Premier League Clubs ( that's us btw)

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: Charnwood, Bluemike

hallamblue

Premier League Clubs ( that's us btw)

Post by hallamblue » Wed May 15, 2024 7:31 pm

Voting on VAR

BBC Sports News :

Premier League clubs will vote on whether to scrap video assistant referees (VAR) from next season at their annual general meeting next month.

Wolves have formally submitted a resolution to the Premier League which will trigger a vote when the 20 member clubs meet in Harrogate on 6 June.

The club said VAR was introduced "in good faith" but has led to "numerous unintended negative consequences that are damaging the relationship between fans and football".

VAR was introduced in 2019 to help support on-field officials with key match decisions, but there have been a number of controversial incidents involving the technology this season.

"The price we are paying for a small increase in accuracy is at odds with the spirit of our game," read a Wolves statement.

The Premier League said it "acknowledged the concerns" about VAR but "fully supports" the technology and will continue to work with referees' body PGMOL to make improvements.

Any rule changes need a two-thirds majority - 14 of of the 20 clubs - to vote in favour.

Premier League clubs have already voted for semi-automated offside technology to be introduced for the 2024-25 season.

VAR criticised after controversies
A number of Premier League managers have been critical of VAR and refereeing standards this season, including Wolves boss Gary O'Neil.

O'Neil was given a one-match touchline ban in April for his conduct near the referee's room after a game against West Ham, which saw Wolves have a late equaliser disallowed following a VAR check.

Wolves chairman Jeff Shi also questioned the role of VAR after the West Ham game and said the club would be higher in the table "if it wasn't for a number of incorrect or contentious decisions".

One of the most high-profile VAR mistakes to date is Luis Diaz's goal that was incorrectly disallowed for offside for Liverpool at Tottenham in October.

The Premier League said the incident highlighted "systemic weaknesses in the VAR process" and that "key learnings and immediate actions" were taken.

In February the league's chief football officer Tony Scholes said VAR had increased the number of correct decisions but that those decisions were taking too long and offered a poor in-stadium experience.

In a bid to improve transparency, referee's chief Howard Webb regularly discusses notable recent incidents involving VAR, including audio between on-field officials and the VAR team, on the TV programme Match Officials Mic’d Up live.

Last month, Sweden became the only elite league in Uefa's top 30 to reject VAR.

Analysis - PL says scrapping VAR not the way forward
BBC chief football news reporter Simon Stone

It is understood the Premier League fundamentally does not believe this is the right way forward.

While it is obvious Wolves - and others - have had frustrations with the system this season, the league believes removing VAR would increase the number of incorrect decisions and potentially leave the on-field officials open to even greater criticism than they currently receive.

The Premier League’s figures show the number of correct decisions in matches has increased from 82% before VAR was introduced to 96% currently. With semi-automated offside technology due to be introduced early next season, it is felt that figure will increase even further.

PGMOL head of refereeing Webb is pushing for greater in-game communication between VAR and fans and is pushing the international rule-making body IFAB for greater changes.

The Premier League also believes removing VAR would have a negative impact on its global reputation.

This is likely to cut little ice with Wolves, who feel they have been on the wrong end of a series of bad decisions, starting on the opening weekend when Manchester United goalkeeper Andre Onana went unpunished for punching striker Sasa Kalajdzic in the face in the final minute at Old Trafford as he tried to clear the ball.

Many fans do not like the amount of time taken to reach marginal offside decisions, even if the outcome ultimately proved to be the correct one.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Premier League Clubs ( that's us btw)

Post by Bluemike » Wed May 15, 2024 8:02 pm

Good, scrap the crap, I might just enjoy the Premier League a tiny bit more

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed May 15, 2024 9:05 pm

Can't decide on this at all.........

......, give me a few minutes ---->>>

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed May 15, 2024 9:12 pm

Ok, that's about enough time between posts......, scrap it......, its sh*t. Convinced Hibs would've been challenging for trophies this season without it.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Thu May 16, 2024 12:28 am

Cynic that I am, I'm wondering with all this American ownership in the PL now whether VAR won't give them the chance to slip a few adverts in.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Thu May 16, 2024 6:46 am

I hope they scrap it but I'm afraid they won't unfortunately ☹️

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu May 16, 2024 7:08 am

I think we've all forgotten how life was before VAR, and how terrible some decisions were when seen on TV.

