McKenna - on his future at Ipswich Town.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: McKenna - on his future at Ipswich Town.

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 24, 2024 3:28 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 1:32 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 1:11 pm
Xavi sacked by Barcelona, expect McKenna to be in the frame :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol: You bstd!!! Coffee came down my nose with that one.
:lol: :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri May 24, 2024 4:21 pm

The Town Big Guns are now involved. Not sure if this good or bad news for us …..

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... post554504

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri May 24, 2024 4:47 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 3:28 pm
marko69 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 1:32 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 1:11 pm
Xavi sacked by Barcelona, expect McKenna to be in the frame :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol: You bstd!!! Coffee came down my nose with that one.
:lol: :lol:

You jest but it would only be marginally more bizarre than when Barcelona surprisingly appointed Terry Venables in 1982 when he was manager at Queens Park Rangers.

Earlier in his career, Venables just like McKenna now, was surprisingly offered the Arsenal job to replace Bertie Lee, at the time he’d only just taken up his first managers job at 2nd tier Crystal Palace where he’d previously been Malcolm Allinson’s assistant.

Turning down Arsenal certainly didn’t damage Venables managerial career, maybe McKenna should take note as few managers have had a more illustrious career than Venables.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Fri May 24, 2024 5:05 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 4:21 pm
The Town Big Guns are now involved. Not sure if this good or bad news for us …..

The fact that Schwartz has come over says to me that McKenna is definitely off I'm sorry to say 😫

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 24, 2024 5:43 pm

Yep I agree, last desperate attempt to keep him.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 24, 2024 5:47 pm

I'm reading Ten Hag to be sacked after cup final irrespective of outcome.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri May 24, 2024 5:51 pm

I know one thing, if McKenna leaves, for any of those three suitors, I doubt he’ll be coming back for any of the Town players…..

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri May 24, 2024 5:53 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 5:51 pm
I know one thing, if McKenna leaves, for any of those three suitors, I doubt he’ll be coming back for any of the Town players…..
£90m move for Marcus Harness.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri May 24, 2024 6:12 pm

hallamblue wrote:

I think him coming over is a positive. I don’t necessarily see it a desperate move, more a responsible owner doing his job to retain a key member of staff. Throughout my career I’ve seen it work and it could be the difference in McKenna staying or leaving.

ITFC2024

Post by ITFC2024 » Fri May 24, 2024 6:28 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 6:12 pm
hallamblue wrote:

I think him coming over is a positive. I don’t necessarily see it a desperate move, more a responsible owner doing his job to retain a key member of staff. Throughout my career I’ve seen it work and it could be the difference in McKenna staying or leaving.
Yep agree with that. If nothing else, he’s also here to discuss possible replacements. I was fairly confident Kieran would remain with us, but the Man Utd link is most worrying. Like someone else said, he’ll definitely take the job if offered. His family will probably welcome it too since they were settled in Manchester. Don’t know about everyone else, but I can’t keep my eyes off the newsfeeds. It’s hard to get any work done because I’m constantly distracted.

ITFC2024

Post by ITFC2024 » Fri May 24, 2024 6:53 pm

Here’s some positive news for a change:
https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... ecruitment

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri May 24, 2024 7:18 pm

Until I hear something to make me feel differently I still think there’s a 50/50 chance McKenna will stay and the only way that won’t happen is if Man United want him, but personally I think that’s too higher risk with some of their prima donna players.

ITFC2024

Post by ITFC2024 » Fri May 24, 2024 8:31 pm

Just had a revelation, do we really want a manager who’s not committed to Ipswich Town? Not sure I want him to stay now.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri May 24, 2024 8:39 pm

ITFC2024 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 8:31 pm
Just had a revelation, do we really want a manager who’s not committed to Ipswich Town? Not sure I want him to stay now.
Maybe you're talking hyperthetically, but at no time have I heard KM say anything to make me think he is not committed to Ipswich Town. Various media sources seem to have plenty to say about it, they seem to be privy to Ipswich offering new terms and what those terms are.

In Keiran McKenna I still trust, until he gives any reason for me to do otherwise!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 24, 2024 8:41 pm

ITFC2024 wrote:
IF he has implied he wants a move and we are trying to get him to change his mind then no I don't want him to stay.

ITFC2024

Post by ITFC2024 » Fri May 24, 2024 8:47 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 8:39 pm
ITFC2024 wrote:
Maybe you're talking hyperthetically, but at no time have I heard KM say anything to make me think he is not committed to Ipswich Town. Various media sources seem to have plenty to say about it, they seem to be privy to Ipswich offering new terms and what those terms are.

In Keiran McKenna I still trust, until he gives any reason for me to do otherwise!
Yeah but he hasn’t done a press conference to say he’s flattered by the offers, and that he’s committed to ITFC has he? He should have done that two weeks ago. Sorry, I think it’s better for the club now if he moves on. Hopefully a decision will be made soon so we can all move on.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri May 24, 2024 9:05 pm

Just seen this posted on twtd: it hasn’t copied over as it should. But it was a Times article stating McKenna had an interview at Brighton

If true he has plummeted in my estimation:

Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Page: < previous1next >
Brighton interviewed McKenna on Wednesday 19:57 - May 24 with 1354 views SitfcB

According to the Times.

And he’s waiting for Man Utd, as it’s (obviously) his number 1 choice.

Twtd poster then said……

I would be very surprised if McKenna is Man Utd’s first choice, can’t see them wanting someone like him in charge at this moment in time.

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri May 24, 2024 9:19 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 9:05 pm
Just seen this posted on twtd: it hasn’t copied over as it should. But it was a Times article stating McKenna had an interview at Brighton

If true he has plummeted in my estimation:

Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Page: < previous1next >
Brighton interviewed McKenna on Wednesday 19:57 - May 24 with 1354 views SitfcB

According to the Times.

And he’s waiting for Man Utd, as it’s (obviously) his number 1 choice.

Twtd poster then said……

I would be very surprised if McKenna is Man Utd’s first choice, can’t see them wanting someone like him in charge at this moment in time.
I honestly can’t see him going to Man U. I don’t think the players would want him (they made disparaging remarks about him being like a schoolmaster) and neither do the fans. I think Brighton is more likely, followed by Chelsea. I have a feeling that he is looking for / expecting a move away to a more established prem side, and works be very surprised if he stayed. I think the search is probably on for a replacement.

And I’ll say again why I’ve said before; whether he is here or elsewhere, i don’t see him being successful. I’m very grateful for some exciting, attacking football. But his defensive record over the last two seasons suggests the prem is currently beyond his ability. I’m sure he’ll learn in time, but his first half season at least is unlikely to be a good one.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri May 24, 2024 9:38 pm

It will interesting now if none of the teams decide to go with him, they all have other valid and safer options.

I imagine he will have a lot of explaining to do.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Fri May 24, 2024 9:54 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 8:41 pm
ITFC2024 wrote:
I agree , I just can't understand after all the success over the last two seasons that anyone would not want to stay and give it a go in the Premier, the players must be gutted.
We owe him a lot but it was Ipswich that gave him the opportunity and if he leaves without giving us one season in the prem with him in charge I'm afraid I won't be wishing him well.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Fri May 24, 2024 10:02 pm

I agree that IF he goes then I would be very disappointed in him and he would not go with my best regards. However... we simply don't know if he is staying or not so I will give him the benefit of the doubt until we find out. The story will out eventually.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri May 24, 2024 10:07 pm

And then there’s this …… I have no idea who exactly “ ronessex91” is but he seems to be ITK as they say ….. or is he? I haven’t a scooby doo anymore

“hi guys, just wanted to give you an update on the situation in regards to the manager.

obviously i have tried to give as much info about the club as i can in the chat server during most matches i watch so i will give you my look into the situation.

Kieran himself has not met any club nor has he himself spoken to any said club the media have said show interest.

his representatives have been contacted by 2 of the clubs mentioned but no serious talks have happened.

Ed schwartz was scheduled to come over before the rumour mill of Mckenna so this was expected

the way i see it going is this:

brighton- Mckenna is a big target for them but he doesnt see them as a right move if he was to move

Chelsea- McKenna is not their #1 target and is merely a back up option if their main targets dont come through

Man Utd- is the obvious more likely scenario to happen out of the clubs interested but again is not the main target for Man Utd, that falls to poch and tuchel

Ipswich Town- obviously would do anything to make sure he doesn't leave and i still see this happening, Mckenna has had a huge say on both the training ground upgrades and how the club operates and is fully in sync with the Ipswich project.

this is my take on the current situation and feel he will stay with us and lead us to the premierleague game week 1”

He has since added:

“im happy to send pictures of proof of being inside the training ground, im not going to directly use certain words but happy to show i am close to the club.

obviously in dm“
Last edited by hallamblue on Fri May 24, 2024 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri May 24, 2024 10:09 pm

FWIW, I think the Club could/ should have made some kind of statement by now. This media circus is ridiculous. Them being quiet has only helped fuel imo too.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri May 24, 2024 10:26 pm

Stuart Watson EADT:

It's time to address the elephant in the room.

According to a variety of national newspapers and broadcasters, Ipswich Town manager Kieran McKenna is coveted by a trio of Premier League clubs - Manchester United, Chelsea and Brighton. The media frenzy has been intense.

I know that Blues fans are full of angst right now. And I know that you are turning to us, the local press, for some clarity and/or reassurance.

Trust me, I wish we could give you more.

On Monday, I tried my best to write a measured opinion piece on the situation. On Wednesday, my colleagues and I had a candid chat on the Kings of Anglia podcast.

Why nothing firmer? The truth of the matter is this. I haven't got enough to fully verify what's out there or to write 'we understand' stories right now. It's a bold move for a journalist to be holding their hands up to that I know, but honesty is the best policy.

That's not to say I'm not digging or that information hasn't come my way. It has. Lots of it. I have to be 100% certain on the validity of that information though. There are always agendas to consider. Even those who are well-meaning may have been caught up in a game of Chinese whispers.

Not unnecessarily adding fuel to the fire is a responsibility I take seriously. That's why we've steered clear of micro updates based on what others have said.

East Anglian Daily Times: Ipswich Town boss Kieran McKenna grew up a Manchester United fan, was previously assistant manager there and has always stressed he wants to work at the very top levels of the game again.
Ipswich Town boss Kieran McKenna grew up a Manchester United fan, was previously assistant manager there and has always stressed he wants to work at the very top levels of the game again. (Image: PA)

Reading comments such as 'I'll believe it when the EADT writes it' fills me with pride. I'd rather be last and correct, rather than first and wrong/misleading. It takes discipline not to be trigger happy when the first bit of gossip comes your way. Multi-sourcing stories, especially one as big as this, is the right thing to do though (but also very difficult). It's what earns us your trust.

I've seen some of the conspiracy theories. One is that we are keeping quiet because of some sort of cozy relationship with the club. That's simply not the case. I don't really understand how that would benefit either party.

The reality is that only Kieran McKenna and a handful of other people will truly know what's happening. And I imagine that situation is changing by the hour.

They say there's no smoke without fire - and there's certainly a lot of smoke right now. This is me acknowledging the plumes, but telling you we've not yet got eyes on the flames.

In the meantime, we will be putting other ITFC content out. We have daily papers and websites to feed. Some interviews were conducted in the days after promotion. We hope they are still of interest to you and remind you of the many positives.

For now, I'll leave you to debate the following hypotheticals...

- Are all three clubs mentioned seriously interested in McKenna or are some being used to flush out interest from others?

- Will the result of tomorrow's FA Cup Final have any bearing on Erik ten Hag's future? If United do change boss, would they be bold enough to go with McKenna over more experienced options like Pochettino and Tuchel?

- How long will Brighton and Chelsea wait around for an answer if McKenna's waiting on Manchester United?

- Is Maresca really Chelsea's main target, or has that information been put out to force a decision from McKenna?

- Is there any way that when the music stops the only/most appealing chair left for McKenna is Ipswich? If so, how will he/the club address the previous speculation?

MCKENNA SPECULATION TIMELINE

Tuesday, May 14, 11.25pm: 'Manchester United ponder move for Kieran McKenna if Ten Hag departs' (Ed Aarons, The Guardian)

Saturday, May 18, 3.35pm: Brighton announce that manager Roberto De Zerbi will be leaving the club following their season-finale against Manchester United the following day.

Saturday, May 18, 5.41pm: 'Ipswich manager Kieran McKenna leads running for Brighton job after shock Roberto De Zerbi announcement' (Alex Crook/Joe Moore, talkSPORT)

Saturday, May 18, 7pm: 'Chelsea eye up Kieran McKenna with Mauricio Pochettino’s future in balance' (Jacob Steinberg, The Guardian)

Saturday, May 20: 'Ipswich Town could target Rob Edwards to take over if Kieran McKenna signs for Brighton' (Alex Crook, talkSPORT)

Sunday, May 21, 7.18pm: Chelsea announce that manager Mauricio Pochettino has left the club by 'mutual consent'

Sunday, May 21: McKenna is asked by Sky Sports, on camera, about the reports linking him to Brighton and Chelsea. He plays a straight bat, saying: “There's always speculation. That’s not where my focus is."

"That's not where my focus is" 💬

Ipswich Town manager Kieran McKenna responds to rumours of being strongly linked as the next manager at either Brighton or Chelsea 👇 pic.twitter.com/YiwgmTZHXH

— Sky Sports News (@SkySportsNews) May 22, 2024
Monday, May 22, 9.01pm: 'Brighton pushing to seal deal for Ipswich manager Kieran McKenna' (Jacob Steinberg, The Guardian)

Tuesday, May 21, 7.04pm: 'Chelsea target Ipswich’s McKenna after Pochettino leaves by mutual agreement' (Jacob Steinberg, The Guardian)

Wednesday, May 22, 11.27pm: 'Chelsea contact Ipswich about Kieran McKenna as club step up manager hunt' (Jacob Steinberg, The Guardian)

Wednesday, May 22, 1.10pm: 'Kieran McKenna offered new QUADRUPLE-your-money Ipswich contract to fight off Man Utd, Chelsea and Brighton interest' (Charlie Wyatt, The Sun)

Wednesday, May 22, 4.08pm: 'McKenna likely to reject new Ipswich deal' (Nick Mashiter, BBC)

Wednesday, May 22, 11.27pm: 'McKenna Among Chelsea's Top Targets' (TWTD)

Thursday, May 23, 1.45pm: 'Kieran McKenna will have choice between Brighton and Chelsea' (Gary Jacob, The Times)

Thursday, May 23, 7.13pm: 'Chelsea turn attention to Enzo Maresca in hunt for new manager' (Jacob Steinberg, The Guardian)

Thursday, May 23: 'Maresca, McKenna & Frank on Chelsea job shortlist' (Nizaar Kinsella, BBC)

Thursday, May 23, 5.49pm: 'Kieran McKenna, Enzo Maresca and Thomas Frank on four-man Chelsea shortlist' (Matt Law, The Telegraph)

Thursday, May 23, 8.36pm: 'Manchester United have drawn up a four-man shortlist of managerial candidates should they sack Erik ten Hag: Mauricio Pochettino, Thomas Tuchel, 󠁲󠁿Kieran McKenna and Thomas Frank' (Matt Lawton and Charlotte Duncker, The Times)

Friday, May 24: 'Kieran McKenna gives go-ahead to Blues move with Ipswich to demand £4m' (Nick Purewal, The Standard)

Friday, May 24, 11.02am: 'Manchester United make contact with Ipswich Town manager Kieran McKenna' (Dan Sheldon, The Athletic)

Friday, May 24, 11.58am: 'Kieran McKenna: Manchester United meet with representatives of Ipswich boss amid Chelsea interest' (Rob Dorsett, Sky Sports)

Friday, May 24, 4.12pm: 'Schwartz Flies Over For Talks With Ashton and McKenna' (TWTD)

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri May 24, 2024 11:46 pm

If all else fails, some of the post on this had me laughing out loud …. Funny! Either that or I’m losing it now ( no comments please!)

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/585038/phi ... t-days/#18

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri May 24, 2024 11:47 pm

Mourinho could come in if and when McKenna finds the exit at Portman Road so says an article read a short time ago. I don't know, as much as valuable McKenna is to us and no fan here really wants his departure, got to say that particular replacement idea has got some flavor to it. He worked with Sir Robert at Barcelona or PSV some time before so there's some connection to our club. It's not as tenuous as some would readily dismiss.

Mourinho may not be as same stature as years before or maybe as successful but hell I'd jump at the chance to see a figure like that taking control of team affairs here. Don't forget it were only very recent we were stuck with chumps like McCarthy, Jewell and Cook and all of the sudden there's talk Jose Mourinho could possibly enter or manage with us. McKenna leaving or not, that's something of a step-up.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 25, 2024 12:00 am

hallamblue wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 11:46 pm
If all else fails, some of the post on this had me laughing out loud …. Funny! Either that or I’m losing it now ( no comments please!)

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/585038/phi ... t-days/#18
Some funny replies there, Hallam......, but the bellevue poster saying, "He's almost certainly been interviewed by Brighton"......., Bullshit. People like to grab the big spoon and help the media outlets just stir the big pot of sh*t.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 25, 2024 12:01 am

arana peligrosa wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 11:47 pm
Mourinho could come in if and when McKenna finds the exit at Portman Road so says an article read a short time ago.
Well, there you go......, the bullshit gets BETTER with all these articles.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat May 25, 2024 6:16 am

I think Xavi from Barcelona could fill either the Chelsea or Manchester United vacancy if he’s prepared to cone to England.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat May 25, 2024 7:22 am

Who knows what's going on?

But I think he'll stay. He's an intelligent man and he'll realise:

If he goes to Chelsea, he'll be the sixth manager in six years. It took him 6 months to sort us out and he had a solid ceo at his beck and call. Yeah he gets Omari but it's not enough. Could too easily crash and burn

Too soon for Man Utd. Club an absolute mess and he'll need three years. He doesn't have the authority. Yet...

If he goes to Brighton he gains a reputation at 38 years old of a disloyal carpetbagger. Might have a great season but the vultures will continue to circle every time there's a vacancy.

If he stays at Ipswich, he shows great integrity. He can then say to Ashton and the owners, right I want this, this and this player. Anything above a 15th finish in May, his stock rises, and his stock is pretty bloody high right now