McKenna - on his future at Ipswich Town.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: McKenna - on his future at Ipswich Town.

Post by Bluemike » Wed May 22, 2024 6:49 pm

I think you're gonna be disappointed, I'm gutted tbh.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed May 22, 2024 6:57 pm

Gutted yes……. And very annoyed tbh. I do understand Charnwoods post….. climbing the ladder, bettering yourself. ONE HUNDRED %

But to go from league one, to Championship, then EPL in 24 months, and be offered £5M…… i think at 38 years old, thats the way to go. Its either that or just a tad greedy….., like Wickham back in the day —->> chasing the dollars before he’s ready.

Only thing i can assume is this ——>>> Kieron himself thinks the club have got to the EPL too fast, and the fall may be too huge. Thats opinion only.

If its just the dough, (with being offered £5M a year anyway) then he’s a greedy wee bstd. I DO NOT think that ——>> i think he’s fearing a collapse that’ll ruin his stock.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed May 22, 2024 7:04 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 6:49 pm
Here's my take! I think that those Leeds fans in that bar in Albufeira hoodwinked BM into thinking they were a decent bunch! Once they'd gained his trust, he was kidnapped and a lookalike imposter was sent back to the UK to break the chain of positivity on the Tractor Boy's Forum!
Come back positive Mike, wherever you are! :wink: :P :lol:

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed May 22, 2024 7:15 pm

The thing that concerns me is if he does decide to go the longer it goes on the more damage it might do to our prospects next season.
One advantage in getting automatic promotion over going up via the playoffs is you get a few extra weeks to get your plans in place regarding recruitment etc. if this drags on to long then no doubt it will delay any possible transfer activity as if McKenna decides to go then any players he was thinking of bringing in might not be wanted by the new manager.
Think it is going to be a long few weeks.

clethbridge8

Post by clethbridge8 » Wed May 22, 2024 7:21 pm

Its all very annoying and taking a bit of the shine off of things, we should be enjoying this period!

I hope it gets resolved this week oneway or other so we can move on and enjoy the summer!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed May 22, 2024 7:34 pm

clethbridge8 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 7:21 pm
Its all very annoying and taking a bit of the shine off of things, we should be enjoying this period!

I hope it gets resolved this week oneway or other so we can move on and enjoy the summer!
Spot on.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed May 22, 2024 7:39 pm

IF McKenna leaves and good proportion of the coaching team will go with as they always seem to. The disruption to the club could be immense as we are about to embark upon our PL preparations. His departure would also IMHO greatly impact upon some very decent targets we are trying to bring here.
In short McKenna leaving will be not too far short of catastrophic in the short term ( next season)!

I see Chris fuvkeit sutton couldn’t resist having an opinion on the matter snd as usual in his gloating unprofessional “ I hate Ipswich” way. I hate that C even more now…

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed May 22, 2024 7:48 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 7:15 pm
The thing that concerns me is if he does decide to go the longer it goes on the more damage it might do to our prospects next season.
One advantage in getting automatic promotion over going up via the playoffs is you get a few extra weeks to get your plans in place regarding recruitment etc. if this drags on to long then no doubt it will delay any possible transfer activity as if McKenna decides to go then any players he was thinking of bringing in might not be wanted by the new manager.
Think it is going to be a long few weeks.
Agree to some extent but I would also think early transfer business is tricky as alot of players/agents will hold out as long as possible to see what other clubs come in for them and push the wages up etc. Many players will be on holiday now, I don't expect many transfers across the league to happen until we get into mid june onwards.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed May 22, 2024 7:54 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 7:04 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 6:49 pm
Here's my take! I think that those Leeds fans in that bar in Albufeira hoodwinked BM into thinking they were a decent bunch! Once they'd gained his trust, he was kidnapped and a lookalike imposter was sent back to the UK to break the chain of positivity on the Tractor Boy's Forum!
Come back positive Mike, wherever you are! :wink: :P :lol:
I am positive, positive we've lost our manager

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Wed May 22, 2024 8:19 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 6:24 pm
What we have to remember is that this is McKenna’s career we’re talking about not just our football club.
If any of us in our careers do well snd another company head hunt us to do a similar job with a bigger company and offer to 5 x our salary and give us the opportunity to work with higher skilled workers surely we’d have to take a serious look at that and keep our powder dry until we’d made our decision.

I like McKenna snd pray he stays but he’d be a fool to commit himself to Ipswich before he’s had time to consider the full situation and each of his options.
This is spot on.