I really hope that they decide to retain it but also decide to accelerate the development of improvements. For example, it should be possible to train AI to give real time haptic feedback to referees on offsides. There is no need to interrupt the game to review.

Also they might consider reducing the types of interventions that are required by requiring errors to be more obvious before alerting refs to the need to review.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu May 16, 2024 8:02 am

Refs need to linesman how they should be used , and not "as directed" by a Ref 4 miles further back on the pitch .

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu May 16, 2024 9:22 am

When I think back to watching football in the 60s and 70s, I remember how much involvement and influence in a game the linesmen had - often far more than had by the referee.

Over the last 2 or 3 decades, the standard of linemanship has deteriorated terribly - it seems to me as an observer that a lot of linesmen don't want to get involved in the game at all, merely to mince up and down the line carrying their flag like a handbag.

I agree that an automated detection system for offside would be useful in the same way that goal-line tech has worked, but improve the standard of the limesmen and I don't think VAR would be required at all.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu May 16, 2024 10:48 am

rossi wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 9:22 am
Over the last 2 or 3 decades, the standard of linemanship has deteriorated terribly - it seems to me as an observer that a lot of linesmen don't want to get involved in the game at all, merely to mince up and down the line carrying their flag like a handbag.
Weren’t you on this board a couple of weeks back complaining and raising reports to moderators about “Stevie Wonder” references and that you know blind people etc etc and you were offended?
Whats with the homophobic stuff? That not count in the Rossi “me as an observer” rulebook?

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu May 16, 2024 1:03 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 10:48 am
rossi wrote:
Weren’t you on this board a couple of weeks back complaining and raising reports to moderators about “Stevie Wonder” references and that you know blind people etc etc and you were offended?
Whats with the homophobic stuff? That not count in the Rossi “me as an observer” rulebook?
Oh dear, irony is clearly lost on you isn't it.

Mincing up and down refers to the way they skip up and down the line rather than running full pelt to keep up with play.
Carrying flag like a handbag means they usually keep their flag down.

Shouldn't really have to explain all this to an adult :roll:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu May 16, 2024 1:12 pm

rossi wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 1:03 pm
marko69 wrote:
rossi wrote:

Mincing up and down refers to the way they skip up and down the line rather than running full pelt to keep up with play.

No. Thats not what you meant. And you know it.

I responded due to TWO complaints. You are a complainer and a reporter of things…… Well newsflash, others report stuff too. You should know that. Your “thats not what i meant” BS wont wash.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu May 16, 2024 1:24 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 1:12 pm
rossi wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 1:03 pm
marko69 wrote:

No. Thats not what you meant. And you know it.

I responded due to TWO complaints. You are a complainer and a reporter of things…… Well newsflash, others report stuff too. You should know that. Your “thats not what i meant” BS wont wash.
Please don't tell me what I meant - you don't know me and thus have no idea what I meant, and you are merely jumping to conclusions. I offered you an explanation of what I posted - it's your perogotive to believe it or not, but don't refer to it at BS.

Although I meant no homophobic reference at all, reading through it again I can quite see how some people may have taken it in that context. To anybody who was offended, I apologise.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu May 16, 2024 1:36 pm

:lol: ….. you can see “the context” and where the confusion is yet i am the one jumping to conclusions?! 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Like i said…… only responded due to complaints. Apology will no doubt be accepted. 👍👌

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Jun 06, 2024 3:58 pm

I see 19 of 20 Premier League clubs, including Ipswich, have voted against scrapping VAR.
https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/24370749.i ... -keep-var/

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jun 06, 2024 4:00 pm

Fools

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Jun 06, 2024 4:03 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 4:00 pm
Fools
Possibly yes, but it seems from a glance of the report, that steps are being taken to improve VAR and its use, including SAOT, Semi Automatic Offside Technology. With better training and more clarity maybe VAR can be more effective?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jun 06, 2024 4:26 pm

Well it can't be any worse, something has to change.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Thu Jun 06, 2024 4:34 pm

rossi wrote:
When I think back to watching football in the 60s and 70s, I remember how much involvement and influence in a game the linesmen had - often far more than had by the referee.

I agree that an automated detection system for offside would be useful in the same way that goal-line tech has worked, but improve the standard of the limesmen and I don't think VAR would be required at all.
Word 👍