A disgrace...or not?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Paul B

A disgrace...or not?

Post by Paul B » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:07 pm

Just wondering what everyone's views were on tonights embarrassment?

SashaBlue

Re: A disgrace...or not?

Post by SashaBlue » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:07 pm

Paul B wrote:Just wondering what everyone's views were on tonights embarrassment?
absolutely disgusting

Susie

Post by Susie » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:11 pm

We weren't at the game so it is hard to comment but we should have won against Yeovil. That means no more income for the Carling Cup. Perhaps we are concentrating on the FA Cup. :roll:

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:11 pm

Appalling, pathetic, dispicable...and I didn't even go!

This was why I didn't waste my money tonight...I know what Royle's attitude is like to cup competitions, and it stinks.

laurens

Post by laurens » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:12 pm

Voted for the 2nd option, what a disgrace ... :roll:

sirbobby

Post by sirbobby » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:15 pm

Takes the p*ss..... We should of beaten Yeovil at home. What kind of tactics did Royle have in place.

ShannockSid

Post by ShannockSid » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:18 pm

sirbobby wrote:Takes the p*ss..... We should of beaten Yeovil at home. What kind of tactics did Royle have in place.
Sorry to differ, but I’m glad we’re out of it...... 1st option.

The remote chance of making £200,000 from a tie against one on the ‘big boys’ does not compare with the chance of making £40 million for promotion to the Premiership.

Susie

Post by Susie » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:19 pm

sirbobby wrote:Takes the p*ss..... We should of beaten Yeovil at home. What kind of tactics did Royle have in place.

I don't know but I bet there are 11,000 people ( some who have paid £15 each for a ticket) very annoyed at the moment.

Luke

Post by Luke » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:20 pm

Unsworth for manager ?

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:20 pm

ShannockSid wrote:

The remote chance of making £200,000 from a tie against one on the ‘big boys’ does not compare with the chance of making £40 million for promotion to the Premiership.
But with our squad this year, promotion is very unlikely, and a unrealistic target IMO. We should be making the most of a cup run.

SashaBlue

Post by SashaBlue » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:20 pm

Bluesusie wrote:

I don't know but I bet there are 11,000 people ( some who have paid £15 each for a ticket) very annoyed at the moment.
they probably feel exactly how i felt after that cup game against Man city, when i wrote and complained :)

ShannockSid

Post by ShannockSid » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:22 pm

Paul B wrote:
But with our squad this year, promotion is very unlikely, and a unrealistic target IMO. We should be making the most of a cup run.
Isn't that exactly what we were saying at the start of last season?

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:23 pm

ShannockSid wrote:
Paul B wrote:
Isn't that exactly what we were saying at the start of last season?
I don't know, but even you will admit surely that the squad this year is a lot weaker than this time last year, hence the chances of promotion have to be smaller.

Susie

Post by Susie » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:30 pm

ShannockSid wrote:

Are you saying that just because Joe played an inferior team that we now have a chance of promotion? We should always play to win, and that means playing the best team available.

squiz18

Post by squiz18 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:36 pm

Bluesusie wrote:
ShannockSid wrote:

Are you saying that just because Joe played an inferior team that we now have a chance of promotion? We should always play to win, and that means playing the best team available.
yeah but if he played our best team then people would be calling for the Youngsters to be getting a game. The guy cant win !!

I wasnt at tonights match due to work. I came back and saw the score on ceefax and wasnt really bothered at all. i know its been said but the league is the most important thing. If we pick up any more injuries then things really will be at crisis point.

Sure i would have been more fed up if i had paid 15 quid to get in but in the scale of things this is a nothing result.
Last edited by squiz18 on Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:40 pm

squiz18 wrote:
Bluesusie wrote:
ShannockSid wrote: Sorry to differ, but I’m glad we’re out of it...... 1st option.

yeah but if he played our best team then people would be calling for the Youngsters to be getting a game. The guy cant win !!

I wasnt at tonights match due to work. I came back and saw the score on ceefax and wasnt really bothered at all. i know its been said but the league is the most important thing. If we pick up any more injuries then things really will be at crisis point.
So you wouldn't want to see Ipswich in a cup tie against someone like Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester United?

Surely every Town fan would want Ipswich to have won tonight? A cup tie against one of them would probably bring in enough money to pay for a loan signing during the season.

ShannockSid

Post by ShannockSid » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:45 pm

Paul B wrote:
I don't know, but even you will admit surely that the squad this year is a lot weaker than this time last year, hence the chances of promotion have to be smaller.
I’m not sure about that, Paul. The numbers were very sparse at the start of last season too, that’s why we had to bring in star names like Tony Dinning and Jamie Scowcroft .

Indeed, we also tried to give Shefki away on two occasions early last season. That just shows what Joe thought of him at that stage.

squiz18

Post by squiz18 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:47 pm

Paul B wrote:
squiz18 wrote:
Bluesusie wrote: Are you saying that just because Joe played an inferior team that we now have a chance of promotion? We should always play to win, and that means playing the best team available.

So you wouldn't want to see Ipswich in a cup tie against someone like Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester United?

Surely every Town fan would want Ipswich to have won tonight? A cup tie against one of them would probably bring in enough money to pay for a loan signing during the season.
Sure a tie against those would be great but the chances of getting them are very slim and we'd most probably lose to their reserve team anyway. Hardly a money spiner.