ITFC2024

Post by ITFC2024 » Wed May 22, 2024 8:48 pm

De Zerbi favourite to be Chelsea manager

ITFC2024

Post by ITFC2024 » Wed May 22, 2024 8:55 pm

Teuchel is the favourite for Man Utd.

That leaves Brighton

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed May 22, 2024 9:37 pm

ITFC2024 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 8:55 pm
Teuchel is the favourite for Man Utd.

That leaves Brighton
Seems close to joint fav with Farioli
https://m.skybet.com/football/manager-s ... r/33610061

Is it time to spread some dodgy rumours about KM, £300 a day coke habbit etc or such? Put them off a bit.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed May 22, 2024 10:06 pm

I've heard he puts ketchup on fillet steak

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed May 22, 2024 10:11 pm

More interested in the odds for Teuchel being emptied by Sept30th.

ITFC2024

Post by ITFC2024 » Wed May 22, 2024 10:12 pm

Ricco wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 10:06 pm
What’s wrong with that?

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed May 22, 2024 10:15 pm

ITFC2024 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 10:12 pm
Ricco wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 10:06 pm
What’s wrong with that?
On come on man, everyone knows rib eye is better than fillet.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Wed May 22, 2024 10:17 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 6:27 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 6:16 pm
I'm going to put my trust in the process (a key phrase at ITFC during McKenna's reign to date). Maybe it's misguided but I believe KM will still be in the PR hot seat come the start of the new season.
Word! Me too. 👍👌
I agree as well. The papers need to fill column space. I still don't think he will go and as I have said before, if he does then he is not the man I think he is. He will get this chance again - he is 38 FFS - a baby in managerial terms!

If he gives us one more season then I would reluctantly say thanks and wish him well on a move but chelsea and MU will NOT give him (or anyone else) time to do the job that is needed and brighton... well, brighton? Reallly? In KM I still trust!

ITFC2024

Post by ITFC2024 » Wed May 22, 2024 10:23 pm

Chelsea have already tried a British up and coming manager with Potter, why would they do that again?

I think Brighton is the realistic possibility, but why would he pick them over us?

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed May 22, 2024 10:25 pm

ITFC2024 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 10:23 pm
Chelsea have already tried a British up and coming manager with Potter, why would they do that again?

I think Brighton is the realistic possibility, but why would he pick them over us?
See my earlier posts! They are WAY ahead of us. It would take town years to overtake them and need very very good recruitment.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Wed May 22, 2024 11:07 pm

Old sportswriting hacks at newspapers trying to stay relevant when the season's over. Who's flavour of the month? Just spin a story about him, facts be damned, get those clicks.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu May 23, 2024 3:23 am

Of those being talked about so far I think the only job McKenna is guaranteed to take if offered is that at Manchester United and if that opportunity arises I wouldn’t hold it against him if he went.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu May 23, 2024 5:50 am

All this has done is to take the shine off what should be one of the greatest times in our history, from incredible celebrations to anxious worry and a feeling of disappointment in the blink of an eye, us fans should still be revelling in the jubilation of promotion. God knows how the players must be feeling who to a man have put KM on a very tall pedestal.

I don't think a single one of us can hand on heart say this was expected because it wasn't, I'm pretty sure I'm correct in saying it's never happened before that a Manager gets you promoted to the Premier League and then buggers off when a better offer comes up without even taking charge of One game !!! It's just unheard of and so much for all the talk of loving it here and believing in the project and looking forward to many more steps in the future, if of course he is to leave, it will certainly take some comprehension on my part, and many others.

At the end of the day there is no loyalty whatsoever in football these days, its every man for himself, no longer are there Bobby Robson's or Matt Le Tissier's out there, at 38 KM has the world at his feet and has absolutely no need or reason to move on yet, it can only be greed or a desire to manage at the very top ASAP without doing the hard yards which it would obviously be at Ipswich.

Clearly we owe McKenna much for what he has achieved here in a short space of time but we gave him that opportunity and a contract which still runs, there should be loyalty both ways, to walk away now would be a huge slap in the face firstly to Mark Ashton and then to the owners, not to mention the adoring fans who worship him.

I hope he is the man we all thought him to be and all this is just journalism at its worst, nothing would make me happier but all this talk of not blaming him if he moved on doesn't sit well with me at all, I don't buy it at his age, Simon Jordan got it bang on. I'm gonna hate the next few weeks until its resolved, talk about taking the shine off something special, that's happened already.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu May 23, 2024 6:28 am

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ar ... on-chelsea

But my thoughts are now, if he’s considering leaving and just weighing up his mounting options, just go!

THIS club has work to do now, to prepare for next season. The longer this goes on the less we can prepare. Players we had targeted will be unlikely to join us with all the uncertainty hanging over us, and the longer the situation continues the less time our new manager will have to prepare.

