Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Paul Cooks 1st Transfer Window rumour thread.

Post by marko69 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:52 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:08 pm
....the corner flag.....
Made me think of a Scottish comedy show from the 90s......., Guy dressed up as Archie McPherson in the commentary box......,

Rangers game (before they went bust and ceased to exist):
"Gasgoigne, to Stevens, lovely ball through to McCoist, McCoist cuts it back to AMORUSO....., AMORUSO TAKES THE SHOT......, and its out for a throw in." :lol:

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:55 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:52 pm
Shed on tour wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:08 pm
....the corner flag.....
Made me think of a Scottish comedy show from the 90s......., Guy dressed up as Archie McPherson in the commentary box......,

Rangers game (before they went bust and ceased to exist):
"Gasgoigne, to Stevens, lovely ball through to McCoist, McCoist cuts it back to AMORUSO....., AMORUSO TAKES THE SHOT......, and its out for a throw in." :lol:
That made me look at Geoff Thomas’ famous miss for England. I swore it nearly hit the corner flag, but was only 15 yards wide. The years play tricks with your memories…. Especially when there’s a good pub story at the end of it.

Let’s hope Freddie’s on allotment-troubling form tonight with his free-kicks.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:25 pm

Chaplin has signed.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:28 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:25 pm
Chaplin has signed.
Great news 👏👏👏

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:31 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:25 pm
Chaplin has signed.
Like the look of this signing, along with many others we have made. Surely a reworked version of his namesakes song "Smile" could be introduced to the stands?

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:09 pm

Let's hope everyone gels quickly and we start on fire.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:16 pm

Building a winning team from scratch who says it cannot be done...watch this space.
COYB onwards and up to the championship.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:23 pm

And it seems more to come.

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:54 am

Had a brief look at the selling teams fans reactions for both these players.

Barnsley fans seemed to wish him well, some said good player some said didn't have enough end product/goals, so a bit of a mix there.

Rangers fans generally said the CB was promising/solid, quick, good on the ball etc but just never got a chance as they have very good options ahead of him, general feeling was he is a good player.

We certainly shouldn't expect miracles, it could take a while for us to get going (last nights showing confirmed this), so I think we need to be very patient for the first 10 games and just look to be in the top 10 by then and then hopefully we can kick on, it will take time for these players to gel - especially as many haven't really played together properly yet. The Millwall game is big now, we need to ideally see the starting 11 for Morcombe.

Any news on Evans injury? He might be a key part of this puzzle, someone with experience and leadership as alot of these players are a bit young (which is still great in many ways of course).

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:52 am

To be honest I don't think last night really told us much at all, Three of the starting Eleven can probably be deemed as starters, others came on late in the game, I think the likes of Holy, Woolfy, Ndaba, Humphreys, Donacien, etc will be nowhere near the starting Eleven, although I thought Donacien looked good last night.

We have KVY, Burns, Evans, Edmundson, Chaplin, Hladky, Toto, Norwood all likely starters to add to what we saw last night. As you say the line up for Millwall needs to resemble what starts against Morecambe and for me that is something like.. ...

Hladky

KVY
Toto
Edmundson
Penney

Burns
Harper
Evans

Chaplin
Norwood
Pigott

Subs
Dobra
Donacien
Bonne
Woolfy
Fraser
Holy
Kenlock

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:13 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:52 am
To be honest I don't think last night really told us much at all, Three of the starting Eleven can probably be deemed as starters, others came on late in the game, I think the likes of Holy, Woolfy, Ndaba, Humphreys, Donacien, etc will be nowhere near the starting Eleven, although I thought Donacien looked good last night.

We have KVY, Burns, Evans, Edmundson, Chaplin, Hladky, Toto, Norwood all likely starters to add to what we saw last night. As you say the line up for Millwall needs to resemble what starts againstc Morecambe and for me that is something like.. ...

Hladky

KVY
Toto
Edmundson
Penney

Burns
Harper
Evans

Chaplin
Norwood
Pigott

Subs
Dobra
Donacien
Bonne
Woolfy
Fraser
Holy
Kenlock
Pretty much agree with that.

Still think we need an experienced CB. Don’t want Toto be our most senior CB. If we get one, maybe one of Woolf or Toto will move on.

And it looks like Coulsen is lined up as LB. I don’t think we’ll go with Penney as first choice LB.

It’s been a hell of a transfer window and you feel there’s more to do with 2-3 incoming and 4-5 to leave.

Can’t say I was impressed last night, but it was a scratch team and only a friendly. Got the impression it meant a lot more to Colchester and no need to risk injuries to important players.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:19 pm

Yes I put Penney in as he's in the house, I expect Coulsen to be there if and when he signs. I do think Cookie boy likes Toto and expect him to start alongside Edmundson until such time an experienced CB arrives.

I wasn't overly impressed defensively last night either but with Holy, Donacien, Woolfenden, Ndaba and Penney in there its hardly surprising, zero starters in my eyes, as I say we learnt nothing really other than Pigott looks very good, Harper is very solid and Dobra could be a real asset , and of course we learnt our first choice defence needs to start Saturday.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:45 pm

I agree, we still need another quality CB and if Holy does not improve smartish another GK!

Just time then to form a cohesive unit.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:12 pm

I reckon Coulson will sign b4 start of season

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:41 pm

:roll: Still hoping for Bersant Celina to come back here, he was a very good midfield player with goals in him, also will Jacobs make a move here from Pompey??

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:52 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:41 pm
…..also will Jacobs make a move here from Pompey??
Na, think that deal is cream crackered, Ash.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:58 pm

Hope so, fed up of sicknotes and Jacobs is deffo one.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:37 am

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:13 am
Bluemike wrote:

We have KVY, Burns, Evans, Edmundson, Chaplin, Hladky, Toto, Norwood all likely starters to add to what we saw last night. As you say the line up for Millwall needs to resemble what starts againstc Morecambe and for me that is something like.. ...

