending / defender qualities ( Sheffield and Luton) and playing style (Burnley), the latter of which also feeds in to ability to defend as a team.

Shearer stated that Burnley didn’t really give themselves a chance this season, because they kept making the same mistakes over and over again. The mistake? Vincent Company’s insistence on trying to play it out from the back , when as he said, the Burnley players simply aren’t good enough to do that at the PL. so why not mix it up a bit and change it , especially if they kept conceding goals from repeatedly giving the ball away coming out of defence. Any alarms bells ring here ?
The quality of defenders for all the relegated teams was also remarked upon.

You would hope wouldn’t you, that the likes of McKenna and Ashton will be fully aware of what needs to be done to try and minimise Town from repeating the mistakes that have gone before by Sheffield, Luton and Burnley. It’ll be about who we can tempt to join us, as from a players perspective, joining a newly promoted club is a big risk. I just hope the quality of our coaching staff and manager will go a long way towards convincing some players to come here. I also think the regular appearances that the youngsters, Omari and Sarmiento have had at Town will tip the vote for any future young players we may be after.

You all know my feelings re our defenders capabilities, but another thing that really does concern me and I hope we try to remedy is our lack of pace throughout thee team. We have a little bit of pace up front, not much, but we have some. After that , I’m struggling to see too many players throughout the team, that has anywhere near the level of pace to deal wit( the pace we will face in the PL. There’s nothing in midfield , so we would be easily over run . We often were caught on the break at Championship level, and even Maidstone made us look like statues, so a fear what even bog standard PL players will do to us. We must, IMHO get pace through the spine of the team. Not an easy task, but what that’s got to be achieved I feel if we are to survive.

COYBS…. We are Premier League 👍

Your Thoughts guys n gels ?

Frosty
Forum Owner

Re: What does this squad need to survive next season?

Post by Frosty » Sun May 12, 2024 12:17 pm

Really the only thing I can say Liz is that I think our management is a cut above the 3 relegated teams.

Therefore I trust them not to repeat some of the mistakes mentioned above. They have made every post a winner to date.

We probably got up in one of the best financial positions of any recently promoted team so that flexibility may give us an advantage.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun May 12, 2024 12:58 pm

I, too, watched that discussion on MOTD, and felt the same concerns as you when it was stated that Burnley were not good enough at playing the ball out from the back in the PL.

I don't think for one minute that KM will change his philosophy on this just because we are Premier League, so can only assume that some defensive reinforcements are on the cards

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun May 12, 2024 1:19 pm

Tricky as the gap now is so big between the leagues, it means you go from dominating one league to really up against it in the next, not easy to switch playing styles etc.

The reality is the clubs finishing 17th and above just have better players than the bottom 3.

Recruitment is vital this summer. It’s a huge window of opportunity but it really won’t be easy, it’s not like we have a team with some premier league experience like saints, Leeds etc, but the team spirit is the strength here - so we need to blend some quality new signings without breaking that up.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sun May 12, 2024 3:57 pm

It may sound strange but I don't think our leadership are in the head space of 'survival' - I really don't. I think there is a bigger plan and a level of confidence that, with the right players (defensively as you say, Hallam) and elsewhere, we can be more ambitious than that. That may sound arrogant of us but I think this project is bigger than any of us imagine and we are far from finished yet. If I look at the hugely skilled but frankly lazy squads of many clubs in the Prem, I think our combination of style, tactics, togetherness, momentum and most importantly, player acquisition (the right players to blend with this squad) will be where our best chance of success lies. Since McKenna arrived, we haven't even mentioned the 'G' word (gelling) as all of our acquisitions have seamlessly joined, been accepted and performed. If we keep doing that and avoid relying on ego's, we will be OK. I just think this ownership and management group have a different approach - and so far, it has worked a treat! Long may it continue. So, 5 or 6 signings max for me (including loans and they have to bring quality but more importantly, be the right players to add to the group. It most certainly will be an extremely hard test but... in Kieran McKenna, I trust - COYB's!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun May 12, 2024 8:12 pm

Frosty wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 12:17 pm
Really the only thing I can say Liz is that I think our management is a cut above the 3 relegated teams.

Therefore I trust them not to repeat some of the mistakes mentioned above. They have made every post a winner to date.

We probably got up in one of the best financial positions of any recently promoted team so that flexibility may give us an advantage.
I hope you’re right Dave. It’s going to be interesting to see who we target isn’t it. I think there may well be a couple of surprises in the summer, and I’ve learned now , not to underestimate Ashton and McKenna.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun May 12, 2024 8:18 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 3:57 pm
It may sound strange but I don't think our leadership are in the head space of 'survival' - I really don't. I think there is a bigger plan and a level of confidence that, with the right players (defensively as you say, Hallam) and elsewhere, we can be more ambitious than that. That may sound arrogant of us but I think this project is bigger than any of us imagine and we are far from finished yet. If I look at the hugely skilled but frankly lazy squads of many clubs in the Prem, I think our combination of style, tactics, togetherness, momentum and most importantly, player acquisition (the right players to blend with this squad) will be where our best chance of success lies. Since McKenna arrived, we haven't even mentioned the 'G' word (gelling) as all of our acquisitions have seamlessly joined, been accepted and performed. If we keep doing that and avoid relying on ego's, we will be OK. I just think this ownership and management group have a different approach - and so far, it has worked a treat! Long may it continue. So, 5 or 6 signings max for me (including loans and they have to bring quality but more importantly, be the right players to add to the group. It most certainly will be an extremely hard test but... in Kieran McKenna, I trust - COYB's!
Absolutely, top, top post BW, and very astute.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 13, 2024 12:06 am

Blue Wilf wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 3:57 pm
I usually agree with pretty much everything you say and this is no exception, a bang on summing up