Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Kerry Blue

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by Kerry Blue » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:13 pm

George Edmundson has agreed a deal to leave Rangers.”

“Record Sport understands the defender has signed a three-year contract with an unnamed club.”

From what I've read several clubs want him on loan but Rangers want a permanent deal, I guess the fact that he played for Derby last season should mean he would be good enough in our league but I would prefer a more experienced older player also be had the no 4 shirt so I'm thinking right footed.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:09 pm

Is he really that young? Webster was 21 when he joined town and Edmundson is 24 in less than a month.

Not making a comparison and yeah, I guess center backs around the 28 year mark may seem a bit more experienced, but he wouldn't be young enough to scare me off?!

Why are Rangers so keen for a sale though??

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:13 pm

Ricco wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:09 pm
Is he really that young? Webster was 21 when he joined town and Edmundson is 24 in less than a month.

Not making a comparison and yeah, I guess center backs around the 28 year mark may seem a bit more experienced, but he wouldn't be young enough to scare me off?!

Why are Rangers so keen for a sale though??
Apparently he’s down the pecking order at Rangers and he’s had a bit of a run in with Rangers as he broke Covid rules and was banned for a number of games. Seemed to have done ok on loan at Derby, who appear to want him back on loan.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:58 pm

He is young if he's the senior CB, Webster had Chambo, Smith etc around him.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:03 pm

The same paper is saying his transfer fee is 1 million that's more than we should pay he has 4 in front of him at Rangers and has not been a success for them.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:06 pm

Kerry Blue wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:13 pm

“Record Sport understands the defender has signed a three-year contract with an unnamed club.”

From what I've read several clubs want him on loan but Rangers want a permanent deal, I guess the fact that he played for Derby last season should mean he would be good enough in our league but I would prefer a more experienced older player also be had the no 4 shirt so I'm thinking right footed.
Someone has posted on twtd that we are “ a way down the line for another defender who is experienced and a well known name “ , plus 2 other players who are at an advanced stage of negotiations “ . Fingers crossed eh 🤞

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:58 am

Blue Govan Rangers conceded what 12 goals in the League win a few months back, they must have some real class defenders there to allow one to move on. Took in a view of News Now for breaking stories relating us, find it a more comprehensive item than TWTD, of course it caters for a whole many other teams throughout but could find no conformation we had signed anyone else or terms and contracts agreed.

Don't know when the transfer deadline is this time around but a new season is coming up fast. You don't feel we've seen the last of names coming in but above all else, what a welcome change it is to see the club doing business as efficiently as they have. Might not be players (or number of) in to everyone's satisfaction but the increase in activity is highly commendable when recent managers and owners would have sat idly by letting time and opportunities pass. Cook and Game Changer Group still have it all to do and prove but the motivation in getting things done is once again commendable.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:10 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:06 pm
Kerry Blue wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:13 pm

Someone has posted on twtd that we are “ a way down the line for another defender who is experienced and a well known name “ , plus 2 other players who are at an advanced stage of negotiations “ . Fingers crossed eh 🤞
I think it was the same source that broke the news that we were in for Celina. That proved right, although it annoyed Ashton.

Apparently, two signings all but done and we’re well down the road with a well-known experienced CB.

If true, we could do with these, especially the CB’s…and a couple of extra bodies. You’d think we’d want to get things finalised in the next couple of weeks.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:27 am

Looks like the deal for the Rangers CB is well on course 👍

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/513828/edm ... h-soon…/#5

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:28 am

Sadly its sometimes out of our hands regarding the rapidity of such things. If the rumour is true it is very good news and will see us all but there personnel wise.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:59 am

According to Football Insider a fee has been agreed with Rangers for George Edmunson circa £1m

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sour ... edmundson/

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:48 am

Blimey! Does anyone else feel that is a serious amount of money at this level for someone who isn’t really a proven player? I think he only played 9 games on loan at derby?

I wouldn’t mind spending a million on a seasoned championship defender where you know what you’re getting to some extent. This is a young ish player with a black mark against him for that Covid breach etc. Just worrying to throw a million at him, but I hope im wrong.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:08 am

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:16 am

Conor Chaplin would be a very good signing and possibly spells the end of Norwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:17 am

shabba wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:48 am
Blimey! Does anyone else feel that is a serious amount of money at this level for someone who isn’t really a proven player? I think he only played 9 games on loan at derby?

I wouldn’t mind spending a million on a seasoned championship defender where you know what you’re getting to some extent. This is a young ish player with a black mark against him for that Covid breach etc. Just worrying to throw a million at him, but I hope im wrong.
I completely agree, I want experience at CB, not sure he is it tbh.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:32 am

Hi everyone, haven’t posted for a while but keep up from afar.

Conor Chaplin would be a very good signing for us. But what’s his motivation? Dropping from a team that finished fifth in the Championship to a league one club? That’s a bigger drop than either Crooks or Bradley were being asked to make, isn’t it? If true, there must be big money or big persuasion

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:51 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:16 am
Conor Chaplin would be a very good signing and possibly spells the end of Norwood
Wouldn’t he be one that would be brought in as a wide player? Maybe next in line for Celina?

Nors will get us 20 goals+ - don’t write him off yet. :D

It’s up to Ashton to do the math - but we can afford all these salaries to stay within the budget?

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:54 am

We are certainly trying to get quality players in we won't get them all but it's looking good, I wouldn't think Celina will be coming now with the interest in Chaplin.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:54 am

We could be signing Conor Chaplin to play as a wide player which is one of his preferred roles. I’d much prefer to see a taller striker playing a central role than CC at 5’7”.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:59 am

Weren’t Barnsley interested in Downes?

Swap or part-exchange?

Seems strange that Barnsley would want to get rid unless we could offer Downes.
Last edited by Tangfastic on Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:00 am

With Chaplin coming in could be the end of Jackson, he is not that effective and would add to a really good attack choice.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:02 am

Dazzz67 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:00 am
With Chaplin coming in could be the end of Jackson, he is not that effective and would add to a really good attack choice.
Jackson’s gone already IMO - he just hasn’t left the building.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:12 am

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:59 am
Weren’t Barnsley interested in Downes?

Swap or part-exchange?

Seems strange that Barnsley would want to get rid unless we could offer Downes.
Oh yeah that makes sense

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:51 am

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:02 am
Dazzz67 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:00 am
Jackson’s gone already IMO - he just hasn’t left the building.
Funny isn’t it, that no clubs appear interested in him. I think “ attitude” might be an issue here. Bet he ends up in League Two again.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:22 pm

Can we not just bin Jackson off if he is such an issue? must be clauses in the contract, sure if I acted like a donkey and did not pull my weight at work id be long gone.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:36 pm

Dazzz67 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:22 pm
Can we not just bin Jackson off if he is such an issue? must be clauses in the contract, sure if I acted like a donkey and did not pull my weight at work id be long gone.
He was out of contract and We actually triggered his contract by a year. So that we can get a fee of some kind. That might bite us on the bum if we can’t offload.
I haven’t heard of any attitude problems with Cook, but Lambert made him train with the 23’s.
He might be one of the ones we can offload at the end of the window - when clubs want to fill up their squads with 3rd or 4th choice strikers. Like Hawkins.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:53 pm

Cook seemed to lose patience with him when he got sent off moments after coming on as I recall, it was a terrible tackle.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:00 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:53 pm
Cook seemed to lose patience with him when he got sent off moments after coming on as I recall, it was a terrible tackle.
That was Lambert.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:02 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:53 pm
The Sunderland game and very soon after the match kicked off. If that was Jackson's attempt to show passion/desire to Paul Lambert it was very OTT and backfired spectacularly.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:08 pm

Another addition to the backroom staff....

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... ch-8183892

Never known there to be so many roles within a football team! If that is the way football is now, perhaps this shows further proof of how much of a Mickey Mouse outfit we were becoming under Evans (who hands up i was nearly always in support of while he was running the club).