Poll - Should we strengthen now or leave things as they are

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Dubai Blue

Poll - Should we strengthen now or leave things as they are

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:21 pm

I think its an interesting question. JR clearly feels that 'when it aint broke, don't try to fix it' and to back him up the evidence is that right now we are in the second automatic promotion spot. Of course there is another arguament that says okay, let's spend a little now and strengthen our position. Make sure that we don't get easily caught up. Try to take a little stress out of the situation.

I reckon most of the posters on here are closet managers so what do you think ?

toby

Post by toby » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:26 pm

Hmmmm....good question.

I think that we should only strengthen if the right player is available at the right price (ie. free!), there's no point in getting in a player just to make up the numbers (known as the "Dinning Effect"!).

Trouble is though that inorder to strengthen the squad we would most probably need to sell first.

Diddy Dubz

Post by Diddy Dubz » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:29 pm

toby wrote: Trouble is though that inorder to strengthen the squad we would most probably need to sell first.
1 name springs to mind....... Pablo

McDonna29
Site Administrator

Re: Poll - Should we strengthen now or leave things as they

Post by McDonna29 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:32 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:I think its an interesting question. JR clearly feels that 'when it aint broke, don't try to fix it' and to back him up the evidence is that right now we are in the second automatic promotion spot. Of course there is another arguament that says okay, let's spend a little now and strengthen our position. Make sure that we don't get easily caught up. Try to take a little stress out of the situation.

I reckon most of the posters on here are closet managers so what do you think ?
I've gone for strengthen, but under the premise that it includes loan signings.

I feel we should be strengthening the squad in moderation. We're very thin this season and it won't take much to completely screw us up. A couple of good (and low cost hopefully) loan signings would help take some of the pressure off.

I don't think we're in a position to buy, though if the right player / players came along on free, we'd be wise to take a look. We have to be careful though not to overdo things. If this season isn't ours, we can't afford to have spent too much as it could very well leave us in a rather uncomfortable financial position :?

Of course if we could get Pablo off the books.....

Bluebird

Post by Bluebird » Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:57 pm

I feel we should be strengthening the squad in moderation. We're very thin this season and it won't take much to completely screw us up. A couple of good (and low cost hopefully) loan signings would help take some of the pressure off.
I agree with the McDonna, and would add that if we strengthened now it would both, create competition for places and ensure cover is in place to cope immediately with injuries etc.

ShannockSid

Post by ShannockSid » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:17 pm

bluebird wrote:
I agree with the McDonna, and would add that if we strengthened now it would both, create competition for places and ensure cover is in place to cope immediately with injuries etc.
Two days ago I would have agreed with you. But reading the press release about Joe having players in mind who ARE available at short notice heartens me. Let's wait and see, then take action as soon as injuries and suspensions dictate.

It's still the lack of strength in depth of our midfield that worries me. One injury there to either Magilton, Horlock, Miller or Westlake would leave us struggling.

crikes

Post by crikes » Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:57 pm

I say we are doing ok at the moment so i would be inclined to leave the money in the bank for now.

However if the right person becomes availble for loan to strengthen the team then i think we should go for it.

But I really don't wnat to see money thrown away on a player like the shadow

artemis

Post by artemis » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:25 pm

Whilst we are doing O.K. with what we have I would leave things as they are for the moment.Yes we are short in a lot of departments,but if we buy a midfield player,sorry should be get a midfield player on loan and have a serious injury to some one in defence we could have problems.I would see where we were in a few weeks and hang on hopefuuly to use the money for a final push.