Playoff rethink (bit of a lenght)

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

azbedwell

Playoff rethink (bit of a lenght)

Post by azbedwell » Thu May 19, 2005 3:29 am

Hey was just going to put out an idea to revise the playoffs. Firstly i know that this will just seem like im saying this as we have lost again but i am not. I think that the playoffs are vital to the lower leagues as otherwise for far to many teams the season will be over by febuary, the playoffs gives a chance for the teams in mid table to go for half way through the season, plus the playoff final is one of the best one off matches in the world, it is just about always more exciting than the FA cup final and better than any world or european championship final i have ever seen (i am only 19). However i think the playoffs should involve three teams. The team in third goes straight to the final while the 4th and 5th will playoff then play the 3rd team in the final (i think this is done to decide the zurich rugby champions.) I think this would give the team in third a real advantage. At the moment the team in third (who on the whole are dissapointed from not getting 2nd) have to play 6th (who often are on a high from a good form which enabled their run in to the playoff zone) It is clear from the fact tyhat we are the only 1st div team ever to go up through playoff after finishing 3rd that current system is unfair. What does everyone think?

ATB

Post by ATB » Thu May 19, 2005 10:06 am

I like the 3rd team straight in the playoff option...

definately more fair than the current system

Mork

Post by Mork » Thu May 19, 2005 10:07 am

Without being too cynical, If we'd known 3rd place was automatic promotion, or automatic Cardiff, I'm sure we'd have found a way of finishing fourth.

Bluebird

Post by Bluebird » Thu May 19, 2005 11:40 am

Mork wrote:Without being too cynical, If we'd known 3rd place was automatic promotion, or automatic Cardiff, I'm sure we'd have found a way of finishing fourth.
:lol: :lol: The sad thing is thats so true

Frankie

Post by Frankie » Thu May 19, 2005 11:54 am

I Liek the soudn of the striaght to Cardiff option, come on we were 12 points ahead of 6th place!!

toby

Post by toby » Thu May 19, 2005 12:21 pm

Best system I heard was 6th play 5th at 5th's home ground.

Winner of that plays 4th at 4th home ground.

Winner of that plays 3rd at Wembley/Cardiff.

Although this will never be implemented due to the lack of money spinning fixtures.

Also if scores are level at fulltime then I think the team which finished higher in the league should go through...sod extra time and penalties.

ITFC10

Post by ITFC10 » Thu May 19, 2005 1:37 pm

3rd place should be automatically promoted in my view.

The playoffs is only done to add excitement and keep the season running longer.

nieros
Site Administrator

Post by nieros » Thu May 19, 2005 1:39 pm

mork had a good idea.

every 3 points you have above the team in 6th place your awarded one goal going into the game.

so 12 points, we would have been 4-0 up before starting against west ham.

*nods*

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Fri May 20, 2005 11:32 am

In different thread I put forward the following which is supposed to reflect the ideas that ;

a. The best teams over the year should be going up.
b. If there is a big difference at the end of the year there shouldn't be a chance for a couple of freak results to get the prize. Fizzy league is a league, not a knockout competition.

Generally teams only play off if they are less than 10 points behind 2nd place team, (except case d.).

a. If there are 4 teams that qualify then they play off as now. In a draw over 2 legs the higher placed team goes through.

b. If only 3 teams qualify then 5th plays 4th for a place against 3rd in the final.

c. If only 2 qualify then they play off in the final. Draw means 3rd goes up.

d. If none qualify then 3rd - 6th play off.

For a team that finishes 12 points behind 3rd placed team to be in the playoff final and maybe even get promoted is a nonsense.

Missblue

Post by Missblue » Fri May 20, 2005 2:28 pm

I think thee should be something like, if 3rd place are so many points ahead of 4th, like for instance..10/12? then they should go straight to Cardiff, orrr straight up orrr something similar :roll: :? :lol:

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri May 20, 2005 2:52 pm

I'm fed up with this whole argument.

The play-offs were devised in conjunction with Sky. Like it or not, Sky is the number one source of income for most clubs, and they've decided that the play-offs are a good income generator.

And I must admit, I enjoy watching all the play-off games (well, apart from ours).

It's not Sky's fault that we've got a terrible play-off record. It's not Sky's fault we were even in the play-offs. If you want to blame anybody, then blame the idiots who let a 6 point lead slip.

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Fri May 20, 2005 3:12 pm

rossi wrote:I'm fed up with this whole argument.

The play-offs were devised in conjunction with Sky. Like it or not, Sky is the number one source of income for most clubs, and they've decided that the play-offs are a good income generator.

And I must admit, I enjoy watching all the play-off games (well, apart from ours).

It's not Sky's fault that we've got a terrible play-off record. It's not Sky's fault we were even in the play-offs. If you want to blame anybody, then blame the idiots who let a 6 point lead slip.

spot on rossi and straight to the point as usual :D

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Sat May 21, 2005 12:10 am

Just to change tack slightly.

How about 3rd in CCC plays 18th in Prem - 2 legged play-off.

Might sound a bit stupid, but at least it gives the 3rd best team in the league a decent chance of going up and may (possibly) show if the teams going up are better than those coming down.

ippers

Post by ippers » Sat May 21, 2005 12:15 am

No, not that stupid relli, thats the system that they have in Italy and would keep the excitement up, but then again there is quite a big gulf from say Crystal palace to us this season and the championship team has little chance imo

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Sat May 21, 2005 12:25 am

That may be true, but at least you know you have been beaten by a better team, not one that could not keep pace with you in the league you are already in!!

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sat May 21, 2005 7:54 pm

Well in fact this used to be the system many years ago.

Rossi. I agree it is a pointless discussion. But nevertheless it is interesting to hear different ideas , regardless of if they have any chance of being implemented.

Not like you to take part in a thread that you're fed up of ? :wink: