Sven: Stay or go?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

toby

Post by toby » Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:28 pm

Sven's record is better than Venables, Venables didn't have to qualify us for any tournaments and argueably blew England's best chance since '66 to win a trophy.

Venables then realised that qualifying for a World Cup and then doing well was going to be a lot harder and did the sensible thing and got the hell out.

Robson only really had one good tournament, Italia '90, and he was lucky to make that after the debacle of Euro '88 when England lost ALL THREE matches!!!

Imagine if that had've happened to Sven, do you think he'd still be in the job?

I don't really see any point in getting rid of Sven unless there is a better alternative, if someone can point to a better coach that can seriously be talked into taking the job then I would be happy to replace him but until then Sven is the best we've got.

monstermunch

Post by monstermunch » Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:56 pm

royleoasis wrote:
toby wrote:But Keegan was supposedly a good motivator and where did he get us?
Supposedly yes, but he was a puppy and we need a bulldog.

A Robson or a Venables. We've more talent now than we had under those two managers, yet they helped England get to semi-finals of major tournaments. Would you truely put Sven up there with Venables and Robson, or suggest he'll do aswell?
But who would replace him? What rightminded english coach would take the job? You can't win. Who cares about the "bulldog" spirit? Where has it got us before? One world cup? 38 years ago? Under sven England have been much improved, remember 5-1? Beating the Argies? Getting the the quarters of the WC? Euro 2004? We lost to Brazil because they're the best team in the whole world, Portugal is the only game where he's really made mistakes (keeping Beckham on, bringing P Neville on). With Rooney and other youngsters coming through we could challenge in 2006.

In truth this madness has little to do with football, it's been whipped up by the gutter press on a slow news week (Telling people about important stuff like Sudan and Iraq doesn't sell papers apparently). The Daily Mail morality police et al should be ashamed, it's little englander xenophobia.

Give Sven a chance, if we loose our opening 2 qualifiers then he should go, not because he (an unmarried man) had sex, it's not a crime!

penlost

Post by penlost » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:00 pm

God, I am so bored with 'revelations' about England Managers in the press. Sven's especially. It's got F**K all to do with the job he is doing and now all of a sudden we are getting the 'Sven should be sacked' statements out again !!!

So, Sven is not motivating the team, we do not have the 'bulldog' spirit? Come on people, I'll agree that Venables and Robson where probably the best of our modern day England Managers and I rated them both highly. But did they really do a better job than Sven is doing now?? look at the results, they speak for themselves. So he doesn't get excited, or cry like Keegan did but he has got the England team playing well and I think that we have the talent to move forward under him. As Toby stated, if anybody comes up with a suitable alternative then I may change my mind, but I'm still waiting ..........