Davis facing Sunderland axe

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Dazza

Davis facing Sunderland axe

Post by Dazza » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:23 pm

Kelvin Davis looks set to pay for the poor start of the season by Sunderland Football Club.

The former Ipswich Town goalkeeper became a target for the Stadium of Light boo-boys following the 4-1 defeat against Portsmouth at the weekend.

Davis has now conceded 21 goals in 11 Premiership outings, and manager Mick McCarthy looks set to drop him from the team that will face Arsenal this weekend.

"If I was to change things it's between Kelvin and myself for now," McCarthy told the club's website. "But sometimes it can be almost a relief for players if that happens.

"Footballers are quite stoic. They can be having a tough time and they never want to be left out. They always want to play and sometimes it can be to their detriment.

"I had a spell at Manchester City when I was having a holocaust. To be fair to Billy McNeil he continued to play me and I never, ever wanted to be left out. I turned it around and I know Kelvin will. He's a tough character."

Mork

Post by Mork » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:36 pm

Pretty harsh on Kelvin - if you have a defense made of swiss cheese, you'll leak goals, regardless of goalie.

Still one of the better english keepers imo, just could do with a bit more presence and control of his box - he's a great shot-stopper.

Rach

Post by Rach » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:38 pm

Not surprsingly really...it has been at fault for quite a few of their goals this season....altho it doesnt help having ageing defenders like Breen/Stubbs playing it front of him.

Riviera

Post by Riviera » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:42 pm

but he played behind a sh*t defence last season

from what ive heard from my mackem mate hes been absolutely terrible..maybe a swap deal for de vos could be on the cards LOL

Dazza

Post by Dazza » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:42 pm

Come on JR, use this loan budget you keep going on about! :lol:

He cant be any worse than Lewis! (The keeper who cant catch!!!!!! :shock:)

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:29 pm

riviera wrote:but he played behind a sh*t defence last season

from what ive heard from my mackem mate hes been absolutely terrible..maybe a swap deal for de vos could be on the cards LOL
I beg your pardon :wink:

seattle_gk

Post by seattle_gk » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:47 pm

Mork wrote:Pretty harsh on Kelvin - if you have a defense made of swiss cheese, you'll leak goals, regardless of goalie.

Still one of the better english keepers imo, just could do with a bit more presence and control of his box - he's a great shot-stopper.
His being left out will expose that issue when the next guy comes in and lets in 3-4 per game. He will be back. He didn't become a bad keeper overnight.

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:28 pm

Would have thought he would be relieved not to be facing Arsenal - you can only see that as being a goal-fest - if Portsmouth can manage 4 what on earth could they do!!

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:25 am

Its starting to make the fee we got for him look pretty good though isn't it. :wink: