McKenna - on his future at Ipswich Town.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: McKenna - on his future at Ipswich Town.

Post by Bluemike » Thu May 23, 2024 1:04 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 12:52 pm
Here are my two penny worth on KM's possible move to Chelsea, the replacement I would see is Mark Robbins from Coventry who's loyal, and knows how to build a strong team as he has proven, You'll all laugh at my choice but there's no better one that I can see at this time.
We were talking about Mark Robins this morning, another very good option and let's face it, Coventry were playing some decent football too.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu May 23, 2024 1:07 pm

rossi wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 1:00 pm
KM is on good money, but I'm betting he lives to a fairly hgh standard - so much so that my guess is that he has not much more left over from his salary after his expenditure than we do.
Sorry but that's bull-poo. See my earlier post, money only disappears if you're stupid with it. If you care what you look like/appear to others, or want to stroke your own ego because of insecurities, then yes, money vanishes very quickly.

McKenna doesn't seem that type of person to me, and he will know how cut-throat being a football manager is, he will know that if his teams fail, even if through no fault of his own, he could be back on a fraction of his current wage in a heart beat. You look at the money and assets you have and you budget that for the rest of your life, any extra you get is a bonus and you readjust. If McKenna is happy with state schools and the NHS, then he's set for life and can retire now.

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu May 23, 2024 1:40 pm

Denny61 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 1:03 pm
shabba wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 11:19 am
Side note, but it annoys me when people say 'oh they have enough money, they don't need any more, I;d be set up for life tc', thats based on your current situation....trust me these people have huge outgoings.
They live in big houses with big bills, and high upkeep. 'Oh the roof needs doing, that'll be 100k'. I mean even redoing a big kitchen could end up at 100k in some of these big places.
They drive high price cars, with high runninbg costs and high depreciation etc.
They will not travel to 4 star hotels on Jet 2 for a holiday, they will fly privte, 1st class, or at least business class and that really adds up when taking a family on trips in peak time.
They will have kids in private schools, those fee's can be HUGE, and they probably paying for all their relatives kids to also go to these schools.

There lifestyle is not the same and they will be burning through serious money, they might even be putting alot away for investing and the future too, or buying houses, cars, holidays for all their family members and so on - it soon adds up to huge amounts.
Your reading too many rich people stories and watching too much crap TV..kardashians ..etc .get a life man ..kieran doesn't strike me as that sort of person. He's humble ..works hard values money and appreciates it and won't let it change him..
I know some wealthy people- you'd perhaps be suprised and how they still don't have much free money. Agree KM is not like this but he still will be spending a fair amount I'd imagine. My main point was that its not about YOU but also all those you can support and change the lives of when you are the one earning big money. KM would do this job for 10% of the salary, as would most footballers.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu May 23, 2024 1:44 pm

shabba wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 1:04 pm
rossi wrote:
marko69 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 12:34 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: This is the funniest post of the day so far. :lol:
(I assume you were joking?)

All of what you say is indeed true....... But , a £5M per year for 4 years contract sort of makes most things very affordable. :lol:

But that was a sort of "how the other half live" type of humour, right?
I don't think Shabba was joking at all - I can quite see what he was getting at.

30 years ago, I had a well paid secure job with a global trading company, earning far more than the UK average at the time and with pretty good yearly bonus too. Then came the IT contractors revolution on the 1990s where contractors were in huge demand and could virtually name their own daily rate. Daily rates were ridiculous, so I joined the bandwagon. But instead of saving the extra money I was making, most of it got swallowed up by living to a higher standard. Once you live at a certain standard, it's very difficult to adjust down.

KM is on good money, but I'm betting he lives to a fairly hgh standard - so much so that my guess is that he has not much more left over from his salary after his expenditure than we do. So any extra income is not to be taken lightly. And don't forget, he'll lose 45% of that 5M per year to HMRC
You spent it on booze, cars and women - the rest you wasted? ;)
ha - maybe :D

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu May 23, 2024 1:44 pm

shabba wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 1:40 pm
I know some wealthy people- you'd perhaps be suprised and how they still don't have much free money.
Money talks, wealth whispers.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu May 23, 2024 1:50 pm

Ricco wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 1:07 pm
rossi wrote:
KM is on good money, but I'm betting he lives to a fairly hgh standard - so much so that my guess is that he has not much more left over from his salary after his expenditure than we do.
Sorry but that's bull-poo. See my earlier post, money only disappears if you're stupid with it. If you care what you look like/appear to others, or want to stroke your own ego because of insecurities, then yes, money vanishes very quickly.

McKenna doesn't seem that type of person to me, and he will know how cut-throat being a football manager is, he will know that if his teams fail, even if through no fault of his own, he could be back on a fraction of his current wage in a heart beat. You look at the money and assets you have and you budget that for the rest of your life, any extra you get is a bonus and you readjust. If McKenna is happy with state schools and the NHS, then he's set for life and can retire now.
Yep, that was why I thought Shabba was joking. :lol:

Removing the 45%...... Calculates at just over £2.5M x 4 equalling £10M ----->>> :lol: :lol: :lol: How extravagant do people think young Kieron is?!

Obviously the £5M over 4yrs is speculation also. Think someone plucked that figure as well. A lot of plucking pluckers out there.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Thu May 23, 2024 1:51 pm

Ricco wrote:
rossi wrote:

100% correct.
30 years ago i was in the same position as Rossi and did the exact opposite to what he did and invested.
Still a contractor but have set my daughters up and have security.
Have many contractor friends who spent the lot, I guess it how you view things.

Kieron McKenna seems a very grounded and sensible man who grew up in Northern Ireland where you quickly get brought down to earth when you get above your station. So I expect that money will be a small part of what he is about

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu May 23, 2024 1:53 pm

I'm bored of the Premier League already, knew I would be, roll on relegation.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu May 23, 2024 2:02 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 1:53 pm
Well......, need to wait for the fixture list.

If first 3 is Bouremouth , Everton & Forest ......., there is chance of a positive start at least.

If it's gunners, Citeh & Liverpool........ Heads down, sack the boss, fans arguing with Morsy, relegated by August 31st. ---->>

---->>> Kieron on the rock n roll.... Needs to sell his £7M hoose, sell his sports cars and get the kids into the schemey school!

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Thu May 23, 2024 2:15 pm

Would we have been in a better position to hold on to kieran if we had only got to playoffs.and lose any Spend another season in championship..clubs probably not interest then ..kieran will stay as its his project. Then this time nxt year. All clubs probably have néw managers..and then mckenna will have less suitors .how sudden success can feck up everything..

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu May 23, 2024 2:18 pm

You're actually right, promotion has come too soon lol.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu May 23, 2024 2:57 pm

It looks like De Zerbi is going to fill the Chelsea vacancy. That’s one opportunity out of the way. I don’t think McKenna will leave us for Brighton and that only leaves the Man United job which I don’t think will happen for him.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu May 23, 2024 3:14 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 2:57 pm
It looks De Zerbi is going to fill the Chelsea vacancy. That’s one opportunity out of the way. I don’t think McKenna will leave us for Brighton and that only leaves the Man United job which I don’t think will happen for him.
He's still favourite vs De Zerbi for Chelsea from what I can see Charny. I'm most worried about Man United to be honest, he has previous there and they will best placed to know how good he is. The club is a complete mess top to bottom, he should avoid, but his history there will make it very interesting to him, I think a big career goal of his is to manage them, and it would be hard for him to turn down.

It astounds me, I know he's been assistant at Man U etc, but he's not managed a single game of top flight football and has only had one season in a second flight league and has never topped a league. Why on Earth can two 'big 6' Prem teams and a top half Prem team be so attracted? Where have all the good and experienced managers gone?! He's clearly bloody good, we all know that, but a very different skill set is needed at the top end of the Premiership.

Football is bonkers.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu May 23, 2024 3:20 pm

Just read this on London News latest;

Chelsea manager: Brighton agree compensation for Roberto De Zerbi.

That was the headline.

He would also be a much lower risk appointment and fits well with Chelsea. I think this is as good as vacancy filled.

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu May 23, 2024 3:43 pm

Ricco wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 3:14 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 2:57 pm
It looks De Zerbi is going to fill the Chelsea vacancy. That’s one opportunity out of the way. I don’t think McKenna will leave us for Brighton and that only leaves the Man United job which I don’t think will happen for him.
He's still favourite vs De Zerbi for Chelsea from what I can see Charny. I'm most worried about Man United to be honest, he has previous there and they will best placed to know how good he is. The club is a complete mess top to bottom, he should avoid, but his history there will make it very interesting to him, I think a big career goal of his is to manage them, and it would be hard for him to turn down.

