Which player?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

baxterbasics

Which player?

Post by baxterbasics » Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:13 pm

Given the recent talk about Bent and Bowditch going, and Sheepy saying it would have to be a big sum for any young talent to go.....

Imagine if two bids came in, one for Benty at 5million and one for Bowditch at 5million. The board take a look at the books and say "well we have to let one of them go for that money - let Joe decide which one goes"

Which player should Joe let go?

Lewis

Post by Lewis » Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:17 pm

Would have to be Bent.

IMO, Bowditch has much more potential than Bent, and he's two years younger and still managing to get on the scoresheet at Championship level!

Bowditch has the potential to really be a big star, I wouldn't be surprised if he played in the Sheringham type role for England in the years to come....

Bluebird

Post by Bluebird » Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:54 pm

spot on Lewis!

Foxy Lady

Post by Foxy Lady » Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:07 pm

Yep...would have to agree with you there Lewis.

Qbert72

Post by Qbert72 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:48 pm

THere is no choice really as Deano is the future and Bent is the Present.

We are looking to the future so Deano everytime.

Phil

Post by Phil » Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:41 am

imho they are at the same level at the moment. so it would have to be bent to go because bowditch has more potential. but both will be stars of the future

Dazza

Post by Dazza » Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:52 pm

Lewis wrote:Would have to be Bent.

IMO, Bowditch has much more potential than Bent, and he's two years younger and still managing to get on the scoresheet at Championship level!

Bowditch has the potential to really be a big star, I wouldn't be surprised if he played in the Sheringham type role for England in the years to come....
Good point, but sadly we cant afford to be a team who will have players who are good in a few years? Ipswich have a small enough squad as it is and we need a team of peroformers this year and not a team that will have potential in years to come.

Saying that Bowditch has been performing well this season but JR doesnt seem to think he is ready (I'm sure he knows what he is doing)

I'm glad I dont have to make this real life choice! It's a catch 22, screwed whatever we do!

essexboy21

Post by essexboy21 » Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:11 pm

Deano every time however Darren seems to really be hitting form and is showing no signs of letting up!! But dean has more potential than Darren has ever really shown!!

chris

Post by chris » Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:30 am

I'd sell both for 10 million and build a quality defence first, then midfield then strikers. If you look at all the top teams in all of the leagues every year, it's their defence that set's them apart from the rest.

ATB

Post by ATB » Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:18 am

i'm actually quite suprised at this poll... firstly with people saying that Bent is the present Dean is the future, BENT IS ONLY 21!!!!!!! he's got a fair amount of future ahead of him...

i would sell Bowditch because Bent is a proven striker now.. don't get me wrong, Dean is fantastic, but i think and obviously Joe thinks that Darren is currently the better player.. i think we'd have more chance getting promoted with Darren than Dean

tractor_babe

Post by tractor_babe » Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:15 am

i wouldnt sell either, lol nah if i had to make a choice i really wouldnt know...darren is great but deano is just as good and they both have got a chance 2 make it even better than they already are

Drunken Munky

Post by Drunken Munky » Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:48 pm

ATB wrote:i'm actually quite suprised at this poll... firstly with people saying that Bent is the present Dean is the future, BENT IS ONLY 21!!!!!!! he's got a fair amount of future ahead of him...

i would sell Bowditch because Bent is a proven striker now.. don't get me wrong, Dean is fantastic, but i think and obviously Joe thinks that Darren is currently the better player.. i think we'd have more chance getting promoted with Darren than Dean
I agree :wink:

dukey33

Post by dukey33 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:50 pm

Bents going to be worth more than that by Jan!!

uefacup81

Post by uefacup81 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:26 am

Sorry everyone but I'd sell Deano. We have to look at the immediate future and not 2/3 years time. If we get into the premiership this season we'll need a striker who can handle world class defences and has international experience as well as having proven himself as one of the best strikers in the division. Along with that, the £5m we would get for Bowditch could go a long way towards shoring up our defence... just think of an Elliott/De Vos partnership!?