A disgrace...or not?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:50 pm

Lewis wrote:
Paul B wrote:Top 6 in August, big deal. :roll: What about the 2nd round of the cup. Oh no, that doesn't matter. Forget that. Why enter the cup competitions at all. :roll:

Because if I keep on arguing with an admin, etc, I'll just get banned...like others have been before. :roll:
Top 6 in August big deal? I think you'll find we hit the top 6 in August last season and then didnt drop out for the rest of the campaign. I tell you why it's a big deal, 3 pts in the league or a place in the 2nd round in the carling two-bob cup with a 15% chance of playing a top flight team?

Dont know what you're on about with the banning paul because I have no plans of doing such thing however angry you've made me...
Oh, and look, here we are a year later still in the Championship. Whereas if we had actually put some effort in against Doncaster and got through to a tie against Chelsea, that could have provided the funds for another loan signing which could have been the difference in us getting promoted or not.

Well thats a surprise...an admin who's not power mad. :roll:

ippers

Post by ippers » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:52 pm

All IFS and BUTS. What if Currie scored against Leeds? what if we didn't go into administration? its happened and thats the end of it, ill be far more disappointed if we lose 2 Millwall. How this ended up in a full scale arguement is beyond me :lol:

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:54 pm

ippers wrote:All IFS and BUTS. What if Currie scored against Leeds? what if we didn't go into administration? its happened and thats the end of it, ill be far more disappointed if we lose 2 Millwall. How this ended up in a full scale arguement is beyond me :lol:
Bacause I care passionately about ITFC, and results like tonight hurt big time...especially when you have all your mates laughing at your team too.

Luke

Post by Luke » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:54 pm

Im loving this thread :lol:
Theres a arguement that has NOTHING! to do with me for once :lol:
8) *sits back and relaxes*

Lewis

Post by Lewis » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:55 pm

Paul B wrote:
Lewis wrote:
Paul B wrote:Top 6 in August, big deal. :roll: What about the 2nd round of the cup. Oh no, that doesn't matter. Forget that. Why enter the cup competitions at all. :roll:

Because if I keep on arguing with an admin, etc, I'll just get banned...like others have been before. :roll:
Top 6 in August big deal? I think you'll find we hit the top 6 in August last season and then didnt drop out for the rest of the campaign. I tell you why it's a big deal, 3 pts in the league or a place in the 2nd round in the carling two-bob cup with a 15% chance of playing a top flight team?

Dont know what you're on about with the banning paul because I have no plans of doing such thing however angry you've made me...
Oh, and look, here we are a year later still in the Championship. Whereas if we had actually put some effort in against Doncaster and got through to a tie against Chelsea, that could have provided the funds for another loan signing which could have been the difference in us getting promoted or not.

Another David Unsworth or James Scowcroft?! Do me a favour... thanks but no thanks!

If we had beaten Doncaster, who was to say we would have played Chelsea anyway? Why not another lower league team like Scunthorpe or something?

Your logic confuses me Paul. Defeat to Doncaster cost us our place in the Premiership. So I guess we might as well rip up our season tickets already if last season is anything to go by!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:55 pm

Luke wrote:Im loving this thread :lol:
Thats because I borrowed your one braincell! :wink: :lol:

SashaBlue

Post by SashaBlue » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:55 pm

Paul B wrote:
ippers wrote:All IFS and BUTS. What if Currie scored against Leeds? what if we didn't go into administration? its happened and thats the end of it, ill be far more disappointed if we lose 2 Millwall. How this ended up in a full scale arguement is beyond me :lol:
Bacause I care passionately about ITFC, and results like tonight hurt big time...especially when you have all your mates laughing at your team too.
let me guess, your mates are all glory hunting Chelski, Arsenal and Manure followers, just ignore them

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:56 pm

SashaBlue wrote:
Paul B wrote:
let me guess, your mates are all glory hunting Chelski, Arsenal and Manure followers, just ignore them
Along with Derby, Sunderland, Palace, West Ham, Liverpool and Boston.

Lewis

Post by Lewis » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:57 pm

http://www.itfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Ne ... 50,00.html

Paul, can I just point you in the direction of this interview with Jason De Vos. Read it and perhaps you'll understand that some nights teams do have off days and that the opposition who are supposedly weaker can have a good performance!
Last edited by Lewis on Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luke

Post by Luke » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:58 pm

Paul B wrote:
Im not greedy Paul...
Its ours :lol: :lol:

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:58 pm

Lewis wrote:
Paul B wrote:
Lewis wrote: Top 6 in August big deal? I think you'll find we hit the top 6 in August last season and then didnt drop out for the rest of the campaign. I tell you why it's a big deal, 3 pts in the league or a place in the 2nd round in the carling two-bob cup with a 15% chance of playing a top flight team?

Another David Unsworth or James Scowcroft?! Do me a favour... thanks but no thanks!

If we had beaten Doncaster, who was to say we would have played Chelsea anyway? Why not another lower league team like Scunthorpe or something?

Your logic confuses me Paul. Defeat to Doncaster cost us our place in the Premiership. So I guess we might as well rip up our season tickets already if last season is anything to go by!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
No, I am not saying that it cost us our place in the Premiership. I am trying to demonstrate how the cup competitions should be taken seriously as they can have a knock on effect on how the overall season pans out, believe it or not.

Obviously you can't grasp that. :roll:

SashaBlue

Post by SashaBlue » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:59 pm

Paul B wrote:
SashaBlue wrote:
Paul B wrote: Bacause I care passionately about ITFC, and results like tonight hurt big time...especially when you have all your mates laughing at your team too.
Along with Derby, Sunderland, Palace, West Ham, Liverpool and Boston.
oh well, just tell the Scumberland fans to look at the league table, Wet Spam have just had a lucky start and will fall down to earth soon, Liverpool are one season wonders, Palace = Andy Johnson and nothing more, Derby what have they achieved in the last 20 years?, and Boston who are they?
Last edited by SashaBlue on Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:02 am

Lewis wrote:http://www.itfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Ne ... 50,00.html

Paul, can I just point you in the direction of this interview with Jason De Vos. Read it and perhaps you'll understand that some nights teams do have off days and that the opposition who are supposedly weaker can have a good performance!
And read the interviews with Joe Royle where he clearly states the cup competitions are not his priority...and this is clearly shown by the results we have had in the cup over the last few years. Its not down to having off nights...its down to Royle's stinking attitude and that he doesn't even want to have to play cup matches.

Lewis

Post by Lewis » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:02 am

Paul B wrote:
Lewis wrote:
Paul B wrote: Oh, and look, here we are a year later still in the Championship. Whereas if we had actually put some effort in against Doncaster and got through to a tie against Chelsea, that could have provided the funds for another loan signing which could have been the difference in us getting promoted or not.

No, I am not saying that it cost us our place in the Premiership. I am trying to demonstrate how the cup competitions should be taken seriously as they can have a knock on effect on how the overall season pans out, believe it or not.

I can't grasp it no... especially when Sunderland got knocked out by Crewe last season in the 2nd round and were the eventual winners of the league. Clearly had a negative effect on their overall season hey?! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:02 am

Luke wrote:
Paul B wrote:
Im not greedy Paul...
Its ours :lol: :lol:
Great! :lol:

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:04 am

Lewis wrote:
Paul B wrote:
Lewis wrote: Another David Unsworth or James Scowcroft?! Do me a favour... thanks but no thanks!

I can't grasp it no... especially when Sunderland got knocked out by Crewe last season in the 2nd round and were the eventual winners of the league. Clearly had a negative effect on their overall season hey?! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Like talking to a brick wall here. :roll: At least you admit you can't grasp it.

I said they "can" have a knock on effect. Not that they definitely "do".

ippers

Post by ippers » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:05 am

yeah Royle admits the league is his priority.....so what? I know lets get to the 5th round of the Carling cup and finish mid table in the league, or get knocked out in the first round and concentrate on promotion I know what I would prefer, we cant afford injuries in the micky mouse cup simple as that......

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:07 am

ippers wrote:yeah Royle admits the league is his priority.....so what? I know lets get to the 5th round of the Carling cup and finish mid table in the league, or get knocked out in the first round and concentrate on promotion I know what I would prefer, we cant afford injuries in the micky mouse cup simple as that......
I know we can't afford injuries, but they happen on the training ground as well, as shown last week. Thats a risk of football.

To me, a £250k cup run has to be more beneficial to our season than not having one at all.

SashaBlue

Post by SashaBlue » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:07 am

oh well, just tell the Scumberland fans to look at the league table, Wet Spam have just had a lucky start and will fall down to earth soon, Liverpool are one season wonders, Palace = Andy Johnson and nothing more, Derby what have they achieved in the last 20 years?, and Boston who are they?
make sure you say this to your friends, just for me

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:07 am

SashaBlue wrote:
make sure you say this to your friends, just for me
Cheers, will do! :wink:

Lewis

Post by Lewis » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:08 am

Paul B wrote:
Lewis wrote:
Paul B wrote: No, I am not saying that it cost us our place in the Premiership. I am trying to demonstrate how the cup competitions should be taken seriously as they can have a knock on effect on how the overall season pans out, believe it or not.

Like talking to a brick wall here. :roll: At least you admit you can't grasp it.

Well anything "can" happen in the course of a season Paul, that's what Football is all about. If we beat Millwall on Saturday you'll be quite happy to hop on the bandwagon, and if you do i'll be quick to remind you that being in the top 6 in August is 'not a big deal'

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:11 am

Lewis wrote:
Paul B wrote:
Lewis wrote: I can't grasp it no... especially when Sunderland got knocked out by Crewe last season in the 2nd round and were the eventual winners of the league. Clearly had a negative effect on their overall season hey?! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Well anything "can" happen in the course of a season Paul, that's what Football is all about. If we beat Millwall on Saturday you'll be quite happy to hop on the bandwagon, and if you do i'll be quick to remind you that being in the top 6 in August is 'not a big deal'
I won't be jumping on any bandwagon. If we win I'll be happy of course, but you won't see me getting excited about being in the top 6.

ippers

Post by ippers » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:15 am

All i will say is it highlighted the weakness in our squad strength and the need for a couple of decent loans before the window closes (does anyone know if clubs can loan players outside the window?)

toby

Post by toby » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:16 am

I have to say that as another supporter who wasn't there tonight I definately see tonight as an opportunity wasted.

We were drawn at home to a fairly poor lower division team, this was a great opportunity to progress to the next round even whilst playing a fairly patched up side...now if Yeovil played their socks off fair enough but if as I suspect Town took it easy and didn't put their heart into it then I think that's pretty disgusting.

The couple of hundred thousand that we could make from a cup run would make a huge difference to our potential transfer kitty, I'm not saying that we should've risked key players tonight but it does seem strange to me that our supposedly great youth and reserve players weren't able to beat a poor Yeovil team.

As people have said if we win on saturday then all this will be forgotten, this doesn't however detract from the fact that the club is taking the p*ss out of paying fans for the cup competitions.

Lewis

Post by Lewis » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:22 am

ippers wrote:All i will say is it highlighted the weakness in our squad strength and the need for a couple of decent loans before the window closes (does anyone know if clubs can loan players outside the window?)
The weakness in our squad strength is one reason why we cannot handle a long cup run. This would definitely detract attention from our promotion push and is likely to increase the chances of injuries and suspensions...

ITFC10

Post by ITFC10 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:27 am

Yeah very bad tonight, didnt go tonight, and now im bloody glad i didnt, i know it was youngsters out tonight, but i feel dissapointed of losing to Yeovil even though it is the Carling Cup. On the one good point now we are out we can concentrate on the league.

Luke

Post by Luke » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:28 am

toby wrote:I have to say that as another supporter who wasn't there tonight I definately see tonight as an opportunity wasted.

We were drawn at home to a fairly poor lower division team, this was a great opportunity to progress to the next round even whilst playing a fairly patched up side...now if Yeovil played their socks off fair enough but if as I suspect Town took it easy and didn't put their heart into it then I think that's pretty disgusting.

The couple of hundred thousand that we could make from a cup run would make a huge difference to our potential transfer kitty, I'm not saying that we should've risked key players tonight but it does seem strange to me that our supposedly great youth and reserve players weren't able to beat a poor Yeovil team.

As people have said if we win on saturday then all this will be forgotten, this doesn't however detract from the fact that the club is taking the p*ss out of paying fans for the cup competitions.
I agree Toby, But i dont perticualry want to feel the wrath of Lewis :lol: I bet he has steam coming out of his ears atm reading some of his posts :lol:

crazee

Post by crazee » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:35 am

I've just got back Paul, and I can't say it was a disgrace. We put out some players who don't normally get a game and it was good to see those few get a game to see what they're all about.

Yeovil to their credit played and battled well and probably deserved their win. I dont see it as dispicable though, we tried and experimented and failed. How else are we meant to see these different players in a competitive game?!
i would argee with that, a disgrace would be like Crewe's 5-1 defeat against lincon or QPR getting beat 3-0 by Northampton i think it was

squiz18

Post by squiz18 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:55 am

Paul B wrote:
Lewis wrote:http://www.itfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Ne ... 50,00.html

And read the interviews with Joe Royle where he clearly states the cup competitions are not his priority...and this is clearly shown by the results we have had in the cup over the last few years. Its not down to having off nights...its down to Royle's stinking attitude and that he doesn't even want to have to play cup matches.
Royle was the last English manager to win the FA cup, of course he would love another cup run but the situations are different. Premiership teams with the larger squads can afford cup runs which is why the teams with the biggest squads usually win . Ie chelsea man utd arsenal.

Royles situation here is Promotion and a cup final is great on the CV but isnt promotion. Millwall when they reached the final of the FA cup did really well, but there form at the end of the season was shocking as minds wandered to th big day out in cardiff.

Sure the cash would be handy but its gone now so lets all move on. Yeovil on the night deserved it more and thats that. They beat us the way Qpr watford and westham beat us last season, score a goal at just the wrong time for us ( ie 1st minute or 45th minute) then sit back and hit us on the counter attack. They obviously did there research and it payed off.

ATB

Post by ATB » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:44 am

what an entertaining read!!

I've never seen as many :roll: in one thread :lol: