Skard offered a contract

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Rach

Skard offered a contract

Post by Rach » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:49 am

twtd.co.uk wrote:Trialist Vemund Brekke Skard is set to become the club's first ever Norwegian player after being offered a contract until the end of 2006/07. TWTD first broke the news of the midfielder's trial on Tuesday of last week.

Boss Joe Royle told the club site: "Vemund has done well while he has been with us and we have offered him a contract for the rest of this season and next year as well."

Skard, currently an amateur, is out of contract with regional second division side Brumunddal now that the Norwegian season has ended. The central midfielder has been studying to be a teacher at university.

The 24-year-old was spotted by Town contact Paul Hodges who was also responsible for bringing Sito to Portman Road in the summer. Hodges had travelled to Norway to watch Oslo Øst striker or midfielder Karim Aoudia in action against Brumunddal but instead was impressed with Skard.

The central midfielder did well in Tuesday's 1-0 reserves friendly defeat to Spurs despite finding the tempo faster than he is used to and admitting to tiredness during the second half.
Sounds good to me! :D

Mork

Re: Skard offered a contract

Post by Mork » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:50 am

Rach wrote:
twtd.co.uk wrote:Trialist Vemund Brekke Skard is set to become the club's first ever Norwegian player after being offered a contract until the end of 2006/07. TWTD first broke the news of the midfielder's trial on Tuesday of last week.

Boss Joe Royle told the club site: "Vemund has done well while he has been with us and we have offered him a contract for the rest of this season and next year as well."

Skard, currently an amateur, is out of contract with regional second division side Brumunddal now that the Norwegian season has ended. The central midfielder has been studying to be a teacher at university.

The 24-year-old was spotted by Town contact Paul Hodges who was also responsible for bringing Sito to Portman Road in the summer. Hodges had travelled to Norway to watch Oslo Øst striker or midfielder Karim Aoudia in action against Brumunddal but instead was impressed with Skard.

The central midfielder did well in Tuesday's 1-0 reserves friendly defeat to Spurs despite finding the tempo faster than he is used to and admitting to tiredness during the second half.
Arguably, could be said to stink of desperation, as the guy is probably out of his league. That said, anyone with two legs has got a chance of a contract right now if they're cheap to feed, and on a free.

GavITFC

Post by GavITFC » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:51 am

you just beat me to it, but yeah sounds very good, they must have seen something they liked, and of course he's FREE!!

ITFC10

Post by ITFC10 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:58 am

Good News

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:41 pm

I just hope people are not going to expect too much from him - he's basically still an amateur - and we've all seen how hard Sam Parkin has found it , just stepping "up a level", and he's a professional !

Rach

Post by Rach » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:17 pm

hallamblue wrote:I just hope people are not going to expect too much from him - he's basically still an amateur - and we've all seen how hard Sam Parkin has found it , just stepping "up a level", and he's a professional !
Yeah, but on the other hand, Sito was playing in a low Spanish league and has made the step up to this level very comfortably.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:06 pm

Rach wrote:
hallamblue wrote:I just hope people are not going to expect too much from him - he's basically still an amateur - and we've all seen how hard Sam Parkin has found it , just stepping "up a level", and he's a professional !
Yeah, but on the other hand, Sito was playing in a low Spanish league and has made the step up to this level very comfortably.
true ! - but was Sito a "professional" playing at a lower level. IMHO there's a hug gap between playing amateur part time footie - to mixing it with the likes of Leeds, Wolves, Norwich etc...which is what any player coming into the team need to be able to do.... now ...not in twelve months time !

Dont get me wrong Im pleased we have signed him ..we need to build up the squad, but hopefully it's going to be with players that can make an impact "now". All Im saying is Town are now forced into taking even bigger gambles due to our financial plight - I hope the coaching staff have got it right , thats all !

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:09 pm

So now we're signing amateurs. Yes well, that sums ITFC up very nicely.

Foxy Lady

Post by Foxy Lady » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:03 pm

We have a wealth of talent in our academy and we sign an amatuer.........Oh the joy!!!