It astounds me, I know he's been assistant at Man U etc, but he's not managed a single game of top flight football and has only had one season in a second flight league and has never topped a league. Why on Earth can two 'big 6' Prem teams and a top half Prem team be so attracted? Where have all the good and experienced managers gone?! He's clearly bloody good, we all know that, but a very different skill set is needed at the top end of the Premiership.

Football is bonkers.

Even more insane is the Leicester boss being linked to top jobs, I mean is it me of did they flop over the line? I was hardly inpsired by their second half of the season.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu May 23, 2024 4:07 pm

Bluemike wrote:
That’s ridiculous Mike. Frustrated maybe but boring definitely not.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Thu May 23, 2024 4:37 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 4:07 pm
Bluemike wrote:
If we had finished 10th we would have all been happy and thinking about how good it was going to be next season as we built a team for getting into the premiership, I'm also bored and absolutely fed up with all this speculation about KMc.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu May 23, 2024 4:48 pm

Cabanas Blue wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 4:37 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
If we had finished 10th we would have all been happy and thinking about how good it was going to be next season as we built a team for getting into the premiership, I'm also bored and absolutely fed up with all this speculation about KMc.
I’m fed up with the McKenna situation too but it’s not his or the clubs doing and is simply a consequence of his and the football clubs success. To wish that all away after celebrating last seasons success in my opinion is madness, and had we missed out on promotion there’s every possibility we’d simply become an established Championship club at best. As soon as we give up wanting to win and be successful we may as well stop watching and take up another interest.
The way some are talking you’d think this situation had been dragging on for months when in fact it’s only two week and a couple of day’s since we were promoted.
Personally I think we’re just unlucky that so many Premier League clubs are looking to change their management and our guy is the current high profile flavour of the month.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu May 23, 2024 5:20 pm

Isn't McKenna possibly wishing it all away?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu May 23, 2024 5:39 pm

Cabanas Blue wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 4:37 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
Subject to how 10th was reached.

Rose to 10th, just missing out on play-offs —>> satisfied fanbase. (Unless of course its Hull citys Rosenior, then its shyte)

Drop to 10th from autos ——>> Kieron Out, get McCarthy back to consolidate another 20yrs in the second tier.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu May 23, 2024 5:45 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 1:51 pm
Ricco wrote:
rossi wrote:

100% correct.
30 years ago i was in the same position as Rossi and did the exact opposite to what he did and invested.

Kieron McKenna seems a very grounded and sensible man who grew up in Northern Ireland where you quickly get brought down to earth when you get above your station. So I expect that money will be a small part of what he is about
When did I say what I did with my earnings? Oh, that's right, I didn't. It's true that my lifestyle improved, I ate better, drank better, and had flash cars. But I did invest a bit into my property portfolio which is why I have a number of properties both in the UK and in Philippines :) . Never presume to judge me by your own narrow-minded standards - if you can't state facts about people then it's probably better to say nothing at all :wink:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu May 23, 2024 5:53 pm

rossi wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 5:45 pm
valleyroad wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 1:51 pm
Ricco wrote:

100% correct.

When did I say what I did with my earnings? Oh, that's right, I didn't. It's true that my lifestyle improved, I ate better, drank better, and had flash cars. But I did invest a bit into my property portfolio which is why I have a number of properties both in the UK and in Philippines :) . Never presume to judge me by your own narrow-minded standards - if you can't state facts about people then it's probably better to say nothing at all :wink:
Ronan Keating offered similar advice.

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Thu May 23, 2024 6:16 pm

I have to say I'm a tad disappointed with all the speculation going on on this site right now. I know its the dead time of the year when we (fans) all have to continue our football chat but all we are doing is falling for the dross and mostly rubbish speculation of the newspapers who have to fill their sports pages with their so-called knowledge of what is going on in the close season and WE ARE FALLING FOR IT. I have seen nothing that makes me think that KM won't still be at Ipswich when the new season starts. The one thing that he and Ashton have said ,and more than once,is that they are planning for their first season in the Premier League and that KM is excited about the challenge. He has built this side and I really can't see him going to Brighton,Chelsea or even Man U right now and quite frankly I can't see Man U coming in for him YET which is not to say that he might not end up there one day in the future. Brighton? You must be joking - yes they are pretty well managed and have played some great football over the last few years but really , does any Ipswich supporter ,or KM consider them a bigger and better run club than ITFC is right now? I just don't believe that KM will give up his and Ashton's plans for the club over the next few years. KM has always said this is a project for him and I'm absolutely positive he meant that and the project is not yet completed. I'm sure that KM has the self confidence to target a top 10 finish next season at the very least at a club that suits him and as far as we know suits his young family as well.
I'm convinced he'll be here with us next season.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu May 23, 2024 6:19 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 5:20 pm
We don’t know what McKenna is thinking. For all we know he’s working 18 hrs a day planning for next season with the owners and His management team and sorting out his contract with ITFC.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu May 23, 2024 6:19 pm