Hladky

KVY
Toto
Edmundson
Penney

Burns
Harper
Evans

Chaplin
Norwood
Pigott

Subs
Dobra
Donacien
Bonne
Woolfy
Fraser
Holy
Kenlock

Still think we need an experienced CB. Don’t want Toto be our most senior CB. If we get one, maybe one of Woolf or Toto will move on.

And it looks like Coulsen is lined up as LB. I don’t think we’ll go with Penney as first choice LB.

It’s been a hell of a transfer window and you feel there’s more to do with 2-3 incoming and 4-5 to leave.

Can’t say I was impressed last night, but it was a scratch team and only a friendly. Got the impression it meant a lot more to Colchester and no need to risk injuries to important players.
Personally i would swap Woolfy for Toto unless we sign a new CB before the 7-8-21. Bonne for Norwood purely because he wastes to many chances.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:17 am

Tinytown wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:37 am
tangfastic wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:13 am
Bluemike wrote:

Hladky

KVY
Toto
Edmundson
Penney

Burns
Harper
Evans

Chaplin
Norwood
Pigott

Subs
Dobra
Donacien
Bonne
Woolfy
Fraser
Holy
Kenlock

Personally i would swap Woolfy for Toto unless we sign a new CB before the 7-8-21. Bonne for Norwood purely because he wastes to many chances.
Up front we’ve got options. And good ones. To start of with, I think he might play Norwood up front with Pigott just behind him as a number 10. And I think Toto’s just got the nod over Woolf for now. But that could change game by game as now we’ve got real competition for places. I think Norwood might have the bit between his teeth this year as he’s got to compete for his place. Pigott’s the number one striker for me, but I think he’s versatile enough to play deeper and allow either Norwood or Bonne to play up front, too.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:52 am

I’d have Norwood in any game with Pigott, as first choice . Perfect combination of power, aggressive running ( and ability to score ), from Norwood with Pigotts Ability to pull others into the game with his lay offs, very good feet for a big man, he has an incredible football brain and instinctively knows where the goal is . 40 goals a season between them IMO.

The beauty is we now have goals and pace all over the pitch . Last seasons supposedly “ best” players wouldn’t even make this first 11 now.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:17 am

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:52 am
40 goals a season between them IMO.
:shock: Wow, I hope you are right there, Hallam. That’d be awesome.
If Pigott brings out the best of Norwood, then that’d be superb for the fans next season. Tranmere style youtube highlights reel @ Portman Road. Worth the Season Ticket right there.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:39 am

Where’s the other 60 goals going to come from, though? 100 points, 100 goals target!

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:56 am

Mr. Ashton has certainly done his job and we are looking really strong on paper. Now it's Mr. Cook's turn along with his team.

Really can't wait and very happy that the opener is against Morecambe.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:05 am

It may only be Morecambe but we have to be Wise.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:08 am

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:05 am
It may only be Morecambe but we have to be Wise.
Chaplin and Lee Evans could have the last laugh

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:42 am

ashfordblue wrote:
:roll: Still hoping for Bersant Celina to come back here, he was a very good midfield player with goals in him, also will Jacobs make a move here from Pompey??
Ash, I’m probably in the minority, but I don’t want Celina to come here. Think he could be a frustrating, expensive flop who can’t handle the physicality of L1. I’d rather we spend the cash on an experienced CB - maybe a captain-type.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:34 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:42 am
ashfordblue wrote:
Ash, I’m probably in the minority, but I don’t want Celina to come here. Think he could be a frustrating, expensive flop who can’t handle the physicality of L1. I’d rather we spend the cash on an experienced CB - maybe a captain-type.
Tang
I said exactly the same thing on here regarding Celina when it was first mentioned about him returning, so that makes 2 of us. :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:35 pm

I'm with you Tang, I don't want him either and for what it's worth I don't believe its ever even been a possibility tbh.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:53 pm

What are people's views on Jon Nolan's situation?
It was reported on 4th March he had picked up a MCL injury due to keep him out for 2 months, but now it is reported he has a calf strain.

It has been made clear that PC appears to rate him and he isn't a bad age for a midfielder. But is he, when fully fit, good enough to fit in with some of the new signings we have made. Obviously we are light on cover in midfield (how times change!), so there is a potential part for him to play. Certainly he came with a good reputation in League One, but whether it was because he was part of such a lazy, lacklustre team, he has never really overly impressed me on the few occasions i have seen him! Certainly would rather have put other midfielders ahead of him at the point where Paul Cook came in.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:05 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:53 pm
What are people's views on Jon Nolan's situation?
It was reported on 4th March he had picked up a MCL injury due to keep him out for 2 months, but now it is reported he has a calf strain.

It has been made clear that PC appears to rate him and he isn't a bad age for a midfielder. But is he, when fully fit, good enough to fit in with some of the new signings we have made. Obviously we are light on cover in midfield (how times change!), so there is a potential part for him to play. Certainly he came with a good reputation in League One, but whether it was because he was part of such a lazy, lacklustre team, he has never really overly impressed me on the few occasions i have seen him! Certainly would rather have put other midfielders ahead of him at the point where Paul Cook came in.
He’d have to be the Jon Nolan from Shrewsbury and not the latter version. It’s up to Cook to get more out of him. Not sure if Lambert instructed him to play slow, sideways, non-energetic football, but Nolan managed it. If he can add energy and be a box to box player then he could be ok. He’s actually a pretty decent finisher.
See him as back up.