Magilton Out - are we all agreed?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

the-mole

Magilton Out - are we all agreed?

Post by the-mole » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:33 am

There seems to be a general trend that most of us here would rather not see Magilton playing!

Yes he has been a great servant to this club by IMO he is past his sell by date and was started to show this last season. It seems he isn't quite the pass genius he once was and I believe he is actually holding back the development of this side.

Horlock looked a good player last night playing alongside both Garven and Juan until he was unfortunately injured. Juan did more than enough IMO to warrant a starting place in the next game - alongside either of Horlock or Garven.

So where does it leave Jim. Well he has no pace at all, he isn't a defensively minded player and judging his current pace and fitness levels I don't think you could call him an attacking player either. Jim seems to have turned into a holding midfield player mainly due to age catching up with him. He cannot have the impact he normally would on games.

In terms of captaincy I have never been sure if he has been the ideal captain. He seems quick to moan and point at others even when he is at fault. In a young team to need someone to pick the players up not knock them down. As replacement I don't think De Vos is capable, perhaps it is a toss-up between Horlock, Naylor, Currie or Wilnis (if he is playing). It does seem we lack any real leadership at the moment - however if I had to choose I would plump for Naylor - guy deserves it and I think it would take his game to another level.

BY THE WAY JUST ADDED A POLL FOR THE HECK OF IT!!

Luke

Post by Luke » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:38 am

I think a complete re shap of the midfeild is needed

Westy LM
Juan CM
Garvan CM
Currie RM - Coming off for Peters if having an off day or tireing.

when everyone is fit would be my choice.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:01 am

no room for Matt Holland I see !....cos Town may still negotiate something in that area..I wouldnt put it past them ! :wink:

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:06 am

Interesting MF and I agree. Also we have got Horlock as cover/exchange for Juan or Garvan (who are both unlikely to be as consistent as we would like for a while yet) and Richards as cover for Westlake/McEverley.

Wilnis covers for all defensive positions adequately and Parkin can sit unless Forster & Proudlock lose touch.

So we have

Lewis

McEverly
Naylor
DeVos
Sito

Westlake
Garvan
Juan
Currie

Proudlock
Forster

Subs:
Supple
Wilnis
Richards
Horlock
Parkin

I am saddenned by it but this does mean bye bye Magic. However with injuries he is bound to be needed for some games so squad player.

Also means bye bye Bowditch with Mini Mac the best contender for the bench spot in case someone up front is injured.

Luke

Post by Luke » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:07 am

hallamblue wrote:no room for Matt Holland I see !....cos Town may still negotiate something in that area..I wouldnt put it past them ! :wink:
Ahhh to be an optamist...

James the Brains

Post by James the Brains » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:26 am

Naylor for captain!!!!! I don't think this is the end of Jim totally, he wasn't used last night because of the quick succession of games, but I do think his role in the team should be revised. He should give up the armband, as much as it would hurt him, and give it to Super Bam Bam Bam Bam Bam Bam. Bam. Then perhaps Jim could start a few home games from now on against teams that are weaker and he would excel against. Otherwise the bench is his new home. Our midfield needs a rethink, and Jim may have to be sacrificed.

Earl Blue

Post by Earl Blue » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:39 am

James the Brains wrote:Naylor for captain!!!!! I don't think this is the end of Jim totally, he wasn't used last night because of the quick succession of games, but I do think his role in the team should be revised. He should give up the armband, as much as it would hurt him, and give it to Super Bam Bam Bam Bam Bam Bam. Bam. Then perhaps Jim could start a few home games from now on against teams that are weaker and he would excel against. Otherwise the bench is his new home. Our midfield needs a rethink, and Jim may have to be sacrificed.

Do me a favour James.. Just list the teams that you think are weaker
than us..

I want to work out how many points we will end up with..

:wink:

James the Brains

Post by James the Brains » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:47 am

Earl Blue wrote:

than us..

I meant the teams that are weaker in midfield, so Jim might stand a chance against them. And there probably aren't many weaker midfields right now admittedly so that's why Jim's new home should be the bench. It's up to Joe to judge the right times for Jim to play, but he sould be used selectively from now on and that's my point. so there.

Earl Blue

Post by Earl Blue » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:59 am

James the Brains wrote:
Earl Blue wrote:

than us..

I meant the teams that are weaker in midfield, so Jim might stand a chance against them. And there probably aren't many weaker midfields right now admittedly so that's why Jim's new home should be the bench. It's up to Joe to judge the right times for Jim to play, but he sould be used selectively from now on and that's my point. so there.
Nan nah nah nah nah nah

I understand what you are saying mate. So the bench it is and then
we cn bring him on when we have no alternative..

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:06 pm

Lets be honest we all love Jim, he'll always be a legend in my eyes for what he did in that play-off semi against Bolton, he should have called it a day at the end of last season though.

Hacaman

Post by Hacaman » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:59 am

Earl Blue wrote:
James the Brains wrote:
Earl Blue wrote:

than us..

Nan nah nah nah nah nah

I understand what you are saying mate. So the bench it is and then
we cn bring him on when we have no alternative..
Jim has managed to change so many games coming off the bench, he just seems ineffective this season playing week in week out

We now have options in midfield, Lukes' midfield as the starting 4 with Peters, Magic, Horlock, Mini, and even Richards meaning Joe is has alternatives