Should we have accepted a £3m bid for Darren?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Mork

Should we have accepted a £3m bid for Darren?

Post by Mork » Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:14 pm

£3 million is a lorra wonga.

But Bent is only senior striker who seems to have a hope of scoring well for us this season.

Difficult decision.

Jus

Post by Jus » Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:17 pm

If the money or most of it is sensibly reinvested in the team by buying someone like Ashton and acquiring another player or two on frees etc I would, otherwise no.

chris

Post by chris » Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:28 pm

Jus wrote:If the money or most of it is sensibly reinvested in the team by buying someone like Ashton and acquiring another player or two on frees etc I would, otherwise no.
I'm with Jus.

Mork

Post by Mork » Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:33 pm

chrisavo wrote:
Jus wrote:If the money or most of it is sensibly reinvested in the team by buying someone like Ashton and acquiring another player or two on frees etc I would, otherwise no.
I'm with Jus.
Give him a cuddle then, he's feeling oppressed.

Bluebird

Post by Bluebird » Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:50 pm

I think a bid of 5/6 million would be hard not to turn down - but will BFJ got part of the money for the squad? If the conditions of the CVA are that the money would go to the creditors then we should hang on to him. Give him a payrise out of Pablo's money!!

squiz18

Post by squiz18 » Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:50 pm

I went for no not at all , hes not for sale

If i ludicrous amount of money was offered then yes , but i believe him and bowditch will fire us back to the premiership this season. If the money was definitely going to be invested into the team so we could buy a few new players , not a few loanees ( and not permanantly sign dinning ! ) like ashton and a midfield player then i think that would benifit the team. Without these new players then losing Bent would not offer any gain to Ipswich Town other than 3 mil off our debts which i dont think is worth it.

Selling him would also revive the " sheepy out " thing , which we dont need at this momment in time.

My gut reaction when i read " Bent offer turned down " was thank god , we need him and he shouldnt be for sale

toby

Post by toby » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:12 pm

Crikey Jus are you this Ashton blokes agent or something? :lol:

Jus

Post by Jus » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:17 pm

No, I just believe he's a good player, his record's even better than Bent's amd I just think he's the kind of player we could do with to replace Bent if he goes.

My worry is Royle will sign some old past it striker or another Shefki which is not what we need.

toby

Post by toby » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:26 pm

Jus wrote:No, I just believe he's a good player, his record's even better than Bent's amd I just think he's the kind of player we could do with to replace Bent if he goes.

My worry is Royle will sign some old past it striker or another Shefki which is not what we need.
Surely there's not another Shefki out there *shudders at the thought*

:lol:

chris

Post by chris » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:55 pm

Didn't Ashton score a cracker against us last year too? He is an awesome player.

The Gaffer

Post by The Gaffer » Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:09 am

chrisavo wrote:Didn't Ashton score a cracker against us last year too? He is an awesome player.
ashton as class act. always liked the guy.. but still he would be around 1 million to bring in anyway. also would crewe wanna part with a potentinal championship contenderm or hold on for a lesser prem club. there in exactlly the same suituation as us.. basically realy on the one stricker for a huge amount of goals a season.

squiz18

Post by squiz18 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:32 pm

and there is no guarante that if we sell bent , that we would get ashton.

Ashton could go to a premiership club and then who else is there ?

Riviera

Post by Riviera » Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:06 pm

the problem with BFJ is hes affraid to go to the lower divisions to get players, i watch plenty of football in the lower leagues and i can assure u there are plenty of capable players there

GavITFC

Post by GavITFC » Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:28 pm

riviera wrote:the problem with BFJ is hes affraid to go to the lower divisions to get players, i watch plenty of football in the lower leagues and i can assure u there are plenty of capable players there
scared to go to the lower leagues? where did we get shefki from then?

GavITFC

Post by GavITFC » Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:30 pm

Keep Benty no matter what the price, with Benty i believe we will get in the Prem and i would rather keep Benty and get the £10m for being in the prem than sell him for a mere £3m.

Trouble is i think Charlton are gonna improve their offer and i'm already suprised the club have turned down an offer! (for once)

James the Brains

Re: Should we have accepted a £3m bid for Darren?

Post by James the Brains » Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:35 pm

noooooooooooooooooooo!!!! we cannot go on selling our homegrown players, it really hurts to see our own talent playing in the premiership for other clubs. I realise sometimes it is neccessary and sometimes it is even inevitable, but right now we're doing well financially and Darren has got a lot more to give this club before he moves on. In two years time he'll be worth a lot more than £3million, and by then he could be playing with us in the premeirship.

Riviera

Post by Riviera » Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:34 pm

GavITFC wrote:
riviera wrote:the problem with BFJ is hes affraid to go to the lower divisions to get players, i watch plenty of football in the lower leagues and i can assure u there are plenty of capable players there
scared to go to the lower leagues? where did we get shefki from then?
kuqi was an international from a fairly big club, i mean clubs such as brentford, mansfield etc....

also kuqi wouldnt get into most of the lower league teams ive seen, hes not good enough :lol:

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:18 pm

Charlton will probably get him in the end if they bid enough, it's a shame but that's the way football is these days. Teams in our league just bring the young players through to be snapped up by bigger teams.

I bet Royle doesn't get the full amount we get for Bent to spend on new players.

Phil

Post by Phil » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:29 pm

bent should stay for at least one more season. because we stand a fairly good chance of playing premiership football in 2005 and if we arent playing top league he will be worth quite bit more.

mr sheepshanks will be a very unpopular person if bent or any of the young players goes.

Mork

Post by Mork » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:41 pm

Blue Phil wrote:bent should stay for at least one more season. because we stand a fairly good chance of playing premiership football in 2005 and if we arent playing top league he will be worth quite bit more.

mr sheepshanks will be a very unpopular person if bent or any of the young players goes.
We do?

I think not.

Phil

Post by Phil » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:52 pm

Mork wrote:
Blue Phil wrote:bent should stay for at least one more season. because we stand a fairly good chance of playing premiership football in 2005 and if we arent playing top league he will be worth quite bit more.

We do?

I think not.
imho we do, tighten the defence and we'll be well on our way.

jono

Post by jono » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:52 pm

if our club had any sence then we should be holding out for more money cos i meen 3 million for a star like bent is a joke to me really we should be waiting for a bigger offer than that around 6-10 million cos they are offers u cant refuse but thats me i guess no less cos he is a great striker 3 million is real cheap for a great player such as darren id rather have darren than 3 million but if the money was doubled then it would need to be considered and it would be wise to let him go otherwise keep him cos he will play a important roll in maybe getting us into a top 2 place or another shot at the playoffs. watever they do dont let him go for such low money. waiting another season because this might increase his valuation.

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:58 am

There's not a chance someone will pay 6 to 10 million for Bent.

NottsBlue

Post by NottsBlue » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:04 am

Gaz wrote:There's not a chance someone will pay 6 to 10 million for Bent.
Earnshaw is worth 3.5 Million and hes better than Bent is, so theres no chance Bent is worth that

Notts Blue

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:16 am

That's just what I was saying, if Charlton up their bid to 3.5m I reckon we will take it unless they are going to sign Saviola from Barca :roll:

toby

Post by toby » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:21 am

Blue Phil wrote: imho we do, tighten the defence and we'll be well on our way.
Blue Phil what is going on in your signature?

We've got 10 points from 5 games and we're in 53rd position?
I know they've renamed the league but I didn't realise they'd expanded it to over 50 teams!

squiz18

Post by squiz18 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:27 am

toby wrote:
Blue Phil wrote: imho we do, tighten the defence and we'll be well on our way.
Blue Phil what is going on in your signature?

We've got 10 points from 5 games and we're in 53rd position?
I know they've renamed the league but I didn't realise they'd expanded it to over 50 teams!

Must be another initative to raise the profile of the league by making it more exciting........

jono

Post by jono » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:29 pm

Gaz wrote:There's not a chance someone will pay 6 to 10 million for Bent.
yea they will if they want him so bad i find it hard to believe that no1 will pay that sort of money for a quaility player like bent i meen earnshaw is worth 3.5 but he hasnt really done much had he.

its my opinion that he should be valued at 6 million or watever wether the club will sell him for less or more who knows

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:47 pm

I think your dreaming if you think Bent is worth £6m :wink:

Dazza

Re: Should we have accepted a £3m bid for Darren?

Post by Dazza » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:49 pm

Mork wrote:£3 million is a lorra wonga.

But Bent is only senior striker who seems to have a hope of scoring well for us this season.

Difficult decision.
No.