chelsea chelsea - love them or hate them?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

James the Brains

chelsea chelsea - love them or hate them?

Post by James the Brains » Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:58 pm

teams that dominate our game for lengthy periods of time often spark hatred towards them, based mostly on jealousy, but I am interested to know if this feeling prevades for the new super-power of English football: Chelsea. They are a unique case having not gradually evolved but more been transformed overnight by the bottomless pockets of Roman Abramovich.

Personally, I think Chelsea are great. they are the kind of team you dream about as a kid. Which players would you buy if you had all the money in the world? well Chelsea are living that dream. Football for me is not just about watching your favourite team and following their eternal struggles, but also about watching great football played by the best there is. I disliked Manchester United intensely when they were at their best because of their arrogance on the pitch and because Alex Ferguson is such a boring old arse. Chelsea however are a different gravy. Their manager oozes charisma and is great for a laugh. although he is very aware of it, Morinho is also a football genius. Chelsea are a magnificent team and so long as Jose is in charge I would be very happy to see them dominate our game for half a decade or more and hopefully do us proud by winning the European Cup. long live Chelski!

Jonno

Post by Jonno » Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:27 pm

LOVE CHELSEA

HATE MAN UTD AND ARSENAL

monstermunch

Post by monstermunch » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:12 pm

How can anyone who isn't a fan of Chelsea say they love them? Granted Jose is ace, but the fact that they are a team built on the roubles of a russian billionaire (not the legacy of being one of the most well supported and well run clubs like Manchester United were) who have single handedly skewed the transfer market, grabed all the best players and contributed to the stupid inflation in football (£45 to see them play West Brom the other week, with NO concessions) kind of puts me off. Not to mention the constant, arrogant and unsportsmanlike rulebreaking. And the fact that the average Chelsea players weekly wage packet could keep any of us going in comfort for a whole year.

The fact that 8 "Ipswich Town fans" have said they "love chelsea" worries me aswell. Chelsea are one of the reasons that the heroics of 00/01 can never be repeated, the top of the Prem is a closed shop, the very best anyone else can hope for is 4th, the best a promoted club can now hope for is 17th. Is that the kind of league you want the Premiership to be? The superstar filled squads at the top and everyone else?

Basicly, Chelsea are killing football. The bubble is about to burst, fans are going to stop putting up with the nonsense, clubs will go bust, all because of the stupid hugely inflated football world that Chelsea have contributed to.

But then Lamps and Joey Cole play for them don't they? Must be alright then, eh? :roll:

Luke

Post by Luke » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:20 pm

CHELSKI CHELSKI CHELSKI CHELSKI! GUNNA MAKE IT A BLUUUUUE DAY!

ITFC10

Post by ITFC10 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:51 am

CHELSKI CHELSKI CHELSKI CHELSKI! GUNNA MAKE IT A BLUUUUUE DAY !
I totally agree, as long as Man Utd dont get there hands on the Premier League, im a happy man....Forever Chelsea :lol:

lunchbox

Post by lunchbox » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:10 am

what i think is that hating all other teams except yours is part of the fun in going to watch a game - you take the p*ss, jeer and generally mock the other fans and players. what are you gonna do when you watch chelski? cheer when they score?

James the Brains

Post by James the Brains » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:51 pm

monstermunch wrote: The fact that 8 "Ipswich Town fans" have said they "love chelsea" worries me aswell. :
Hey man I think you have taken this the wrong way. I'm no Chelsea fan. I'm Ipswich Town baby. all I am doing is putting out there the two ends of the scale - love + hate - and asking people which end of this scale they lean more towards. It's a simple question and I shouldn't worry that a few Town fans on here have confessed their admiration for the best team in England right now.

Mark18

Post by Mark18 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:59 pm

end of the day yes chelsea have spent vast amonuts of money and have gone to win the title.
but i would rather them win the league than man u or arsenal.

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:13 pm

monstermunch wrote:How can anyone who isn't a fan of Chelsea say they love them? Granted Jose is ace, but the fact that they are a team built on the roubles of a russian billionaire (not the legacy of being one of the most well supported and well run clubs like Manchester United were) who have single handedly skewed the transfer market, grabed all the best players and contributed to the stupid inflation in football (£45 to see them play West Brom the other week, with NO concessions) kind of puts me off. Not to mention the constant, arrogant and unsportsmanlike rulebreaking. And the fact that the average Chelsea players weekly wage packet could keep any of us going in comfort for a whole year.

The fact that 8 "Ipswich Town fans" have said they "love chelsea" worries me aswell. Chelsea are one of the reasons that the heroics of 00/01 can never be repeated, the top of the Prem is a closed shop, the very best anyone else can hope for is 4th, the best a promoted club can now hope for is 17th. Is that the kind of league you want the Premiership to be? The superstar filled squads at the top and everyone else?

Basicly, Chelsea are killing football. The bubble is about to burst, fans are going to stop putting up with the nonsense, clubs will go bust, all because of the stupid hugely inflated football world that Chelsea have contributed to.

But then Lamps and Joey Cole play for them don't they? Must be alright then, eh? :roll:

brilliant post and could not agree more.Right on the money.

Rach

Post by Rach » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:34 pm

Mark17 wrote:end of the day yes chelsea have spent vast amonuts of money and have gone to win the title.
but i would rather them win the league than man u or arsenal.
Completely agree....I think everyone prefers one of those 3 teams and for me its definately Chelsea.....I hope MU and Arsenal never win the Premiership again :evil: lol

monstermunch

Post by monstermunch » Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:07 pm

phily bon bon wrote:[
At least someone agrees :D. I was impassioned to write that because of the blind admiration for Chelsea displayed here. A great team? Possibly. A great club? Not even close.

James the Brains

Post by James the Brains » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:06 pm

monstermunch wrote:
phily bon bon wrote:[
At least someone agrees :D. I was impassioned to write that because of the blind admiration for Chelsea displayed here. A great team? Possibly. A great club? Not even close.
I never intended this argument to be about "the club" - I am only talking about the team of 11 players and their manager who leads them. that is what I enjoy watching and of which I speak highly. whether or not you think Chelsea's enormous spending is good for the english game is a different question entirely. and I have not asked that question, monstermunch.

essexboy21

Post by essexboy21 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:11 am

Let's not forget Chelsea were a solid top 4 team before Roman Abramovich bought into the club, but it is ruining clubs like ourselves and the fact that people seem so determined to see Man United not-win is slightly daft coz we are well on a par with them aren't we :roll: They earnt there millions tgrough the Scholes, Beckham, Giggs, Neville, Butt era however Chelsea have some sufgar daddy come in and blow all of football's 'morals' as they still were out of the window and his still loved :?

monstermunch

Post by monstermunch » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:50 am

essexboy21 wrote:Let's not forget Chelsea were a solid top 4 team before Roman Abramovich bought into the club, but it is ruining clubs like ourselves and the fact that people seem so determined to see Man United not-win is slightly daft coz we are well on a par with them aren't we :roll: They earnt there millions tgrough the Scholes, Beckham, Giggs, Neville, Butt era however Chelsea have some sufgar daddy come in and blow all of football's 'morals' as they still were out of the window and his still loved :?
You agree with what I said and you live in Kelvedon (I used to live there!) so you're alright by me :).

monstermunch

Post by monstermunch » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:54 am

And James, if it's about wether you love watching the team or not, then I'd still say no. They're hardly exciting are they? Grinding out results is hardly attractive. I prefer Arsenal in the prem, they play football the proper way. The way I would like to think could be called the "Ipswich Town way".

crazee

Post by crazee » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:55 am

like phily bon bon i agree with monster munch, if/ when roman pulls his backing from chelsea they will be up a creak with out a paddle and i cant wait for that

jono

Post by jono » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:15 am

i have to admit that i like watching them play football because sometimes its just great to watch. the only thing i dont like is that they are going to be buying the league every season from now with abramovich thier and nobody can do anything about it.

James the Brains

Post by James the Brains » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:49 pm

monstermunch wrote:And James, if it's about wether you love watching the team or not, then I'd still say no. They're hardly exciting are they? Grinding out results is hardly attractive. I prefer Arsenal in the prem, they play football the proper way. The way I would like to think could be called the "Ipswich Town way".
fair play then. Chelsea haven't quite hit the same heights that Arsenal hit in the 2002-2004 era (and I admired that team greatly too) but they're well on the way. I can't wait till Robben gets back in form, that man is crazy! and Shaun Wright-Phillips is a mentalist. speaking of nutcases, Lampard is a screw-job! although Chelsea are based more on solid defensive displays than anything else, when they turn on the style, it's like a f**king mosh-pit on the pitch - and everyone is invited!

Strike

Post by Strike » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:24 pm

Personally I could not give a crap, I found the real Chelsea fans to actully be quite a decent bunch, however I am starting to dislike the gloryhunting lot. Even the town I live in is full of Chelski glory hunters.