Marcus Bent debate

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

lunchbox

Marcus Bent debate

Post by lunchbox » Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:59 pm

My aim is to find out if pople think that either:

a) Marcus Bent is having one of these great seasons like Marcus Stewart or David Johnson that strikers can do.
b) Bent is a great player and always has been
c) It's to do with the quality of service the player is recieving ie poor quaility at Ipswich, Lester and good at Everton.
d) He hasn't changed

Am not saying we shouldn't of sold bent as we got £450000 from him and we needed the money. But did he underperform at ipswich and if so why do you think?

toby

Post by toby » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:03 pm

Not sure if he really underperformed with us as I think his goal scoring record hasn't really changed throughout his career, I just think that people misunderstood what sort of player he is.

He's a talented goalscorer but he's not the sort of player who's going to work his socks off and run himself into the ground therefore he'll do well in a team that is doing well and not so well in a team that's struggling, Everton are doing well thus he's scoring goals.

Luke

Post by Luke » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:04 pm

Ive always rated Benty when on top form is england material IMO

Lewis

Post by Lewis » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:09 pm

I've gone for B...

I agree with Toby, in that people misunderstood the way Marcus played. He wasn't one to go tearing around the pitch, but he was intelligent, got himself in the right areas and more often than not finished the chances he had.

Similar situation to Pablo IMO, in that Bent was trying to be moulded into something that he could never be, a workhorse, a la Pablo.

Mork

Re: Marcus Bent debate

Post by Mork » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:13 pm

lunchbox wrote:My aim is to find out if pople think that either:

a) Marcus Bent is having one of these great seasons like Marcus Stewart or David Johnson that strikers can do.
c) It's to do with the quality of service the player is recieving ie poor quaility at Ipswich, Lester and good at Everton.
d) He hasn't changed

Am not saying we shouldn't of sold bent as we got £450000 from him and we needed the money. But did he underperform at ipswich and if so why do you think?
What about, he makes an effort now he's in the Premiership, and by the end of his stay at Town, wanted nothing but out (hence, only played well when Sky were watching).

Look at his goal against Norwich on Saturday - number of times he should have run into space like that for us and just stood there looking bored....

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:43 pm

I voted b I rated him and still do.Like toby said hes no workhorse but he can finish when given the service.Great goal against the sh*te for example :lol:

Bluebird

Post by Bluebird » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:49 pm

I voted A, but would qualify it by adding its a FIRST season factor. Every club appears to have moved him on when he fails to deliver in the second season.

GavITFC

Re: Marcus Bent debate

Post by GavITFC » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:50 pm

Mork wrote:
lunchbox wrote:My aim is to find out if pople think that either:

d) He hasn't changed

What about, he makes an effort now he's in the Premiership, and by the end of his stay at Town, wanted nothing but out (hence, only played well when Sky were watching).

Look at his goal against Norwich on Saturday - number of times he should have run into space like that for us and just stood there looking bored....
I'm with Mork I jus think he wasn't trying which is why i can't stand the bloke (unless he's scoring against naarrwich!!)

the-mole

Post by the-mole » Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:08 pm

I always rated his ability and have often said an in form and interested Marcus Bent is world class - problem is motivation I think.

I know he will never be a major workhorse but the guy has bags of ability and should be working hard using what he has. I think what seperates england players from non-england players is perhaps that extra % of workrate both on and off the pitch.

Whether you like becks or not - the guy has trained consistently hard for years to perfect his free kicks and dead ball passes - even after training had long finished. Is Marcus Bent the kind of guy to train extra - to elevate himself to the top of football - IMO I don't think he would.

I think had we had that in form Marcus Bent we would currently be back in the prem - problem is we don't have him - and if we did him would he be hungry?

crazee

Post by crazee » Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:36 pm

i think im gonna argee with mork here, but if he played to his full abilty the whole time he would be a pretty good player, but some times there was no effort from him.

his goal scoring past is werid tho, at port vale he socred one in 23 apperances, yet at leiciester he got 10 in about 30

DeIpswich

Post by DeIpswich » Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:51 pm

I've gone for B also. He's a good player IMO and a good goalscorer. But the sad thing is he has to be playing in the Premiership. You will see the best of him if he's playing for a team doing well, and the worst of him in a team doing badly.
But I get the feeling he thinks he's a better player than he actually is (a bit like Bellamy).

Rach

Post by Rach » Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:42 pm

Im not sure it's any of them really - I would just say his change is down to more effort, maybe a little more understanding of the game (he was only 23 when he joined us) and also because he's playing a slightly different role at Everton (up front with Cahill just behind him).

freeblue

Post by freeblue » Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:49 am

This topic should have been called 'Marcus Bent mass debate' because he has been, still is and will always be a wanker.

marko1892

Post by marko1892 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:31 am

hes a canny lad like. dunno how i rate him i would say hes more of a division one striker personally. but when playing in a strong side.

there was talk of him coming our way (Like mosta ipswich's lot :p) or was that Darren Bent? think it was actually, ah well there both bent at the end of the day

AMBROSETRACTORGIRL

Post by AMBROSETRACTORGIRL » Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:50 am

freeblue wrote:This topic should have been called 'Marcus Bent mass debate' because he has been, still is and will always be a wanker.
yep i agree wiv ya toatally he was sh*t when he was wiv us and i couldnt wait to get rid of him hes not doing that bad at everton i suppose :)

toby

Post by toby » Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:05 pm

AMBROSETRACTORGIRL wrote:
freeblue wrote:This topic should have been called 'Marcus Bent mass debate' because he has been, still is and will always be a wanker.
yep i agree wiv ya toatally he was sh*t when he was wiv us and i couldnt wait to get rid of him hes not doing that bad at everton i suppose :)
Totally sh*t?

I seem to remember that the season we got relegated he was the only striker who was scoring any goals and was pretty vital in our run of 7 wins in 8 games that hauled us off the bottom of the table after Christmas.

Like I said before he's a good striker in a good team but he's not the sort of player who can pull a poor team up by their bootlaces.

Petrescu

Post by Petrescu » Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:04 am

He's just brilliant, like he was for us last season :)