Magilton Contract?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

BRIG

Magilton Contract?

Post by BRIG » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:34 pm

I think that we should only have offered Jim a contract if he is to be a super sub. We could maybe play him from the start of the season until Juan is ready. Then from about October time when the pitches are getting heavier, and Juan has had a run of reserve appearances, Jim could become a super sub. He would be a great player to come off the bench for the last 30 mins or so to either open up the opposition, or to shore things up. If we play him all season, our midfield will be too slow and predictable.

Mork

Re: Magilton Contract?

Post by Mork » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:39 pm

BRIG wrote:I think that we should only have offered Jim a contract if he is to be a super sub. We could maybe play him from the start of the season until Juan is ready. Then from about October time when the pitches are getting heavier, and Juan has had a run of reserve appearances, Jim could become a super sub. He would be a great player to come off the bench for the last 30 mins or so to either open up the opposition, or to shore things up. If we play him all season, our midfield will be too slow and predictable.
Agreed. He's got far too much quality to not offer a contract to, but we have to find a replacement at the same time - Jim has to be realistic, he can't play 90 minutes at the best of times anymore.

the-mole

Re: Magilton Contract?

Post by the-mole » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:45 pm

Mork wrote:
BRIG wrote:I think that we should only have offered Jim a contract if he is to be a super sub. We could maybe play him from the start of the season until Juan is ready. Then from about October time when the pitches are getting heavier, and Juan has had a run of reserve appearances, Jim could become a super sub. He would be a great player to come off the bench for the last 30 mins or so to either open up the opposition, or to shore things up. If we play him all season, our midfield will be too slow and predictable.
Agreed. He's got far too much quality to not offer a contract to, but we have to find a replacement at the same time - Jim has to be realistic, he can't play 90 minutes at the best of times anymore.
I think it is a shame that Jim cannot play 90 mins anymore - but I seriously question why a man of 35 (please correct me if I am wrong) cannot keep a level of fitness which would enable him to last this time and why he cannot also inprove some of his pace.

Now before I get shot down in flames by some of you - Jim is a paid professional athlete, I look at Dennis Bergkamp at Arsenal who is about Jims age and he seems to be twice as quick and twice as fit as our jim. Now arsenal may be superior to us in terms of fitness coaches available but I am sure jim could improve his fitness and his pace if some of his training was altered to suit.

I have read many times before where older pro footy players seem to be taking it easier as they get older, anybody who is actively involved in fitness would know that the older you get the harder the have to work, not the other way round. It amazes me that footballers struggle to last beyond the age of 34 (of course there are exceptions) realistically speaking the human body should be able to sustain a professional footballer up onto the age of about 45 (maximum).

Jim has never been reknown for being a player to cover every blade of grass, and has never been known for his speed - so realistically speaking his body should be in far better condition than other players of similar age - why is then that he is struggling so much??

I am not trying to have a dig at the bloke but in modern football with all the science that is availble to help players I cannot understand why someone can be so slow and struggle to finish 90 mins of exercise. However the guy does has awesome ability both as a footballer and a leader and I believe ITFC will not be as strong without him. I would just like to see him that bit quicker and sharper so that he can give ITFC maybe an extra 5-10% next season.