This is not about Kieran McKenna anymore. It’s about Ipswich Town Football Club!!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu May 23, 2024 6:30 am

shabba wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 10:25 pm
ITFC2024 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 10:23 pm

See my earlier posts! They are WAY ahead of us. It would take town years to overtake them and need very very good recruitment.
Really? Watch them struggle next season

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu May 23, 2024 6:42 am

Bluemike wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 5:50 am
All this has done is to take the shine off what should be one of the greatest times in our history, from incredible celebrations to anxious worry and a feeling of disappointment in the blink of an eye, us fans should still be revelling in the jubilation of promotion. God knows how the players must be feeling who to a man have put KM on a very tall pedestal.

I don't think a single one of us can hand on heart say this was expected because it wasn't, I'm pretty sure I'm correct in saying it's never happened before that a Manager gets you promoted to the Premier League and then buggers off when a better offer comes up without even taking charge of One game !!! It's just unheard of and so much for all the talk of loving it here and believing in the project and looking forward to many more steps in the future, if of course he is to leave, it will certainly take some comprehension on my part, and many others.

At the end of the day there is no loyalty whatsoever in football these days, its every man for himself, no longer are there Bobby Robson's or Matt Le Tissier's out there, at 38 KM has the world at his feet and has absolutely no need or reason to move on yet, it can only be greed or a desire to manage at the very top ASAP without doing the hard yards which it would obviously be at Ipswich.

Clearly we owe McKenna much for what he has achieved here in a short space of time but we gave him that opportunity and a contract which still runs, there should be loyalty both ways, to walk away now would be a huge slap in the face firstly to Mark Ashton and then to the owners, not to mention the adoring fans who worship him.

I hope he is the man we all thought him to be and all this is just journalism at its worst, nothing would make me happier but all this talk of not blaming him if he moved on doesn't sit well with me at all, I don't buy it at his age, Simon Jordan got it bang on. I'm gonna hate the next few weeks until its resolved, talk about taking the shine off something special, that's happened already.
Too much emotion in there for me Mike. So far McKenna has done absolutely nothing wrong or said a word out of place. He may well have contractural conditions that prevent him from making any comment. We simply have to wait for the situation to unfold and in the meantime simply hope and pray we like the outcome.
I still think there’s every chance he’ll still be here when the season kicks off, at least a 50/50 chance.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu May 23, 2024 7:58 am

That may well be true Andy, BUT the Club are not helping things with this current circus media are they . They could take the heat out of this situation, IF KM was intending to stay ....so maybe he's not and they are doing all they can to keep him. But I dont think its about money with McK ....all I am sure of is this uncertainty is ruining this Club's chances of staying up because it affects everything at this club.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu May 23, 2024 8:00 am

Yes Andy, a lot of emotion for sure, justified for me. I accept its outsiders doing most of the talking but how long are you prepared to hear all this drivel for? When do you feel we have a right to know the true situation? As Hallam says we have a mega tough season to prepare for and if that includes finding a new manager time is of the essence. Let's get it sorted while Liam Rosenior is still available, no way do I want another David Moyes type dinosaur.

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu May 23, 2024 8:19 am

Have faith that Ashton will know what he is doing, he will have plans in place etc if KM leaves.

It won't effect recruitment too much - as I said before nobody is moving this early, it would just be early talks and players/agents always hold out to see what other offers come to the table. I don't see the timing of this being bad, its actually as good as it could be under the circumstances as if he goes it'll likely be in the next week or so - which is plenty of time to appoint a new manager and give them time for signings and a pre season etc.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Thu May 23, 2024 8:34 am

Bluemike wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 8:00 am
Yes Andy, a lot of emotion for sure, justified for me. I accept its outsiders doing most of the talking but how long are you prepared to hear all this drivel for? When do you feel we have a right to know the true situation? As Hallam says we have a mega tough season to prepare for and if that includes finding a new manager time is of the essence. Let's get it sorted while Liam Rosenior is still available, no way do I want another David Moyes type dinosaur.
David Moyes ~1250 Premiership matches, Liam Roeseior 0.
Guess who my money would be on keeping Ipswich up ?
Moyes won't get Ipswich job so you can breath easy, not sure management is where he will end up.
Kieron McKenna is a professional football manager to the core not an Ipswich Town supporter.
We had the same nonsense up in Scotland when Brendan Rodgers left Celtic. Utterly embarrassing and entitled supporters.
If he leaves and its a big if, then he should leave with the best of wishes and for Town supporters to be eternally grateful for the job he has done.