A disgrace...or not?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Kheffan

Post by Kheffan » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:26 am

toby wrote:I have to say that as another supporter who wasn't there tonight I definately see tonight as an opportunity wasted.

We were drawn at home to a fairly poor lower division team, this was a great opportunity to progress to the next round even whilst playing a fairly patched up side...now if Yeovil played their socks off fair enough but if as I suspect Town took it easy and didn't put their heart into it then I think that's pretty disgusting.

The couple of hundred thousand that we could make from a cup run would make a huge difference to our potential transfer kitty, I'm not saying that we should've risked key players tonight but it does seem strange to me that our supposedly great youth and reserve players weren't able to beat a poor Yeovil team.

As people have said if we win on saturday then all this will be forgotten, this doesn't however detract from the fact that the club is taking the p*ss out of paying fans for the cup competitions.
PRECISELY
as i said in the England losing to Denmark thread PROFESSIONALISM .
i have mixed feelings on this defeat but regardless of the competition it HURTS.and the club , players etc should not forget at ANY TIME anything less than professional is simply not good enough for the paying fans.

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:59 am

Again I was not at the game and can only go on reports but i was deeply disappointed with the defeat.A team at the bottom of the lower league should have been beaten so I agree with paul b and what toby said.I dont think for one minute that we would have gone on to win the cup but we could have at least progressed to the next round and maybe drawn a "big team" and if not maybe another smallish team to progress even futher who knows.Deeply disappointed am I. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

:wink:

essexgirl

Post by essexgirl » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:37 am

Right from somebody who was there. Yep agree the game was crap,but not a disgrace. Bloody hell give these kids a chance. They haven't really had time to gell in competitive matches. They tried their best and it didnt work out so back to the drawing board that's what this season is all going to be about. It was a kid who made the a great tackle to try and stop the 2nd goal and if FB had kept up with the play then he could have helped aiden and lewis out. But of course the old timer can't keep up with them.
Although we lost I still enjoyed seeing the kids try something different and does anybody really think that we would go far with such a young squad. Come off it Norwich only managed to beat MK Dons in a last minute winner in extra time ( and that looked like a bloody lucky goal on the tv) and they have players who have played in the big leagues. Joe is trying to sort it out but it will take time and hopefully things will be better on Sat.

Before you say Sid it was because JM didnt play, beleive me in the first half he would have had to stay on one spot because with the speed of the two wingers he would have never survived with the pace. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Foxy Lady

Post by Foxy Lady » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:40 am

Well lets hope we get a big team in next seasons 1st round.

Im disappionted we went out but on the whole Yeovil deserved to win,we left their player unmarked to score the 1st goal,and hes the same size as Mini Mac,and there 2nd goal again we were left wanting,Aiden tried to hold him up and nearly suceeded,but their player done well to keep the ball and pass to the Yeovil player who had come up to help.

Im afriad our injuries showed us last night how really vunrable we are and I can't see Parkin being ready for saturday either,possibly monday maybe.

No game is garenteed in football so those who went last night knew this but still paid their money to go.

So when the FA Cup comes how many of us will go? I will ,hardly nothing will keep me away from a club I love.

So onwards and upwards and 3 points on saturday. :D

toby

Post by toby » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:19 am

Everyone keeps saying that our squad is paper thin and that we are obviously concentrating on the league but surely the same is true of Yeovil?

I can't imagine that they have a bigger or more talented squad than us and surely they would want to concentrate on staying in League 1?

I think it just goes to show that they wanted it more and good luck to them, I hope they do what Doncaster did last year and draw one of the big boys and have a lucrative cup run.

ippers

Post by ippers » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:06 pm

Toby, Yeovil may well be bottom of league1 after 4 games, but they are a decent side and will be challaenging for the play offs at the end of the season, similar to what Plymouth done. Its all well and good saying paying fans deserve better, but the team didn't lose on purpose and Royle made it very clear he was gonna play some youngsters. On that logic everytime we lose a game it could be called a 'disgrace' nd we could all demand a refund! :lol:

Mork

Post by Mork » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:12 pm

Good points ippers, but I still think it was a disgrace - not neccessarily the result (though that hurts), but the performance. Particuarly after such a good performance on Saturday, that was a half-hearted, dis-interested performance, lacking in skill/committment and organisation, and we got what we deserved - and that's what is a disgrace.

toby

Post by toby » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:15 pm

ippers wrote:Toby, Yeovil may well be bottom of league1 after 4 games, but they are a decent side and will be challaenging for the play offs at the end of the season, similar to what Plymouth done. Its all well and good saying paying fans deserve better, but the team didn't lose on purpose and Royle made it very clear he was gonna play some youngsters. On that logic everytime we lose a game it could be called a 'disgrace' nd we could all demand a refund! :lol:
Too right!

:lol:

I realise that they didn't lose "on purpose" and if this was a one-off then it'd be a different matter but the trouble is that I see this as part of an unpleasant trend where the cups (especially the League cup) are just seen as glorified friendly/exhibition matches that don't matter.

Jonno

Post by Jonno » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:41 pm

I thought we looked terrible last nite, the whole atmosphere last nite and everything about the game was astho it was a pre season friendly, Naylor tried his hardest but if anything he tried to hard, the rest of the team looked VERY poor.

I cant understand y Joe hasnt sent the Invisible Juan back, he is absolutly sh*te

Rach

Post by Rach » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:44 pm

Paul,

In the end, promotion is what this club is playing for, Joe, Sheepshanks and the others have said that all along, and I think the majority of fans would say that theyd prefer promotion to winning the cup. My view is that if we win then great, but if we don't then it doesn't matter. Yes we could get a big tie and get more money, but we could also lose 6 players to season-long injuries, so there are positive and negatives if we were to progress.

You can question other people's desire if they dont feel it to be a 'disgrace' that we lost but they can equally question yours for not going to the game, and for being glad that you didn't "waste" your money. Yes the result was disappointing, but it may turn out to be a good thing that we didn't progress....we'll just have to wait and see.

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:58 pm

Rach wrote:Paul,

In the end, promotion is what this club is playing for, Joe, Sheepshanks and the others have said that all along, and I think the majority of fans would say that theyd prefer promotion to winning the cup. My view is that if we win then great, but if we don't then it doesn't matter. Yes we could get a big tie and get more money, but we could also lose 6 players to season-long injuries, so there are positive and negatives if we were to progress.

You can question other people's desire if they dont feel it to be a 'disgrace' that we lost but they can equally question yours for not going to the game, and for being glad that you didn't "waste" your money. Yes the result was disappointing, but it may turn out to be a good thing that we didn't progress....we'll just have to wait and see.

Again good points but like what was said before Yeovil also have a thin squad and will love to consolidate in the league they have just moved up into, and yet their commitment was better and they reaped the rewards.Ipswich will NEVER in a million years win another cup with this attitude ,and the days of making do with a good glory cuprun are just a distant memoryand will be for the forseeable future.IF/when we go up will the excuse be ...oh we want to stay in the prem so we cant be bothered/risking injuries etc and thats why premiership Ipswich lost at home to accrington stanley? :(

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:05 pm

Rach wrote:Paul,

Hi Rach,

Yes, I understand what your saying and that the club views promotion as being more important. Unfortunately I think promotion is an unrealistic target this season, hopefully I will be wrong though. I do understand the risk of injuries, etc, but this is the same for any league game. IMO a cup match should be treated as seriously as a league game.

I don't think for one minute that we would win the cup, but for the fans a decent cup run with a possible tie against Premiership opposition and the chance of making a bit of extra money would be lovely wouldn't it surely? Maybe I am getting old fashioned with my views of having a cup run. :?

What happened at Doncaster last season made my mind up never to attend a cup match which Ipswich Town play in whilst under Joe Royle's management. The club's attitude to cup competition stinks nowadays.

It may be a good thing that we went out last night, who knows at the moment. But regardless I don't feel it as a good thing. If (and I know its "if"!) we could have made progress then we could maybe have got some more funds for a transfer target. We'll never know now.

P.S. I have calmed down a bit now people...until the F.A. Cup 3rd Round. ;)

inhuman88

Post by inhuman88 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:36 pm

A good thing...we can concentrate on the league and won't pick up injuries voters
voters:

face it, it is a f ucking disgrace

lunchbox

Post by lunchbox » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:10 pm

inhuman88 wrote:
A good thing...we can concentrate on the league and won't pick up injuries voters
voters:

face it, it is a f ucking disgrace
what an excellent constructive quote from inhuman!

ffs if you can't handle the heat get out of the kitchen. :wink:

inhuman88

Post by inhuman88 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:56 pm

at which part isnt it a disgrace ?

If we would lost from a team who would be 2 leagues lower it would be a f ucking disgrace too

we won 2 or 3 weeks ago from a club who were 2 leagues lower with only 1-0, the goal scored in minut 89, even that was a disgrace imo

ShannockSid

Post by ShannockSid » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:14 pm

inhuman88 wrote:at which part isnt it a disgrace ?

If we would lost from a team who would be 2 leagues lower it would be a f ucking disgrace too

we won 2 or 3 weeks ago from a club who were 2 leagues lower with only 1-0, the goal scored in minut 89, even that was a disgrace imo
So what would you do to make things less disgraceful, oh wise one?

Any moron can come on here and slag things off. I always welcome other peoples opinions, but let try for some constructive criticism, please.

inhuman88

Post by inhuman88 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:17 pm

Well you pay much for a match then you get a disgrace performance like that, aren't your allowed to moan at the lads then :shock: they are getting so much money cause of they are a proffesional football player and then they even can't win, with all the respect, from Yeovil :roll:

toby

Post by toby » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:29 pm

inhuman88 wrote:Well you pay much for a match then you get a disgrace performance like that, aren't your allowed to moan at the lads then :shock: they are getting so much money cause of they are a proffesional football player and then they even can't win, with all the respect, from Yeovil :roll:
Whilst I don't necessarily disagree that last night's result was very disappointing, it is a fact of life that for every team that wins a match there is a team that loses (no matter how much the players are paid!).

FATBOY

Post by FATBOY » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:39 pm

i think toby and rodney err i mean shannock sid???? should stop looking at things thru rose tinted glasses! one thing ive noticed with them 2 is if anyone says something bad about ipswich they always go on the defensive of the club! people are allowed there opinions of what is happening at PR. and i for one was not happy with the result last night!

toby

Post by toby » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:44 pm

FATBOY wrote:i think toby and rodney err i mean shannock sid???? should stop looking at things thru rose tinted glasses! one thing ive noticed with them 2 is if anyone says something bad about ipswich they always go on the defensive of the club! people are allowed there opinions of what is happening at PR. and i for one was not happy with the result last night!
Perhaps if you read this thread you'd have noticed that me and "Rodney" are pretty much on opposite sides of the opinion spectrum over last nights performance (or lack of it!).

I'm very happy to read everyone's opinions so long as they are thoughtfully put across and contain intelligent comments, however people just posting "last night was a f**king disgrace, pull your finger out Royle", or similar, contribute nothing of any note to the discussion.

ippers

Post by ippers » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:45 pm

Perhaps Yeovil were simply the better team, you cant just praise them one minute and say were gonna get promoted after beating Shef Wed then after losing to Yeovil in a worthless cup start slating them, the leagu is far more important simple as that, by all means moan if we play poorly and lose to Millwall :lol:

ShannockSid

Post by ShannockSid » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:00 pm

toby wrote:
Perhaps if you read this thread you'd have noticed that me and "Rodney" are pretty much on opposite sides of the opinion spectrum over last nights performance (or lack of it!).

I'm very happy to read everyone's opinions so long as they are thoughtfully put across and contain intelligent comments, however people just posting "last night was a f**king disgrace, pull your finger out Royle", or similar, contribute nothing of any note to the discussion.
Nice one, Del boy!

Hacaman

Post by Hacaman » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:04 am

ippers wrote:Perhaps Yeovil were simply the better team, you cant just praise them one minute and say were gonna get promoted after beating Shef Wed then after losing to Yeovil in a worthless cup start slating them, the leagu is far more important simple as that, by all means moan if we play poorly and lose to Millwall :lol:
I agree I don't think the result was a 'Disgrace', an obvious disappointment, but the league is our bread and butter

ShannockSid

Post by ShannockSid » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:08 am

Paul B wrote:
Glad to hear you’ve calmed down now, Paul, we all have to think of the old blood pressure sometime. Let me run this thought by you, and I welcome your (or anyone else’s) comments in response.........

Cast your mind back to 2001 and our second year in the Premier. We qualified for the EUFA Cup and played the first round against that Russian lot.... beat them. Then the Swedes.... beat them.

Then we got a glamour draw against Inter Milan, and all eyes were on us. Everyone connected to the club were focussed on this match in the 3rd round of the EUFA Cup. We won the home game, but we all know what happened and got stuffed out in Milan, so that was that.

By this time it was mid December, and we then suddenly remembered we were in the Premiership league.... Played 17, Points 9. Rock bottom and 10 points from safety!

I put it to you, those 3 EUFA matches and the preoccupation of that competition cost us £millions, though losing our Premier status. Now tell me that cup run did the club a favour?

Hacaman

Post by Hacaman » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:10 am

ShannockSid wrote:
Paul B wrote:
Glad to hear you’ve calmed down now, Paul, we all have to think of the old blood pressure sometime. Let me run this thought by you, and I welcome your (or anyone else’s) comments in response.........

Cast your mind back to 2001 and our second year in the Premier. We qualified for the EUFA Cup and played the first round against that Russian lot.... beat them. Then the Swedes.... beat them.

Then we got a glamour draw against Inter Milan, and all eyes were on us. Everyone connected to the club were focussed on this match in the 3rd round of the EUFA Cup. We won the home game, but we all know what happened and got stuffed out in Milan, so that was that.

By this time it was mid December, and we then suddenly remembered we were in the Premiership league.... Played 17, Points 9. Rock bottom and 10 points from safety!

I put it to you, those 3 EUFA matches and the preoccupation of that competition cost us £millions, though losing our Premier status. Now tell me that cup run did the club a favour?
that's one thing I've always wondered Sid, how much actual profit did we make from being in Europe?

ShannockSid

Post by ShannockSid » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:24 am

Hacaman wrote:
that's one thing I've always wondered Sid, how much actual profit did we make from being in Europe?
I’m guessing here, but I wouldn’t think we made very much, given the poor attendances at all 6 matches. There were only 25,000 at the game in Milan, and that was the highest of the lot.

We would have got some money for the TV coverage, especially the Milan home game, but that wouldn’t have been very much. Any money we did make from those games is insignificant compared with the loss incurred of relegation from the Premiership.

toby

Post by toby » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:52 am

Don't forget that the prospect of UEFA cup football allowed us to bring in players of the quality of Finidi George and Matteo Sereni...

Erm...yeah thinking about it perhaps it wasn't such a good thing. :wink: :lol:

Still in all honesty I never thought that I'd get the chance to see Town in Europe and so for that fact alone I wouldn't have swopped that cup run for any number of seasons of Premiership midtable mediocrity.

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:08 pm

ShannockSid wrote:
Paul B wrote:

Whilst the UEFA Cup undoubtedly helped to cost us £millions, it was a memorable experience for the fans.

A couple of years before that, no ITFC fan would have dreamed of getting into Europe again, let alone playing the likes of Inter Milan (and beating them at Portman Road).

Therefore, whilst the cup run may not have helped our Premiership survival bid, it put ITFC back on the European map once again and was a truly memorable experience for the fans...and may prove to be a once in a lifetime experience for some of us youngsters!

However, you cannot solely blame the UEFA Cup run for subsequent relegation 5 months later. There were many other factors involved.

Reetpetite

Post by Reetpetite » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:23 pm

Bluesusie wrote:
sirbobby wrote:Takes the p*ss..... We should of beaten Yeovil at home. What kind of tactics did Royle have in place.

I don't know but I bet there are 11,000 people ( some who have paid £15 each for a ticket) very annoyed at the moment.
I was pretty pi**ed off with the performance and I only paid £8!!! Quite an embarrassment to a lot of loyal ITFC fans. You could tell that by the amount of people who left before the game was over. I was one and I can honestly say, with hand on heart, I've NEVER left an Ipswich Town match before the final whistle in my life until last Tuesday night. It seemed to me they were told to go out and LOSE. No team can play THAT badly without trying very hard to.