Wilnis at left back

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Ipswich Loyal

Wilnis at left back

Post by Ipswich Loyal » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:46 pm

No way can he cut it at left back, he is always cutting into his right foot. The opposition know what he is going to do, he can't get to the bi-line and get crosses in either. We need a NEW left back!

Qbert72

Post by Qbert72 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:11 pm

To be fair when he played there at the start of last season and Diallo was at RB, we had the best defensive stats of the year.

So I would trust him if we had a new Right Back.

Hacaman

Post by Hacaman » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:14 pm

Qbert72 wrote:To be fair when he played there at the start of last season and Diallo was at RB, we had the best defensive stats of the year.

So I would trust him if we had a new Right Back.
I agree but, why move him out of his best postion to accomodate someone else, a new left back with Richards as back up is needed

if Fabian had played RB in the 1st play off game it might have been a different story

Qbert72

Post by Qbert72 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:20 pm

A new Left Back is the ideal but we only seem to get to look at CD or RB players.

As for waste of space Richards then its Midfield or nothing as he never will cut it as a defender.

azbedwell

Post by azbedwell » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:04 pm

Wilnis can at least cut it better than Richards. Would I prefer a new left back? Sure but anything that gets Richards out of the defense is a good choice.

Paul30

Post by Paul30 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:45 pm

To be honest there can only be 1 in 10 players at best that can do a job at left back so it must be tough to find a good un :roll: simply because being left sided by nature is such a minority and most of the better left sided fella's have been snapped up.

What about 3 centre backs with 5 in mid field, getting westlake to cover the wings?? He's young enough to cover plenty of ground.

Paul

Luke

Post by Luke » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:46 pm

Wilnis IMO is over the hill. Only reason i would play him is too keep Richards out of the team at left back, Richards would be a very good Left midfeilder or even maybe battling Centre mid

Jonno

Post by Jonno » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:17 pm

Wilnis is ok at left back, i dont really care who we play there aslong as its not Matt Richards

Bluebird

Post by Bluebird » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:50 pm

Deadman wrote:Wilnis is ok at left back, i dont really care who we play there aslong as its not Matt Richards
Totally agree, how can a footballer who can't tackle be a full back???

ShannockSid

Post by ShannockSid » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:51 pm

I don’t think we’ve seen the best from any left back at Ipswich, since we signed Currie.

It’s his lack of defensive attributes that leave our left back (whoever that might be) hopelessly outnumbered and under pressure.

I’d love to have seen Unsworth there, as a season long loan, but appreciate finances won’t allow. So until we see a better player, I’d prefer Wilnis.