Our team as it stands

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

number 9

Re: Our team as it stands

Post by number 9 » Sat May 15, 2021 6:24 pm

I can understand some people's hesitation with the cull, but I'm not at all surprised. I remember Berke Bakay's reaction when asked if he was surprised their hadn't been an uptick in performances after Cook was assigned. He politely said he was slightly surprised, but I got the impression he was a bit more disappointed than he showed...as well he should have been.

These American owners are high on optimism and belief and they won't stand for underachievers. Either the players and managers perform or they'll be gone! If you think the Glazers are bad, you watch how quickly the smiles turn to frowns if we continue to be crap.

There are a few players from the squad I'll be sad to see go, but it will probably be better for them anyway if they get a new start. Yep I've questioned the quality of our Academy a few times to the disdain of others, but unfortunately there hasn't been enough young talent to get us out of this league. I am encouraged now with the success of the U18s, and I really hope we'll produce some excellent Academy Grads in the future.

For now, let Cook build a new team and let's see what happens. If we're still crap, I'll light the fireworks for you!

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat May 15, 2021 8:14 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 9:56 am
shabba wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 9:41 am
I also heard that comment on the podcast :).

My concern is what can we actually spend as we are limited by the fair play, would love to know what the actual max wage budget spend could be for us.

I think we won't hear too many rumours until the end of the month as officially I don't believe you can approach UK based out of contract players until start of June (1 month before their contract expires). Its 6 months for players in EU I think.
I think the budget is 60% of our revenue. And that , I believe, excludes transfer fees, just the players salaries. If we sell more season tickets and flog more players - then we get a bigger budget to play with. May be ways to circumvent that ie a big signing on fee and smaller salary (?). Over to Ashton on that one.
Ah sorry I was looking to figure out what the 60% would mean in terms of millions per year in wage budget? i.e I wonder would our wage ceiling is going to be, i.e 5m, 7m, 10m etc. I think Shef Wed are coming down with a 20m wage bill! (although I'd assume releasing some players will help)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 15, 2021 8:36 pm

£20M wage bill and finishing 2nd bottom in the championship.
And then their top earner, who helped relegate them doesn’t feel like playing League One sawker so is fecking off??
Tell me....... what other job works like this? It’s insane.
£20M wage bill for Sheffield Wednesday is ludicrous.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat May 15, 2021 8:51 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 8:36 pm
£20M wage bill and finishing 2nd bottom in the championship.
And then their top earner, who helped relegate them doesn’t feel like playing League One sawker so is fecking off??
Tell me....... what other job works like this? It’s insane.
£20M wage bill for Sheffield Wednesday is ludicrous.
And worse still, the club will come running to plead poverty and want bailing out,

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri May 21, 2021 3:41 pm

Goalie: Please not Holy!

RB:
CB:
CB:
LB:

DMF:
MF:
MF:
MF:
MF:

S: Norwood?

:lol: Looks bleak at the moment, doesn't it? COOOMEOOON YOUS GUYS!!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 21, 2021 5:13 pm

Yep its worrying we haven't announced anyone before the June 1st date when business can be officially done. I'm glad we aren't announcing freebie journeymen, hopefully we'll aim a little higher.