Well he better be good as why waste precious money on him.
Yes I know hes free.........but his wages aren't!!

jono

Post by jono » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:44 pm

your all bleddy idiots this is getting worse than twtd with your complaining about these players were are getting and other stuff etc.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:54 pm

jono wrote:your all bleddy idiots this is getting worse than twtd with your complaining about these players were are getting and other stuff etc.
Whats your opinion then jono ?

jono

Post by jono » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:36 pm

hallamblue wrote:
jono wrote:your all bleddy idiots this is getting worse than twtd with your complaining about these players were are getting and other stuff etc.
what difference would that make

Foxy Lady

Post by Foxy Lady » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:53 pm

jono wrote:
hallamblue wrote:
if you don't like it then don't post...................otherwise what is your opinion on this new player we have signed.

jono

Post by jono » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:43 pm

Foxy Lady wrote:
jono wrote:
hallamblue wrote: Whats your opinion then jono ?
if you don't like it then don't post...................otherwise what is your opinion on this new player we have signed.
personally he cant be any worse than the rest so give ppl a chance rather than putting ever player down like oh yea we are signing crap players when i bet no one else on this board could do a better job than joe is doing right now with the team so why dont you lot who complain about how badly we are doing just endure it after all you knew it was gonna happen

budgiebasher

Post by budgiebasher » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:50 pm

Just because you've never heard of him don't write him off. Joe must've seen something in him to sign him, with our finances he's hardly gonna give contracts to every tom, d*ck and harry.

Diddy Dubz

Post by Diddy Dubz » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:25 pm

Foxy Lady wrote:We have a wealth of talent in our academy and we sign an amatuer.........Oh the joy!!!

We've only just signed him, you haven't seen him play and ALREADY your on his back, top marks :roll:

the-mole

Post by the-mole » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:48 am

Give the guy a fair crack of the whip people - yes he may essentially be an amateur - but unless you are playing for a top side in Norway/scandanavia then the majority of players are amateur.

Norway are reknowned for producing technically strong players who give their all during games - this is possibly just what we need!! It is only really England, Spain, Italy and Germany who have multiple leagues of professional sides - go across the continent and you will find many other countries may only operate 1 professional division.

Besides Ian Wright was once an Amateur player and he did alright. If he is as much a success as sito then I am all for it!! Can't wait to see the guy in action! :D

ITFC10

Post by ITFC10 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:42 am

personally he cant be any worse than the rest so give ppl a chance rather than putting ever player down like oh yea we are signing crap players when i bet no one else on this board could do a better job than joe is doing right now with the team
Gotta agree with Jono there, the players we have at the moment arnt performing, so Skard should be given a chance, im sure he will rise to the occasion to be a top player for ITFC :D

Rach

Post by Rach » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:12 am

Joe Royle in the EADT wrote:“Vemund has done very well in the short time we have seen him and deserves this. He is a different type of midfielder to the ones we have already. He is defensively minded in midfield and gets everywhere.”
That sounds good to me, it'll be nice to have someone different. Personally, Im really excited about this signing....Im sure Joe wouldve signed him unless he believes he can do a job for us.

toby

Post by toby » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:30 am

the-mole wrote:Give the guy a fair crack of the whip people - yes he may essentially be an amateur - but unless you are playing for a top side in Norway/scandanavia then the majority of players are amateur.

Norway are reknowned for producing technically strong players who give their all during games - this is possibly just what we need!! It is only really England, Spain, Italy and Germany who have multiple leagues of professional sides - go across the continent and you will find many other countries may only operate 1 professional division.

Besides Ian Wright was once an Amateur player and he did alright. If he is as much a success as sito then I am all for it!! Can't wait to see the guy in action! :D
Was just about to post something similar.

There's a big difference between an amateur player in England and an "amateur" player in Scandanavia.

Also as a "amateur" he might actually show some passion and commitment as he'll be desperate to impress and he might be one of the few to actually earn his wages!

Let's see how he gets on.

the-mole

Post by the-mole » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:55 am

toby wrote:
the-mole wrote:Give the guy a fair crack of the whip people - yes he may essentially be an amateur - but unless you are playing for a top side in Norway/scandanavia then the majority of players are amateur.

There's a big difference between an amateur player in England and an "amateur" player in Scandanavia.

Also as a "amateur" he might actually show some passion and commitment as he'll be desperate to impress and he might be one of the few to actually earn his wages!

Great minds think alike tobes - again!!! :D

Susie

Post by Susie » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:00 am

Rach wrote:

My only thoughts on this are :

Not sure we should be offering a contract for next year as well until we have seen how he plays.

If he is tired playing for the reserves (when he is only 24 ), will he cope with 1st team footy?

Although on saying that I hope he does well for us. He can't do any worse than some of the donkeys we have at the moment , surely. :?

the-mole

Post by the-mole » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:39 am

Bluesusie wrote:
Rach wrote:

My only thoughts on this are :

Not sure we should be offering a contract for next year as well until we have seen how he plays.

If he is tired playing for the reserves (when he is only 24 ), will he cope with 1st team footy?

Although on saying that I hope he does well for us. He can't do any worse than some of the donkeys we have at the moment , surely. :?
As he is in the off season in Norway I would say that perhaps he isn't in peak condition at the moment - age has nothing to do with it really. A good month of training with us should hopefully get him in good stead for the season.

Hopefully he will make an impact after christmas!!

renard

Post by renard » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:27 am

Norwegian itfcfan here, i'd never heard of Skard untill his trial, and I can understand a certain uncertainty among the fans as whether he's good enough---but hey...give the guy a break. I mean, seriously, people might dislike bfj and all, but this guy skard har been given a 18month contract! That's got to imply something...he must've impressed in training, cause they're not taking him in just for fun. Bfj seems to believe he can make an impact, as he said "we've got plenty of promise and talent for the future, but we need someone for now". They could easily have given him a short-term contract, untill january or something, but they haven't. The guy might be the kind of midfield terrier town have been lacking. Defensiveminded, tackling and running... I truly hope he becomes a success, as I want all the best for town! Why slag him, bfj and the club off before we've even seen him play? He might not be a makelele or essien, but football is a team game, and individual skill is only part of the puzzle. Up the town!!! :D

StanstedBlue

Post by StanstedBlue » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:18 am

It says he is only an amateur! Should fit in nicely with the rest of the Town squad then :lol: :lol: :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:07 am

jono wrote:
Foxy Lady wrote:
jono wrote: what difference would that make
personally he cant be any worse than the rest so give ppl a chance rather than putting ever player down like oh yea we are signing crap players when i bet no one else on this board could do a better job than joe is doing right now with the team so why dont you lot who complain about how badly we are doing just endure it after all you knew it was gonna happen
Why are you being so defensive ?..where in my original response to this thread [indicated below] have I called tha player "crap" ?

I just hope people are not going to expect too much from him - he's basically still an amateur - and we've all seen how hard Sam Parkin has found it , just stepping "up a level", and he's a professional !

And I asked for your opinion, cos this is a forum isnt it?...and I was interested in what was your opinion on our new signing. ...my comments were not a "complaint" I dont believe I was slagging anyone off.....but I did say IMHO that I hoped people were'nt going to expect too much of him too soon.

He IS an amateur taking a very big step up. He will need time [fantastic if he doesnt]. And judging by the generous reactions of some of our wonderful fans regarding Sam Parkin - I actually fear this fella will get more of the same treatment.

Furtheremore I have frequently stated on this Board that I believe Joe has done a monumental job, considering our Board continues to pull the rug from under his feet.

Hope this clears up you apparent misunderstanding of my post jono !

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:18 am

According to today's EADT, he was playing in the equilvalent of the Conference South league in Norway!

I'm all for giving him a chance, but I can't help but be very dubious over this. After all, many players have a job to make the step up from League One to the Championship, let alone the equilivent of the Conference South to the Championship!

In addition, he was only part-time...I'm sure its going to take a while for his fitness to get up to stratch. Still, I guess it doesn't take much to impress when compared to the rest of our midfielders.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:21 am

toby wrote:

Im all for that Toby !...I really hope and pray Joe HAS pulled another rabbit out of the bag - but I also hope people dont expect too much of too soon. We dont want "another one for the furture" right now - we need someone that will make a difference straight away - is this guy up to it ? -I hope so ! He's supposed to be very very fit..and a defensive minded midfielder - just what we need !

http://www.itfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Ne ... 75,00.html

so like you Im looking forward to seeing him play

Number 9

Post by Number 9 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:33 am

Anybody have any stats on Skard? Height? Weight? Goals? etc.

Luke

Post by Luke » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:42 pm

Daddy Dubz wrote:
Foxy Lady wrote:We have a wealth of talent in our academy and we sign an amatuer.........Oh the joy!!!

We've only just signed him, you haven't seen him play and ALREADY your on his back, top marks :roll:
A bit like you and Proudlock, And you and Fish...
The list goes on :wink: :lol: