FA Cup (R2) - Ipswich Town vs Barrow AFC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Still in this Competition in 2022?

Ipswich Win
50%
Barrow Win
38%
Draw
13%

Total votes: 16

Kerry Blue

Re: FA Cup (R2) - Ipswich Town vs Barrow AFC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:02 pm

I see Celina and Edmundson are both injured not that it should have made a difference to Town being able to beat a team from a lower division which had lost there last three matches.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:25 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:02 pm
Embarrassing once again. What's worse the rest of the country will get to watch us in the replay on TV as we are the only game to draw today. Might be draws tomorrow but we will be on TV . :oops:
Looks like Tuesday 14th for the replay.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:51 pm

Wow! They, (the Board) didn't hang about did they.

I do have some sympathy for Cook because I geuinely feel he was well-intentioned, but clearly in the last few weeks especially he has failed to produce any decent results against inferior opposition. We are led to believe he hand-picked his squad, so in that respect I think the fans were right & entitled to expect more than we got.

A great shame, so here we go again on the rollercoaster which is ITFC. Who, I wonder will want to put their head into the noose.

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:10 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:59 am
What comments do you find distasteful ? I am pretty certain I have not insulted the guy for sure, just pointing out in my opinion he is a crap manager, which he is.
Not that it matters now, but I found quite a few comments distasteful.

For example:

'Don't know about clown - think another word beginning with C is more appropriate: only 4 letters, though ends with T, and preceded by useless' not remotely funny or clever, just nasty, personalised and mean spirited.

'Perfect example of Scouse tongue...instead of the B.S it actually is.' Cited with approval by: 'he has surrounded himself with more scousers...just so they all talk the same B.S.' Some here don't seem to see anything wrong with villifying people from Liverpool and its environs. I am not one of them. I find such comments distasteful.

Similarly, it is one thing to say the man is a bad manager but to refer to him as a tw@t is unnecessary and puerile.

Less objectionable, but nonetheless inappropriate, are epithets such as 'useless tool', 'clown' and so on.

It really doesn't matter if my objections are seen as my being overly sensitive. These are my opinions and they seem to be out of step with the general tenor of the forum.
Consequently, I am done here. I hope whoever is appointed to replace Cook brings us the success we crave.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:28 pm

JOHN DEERE wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:10 pm
Bluemike wrote:
What comments do you find distasteful ? I am pretty certain I have not insulted the guy for sure, just pointing out in my opinion he is a crap manager, which he is.

For example:

'Don't know about clown - think another word beginning with C is more appropriate: only 4 letters, though ends with T, and preceded by useless' not remotely funny or clever, just nasty, personalised and mean spirited.

'Perfect example of Scouse tongue...instead of the B.S it actually is.' Cited with approval by: 'he has surrounded himself with more scousers...just so they all talk the same B.S.' Some here don't seem to see anything wrong with villifying people from Liverpool and its environs. I am not one of them. I find such comments distasteful.

Similarly, it is one thing to say the man is a bad manager but to refer to him as a tw@t is unnecessary and puerile.

Less objectionable, but nonetheless inappropriate, are epithets such as 'useless tool', 'clown' and so on.

It really doesn't matter if my objections are seen as my being overly sensitive. These are my opinions and they seem to be out of step with the general tenor of the forum.
Consequently, I am done here. I hope whoever is appointed to replace Cook brings us the success we crave.
You are so spot on with this post.
So now we know what type of board Ipswich have.
High stakes but i guess that is football business today.
Be interesting to see who takes over now

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:53 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:28 pm
JOHN DEERE wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

For example:

You are so spot on with this post.
So now we know what type of board Ipswich have.
High stakes but i guess that is football business today.
Be interesting to see who takes over now
You are spot-on with some of what you say, JD. Some of the language on here is shocking & totally unnecessary. I have complained in the past & for a time things appeared to improve. It didn't last long.

I sincerely hope you continue to post. Your contributions are always worth reading.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:58 pm

The bottom line being a no-score draw at home to today's opposition is just unsatisfactory. Guess we'll have a replay and both teams got a second chance but it shouldn't have even come to that. We should have won inside 90 minutes, you weigh up the facts such as home advantage, league difference, arguably better / more capable set of players than Barrow got.

The Cook firing issue was a shock, but isn't this tie a job half-done ? Relief he's gone, total unambiguous in it, only hope it doesn't effect the players to any great extent with the replay to come.

Also, only six and a half thousand in attendance today ? What the hell seriously. Guess Cook took time to view the empty stands during game time and came to a conclusion he's not the most wanted figure in or around Ipswich Town Football Club. Lo and behold, he's no longer with us.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:08 pm

JOHN DEERE wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

For example:

I have no issue with scouses at all and have not said anything detrimental in that regard.
Guilty as charged with the Clown and tool comments but if something so tame upsets you then forums are not the place for you, this particular one is as mild as they come, so thanks for your input, shame your off but good luck.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:38 pm

Remember everyone's emotions are running very high these days JD, about as high as they an get. Also take things with a pinhh of salt, many wouldn't say things they say on here in public, it's worth considering.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:03 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:08 pm
JOHN DEERE wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

For example:

I have no issue with scouses at all and have not said anything detrimental in that regard.
Guilty as charged with the Clown and tool comments but if something so tame upsets you then forums are not the place for you, this particular one is as mild as they come, so thanks for your input, shame your off but good luck.
Its not tame its a complete lack of respect for the man and his achievements elsewhere. You may not think he's done a good job at Ipswich but he's not a clown and a tool. Read Morsy's about Paul Cook and his opinion of him.
The comments dished out to Lambert were even worse by many on here and elsewhere.
What MM was subjected to was a complete and utter disgrace also. Complete disrespect for a man who who has achieved so much in the game and by all accounts a first class individual.
Its a continuous thing that is happening these day and is just passed over as tame. Its not.
Your entitled to say you want a change of manager but to start adding a whole load of abuse around it is wrong full stop.

Anyway Ipswich have now entered the hire and fire approach to managers. Lets see where that leads.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:55 am

JOHN DEERE wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

For example:

Trouble is JD most on here are not angels but true working-class lads and lasses who speak what they feel, and please when you consider what we have had to put up with over a Bloody long time of idiotic moron managers, to have another gobby know all but knows nothing manager I feel we all have the right to speak what we feel don't you until we get the right manager's vacant position correct, also I know the next manager's name will not be Paul trust me ok :D

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:00 am

valleyroad wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:03 am
Bluemike wrote:
JOHN DEERE wrote:

For example:

Its not tame its a complete lack of respect for the man and his achievements elsewhere. You may not think he's done a good job at Ipswich but he's not a clown and a tool. Read Morsy's about Paul Cook and his opinion of him.
The comments dished out to Lambert were even worse by many on here and elsewhere.
What MM was subjected to was a complete and utter disgrace also. Complete disrespect for a man who who has achieved so much in the game and by all accounts a first class individual.
Its a continuous thing that is happening these day and is just passed over as tame. Its not.
Your entitled to say you want a change of manager but to start adding a whole load of abuse around it is wrong full stop.

Anyway Ipswich have now entered the hire and fire approach to managers. Lets see where that leads.

Hopefully, VR the same route as Chelsea, West Ham, Man City, Man U, Etc and we get up the league to the premiership :lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:05 am

Come on guys, let’s put things in perspective. We draw 0-0 to Barrow! We struggle against Crewe. We lose to Arse u21s. If you wanna call the manager a useless c*ck, you’re completely justified. I’m sorry JD but with all the f*cked up sh*t that’s going on in the world right now…the fact words have bothered you that much makes me sad.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:34 am

JOHN DEERE wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

For example:

Stick around mate. I appreciate it is tough at times, there have been times i have wanted to walk away too.
Football is a business and all about £££ these days and while results haven't been up to much under PC, i am very saddened that, in imo, a manager is not given enough time these days. We will never know how this season and beyond would have played out.

I know i am in a minority here (and yes i understand people's frustrations, especially those who spend fortunes following ITFC), but i still feel there must be something about this team - you don't get results like away (i am sure PR is cursed) at Portsmouth and Wycombe if not.
There is understandable frustration after several poor results and maybe we were always on a hiding to nothing against Barrow. Decent teams like Portsmouth and Lincoln were knocked out at home to lower league sides this round and i recall Wigan struggled at home to a non league side as well as Sunderland going out in the previous round, so there is no divine right in the cup. I know none of those teams is Ipswich but just making a point.
Have i been happy with the results lately? Of course not
Do i understand why the board have taken this decision? In the modern day game, i totally understand.
Do i agree that PC should have been sacked at this point? Never in a million years!

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:45 am

I’m surprised at the speed of the decision but this is a new regime and I guess this shows they mean business in getting us promoted this year - which is what we all want.

I want to thank Paul Cook for bringing exciting football back to an Ipswich team. He’s obviously a decent bloke who desperately wanted us to do well. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, he didn’t manage to instil enough resilience and flexibility into what looks like a talented group of players who should thrive at this level.

We will know in February or March if sacking him was the right decision. If someone comes in and we start winning those frustrating games we have been drawing or losing and are sitting in the playoffs - then who can argue?

In my opinion, the last thing we need is a rebuild. We don’t have time for it. Whoever comes in needs to get results now from the current squad, perhaps with a few additions in January. If he does, then this roll of the dice will look wise; if not, we might all wonder what Paul Cook might have achieved if given more time.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:16 am

valleyroad wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
JOHN DEERE wrote:

For example:

I couldn't give a toss about his achievements elsewhere if I'm honest, im sick to death of know it alls breezing into town and promising much while delivering nothing. As for Lambert and MM being disrespected, they actually started it by using comments against the fans and fwiw I was behind MM more than most.

Its easy for bloody armchair fans to sit in the comfort of their homes week after week and have big opinions on the clubs situation, you try enduring it on the terraces week after week for season after season at no small cost, you'd feel differently, AshfordBlue has summed it up perfectly, im bloody glad the clown had gone.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:58 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:16 am
valleyroad wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

I couldn't give a toss about his achievements elsewhere if I'm honest, im sick to death of know it alls breezing into town and promising much while delivering nothing. As for Lambert and MM being disrespected, they actually started it by using comments against the fans and fwiw I was behind MM more than most.

Its easy for bloody armchair fans to sit in the comfort of their homes week after week and have big opinions on the clubs situation, you try enduring it on the terraces week after week for season after season at no small cost, you'd feel differently, AshfordBlue has summed it up perfectly, im bloody glad the clown had gone.
Well never been called an armchair football fan before. I'm usually subjected to never ending grief at the amount of football i attend :)
I actually don't think its acceptable the abuse that football folks take and i don't buy into the "i've paid my money, i can say what i like" either. I'm working class born and raised and kinda in a sense find it insulting that that is how its assumed working class folks behave, so i don't think ashfordblue has summed it up perfectly. I guess that is where standards are today ?
PC has not worked out in his short time but the man is not an idiot, clown, gobby scouse .....

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:40 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:58 pm
Bluemike wrote:
valleyroad wrote:

Well never been called an armchair football fan before. I'm usually subjected to never ending grief at the amount of football i attend :)
I actually don't think its acceptable the abuse that football folks take and i don't buy into the "i've paid my money, i can say what i like" either. I'm working class born and raised and kinda in a sense find it insulting that that is how its assumed working class folks behave, so i don't think ashfordblue has summed it up perfectly. I guess that is where standards are today ?
PC has not worked out in his short time but the man is not an idiot, clown, gobby scouse .....
That's just your opinion though, VR. You need to accept that others have different opinions, and those opinions are equally as valid as your own

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:49 pm

rossi wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:40 pm
valleyroad wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

That's just your opinion though, VR. You need to accept that others have different opinions, and those opinions are equally as valid as your own
I'm fine with others opinions but i like to make a stand against this type of stuff.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:28 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:49 pm
rossi wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:40 pm
valleyroad wrote:

I'm fine with others opinions but i like to make a stand against this type of stuff.
That surely must win the prize for the statement in which the second part totally contradicts the first :lol: :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:17 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:26 pm
I stuck with MM until the bitter end, it became impossible for him to stay, but he knew how to manage players and despite it being boring and negative he could at least change it up depending on the opposition.

To be honest I'm fed up of being patient, for Four years I did every game home and away, cold, dank, depressing shitholes on a Tuesday night with a 6 hour journey home after another p*ss poor show, went through the dying embers of Micks time here then suffered the Hurst and Lambert fuckfests and all the time I clung on to hope and belief despite knowing it was futile so forgive me if I lack patience this time around but I've kinda had enough, factor in Cooks undoubted support and financial backing and I just think its a disaster, still a mid table League One side as we approach half way, his win record here is shocking. I would never boo or any of that crap and I applaud him on to the pitch every game, it's what you do but I will be pleased when he is replaced, who by, God knows but that's for the owner and CEO etc to decide.
Think if I was you I'd probably be feeling the same :)
That was your reply to me recently VR so either you get where I am coming from or you don't ?

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:52 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:17 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:26 pm
I stuck with MM until the bitter end, it became impossible for him to stay, but he knew how to manage players and despite it being boring and negative he could at least change it up depending on the opposition.

To be honest I'm fed up of being patient, for Four years I did every game home and away, cold, dank, depressing shitholes on a Tuesday night with a 6 hour journey home after another p*ss poor show, went through the dying embers of Micks time here then suffered the Hurst and Lambert fuckfests and all the time I clung on to hope and belief despite knowing it was futile so forgive me if I lack patience this time around but I've kinda had enough, factor in Cooks undoubted support and financial backing and I just think its a disaster, still a mid table League One side as we approach half way, his win record here is shocking. I would never boo or any of that crap and I applaud him on to the pitch every game, it's what you do but I will be pleased when he is replaced, who by, God knows but that's for the owner and CEO etc to decide.
Think if I was you I'd probably be feeling the same :)
That was your reply to me recently VR so either you get where I am coming from or you don't ?
😁 hey, i get where you are and i get your frustrations with the whole thing. I actually admire you passion and commitment to your club and the support you give it. Its just better IMO to not throw abuse and let things take their course.

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:33 pm

The replay (as it is the only one!) will be on TV.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:57 pm

As an outsider and a neutral i do believe this assassination of a fellow fans opinions is out of order, and detrimental to the site, forums need the likes of valleyroad's well thought out posts, agree with them or not its his opinions and every right to post them and others to disagree but without the personal insults.

Nothing Personal to anyone, 8)

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:40 pm

Well if we get through the replay it’s the hugely underwhelming trip to Barnsley!

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:53 pm

Bluemike wrote:
JOHN DEERE wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

For example:

Here's the thing Mike. In your reply you ignored the primary references to what I instanced as examples of distasteful comments. You distanced yourself, personally, from the 'Scouse' comments. You then proceeded to suggest that forums are not for me by pointing to the couple of examples which I had actually identified as 'less objectionable'.

You are a moderator of this forum. It is not good enough to simply say 'I have no issue with scouses'. You should have an issue with those who post the type of vitriol referred to.

It is not good enough to ignore the examples I gave of the use of the c**t word and of tw@t. People posting this type of personalised abuse should be taken to task. If you are not prepared to deal with inappropriate posts then step away from the role of moderator. This really will be my last post!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:16 pm

If and when the owner of the forum has an issue with it then so will I, until then your opinion matters not to me. This place won't survive with people like you who breeze in once a fortnight with one post and then bugger off again, the regulars you attack with your views have been here years, I take their opinions far more seriously than yours.

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:37 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:16 pm
If and when the owner of the forum has an issue with it then so will I, until then your opinion matters not to me. This place won't survive with people like you who breeze in once a fortnight with one post and then bugger off again, the regulars you attack with your views have been here years, I take their opinions far more seriously than yours.
Well now, that is a most illuminating response. Thank you for the clarity of your disdain for both differing opinions and new members.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:45 pm

Remind me, which one is your last post? Been so many

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:01 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:45 pm
Remind me, which one is your last post? Been so many
I did feel that the content of your previous post merited a response, even though I had determined that my contributions to the forum had ended.

I do not 'breeze in once a fortnight with one post, then bugger off again'. That is just objectively wrong. I mostly commented on matchday threads and 128 posts, or thereabouts, since the tail end of last season is a reasonably healthy contribution rate.

I did not attack any regulars. I instanced examples of demonstrably inappropriate posts. I did not name any of the offending posters. I neither know, nor am interested in, how long any of the posters have been members.

The only reasonable inference that can be drawn from your response is that the views expressed by a long standing member, however inappropriate or egregious those views may be, are taken more seriously by you than those of a newer member who expresses reservations about the nature of said posts. I hope that is not true, but your words are there in black and white.

My suggestion you should step away from your role as moderator clearly upset you. I suspect that your last two posts were occasioned by a fight or flight reaction to the perception of being attacked. That is fair enough. I'd like to think that, on reflection, you will agree your response might have been more measured.

I would also like to think that the 'remind me, which is your last post? Been so many' comment is one that you know is beneath you.