McKenna - on his future at Ipswich Town.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Ricco

Re: McKenna - on his future at Ipswich Town.

Post by Ricco » Wed May 22, 2024 12:19 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 10:38 am
he could have done that in a flash, he didn't
And if he's in the middle of negotiating a new contract? Wouldn't he be unbelievably stupid to declare he is staying come what may? I'd say so, you want your employer to think there is a very real chance you may go if they don't keep you happy. They may even be using his position to put pressure on those who hold the purse strings, encouraging them to commit to adequate transfer and wage funding. And at the end of the day, he is a man who never speaks in concrete terms either, he is too wise for that, I don't think we can read much in to any of it too much.

Another thought is he wants teams to come in for him regardless, he will want to see what clubs are interested now, and therefore potentially in future, he will want to see what they could offer him financially, in terms of structure, ambition of clubs, maybe he wants such conversations. Declaring yourself off market doesn't help that, and even if he is 99% set on staying, he can't guarantee it, 'cause Barcelona may come in and offer him £100m a year contract (or whatever the more realistic huge deal would be, everyone has their price), how stupid would he look then if he'd promised he's staying?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed May 22, 2024 12:44 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 12:06 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 11:52 am
FWIW: In the EADT today ...I can't access anymore of the article than whats below ....

"Kieran McKenna has addressed recent links with a move away from Ipswich Town, explaining that he isn't focused on the rumours."
See my post above Liz. :wink:
Ah. Thanks AM I missed that. It's hard to know what to think isn't it. Of he is negotiating s new contract I say to the owners, give him what he asks for :lol: he's earned it and some!

It's notable though he refers to " the club", not "us" or "we".... hmmm

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed May 22, 2024 12:46 pm

Ricco wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 12:19 pm
Bluemike wrote:
And if he's in the middle of negotiating a new contract? Wouldn't he be unbelievably stupid to declare he is staying come what may? I'd say so, you want your employer to think there is a very real chance you may go if they don't keep you happy. They may even be using his position to put pressure on those who hold the purse strings, encouraging them to commit to adequate transfer and wage funding. And at the end of the day, he is a man who never speaks in concrete terms either, he is too wise for that, I don't think we can read much in to any of it too much.

Another thought is he wants teams to come in for him regardless, he will want to see what clubs are interested now, and therefore potentially in future, he will want to see what they could offer him financially, in terms of structure, ambition of clubs, maybe he wants such conversations. Declaring yourself off market doesn't help that, and even if he is 99% set on staying, he can't guarantee it, 'cause Barcelona may come in and offer him £100m a year contract (or whatever the more realistic huge deal would be, everyone has their price), how stupid would he look then if he'd promised he's staying?
All very true Ricco..... it's the uncertainty that kills isn't it .... but he will definitely leave us at some point, I just hope it's not now.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed May 22, 2024 12:53 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 12:46 pm
All very true Ricco..... it's the uncertainty that kills isn't it .... but he will definitely leave us at some point, I just hope it's not now.
Absolutely and in this extremely transient and fickle age, it's worth noting that of the 92 league clubs, he is the 13th longest serving manager, and only a matter of days from being top 10 or higher. So at least there's that...

We can't keep him forever, but as you say, I think we're all just desperate for him to stick around to see what he can do in the Prem and to try and become established up there. At that point if he goes to a top club and our owners decide to sell up etc... then perhaps we can't begrudge them anything at that stage, that would be project complete.

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed May 22, 2024 12:54 pm

Ricco wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 12:19 pm
Bluemike wrote:

Re funding, I would imagine the ownership will basically back him to the full amount allowed by Profit and sustainabilty rules. There probably isn't much need for discussion on that, they've done that upto now and have deeper pockets since the added investment came in.
Ed Schwatz recently stated that even in the January transfer window it was the owners asking MA and KM if they needed more, should they be pushing harder etc, rather than the other away around.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed May 22, 2024 1:43 pm

Ricco, the contract thing was the only angle that had me thinking maybe I'm wrong so praying that is the case. While I'm believing he is gonna leave it makes absolutely no sense to me as to why, given his age and as yet lack of any top flight experience, we also have Two basket case clubs being linked to him and Brighton, I mean really? Give it 12 months, keep us up and the world is his oyster, or does he fear a black mark on his otherwise impeccable CV ?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed May 22, 2024 2:01 pm

If he leaves, would hate to be the new guy. He'll be under the microscope. And if he's a cliche ridden Paul Cook type --->> God help IpswichTown.

Just feckin stay, Kieron.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed May 22, 2024 2:07 pm

Whoever was to replace him would be on a loser Marko, I think that much is certain

ITFC2024

Post by ITFC2024 » Wed May 22, 2024 2:09 pm

McKenna is renowned for his maturity and calmness. His pragmatism and honesty have been evident so far, which leads me to believe he will assess his position in the same manner. He's still young, and he'll have plenty of time to prove himself elsewhere. If he does leave, of course it will be very disappointing. But as others have said, MA will ensure there'll be a worthy replacement.

ITFC2024

Post by ITFC2024 » Wed May 22, 2024 2:14 pm

Mirror Article, Andy Dunn:
McKenna would be a great shout to take over from Mauricio Pochettino but the best option for the Ipswich Town manager is to stay at Portman Road. It would be a good show of loyalty and McKenna would be able to demonstrate his skills on the big stage without any significant burden of pressure or expectation.

If Ipswich go back down, his stock would still be high. McKenna is better off biding his time. McKenna, 38, fits the bill of an exciting young coach and so does Ruben Amorim. You only hear good things about the Sporting boss and while he insists he is staying in Lisbon, Chelsea should redouble their efforts to persuade the 39-year-old to step into the Premier League.

There are plenty of intriguing candidates for a job that remains hugely attractive despite the interference from the ownership model. But Amorim should be the number one target.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed May 22, 2024 2:28 pm

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed May 22, 2024 2:52 pm

Even that piece of shyte Reporting……..

Quote:
Ipswich believe their best chance of staying in the top-flight next season is to keep hold of McKenna, 38, who was also in talks with Crystal Palace over taking over from Roy Hodgson during the last season.
End quote

B U L L S H I T

Yes, Crystal Palace enquired. But the manager was not “in talks” 🤦‍♂️ :twisted:
Jaysus fkn H Christ man 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed May 22, 2024 3:42 pm

£100k PW! Woza, but you'd likely say he is worth it.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed May 22, 2024 3:58 pm

Peanuts to what Chelsea would pay

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed May 22, 2024 3:58 pm

£100k a week! Definitely must be true if it is being reported by the Sun! :wink:

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed May 22, 2024 4:11 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 3:58 pm
I think Poch was on 200k PW, ranking him the 7th highest paid manager in world football - doubt Chelsea would offer that to KM

https://www.givemesport.com/worlds-high ... -managers/

ITFC2024

Post by ITFC2024 » Wed May 22, 2024 4:47 pm

Well most of the media outlets are convinced McKenna will be moving on.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed May 22, 2024 4:51 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 3:58 pm
Others may disagree, but that wouldbe me set for life if true, any more than that and it wouldn't improve my life. It would give me financial safety to do as I wished with my career, which would be stay at Town! Let's hope Kieran sees it the same way...

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed May 22, 2024 4:54 pm

Diego Simeone, £30M a year.

Thats only £577K a week. Stuff that. Roll over, have a long lie in

Seriously though, to be honest, would “maybe” work 4 weeks…… THEN roll over…… Have a long lie in.

“You’d probably be sacked after two.”
“What, two weeks?”
“No, 2pm first day ya useless bstd.”

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed May 22, 2024 5:06 pm

…… and in other news today, Sunak announces general election date to be July 4th, Independence Day.

There's got to be some kind of subliminal message in there somewhere….

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed May 22, 2024 5:10 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 10:05 am
Having just listened to him being interviewed last night at the awards do I am even more convinced he is leaving, to say the club are looking forward to next season and will be in good hands says nothing in the way of reassurance, quite the opposite in fact. That's how I interpret it anyhow.

It’s only a week ago you were telling us confidently it wasn’t going to happen and we didn’t need to worry, nothings changed other than media speculation.

My biggest concern after the fear of losing him is the disruption it’s potentially having on our planning and preparation for next season.

It’s also disrupting my holiday and adding to my mobile data roaming bill trying to keep up to date because I can't relax until this situation gets resolved. In truth it also pisses me off that the big clubs just think their money gives them the right to take your assets whenever it suits them. I’m sure it didn’t used to be as brutal as this.

It’s also a massive shame ghat what should bd such an exciting period for the fans has turned into such a worrying time.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed May 22, 2024 5:10 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 5:06 pm
…… and in other news today, Sunak announces general election date to be July 4th, Independence Day.

There's got to be some kind of subliminal message in there somewhere….
Hopefully aliens arrive. Can only make things better.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed May 22, 2024 5:12 pm

I’ve just read this which is interesting.

🚨Ipswich have offered Kieran McKenna a blockbuster new contract to try and keep him at Portman Road.

Hes been offered a stunning £5m a year over the next 4 years as they’re anticipating an offer from Brighton in the next 24 hours!

Our owners have certainly done their stuff to try to keep him.

I think the odds maybe turning in our favour if this is true.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed May 22, 2024 5:43 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 5:12 pm

🚨Ipswich have offered Kieran McKenna a blockbuster new contract to try and keep him at Portman Road.

Hes been offered a stunning £5m a year over the next 4 years as they’re anticipating an offer from Brighton in the next 24 hours!

There ya go. I think we would best be served by avoiding checking up on this issue daily. I'm as concerned as everyone else but I'm sure it will finish well for us as this is the way the club works. I suspect that KM is in no hurry to move on but, just as I would in his place, he is listening to what is on offer out there and discussing it with MA and the owners in order to make sure he is properly rewarded. No doubt some of the players are doing the same via their agents.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed May 22, 2024 5:47 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 5:10 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 10:05 am
Having just listened to him being interviewed last night at the awards do I am even more convinced he is leaving, to say the club are looking forward to next season and will be in good hands says nothing in the way of reassurance, quite the opposite in fact. That's how I interpret it anyhow.

It’s only a week ago you were telling us confidently it wasn’t going to happen and we didn’t need to worry, nothings changed other than media speculation.

My biggest concern after the fear of losing him is the disruption it’s potentially having on our planning and preparation for next season.

It’s also disrupting my holiday and adding to my mobile data roaming bill trying to keep up to date because I can't relax until this situation gets resolved. In truth it also pisses me off that the big clubs just think their money gives them the right to take your assets whenever it suits them. I’m sure it didn’t used to be as brutal as this.

It’s also a massive shame ghat what should bd such an exciting period for the fans has turned into such a worrying time.
A lot has changed with every man and his Dog now wanting him, I did not for one second believe we would be left in limbo with no reassurance whatsoever, I don't buy all these excuses as to why he hasn't quashed the rumours, other than the new contract possibility but even then his interview comments were so cleverly delivered I feel things were being evaded. Perhaps he should cast his mind back a few days to the comments he made....
"I love it here, he said, "I'm so proud to be the manager of this Football club, I've given so much of myself, and I'm just so focused on enjoying that journey. The speculation has been there for the last Two years to be honest, and I've shown loyalty to the club. I'm pleased I've stuck with it. There's some big and exciting steps to come."

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed May 22, 2024 5:57 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 5:43 pm
Charnwood wrote:

There ya go. I think we would best be served by avoiding checking up on this issue daily. I'm as concerned as everyone else but I'm sure it will finish well for us as this is the way the club works. I suspect that KM is in no hurry to move on but, just as I would in his place, he is listening to what is on offer out there and discussing it with MA and the owners in order to make sure he is properly rewarded. No doubt some of the players are doing the same via their agents.
Then you have this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/ar ... ggpj1j4y7o

Tbh will just be glad when it is resolved one way or the other.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed May 22, 2024 6:16 pm

So how do these sources know any deal is likely to be turned down? How do the media know the details of any said new offer being tabled? Total speculation? A weasely agent? It's a bit like some of the signings we have reportedly been linked with in the past, it's about column inches and selling newspapers, putting 2+2 together and making sure that none of your media rivals steal a march on you!
Of course there's no smoke without fire, but Ipswich have tended to play their cards close to their chest and nobody had a clue about us appointing a (very low profile) KM. KM is obviously going to be linked with every decent vacancy going, he IS the hottest property in the managerial world, backed up by winning both the LMA Championship & LMA Manager of the year awards, the latter having been monopolised by Guardiola and Klopp since 2019.
I'm going to put my trust in the process (a key phrase at ITFC during McKenna's reign to date). Maybe it's misguided but I believe KM will still be in the PR hot seat come the start of the new season.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed May 22, 2024 6:24 pm

What we have to remember is that this is McKenna’s career we’re talking about not just our football club.
If any of us in our careers do well snd another company head hunt us to do a similar job with a bigger company and offer to 5 x our salary and give us the opportunity to work with higher skilled workers surely we’d have to take a serious look at that and keep our powder dry until we’d made our decision.

I like McKenna snd pray he stays but he’d be a fool to commit himself to Ipswich before he’s had time to consider the full situation and each of his options.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed May 22, 2024 6:24 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 5:57 pm
Dubai Blue wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 5:43 pm
Charnwood wrote:

Then you have this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/ar ... ggpj1j4y7o

Tbh will just be glad when it is resolved one way or the other.
Shed…….. my hilarious cousin just sent me that very link and said….. “He’s coming to Hibs, dude.”

:lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed May 22, 2024 6:27 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 6:16 pm
I'm going to put my trust in the process (a key phrase at ITFC during McKenna's reign to date). Maybe it's misguided but I believe KM will still be in the PR hot seat come the start of the new season.
Word! Me too. 👍👌