This was supposed to be a celebration. After all what we got here, return to the Premier League after 22 years, arguably the best individual season just endured in all of that time, the best collection of players in many a year and hope and expectation near it's very best for best part of a quarter-century.

Just seems all the above is being harmed or put in jeopardy by clubs looking to take McKenna away. This is supposed to be a relaxing time, all hard work of the last nine months and success with it, just seems to have been tarnished by this whole damn manager issue and whether he'll stay on, or likely be led elsewhere. Say again it's supposed to be a time of celebration but overshadowed or even trivialized by the (now) entire issue of how or when we can keep our manager to ourselves.

Understand we've offered a quadruple salary for next season if he stays in place but the source of information seems dubious. Suppose there's any truth in it, only goes to show how highly we rate the individual but would be nice for some settlement on this issue. Just seems each passing hour the truth leads down a different path as to when or where McKenna may move on. One last time it just seems to have spoiled the (overall) end of season triumph here.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu May 23, 2024 7:27 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 6:19 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 5:20 pm
We don’t know what McKenna is thinking. For all we know he’s working 18 hrs a day planning for next season with the owners and His management team and sorting out his contract with ITFC.
I would be unsurprised if that were true. He must be super excited for the season ahead and desperate to get things setup and ready for it.

ITFC2024

Post by ITFC2024 » Thu May 23, 2024 7:32 pm

When we were promoted I had this great sense of relief that finally we were back where we belong. I still feel that way, but current events and media speculation suggest we have to earn that right again, to belong. It’s really hard not to feel animosity towards Kieran if he does in fact want to leave, but I also realize it’s not fair for me to be critical of his aspirations.

I’m trying to remain calm and reflect on the fact we were in League One just two years ago. Whatever happens with McKenna, we’re still in the Premier League now. In Mark Ashton and the owners I trust. It will all work out in the end.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu May 23, 2024 7:43 pm

RRanger wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 6:16 pm
I have to say I'm a tad disappointed with all the speculation going on on this site right now. I know its the dead time of the year when we (fans) all have to continue our football chat but all we are doing is falling for the dross and mostly rubbish speculation of the newspapers who have to fill their sports pages with their so-called knowledge of what is going on in the close season and WE ARE FALLING FOR IT. I have seen nothing that makes me think that KM won't still be at Ipswich when the new season starts. The one thing that he and Ashton have said ,and more than once,is that they are planning for their first season in the Premier League and that KM is excited about the challenge. He has built this side and I really can't see him going to Brighton,Chelsea or even Man U right now and quite frankly I can't see Man U coming in for him YET which is not to say that he might not end up there one day in the future. Brighton? You must be joking - yes they are pretty well managed and have played some great football over the last few years but really , does any Ipswich supporter ,or KM consider them a bigger and better run club than ITFC is right now? I just don't believe that KM will give up his and Ashton's plans for the club over the next few years. KM has always said this is a project for him and I'm absolutely positive he meant that and the project is not yet completed. I'm sure that KM has the self confidence to target a top 10 finish next season at the very least at a club that suits him and as far as we know suits his young family as well.
I'm convinced he'll be here with us next season.
I understand your disappointment but this is the single biggest topic of discussion for this or any close season.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu May 23, 2024 8:23 pm

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu May 23, 2024 8:35 pm

Poch may be the saving grace there, I'm not sure he's enough, but lucky he's available and 🙏

I'm sure McKenna was 12/1 for the United job just yesterday. I was tempted to stick a wodge on, that way I'd at least have something to cry into if he left.

I was worried about Man Utd, why else would he mention Sir Alex the other day? And it's the club he supported growing up I believe, plus his obvious history and familiarity there.

I'm sure the clubs will approach and talk to multiple managers, it would be madness not to, even if to only say "we have other options if you don't sign", but yeesh, I thought those last few weeks before promotion were as agonising as it could get :lol: