should we have video replays at football matches?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Riviera

should we have video replays at football matches?

Post by Riviera » Wed May 04, 2005 9:44 am

yes or no??

personally im completely against it

how can u make it fair to all teams? most teams in the championship couldnt afford the technology, so only prem teams would have it, none of the league one or two teams could afford it either, and there is just as much at stake at this time of the season in the lower leagues as there is in the prem, the fans feel good and bad decisions just as much as prem fans

i was always taught that u go to a football match at 3pm on saturday to have a good swear and have a laugh with ur mates, watch the match and then go for a beer and talk about the match, IMHO thats the way it should be

we dont need stoppages for refs to make sure they got decisions right, the game in this country is played at pace, and is very physical, we'd be stopping every 2 mins if we had replays

keep the game in this country as it is.....the big boys want to pay big money for players and on wages then let them, they only have themselves to blame if the ref ( who is only human) gets the odd decsion wrong

note - this does not include andy d'urso because hes a blind tosspot whos not fit to ref a kids game

Hacaman

Post by Hacaman » Wed May 04, 2005 10:04 am

So are we talking any electronic help?

complete video replays for any incident?

goal lines cameras only?

I agree with a lot of what you have put Riv, but there is increasing calls to have goal line cameras, technology that can help decide matter of fact arguements..... i.e. did the ball cross the line, maybe there is a case for that...

as for anything more NO, we still need the ref/assistant refs to make decisions that depend on opinion even if they do get it wrong.....we wouldn't have anything to chat about otherwise

Riviera

Post by Riviera » Wed May 04, 2005 10:13 am

Hacaman wrote:So are we talking any electronic help?

complete video replays for any incident?

goal lines cameras only?

I agree with a lot of what you have put Riv, but there is increasing calls to have goal line cameras, technology that can help decide matter of fact arguements..... i.e. did the ball cross the line, maybe there is a case for that...

as for anything more NO, we still need the ref/assistant refs to make decisions that depend on opinion even if they do get it wrong.....we wouldn't have anything to chat about otherwise
so say for arguments sake Rochdale are playing Chester City in a game to decide who goes up or down to the conference, would they have the benifits of this technology? their fans are as passionate if not more so than fans in the prem league, their club could go out of the league on a dodgy goal line decision, but they wont have replays etc to save themselves ... so why is it so important that the jumped up tossers in the premier league think they should have it?

football has survived for over a 100 years without it

uefacup81

Post by uefacup81 » Wed May 04, 2005 10:33 am

I think the events of the past few months have put forward a compelling case for replays in the case of questionable decisions - Spurs/ManUtd and last night's matches spring to mind. Regarding the point of cost - all it would cost would be for a video camera to be fitted monitoring the goal-line and being recorded on the touchline - not really that expensive is it?

Riviera

Post by Riviera » Wed May 04, 2005 10:41 am

uefacup81 wrote:I think the events of the past few months have put forward a compelling case for replays in the case of questionable decisions - Spurs/ManUtd and last night's matches spring to mind. Regarding the point of cost - all it would cost would be for a video camera to be fitted monitoring the goal-line and being recorded on the touchline - not really that expensive is it?
somehow i think the cost wouldnt be that simple, plus there would have to be at least one more official at the games

i see uve used the manure - spurs game as an example, a prem league match...these dodgy decisions go on outside the prem league as well but we dont hear about them because the clubs involved just get on with it instead of moaning about how much money a dodgy decision has cost them

uefacup81

Post by uefacup81 » Wed May 04, 2005 10:54 am

OK Riv - without being confrontational - how would you cost it?

Riviera

Post by Riviera » Wed May 04, 2005 11:06 am

uefacup81 wrote:OK Riv - without being confrontational - how would you cost it?
i tend to look at cost from the eyes of a lower league club because i watch a lot of football at Torquay, i know for a fact that Torquay wouldnt be able to afford it, they're run on probably the tightest budget in the league, they are probably the only club in league football not in debt, and with the current chairman wouldnt even consider it simply because of cost

firstly - at least one more official, probably 2
secondly - a place in the ground where the official can view the footage, something that clubs with a ground the size of plainmoor would have to build

so we're talking thousands of pounds IMHO, try and justify that to a cambridge fan this season if they had to install this technology instead of maybe buying a player or helping to pay a players wages that might of gotten them out of trouble

uefacup81

Post by uefacup81 » Wed May 04, 2005 11:15 am

they way I see it is that it wouldn't be that difficult to find somewhere to view the footage - in American Football they have a monitor between the technical areas where the 478th official sits. It wouldn't be too difficult to run a line around the pitch to where the 4th official sits.

Regarding officials - we already have the fourth (who sits around the technical area anyway and doesn't do a huge amount)... surely he could also check footage?

Luke

Post by Luke » Wed May 04, 2005 11:16 am

I say no thease things even themselves out over a season. Part of the great game is there is room for human error we dont want to take that out of the game surley!

uefacup81

Post by uefacup81 » Wed May 04, 2005 11:18 am

Luke wrote:I say no thease things even themselves out over a season. Part of the great game is there is room for human error we dont want to take that out of the game surley!
I think I mentioned it in an earlier post (a few months back) but sometimes they don't and cause huge consequences. A few seasons back Bolton got relegated by 1 goal - in their first game of the season the referee disallowed a goal in the same style as was disallowed for Spurs earlier in the season. With the financial climate in football at the moment, many clubs cannot afford these kind of errors by officials

Luke

Post by Luke » Wed May 04, 2005 11:22 am

uefacup81 wrote:
Luke wrote:I say no thease things even themselves out over a season. Part of the great game is there is room for human error we dont want to take that out of the game surley!
I think I mentioned it in an earlier post (a few months back) but sometimes they don't and cause huge consequences. A few seasons back Bolton got relegated by 1 goal - in their first game of the season the referee disallowed a goal in the same style as was disallowed for Spurs earlier in the season. With the financial climate in football at the moment, many clubs cannot afford these kind of errors by officials
Another gr8 thing about the game is how its the same at all levels if you bring in videos theres no way that sunday leauge etc would bring it in

uefacup81

Post by uefacup81 » Wed May 04, 2005 11:23 am

Fair point there Luke... but then again - there isn't quite as much at stake in Sunday League as in the World Cup or Champions League!

Hacaman

Post by Hacaman » Wed May 04, 2005 11:24 am

Luke wrote:
uefacup81 wrote:
Another gr8 thing about the game is how its the same at all levels if you bring in videos theres no way that sunday leauge etc would bring it in
Do all Sunday league games have a 4th official?

Luke

Post by Luke » Wed May 04, 2005 11:25 am

Hacaman wrote:
Luke wrote:
uefacup81 wrote: I think I mentioned it in an earlier post (a few months back) but sometimes they don't and cause huge consequences. A few seasons back Bolton got relegated by 1 goal - in their first game of the season the referee disallowed a goal in the same style as was disallowed for Spurs earlier in the season. With the financial climate in football at the moment, many clubs cannot afford these kind of errors by officials
If the club can afford it then yes it has been known

uefacup81

Post by uefacup81 » Wed May 04, 2005 11:26 am

They're lucky if they get one qualified official! Most of the time it's an FA referee supported by a linesman from either side. Then again, there's been many a time where I've had to turn 'impartial' and referee for my village team!

Hacaman

Post by Hacaman » Wed May 04, 2005 11:27 am

Luke wrote:
Hacaman wrote:
Luke wrote: Another gr8 thing about the game is how its the same at all levels if you bring in videos theres no way that sunday leauge etc would bring it in
If the club can afford it then yes it has been known
That was a genuine question btw :oops:

Luke

Post by Luke » Wed May 04, 2005 11:28 am

uefacup81 wrote:They're lucky if they get one qualified official! Most of the time it's an FA referee supported by a linesman from either side. Then again, there's been many a time where I've had to turn 'impartial' and referee for my village team!
The point is that video technology would change the game signicuntly where as having just the one reff doesnt...

uefacup81

Post by uefacup81 » Wed May 04, 2005 11:29 am

Luke wrote:
uefacup81 wrote:They're lucky if they get one qualified official! Most of the time it's an FA referee supported by a linesman from either side. Then again, there's been many a time where I've had to turn 'impartial' and referee for my village team!
The point is that video technology would change the game signicuntly where as having just the one reff doesnt...
Well... it does when the 'one ref' just happens to usually play for one of the teams contesting the match... not that I'd know anything about that! :roll: :wink:

Luke

Post by Luke » Wed May 04, 2005 11:31 am

uefacup81 wrote:
Luke wrote:
Well... it does when the 'one ref' just happens to usually play for one of the teams contesting the match... not that I'd know anything about that! :roll: :wink:
Ive never come across that in 4 years of playing mens leauge football...

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed May 04, 2005 1:00 pm

The Champions Leage & the Prem are about money not really sport. Sport is about variability & the influence of lady luck as much as ability, CL & PL demand shareholder return and ROI ratios.

Thus it seems that guaranteed accuracy is more necessary when millions of invested money depend on it.

I strongly support video replays in CL & PL and think that the cost would be lost in most budgets at this level.

Below this level there is no need and as Riv points out implementation at Torquay would be plain stupid (sorry Riv I don't think we'll see Torquay in PL or CL any time soon).

What we should be arguing is whether in the fizzy league there is a need or not :lol:

Hacaman

Post by Hacaman » Wed May 04, 2005 1:04 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:The Champions Leage & the Prem are about money not really sport. Sport is about variability & the influence of lady luck as much as ability, CL & PL demand shareholder return and ROI ratios.

Thus it seems that guaranteed accuracy is more necessary when millions of invested money depend on it.

I strongly support video replays in CL & PL and think that the cost would be lost in most budgets at this level.

Below this level there is no need and as Riv points out implementation at Torquay would be plain stupid (sorry Riv I don't think we'll see Torquay in PL or CL any time soon).

What we should be arguing is whether in the fizzy league there is a need or not :lol:
after Sunday we wont :D

uefacup81

Post by uefacup81 » Wed May 04, 2005 2:07 pm

Luke wrote:
uefacup81 wrote:
Luke wrote: The point is that video technology would change the game signicuntly where as having just the one reff doesnt...
Ive never come across that in 4 years of playing mens leauge football...
Then again, sporle fc only play in division 5 of the north-west norfolk league!

Strike

Post by Strike » Wed May 04, 2005 2:26 pm

I agree with Rivera, on this. Except I think Phil Prosser is also a wanker along with Andy D'Urso

JasperBlue

Re: should we have video replays at football matches?

Post by JasperBlue » Wed May 04, 2005 2:46 pm

I'm against video replays but would be for a system that informed the referee when the ball is fully over the line. I think this can be done quite cheaply using sensors in the ball and the goalposts so that the ref or fourth official would hear a beep if the ball fully crosses the line. This wouldn't cause any stoppages but would cut out probably the most frustrating of mistakes, especially when these decisions usually go against the smaller teams in the Premiership. Also, because it is relatively cheap it could be introduced at most levels of the game (possibly not Sunday League though!)

Phil

Post by Phil » Wed May 04, 2005 3:16 pm

having Read through this Thread my oppinion has swayed more towards against it. we could do without the game being American-ised. just imagine if there was Vidoe replay technology how many stops there would be because managers like Ferguson would want a replay of every single insident on the pitch. I'm sure everyones Oppinons would change tho if we were Chelsea and Preston were Liverpool in the Final at Cardiff.

wicked blue

Post by wicked blue » Wed May 04, 2005 4:10 pm

i wouldnt like video replays, i think that would make it too stop/start. But i really think that a sensor in the ball and on the line to show wether the ball has crossed the line is desparately needed. I know these sensors are relatively inexpensive, theyre used in radio control car racing and dont cost too much.
I suppose its similar to the red eye in tennis, this doesnt disrupt the match in any way, in fact less, as the players just cant argue with it so dont!

DeIpswich

Post by DeIpswich » Wed May 04, 2005 5:53 pm

I am definately FOR the use of video replays. A team could lose out on millions of pounds due to a mistake by an official and I don't think that's fair! For example a team could be relegated from the Premiership or not promoted to the Primership due to a simple mistake by a referee/linesman - not spotting the ball going over the line. That is a goal! And HAS to be given as a goal! And if the only way this can be acheived is through video replays, then I'm all for it.

How would we feel Sunday afternoon if we have a goal disallowed Sunday afternoon that costs us promotion? Or if Wigan have a goal allowed which shouldn't have been, that gains them promotion?

Rach

Post by Rach » Wed May 04, 2005 6:12 pm

I really can't decide about this, I think it'd make football fairer, but it depends on the extent its taken to. If its just for deciding whether goals go over the line then I think yes, but as soon as it's introduced I think its bound to be gradually moved to cover all decisions. That would take all the excitement out of the game, and think how many times weve gained points this season through decisions which have gone our way!!