Cook

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Shed on tour

Cook

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:16 pm

Gone.

Shed on tour

Re: Cook

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:17 pm

More news on Monday apparently.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:18 pm

Got your wish MikešŸ‘šŸ˜€

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:22 pm

Oh dear ! :shock:

I do feel sorry for him , because heā€™s essentially an honest gu6 and has been trying very hard to get this right.

Hope itā€™s not a case of BCWYWF now

Mcgreal in as temp manager ?
Last edited by hallamblue on Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:23 pm

Thank f*ck, useless tool, can't believe anyone actually thought he'd be any good

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:24 pm

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:28 pm

Just be prepared for another complete back room upheaval and all that entails ā€¦..

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:31 pm

I'm surprised but today's performance was the last straw and the right decision but it does worry me as to who we will get in to replace him, I'm not sure McGreal would be experienced enough and surely we can't have another clear out we have some good players on paper but need the right manager to use them in there best positions.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:34 pm

These owners mean business and won't tolerate this abject sh*te anymore, he gets it wrong week after week, the second half today showed just how much better 2 bloody strikers are, never attempted to change it up, it was ridiculous. He had total support and backing and still took us nowhere, fantastic decision for the road ahead. I just hope we go ambitious with the replacement, no John Mcgreals thank you, caretaker role maybe but not permanent. So happy tonight!!!

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:39 pm

Bluemike wrote: ā†‘
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:34 pm
These owners mean business and won't tolerate this abject sh*te anymore, he gets it wrong week after week, the second half today showed just how much better 2 bloody strikers are, never attempted to change it up, it was ridiculous. He had total support and backing and still took us nowhere, fantastic decision for the road ahead. I just hope we go ambitious with the replacement, no John Mcgreals thank you, caretaker role maybe but not permanent. So happy tonight!!!
Totally agree. I would be surprised and disappointed if McGreal got the post permanently but can see him being used in a caretaker role.
New manager to be announced for the Sunderland game?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:44 pm

I doubt that Shed , Ashton says theyā€™ve not got anyone else in place or mind yet. Suspect this is why McGreal has been brought in as a temporary measure though I thinkā€¦.which suggests a board decision had been taken s9me days , weeks ago?

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:47 pm

I just hope whoever the new manager is his names not Paul.šŸ˜‚

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:56 pm

hallamblue wrote: ā†‘
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:44 pm
I doubt that Shed , Ashton says theyā€™ve not got anyone else in place or mind yet. Suspect this is why McGreal has been brought in as a temporary measure though I thinkā€¦.which suggests a board decision had been taken s9me days , weeks ago?
I know he has said that but Iā€™m not so sure if that is true. I said a few weeks back that I would be surprised if they werenā€™t already drawing up a list of potential candidates. Obviously if they have got somebody in mind they would be keeping their cards close to their chest especially if it is somebody already employed with a club.
Time will tell.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:59 pm

I wonder if Frank Lampard will be back?

I also wonder how this leaves this squad of players, because they apparently all ā€œsigned for Cookā€ā€¦.(even if they appear not to have really played for him)?

JamessB

Post by JamessB » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:03 pm

With the efficient way business was conducted in the close season Iā€™d be very surprised if they donā€™t already have a shortlist, particularly as the performances have been poor for quite some time

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:11 pm

Hopefully Ashton and co won't let us down, they didn't with the signings and Hopefully won't with the manager, they never appointed Cook and it all probability wouldn't have looked at him twice had Evans not already appointed him. This time we'll get a new regime appointment who knows what he's doing

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:33 pm

Well I am surprised and am happy to have been wrong. It needed to happen. Only question now is ... what next on this adventure? Who knows what the future brings but at least ita not boring!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:59 pm

Maybe Ashton read my last post in the ā€˜Replace Cookā€™ thread! Haha! Seriously though, yes Iā€™ve opined about the disadvantages of a ā€˜carouselā€™ of managers etcā€¦but recent results & performances were enough to push me into the Cook Out regime. Iā€™m glad the board has decided to take action now rather than later. Letā€™s all hope we finally get a manager who can bring success back to ITFC after too many years of decline. Well done BM, Shed & Rossi for losing patience and sticking in the knife. I am a MM outer, so I completely understand the enough is enough stance. COYB!!!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:13 pm

Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:11 pm
This time we'll get a new regime appointment who knows what he's doing

I hope youā€™re right ā€¦. But it doesnā€™t often work out that way in the managerial merry-go-round does it .

The players are gutted btw ā€¦. Thought they might be. Remains to be seen how many of them stay under the new regime ā€¦.. all more upheaval and settling in time required unfortunately.

Edit: Iā€™d be very surprised if the next manager gets us promoted ( but you never can say never ), but the new manager will effectively be given at least a season and a half. Cooks had 36 games (if you include the games that the shower of shyte he inherited who decided to down tools) .

I see chambers had taken to social media to stick the knife in too . Disappointed in him for that .

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:50 pm

Kerry Blue wrote: ā†‘
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:31 pm
I'm surprised but today's performance was the last straw and the right decision but it does worry me as to who we will get in to replace him, I'm not sure McGreal would be experienced enough and surely we can't have another clear out we have some good players on paper but need the right manager to use them in there best positions.
Exactly this!

Only time will tell if this is the right decision and itā€™ll come down to who comes in, do we go for someone at the start of their career like Lampard which is a risk but had possibly high rewards (ie look how well Gerrard is doing) or do we go with a tried and test manager from the merry go round, which may be stable but not anything outstanding for the longer term.

Iā€™d take Steve Bruce as mentioned above. Maybe Houghton too.

However we NEED better coaches I think, too many errors and cannot handle set plays etc.

I suspect the next manager will go 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 etc, Piggot and Bonne as a pair could be interesting to see and I donā€™t think we have the full backs for a 4-23-1 like we have tried.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:00 pm

I think a big issue in a new appointment will be Ashton. It's clear to me that he has a very big ego,but also so do a lot of football managers. It will be vital that any new manager will be able to work with, but not for Ashton & I can see that as a potential stumbling block.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:12 pm

Realize he was only with us what, less than 2 years, eighteen months, but ideally should have been forced out before today. His style of play was absolute banality and frustrated the sh*t out of this name and guess a great many others with it. Applaud the new owners for taking action and not to allow things to deteriorate further but not since Joe Royle has there been what I class a capable manager here and for that you got to go back some 15 years with it.

Thought about Mowbray at Blackburn on occasion in recent time as Cook neared his eventual demise. Ex-player, has done OK for them and got years of experience. I think the fans would welcome him back or a number at least. You got to face the reality of it though, we're a Third League club name that has underachieved for considerable years and now getting into the habit of firing managers almost as soon as they come in. Either that or they walk away / resign of their own doing.

Point being I don't know how glamorous the job position here will be to many candidates. Could be put off by the continuous failures year after year, season after season going way back to Jim Magilton and once again our tendency now to fire names much readily than before if results don't work.

Feel it's imperative we go with a name with relevant experience. Nothing fancy, wouldn't expect it, just avoid absurd picks like Lampard, Rooney or other names that simply aren't or could never hope to be bonafide manager material.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:13 pm

You feel Ashton gets too involved BB??

Right decision I think sadly, I perhaps would have given him longer if it were my club and worryingly I really struggle to think of a manager available that I would like here, especially considering it is a poisoned chalice after all and mid table league 1 side...

Things had clearly taken a dive recently and Cook looked all out of ideas.

Groundhog day again, here we go.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:09 am

BlueBalls wrote: ā†‘
Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:35 pm
Steve Bruce.
No thanks, not another ex budgie.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:10 am

Peter Reid and John Mcgreal might step in short term and I mean short term :?

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:21 am

Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:34 pm
These owners mean business and won't tolerate this abject sh*te anymore, he gets it wrong week after week, the second half today showed just how much better 2 bloody strikers are, never attempted to change it up, it was ridiculous. He had total support and backing and still took us nowhere, the fantastic decision for the road ahead. I just hope we go ambitious with the replacement, no John Mcgreals thank you, the caretaker role may be but not permanent. So happy tonight!!!
BM Who do you think made the tactical change for the 2nd half today ???????????????? J McGreal, :D and I've stated for ages these new owners will not put up with one dimension bullshit and all gob, and why did the CEO appoint John McGreal its good to be in the know that John has been hanging around waiting for this to happen. perform or your out simple as that.
Last edited by ashfordblue on Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:23 am

Ian Craney, Franny Jeffers and Gary Roberts need to go as well. They were PC's choices.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:25 am

mendipblue wrote: ā†‘
Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:10 am
Peter Reid and John McGreal might step in short term and I mean short term:?
:roll: Really I wouldn't mind betting it will be a lot longer than temporary just watch what happens, the CEO and owners are chasing a certain N W who's available for a management return :D

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:26 am

mendipblue wrote: ā†‘
Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:23 am
Ian Craney, Franny Jeffers and Gary Roberts need to go as well. They were PC's choices.
They will be gone by Sunday morning FACT

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:26 am

hallamblue wrote: ā†‘
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:59 pm
I wonder if Frank Lampard will be back?

I also wonder how this leaves this squad of players, because they apparently all ā€œsigned for Cookā€ā€¦.(even if they appear not to have really played for him)?
Would Lampard really be a good choice ?
Keane, Jewell, Lambert have all achieved way more than Lampard ?
Be interesting to see who they pick this time and how long they get ?