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:47 pm

ShannockSid wrote:
Paul B wrote:
I’m not sure about that, Paul. The numbers were very sparse at the start of last season too, that’s why we had to bring in star names like Tony Dinning and Jamie Scowcroft .

Indeed, we also tried to give Shefki away on two occasions early last season. That just shows what Joe thought of him at that stage.
So you think our squad at the moment is capable of a third place finish again Sid?.

squiz18

Post by squiz18 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:49 pm

Paul B wrote:
ShannockSid wrote:
Paul B wrote:

So you think our squad at the moment is capable of a third place finish again Sid?.
did you think it was last season ?

Every Pre season since relegation we have said " our squad is weaker " and every season since relegation we have improved on the previous seasons finish.

Lewis

Post by Lewis » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:49 pm

I've just got back Paul, and I can't say it was a disgrace. We put out some players who don't normally get a game and it was good to see those few get a game to see what they're all about.

Yeovil to their credit played and battled well and probably deserved their win. I dont see it as dispicable though, we tried and experimented and failed. How else are we meant to see these different players in a competitive game?!

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:50 pm

squiz18 wrote:
Paul B wrote:

Sure a tie against those would be great but the chances of getting them are very slim and we'd most probably lose to their reserve team anyway. Hardly a money spiner.
Thats all open to debate...and something we will never know because of the disgraceful attitude our club has for this competition.

I am sure if we drew Chelsea, it would be a money spinner as even their reserves are internationals. I find it hard to believe anyone can just brush tonight off when it has to be one of the most embarassing results in our history...no disrespect to Yeovil.

budgiebasher

Post by budgiebasher » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:51 pm

Paul B wrote:
squiz18 wrote:
Bluesusie wrote: Are you saying that just because Joe played an inferior team that we now have a chance of promotion? We should always play to win, and that means playing the best team available.
All of the big sides will put out 2nd maybe even 3rd string sides, i don't believe it would be as big a money spinner as it would be if it was in the FA cup. I would've liked us to win tonight, but i'm not too disappointed. It allows us to concentrate on the league which is the most important thing to us at the moment.

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:52 pm

Lewis wrote:I've just got back Paul, and I can't say it was a disgrace. We put out some players who don't normally get a game and it was good to see those few get a game to see what they're all about.

Yeovil to their credit played and battled well and probably deserved their win. I dont see it as dispicable though, we tried and experimented and failed. How else are we meant to see these different players in a competitive game?!
Thats what reserve matches have always been for I believe?

So you're saying its ok that we have lost as long as we experimented? :roll:

ShannockSid

Post by ShannockSid » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:52 pm

Paul B wrote:

If I want to see Ipswich play Arsenal or Chelsea, Paul, I’ll go along to watch the reserve game against them. I would see the same opposition as I would in the Carling Cup.

Yes, I did want Ipswich to win, of course I did. But I’m not bitterly disappointed by being out of the competition.

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:55 pm

ShannockSid wrote:
Paul B wrote:

If I want to see Ipswich play Arsenal or Chelsea, Paul, I’ll go along to watch the reserve game against them. I would see the same opposition as I would in the Carling Cup.

Yes, I did want Ipswich to win, of course I did. But I’m not bitterly disappointed by being out of the competition.
Sorry Sid, but thats one of the daftest things I have heard in a long time! :lol:

Lewis

Post by Lewis » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:55 pm

Paul B wrote:
Lewis wrote:I've just got back Paul, and I can't say it was a disgrace. We put out some players who don't normally get a game and it was good to see those few get a game to see what they're all about.

Reserve matches? What sort of a competitive match is that? Aidan Collins was quoted saying how he was looking forward to playing in a competitive match. That coming from a regular in the Reserve team, go figure Paul!

I'm NOT saying it's okay we've lost I'm just saying we should look at the positives and maybe even credit our opponents Yeovil who played and defended very well. Oh but obviously you can't do that as you didn't go so I don't think you're qualified to make rash statements on the back of just looking at the result on paper.

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:57 pm

Lewis wrote:
Paul B wrote:

Reserve matches? What sort of a competitive match is that? Aidan Collins was quoted saying how he was looking forward to playing in a competitive match. That coming from a regular in the Reserve team, go figure Paul!

I'm NOT saying it's okay we've lost I'm just saying we should look at the positives and maybe even credit our opponents Yeovil who played and defended very well. Oh but obviously you can't do that as you didn't go so I don't think you're qualified to make rash statements on the back of just looking at the result on paper.
How do you think these players got on years ago then when reserve teams weren't put out for Cup matches??

I know I didn't go, but come on, a 2-0 home defeat to Yeovil is a disgrace, however well they may have played!

ShannockSid

Post by ShannockSid » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:59 pm

Paul B wrote:
Sorry Sid, but thats one of the daftest things I have heard in a long time! :lol:
I am merely trying to maintain the standard of some of my previous posts, Paul.

ippers

Post by ippers » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:00 pm

Yes im sure we set out tonight with no intention of winning :roll: Or perhaps we were beaten by a superior team on the night we have no divine right to win and Yeovil are no mugs, the league is what matters not the carling cup so stop complaining!