I can see Pigott asking to leave.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

I can see Pigott asking to leave.

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:58 am

Town striker Joe Pigott admits he needs a run of games to make an impression at the club but he knows it’s easier said than done.

Striker Pigott had a rare opportunity on Wednesday night in the Blues’ Papa John’s Trophy home tie with Arsenal U21s but was overshadowed by two-goal Kayden Jackson, another player who has been largely overlooked this term but seized his chance to stake a claim for a place in Saturday’s side to face League Two strugglers Barrow in an FA Cup second round clash.

Pigott also saw his spot-kick saved in the penalty shootout required to settle the outcome after a 2-2 draw and the young Gunners ran out 4-3 winners to book a place in the last 16 of the competition that concludes at Wembley.

Having also failed from the spot in the shootout against Colchester in the final group game, things are not working out for Pigott as he probably imagined they would when he was one of manager Paul Cook’s 19 summer signings, arriving at Portman Road after rejecting a new deal to extend his stay with AFC Wimbledon.

Pigott, 28, said: “It was massively disappointing to go out, especially after we had a 2-0 lead at half-time. It’s pretty unforgivable really and to go out on penalties is a real shame. Unfortunately we’re not going to have the extra opportunities to play in the Trophy so we’re just looking forward to Saturday now.”

Asked about his bit-part role in the side this season, which has seen him score three goals, Pigott added: “It has been massively frustrating. I want to say I absolutely hate it and I’m just looking to get as many minutes as I can when I can.

“Basically, I need a run of games, but I’m not the only one. It’s something every player wants and needs. There are players in the squad who are creating chances and to be a part of that would be great.”

Town boss Paul Cook said recently that he owed Pigott an apology for his lack of game time – eight starts and seven substitute appearances in all competitions – since his summer move after finishing last term as the Dons’ leading scorer with 22 goals in a total of 52 outings, including 20 in his 45 league starts.

Pigott said: “Yes, but you still want to get out there and I just hope I’ll get some more time on Saturday. As a player you want to build rhythm and everything starts to come naturally once you get that. It has been tough but hopefully it will come.”

His path to the first team, and that of Jackson, has been blocked by the success of QPR loanee Macauley Bonne, who has 11 league goals to his credit in the current campaign. That puts him well clear at the top of the scoring charts, although he has failed to find the net in his last five appearances.

“Macauley’s been excellent for us and without him we would be in a bit of a pickle,” added Maidstone-born Pigott, for whom Ipswich are the tenth club he has represented since starting out in the game at Charlton, where he signed his first professional contract in January 2012
Only to be expected really, he hasn't had a sniff and yet is prolific.

Dubai Blue

Re: I can see Pigott asking to leave.

Post by Dubai Blue » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:04 am

I think he'll get his chance soon. Bonne is on a 5 game streak with no goals and judging by the last game is managing to miss plenty of clear cut chances. Can be that Cook will give him a game very soon. After that it's up to him to make a statement.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:06 am

Feel really sorry for the guy. Just as a matter of interest, was he a "one up front" striker at Wimbledon?

Sadly with our shape and the goalscoring coattails Bonne is still clinging to, it will always make it hard for any other striker to get game time, unless fighting for the congested No10 spot too!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:19 pm

I’d like to see him start on Saturday but only if he has our best players around him. I wouldn’t want him starting with a second string midfield and not get any supply because that would do nothing for his confidence, he needs to be given a fair chance to show what he can do because come January he could well be our No 1 striker.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:27 pm

Lads have to be given chances. If you look at our squad in general, we just spoke about Joe Pigott wanting games. I can shut my eyes and Joe was picked at Oldham, Colchester and on Wednesday.

“So Joe has had three games in two or three weeks. He hasn't scored and missed two penalties, and that's football.

“I'm not hanging Joe out to dry in any shape or form, I'm just saying that's football today.
What a really poor comment to make.......

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:35 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:27 pm
Lads have to be given chances. If you look at our squad in general, we just spoke about Joe Pigott wanting games. I can shut my eyes and Joe was picked at Oldham, Colchester and on Wednesday.

“So Joe has had three games in two or three weeks. He hasn't scored and missed two penalties, and that's football.

“I'm not hanging Joe out to dry in any shape or form, I'm just saying that's football today.
Unbelievable. Well that is going to do his confidence a world of good. Really great man management skills.

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:45 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:19 pm
I’d like to see him start on Saturday but only if he has our best players around him. I wouldn’t want him starting with a second string midfield and not get any supply because that would do nothing for his confidence, he needs to be given a fair chance to show what he can do because come January he could well be our No 1 striker.
Totally agree with this.

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:47 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:35 pm
Bluemike wrote:

Unbelievable. Well that is going to do his confidence a world of good. Really great man management skills.
Not sure if it’s intentional as I do recall Piggot saying when he signed that he sometimes needs a bit of a kick up the backside.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:17 pm

shabba wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:47 pm
Shed on tour wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:35 pm
Bluemike wrote:

Not sure if it’s intentional as I do recall Piggot saying when he signed that he sometimes needs a bit of a kick up the backside.
Whilst he might need a bit of a kick up the backside I can’t see how highlighting he hasn’t scored and missed 2 penalties in the 2-3 weeks is going to help him. I’m sure he is quite aware of what has happened and I feel it would have been better if Cook had highlighted what attributes he can bring to the team.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:10 pm

I'm not convinced I'm afraid. Yes he's been a fringe player under cook but he has not taken his chances well Imo. Played lower league opposition without success and missed chances from the spot. Not a striker I would have faith in. Jackson comes in from the cold and scores, would rather see him given the nod against barrow.

JamessB

Post by JamessB » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:56 pm

The more I think about it the more daft it seems bringing in one of the most prolific goal scorers in this league to then give him barely any game time. Piggott must have been buzzing after securing his move to ITFC following a great season at Wimbledon only to end up sitting on the bench for 4 months. It might be justifiable if we were setting the world alight but look at our league position and recent performances, I think I’d want a move if I was him!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:08 pm

I don’t expect him for one minute to request a move especially given his confidence is probably rock bottom, however I do expect him to get some decent game time anytime soon and hopefully he will make good use of it.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:06 am

JamessB wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:56 pm
The more I think about it the more daft it seems bringing in one of the most prolific goal scorers in this league to then give him barely any game time. Piggott must have been buzzing after securing his move to ITFC following a great season at Wimbledon only to end up sitting on the bench for 4 months. It might be justifiable if we were setting the world alight but look at our league position and recent performances, I think I’d want a move if I was him!
I’d be interested in digging into his stats, didn’t he score 20 in 46 last season but 7 were pens? So maybe only 1 in 3 for goals per game in open play?

JamessB

Post by JamessB » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:50 pm

It looks like he scored 5 pens out of the 20 league goals last season but they all count, Alan Shearer wouldn't be very happy if you disregarded his 56 penalties scored in the PL!

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:52 pm

I think a 4-4-3 formation with Piggot, Bonne & Jackson up front and in midfield Celina, Chaplin, Morsy, Burns, in defense, Clements, Donacien, Nisala, & Walton in Goal, Subs Bench Edmundson, Burgess, Mizourni, Hladsy, Aluko, just this line up should and would produce goals, with a bench that can be brought on to either strengthen the defense or add a little more to the attack formation.

So yes I think Joe Piggott has a big part to play in 4 4 2 or 4 4 3 formations which again can be tweaked at any time, we must stop this passing sideways and backward and get the ball up to the midfield for more pressure to be applied up front, continuous front pressure to keep the opposition from counter-attacking

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:51 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:52 pm
I think a 4-4-3 formation with Piggot, Bonne & Jackson up front and in midfield Celina, Chaplin, Morsy, Burns, in defense, Clements, Donacien, Nisala, & Walton in Goal, Subs Bench Edmundson, Burgess, Mizourni, Hladsy, Aluko, just this line up should and would produce goals, with a bench that can be brought on to either strengthen the defense or add a little more to the attack formation.

So yes I think Joe Piggott has a big part to play in 4 4 2 or 4 4 3 formations which again can be tweaked at any time, we must stop this passing sideways and backward and get the ball up to the midfield for more pressure to be applied up front, continuous front pressure to keep the opposition from counter-attacking
How does 4 4 3 work? Is Walton a rush goalie😀