Marcus Evens....Hero or villain

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

User avatar
loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer
Posts: 3751
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:10 pm
Location: PETERBOROUGH
Contact:

Marcus Evens....Hero or villain

Post by loudnproud » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:18 pm

We all have our own opinions some more calculated than others. I do recall the first time i met the guy. Before it was officially announced that he was buying into ITFC. End of season players evening...Stood at the bar talking to a complete stranger {as i did not know at the time who he was}. Explaining to him what being a football fan was all about...The history of ITFC and what the club meant to the fans and the community in general.

He struck me as interested in what i was saying but reserved. Certainly not a football fan and this is perhaps what the real problem is at our club now. You see as fans,we spend vast amounts of our hard earned money to share success,to feel part of it. we express our passion in any way we can.

This club is being run as a business by a businessman whos heart lies with the pound rather than the badge. Because of his lack of understanding what owning a football club should be all about and the poor advice he has been given in respect of some managerial decisions. Big Mick was recommended by Harry Redknapp....Hurst was recommended by McCarthey...;{who i believe did so out of spite towards the fans} . Ian Hollyoway was on his way as his chosen one but was turned away when a certain CEO piped in with Keano. The errors of judgement at senior level we coming thick and fast. Not allowing Derek Bowden to remain was MEs first and biggest mistake.

I dont think Paul Lambert is a bad manager but a manager who is managed by some very poor non footballing people. People who do not understand what being a football fan is all about. His hands are im sure often tied. Giving PL such a massive contract extension without achieving anything is an example of MEs lack of footballing knowledge.

ME does indeed plough vast amounts of money into this club but not where it matters....The playing staff. As football fans,this is what is most important to us..Not free beers and pies or a fresh coat of paint or a digital ticket office....ME needs to take a long hard look at himself and as himself the question.....'Do i need this crap in my life at the moment?'......enjoy the season

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 12783
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: Marcus Evens....Hero or villain

Post by Charnwood » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:58 pm

I don’t believe ITFC is being run as a business and that’s part of the problem, if it were it’s only objective would be to make a profit. It certainly isn’t run as a stand alone business although I accept it may be the loss making subsidiary of a larger corporation or even a place to legally launder other money.

Given our current position we are very unlikely to attract any potential new buyer looking to make a profit, and that’s why we’re most likely to be stuck with ME for the medium term at the very least.

Although I’d prefer a change of ownership, in reality we’re probably better off sticking with what we have in the hope that one day we strike lucky with a manager building a team that can rise through the leagues without spending huge money, eg Bournemouth who still survive with average home attendances of circa 10,000.

I’m not sure what the future holds, but like many I’m not enjoying it much where we are.

User avatar
saint jude
Posts: 8935
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: Marcus Evens....Hero or villain

Post by saint jude » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:43 am

Don't view Evans as hero or villain. The operative words aren't suitable for family viewing but all told this is an individual who has an "interest" in a corner of business in which he don't seem to have an idea in which to succeed. Realize he has other business enterprises, guess ownership of this club is far from a priority regards other personal ventures.

I wish there was someone in higher authority who has the power to remove his as* and sent it on it's way but guess this is a situation that won't resolve itself until Evans himself decides to take an opportunity elsewhere. Better still divorce yourself completely from the game and never again involve oneself in sports club ownership. Ipswich Town Football Club is a hobby for Evans not a viable business focus, been said before (and) the fact remains.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 18078
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Marcus Evens....Hero or villain

Post by marko69 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:21 pm

Is it a hobby to Mevans? I thought hobbies were things that people take great interest in and invest money in? A train set hobby person? Make that train set bigger, better, better than everyone else's train set?
Not sure Mevans is really that bothered how far ITFC slip. He's "waiting" for Magilton, Keane, Jewell, McCarthy, Hurst, Lambert to MAKE it happen with (Keane aside) minimal investment.
Don't think that's "hobby" antics.

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 12783
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: Marcus Evens....Hero or villain

Post by Charnwood » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:26 pm

If we’re not run like a business or a hobby, how are we run ?

Tin Hat firmly fixed. 😎

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 18078
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Marcus Evens....Hero or villain

Post by marko69 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:38 pm

It is run like a business though. Just not a business that’s in the vicinity of being a priority.
People care about their hobby. No one can argue that.

User avatar
Ricco
Posts: 1917
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:05 pm

Re: Marcus Evens....Hero or villain

Post by Ricco » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:49 pm

Yes, plenty of businesses run at a loss... but generally with a plan and hope of being profitable in the future!!

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 21967
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Marcus Evens....Hero or villain

Post by Bluemike » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:12 pm

I actually think it's more admirable for any owner to run a business knowing it will never make profit and will cost them than to run one screaming off profits.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 18078
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Marcus Evens....Hero or villain

Post by marko69 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:23 pm

I’d like to agree on that and call it “admirable” but I just can’t. I think ITFC is a noose around his neck and he’d drop it like a haggis fart if the right buyer came along. Granted, he’s losing money every week...... but “admirable”??? Hmmm, nope. Can’t get on board with that. If it was Hibs and it was this far down the line after 2007, I’d want to kill the b*stard.

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 2867
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: Marcus Evens....Hero or villain

Post by number 9 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:01 pm

He may have saved the business end of ITFC, but he hasn't done a good job of sustaining the business. The club has been significantly devalued as a result of his so called business acumen. However, we are still 'afloat' I suppose in the sea of debt that surrounds us...but the hole in the bottom of the boat is getting bigger and we're sinking. (Cue the Titanic Film's theme song)

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 21967
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Marcus Evens....Hero or villain

Post by Bluemike » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:36 pm

Half of our debt was accrued long before Evans ever appeared so the good old family run club who every man and his dog loved should hang their heads in shame too, except they jumped from a sinking ship to save themselves before the sh*t really hit the fan.

User avatar
K L Blue
Posts: 4135
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:43 pm
Location: Kings Lynn

Re: Marcus Evens....Hero or villain

Post by K L Blue » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:45 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:36 pm
Half of our debt was accrued long before Evans ever appeared so the good old family run club who every man and his dog loved should hang their heads in shame too, except they jumped from a sinking ship to save themselves before the sh*t really hit the fan.
Sorry Mike, I disagree with the first part, Evans bought the debt for what £40 million, and how much do we owe him now? £120 million+
totally agree with the rest though.
As for how do I think Evans views the club, well as we're now part of the "Evans Group" I feel we're the tax writing off, loss making part of the group.
Evans imo wanted 1 of 2 things...……

1, we made it into the Premiership, Evans sells for a quick profit.
2, We don't make it into the premiership Evans has a company making a loss, thus helping him to pay less tax.

Yes Evans did "save" the club, but he also saw the 2 ways it could go, also couple that with FFP and you have the recipe for what we have now.
I feel sorry for Lambert I really do, because the only way he'll get any investment(other than to keep the club afloat) is to sell off any decent youngsters that come through, and even then it'll only be a percentage.

Bottom line = Evans won't sell unless he gets all his money back, and no-one wants to buy us for the price he'd sell at.

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 12783
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: Marcus Evens....Hero or villain

Post by Charnwood » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:56 pm

K L Blue wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:45 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:36 pm
Half of our debt was accrued long before Evans ever appeared so the good old family run club who every man and his dog loved should hang their heads in shame too, except they jumped from a sinking ship to save themselves before the sh*t really hit the fan.


Bottom line = Evans won't sell unless he gets all his money back, and no-one wants to buy us for the price he'd sell at.
So basically we’re stuck with him then !

User avatar
Mach_Polish_Blue
Posts: 1027
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:07 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Marcus Evens....Hero or villain

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:21 pm

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH !!!

Unfortunately our fanbase is the weirdest one in the world where everything is accepted. The years of toleration of failure and second best because we are sleepy little Ipswich. The owner's policy that led to relegation, no goals, no guts, no entertainment, no cup runs, no expectations, no anything. Absolute turd of the football club !

Therefore a small group of people will be involved in the protest prior to the Burton game. About 50 or so. It is planned anyway. Yes, small amount, yes they will be vilified and jeered by all the happy clappers but credit to them.

There are also other things in plans which have already been discussed in the hidden Evans Out groups. I also have to tell you that Marcus Evans Group have taken to deleting, censoring and banning Ipswich Town Football Club supporters from their Facebook page in the wake of growing criticism from the fanbase. That's a class way to treat your customers and shows you how Marcus Evans really feels about the support. !!!!

Personally I don't believe it's going to be noticed by Evans. But at least some group of people will let him know what they feel. He is a disaster that has been destroying our club for years and there seems to be no end of this.

Ando
Posts: 1180
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:03 am
Location: Out and about

Re: Marcus Evens....Hero or villain

Post by Ando » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:38 pm

Protests are a waste of time and only serve to drive a further wedge between fans and between fans and the club. It serves no purpose mid season and will just fuel a toxic atmosphere and turn fans away.

We all want results on the pitch and this does nothing to support it. Am I happy with where the club is of course not. Do I still enjoy going to games absolutely. The last year of MM drove me away but I’ve come back mainly to do with the atmosphere. I could easily of protested at games but there is no point. Do the protesting after the season has finished.

We still have every chance of promotion and negativity is not going to help one bit. The internet trolls are giving Norwood stick now, wtf are these people hoping to achieve? All it does is makes things worse!

I am all for people having an opinion and airing their views but there is a line and not to the detriment of match days. Again, I understand a few fans were swearing at the players after the Wimbledon game, it serves no purpose!

Some fans need to realise players know when they have had a bad game they don’t need toss pots ramming it down their throats!

Look back a month and see where Peterborough were and where they are now, it can change so quickly, let’s all get behind the team and if we fail to get promoted let’s all get in a field and kick the sh*t out of one another.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 21967
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Marcus Evens....Hero or villain

Post by Bluemike » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:49 pm

Agree with every word of that, and my God we have our share of toss pots. Well said.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 18078
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Marcus Evens....Hero or villain

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:40 pm

Aye but Ando, Mike...... the stark opposite is communism ffs! 🤷‍♂️ A very large number of people silently unhappy at a f**king Shyte regime?

Is there no middle ground on this forum between you lot? Is there no discussion of the issues that are glaringly clear to see? Let’s face it, the club have lost LnP....... and if his posts are anything to go by, he’s no tosspot. And I can’t really believe that the people to be spokesmen for people like LnP are all tosspots either. Passion must be in abundance at both ends of the spectrum.

User avatar
Ricco
Posts: 1917
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:05 pm

Re: Marcus Evens....Hero or villain

Post by Ricco » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:09 pm

K L Blue has it right. Evans has lost a heap of money and rather than sell and cut his losses, he'd rather risk losing a little bit more with the hope he might get it back and then some.

No one will buy the club for what he wants. He will not invest in to the club what it needs to succeed. Its a horrible downwards spiral that can only head down baring some exceptional management (which would dissappear to another club with some success anyway).

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 21967
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Marcus Evens....Hero or villain

Post by Bluemike » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:11 pm

Nope no middle ground for me, the toss pots are impossible to reason with and do nothing but harm to the club when they think they are doing good. , tried that many times over the years and failed. For the record at no point have I said LnP is such and I take issue with that, he is choosing to stay away, that is the way to protest if you want to do that, throwing fifty or so tools together to start unrest is far from the correct way to do it. Just my opinion of course. Gone are the days where I give a f*ck what the anti brigade think to be honest.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 18078
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Marcus Evens....Hero or villain

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:33 pm

Here is a big "IF"......, what if Delia offers to buy out Marcus? Like Wallace Mercer wanted to buy Hibs. Could the "tosspots" then count on you to join in on a big protest? :lol:

No I worded my last post wrong......, don't take offence. What I meant was, LnP's maybe not of the mind to go out and protest, but the people who DO protest, in your opinion, are tosspots? (Thats a question, not a statement)
What I mean is, do you feel fans should just stay away (like LnP) if they're unhappy? And then would you believe they are "fairweather" fans? Fickle fans? I am only asking you in particular the most because you do feel very VERY strongly about your fellow supporters. Looking on, to me, (and again, I may be wrong) in times of unrest, maybe some fans can't do things right for getting them wrong in your eyes? (Again thats a question)

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 2867
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: Marcus Evens....Hero or villain

Post by number 9 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:04 pm

I think a protest would have more of an effect if it was done outside of an Evan's Group convention event. How dare we interrupt the business ME really cares about! :lol:

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 18078
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Marcus Evens....Hero or villain

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:09 pm

number 9 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:04 pm
I think a protest would have more of an effect if it was done outside of an Evan's Group convention event. How dare we interrupt the business ME really cares about! :lol:
You might even get inside the convention if you got tickets from some random selling tickets on Marcus' behalf in the street. That might be illegal though. Better not.

User avatar
JohnnyB
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:05 am

Re: Marcus Evens....Hero or villain

Post by JohnnyB » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:57 pm

If you look at the size of ITFC fanbase (20k+ gates plus sizeable away support and therefore fairly sizeable merch sales potential) the club are undoubtedly seriously underachieving. On potential revenue alone, we should definitely be in the championship.

Evans may well have saved this club from serious financial peril when he took over in 2007, and who knows where we would be if he hadn’t, but after a brief spell of investment after he took the helm he seems content to preside over decline. And that’s heartbreaking for the fans!

I for one wish someone would come in with money and vision to take this club back to where it should be but unfortunately all I see recently is big investors interested in less successful big city clubs.

Still if the right person came along I don’t think they’d be any tears for the end of the Evans era.

Ando
Posts: 1180
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:03 am
Location: Out and about

Re: Marcus Evens....Hero or villain

Post by Ando » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:07 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:40 pm
Aye but Ando, Mike...... the stark opposite is communism ffs! 🤷‍♂️ A very large number of people silently unhappy at a f**king Shyte regime?

Is there no middle ground on this forum between you lot? Is there no discussion of the issues that are glaringly clear to see? Let’s face it, the club have lost LnP....... and if his posts are anything to go by, he’s no tosspot. And I can’t really believe that the people to be spokesmen for people like LnP are all tosspots either. Passion must be in abundance at both ends of the spectrum.
I thought my post was middle ground.😁. People have the right to free speech and do what they like within the law. I’m just saying there is a time and a place for protest and anywhere near the ground during match day is not the way imo.

I just think some fans fail to see the bigger picture. PL press conference today was one of his best, people need to listen to what he’s saying especially when asked about the wage bill etc, his reply was first class. Our good start set the expectations too high, there is no Devine right to win at any sport.

We are stuck with Evans whether we like it or not, if people don’t like it then support someone else or stay away from the games. Trying not to repeat myself, Yes the club has been on a downward spiral since Evans has been here. But would it have been worse without him? Who knows.

Protesting for ME out is ridiculous and laughable Mach is right ME won’t listen. He can’t just walk away there needs to be a credible buyer.

Anyway what’s LnP?

User avatar
K L Blue
Posts: 4135
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:43 pm
Location: Kings Lynn

Re: Marcus Evens....Hero or villain

Post by K L Blue » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:00 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:56 pm
K L Blue wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:45 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:36 pm
Half of our debt was accrued long before Evans ever appeared so the good old family run club who every man and his dog loved should hang their heads in shame too, except they jumped from a sinking ship to save themselves before the sh*t really hit the fan.


Bottom line = Evans won't sell unless he gets all his money back, and no-one wants to buy us for the price he'd sell at.
So basically we’re stuck with him then !
TBH Charrny, I think as much as we're stuck with him, He's stuck will us

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 2867
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: Marcus Evens....Hero or villain

Post by number 9 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:41 pm

What's a toss pot? :lol:

Words and phrases that won't lock a thread:
toss pot
naughty boy
the nothing special one
stinky ponker
plank
pillock
spare

What else...?

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 21967
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Marcus Evens....Hero or villain

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:21 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:33 pm
Here is a big "IF"......, what if Delia offers to buy out Marcus? Like Wallace Mercer wanted to buy Hibs. Could the "tosspots" then count on you to join in on a big protest? :lol:

No I worded my last post wrong......, don't take offence. What I meant was, LnP's maybe not of the mind to go out and protest, but the people who DO protest, in your opinion, are tosspots? (Thats a question, not a statement)
What I mean is, do you feel fans should just stay away (like LnP) if they're unhappy? And then would you believe they are "fairweather" fans? Fickle fans? I am only asking you in particular the most because you do feel very VERY strongly about your fellow supporters. Looking on, to me, (and again, I may be wrong) in times of unrest, maybe some fans can't do things right for getting them wrong in your eyes? (Again thats a question)
If Delia bought us out then yes I would be the biggest toss pot of us all and I can do that no problem lol. I don't see why me and many other fans should have our day etc ruined by the gobby few, we are supporters and that is not support. Ando has again worded it perfectly and with the hangover I have today I'm not capable atm lmao. The fact there was supposed to be only 50 protesters speaks volumes. Oh and I'm at the ground and didn't see or hear a thing, neither did Trev so probably just more hot air.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 18078
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Marcus Evens....Hero or villain

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:05 pm

They'll be folding their banners up like launderette women folding sheets if Ipswich can bag a couple more.

Disclaimer: Launderette women OR men.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 18078
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Marcus Evens....Hero or villain

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:07 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:41 pm
What's a toss pot? :lol:

Words and phrases that won't lock a thread:
toss pot
naughty boy
the nothing special one
stinky ponker
plank
pillock
spare

What else...?
The nothing special one. :lol:

Ando
Posts: 1180
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:03 am
Location: Out and about

Re: Marcus Evens....Hero or villain

Post by Ando » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:35 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:21 pm
marko69 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:33 pm
Here is a big "IF"......, what if Delia offers to buy out Marcus? Like Wallace Mercer wanted to buy Hibs. Could the "tosspots" then count on you to join in on a big protest? :lol:

No I worded my last post wrong......, don't take offence. What I meant was, LnP's maybe not of the mind to go out and protest, but the people who DO protest, in your opinion, are tosspots? (Thats a question, not a statement)
What I mean is, do you feel fans should just stay away (like LnP) if they're unhappy? And then would you believe they are "fairweather" fans? Fickle fans? I am only asking you in particular the most because you do feel very VERY strongly about your fellow supporters. Looking on, to me, (and again, I may be wrong) in times of unrest, maybe some fans can't do things right for getting them wrong in your eyes? (Again thats a question)
If Delia bought us out then yes I would be the biggest toss pot of us all and I can do that no problem lol. I don't see why me and many other fans should have our day etc ruined by the gobby few, we are supporters and that is not support. Ando has again worded it perfectly and with the hangover I have today I'm not capable atm lmao. The fact there was supposed to be only 50 protesters speaks volumes. Oh and I'm at the ground and didn't see or hear a thing, neither did Trev so probably just more hot air.
Evans is worth 10 times what delia is. Silly opinion

Post Reply