Magilton Eager to leave on high

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Fully

Magilton Eager to leave on high

Post by Fully » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:34 am

Just found this on BBC Site- dont know whether anyone has posted it:
Ipswich captain Jim Magilton is determined to ensure his final season at Portman Road is not an anti-climax.

The 36-year-old has been with Town since 1999 and has been part of every success and disappointment that the club have experienced in the past six years.

And despite their unconvincing start to the current campaign, Magilton still hopes to lead Ipswich back into the Premiership before leaving when his contract expires next summer.

He told BBC Sport: "I would like to go out on the highest note possible.

"The best outcome for me would obviously be promotion - but we are nowhere near being promotion candidates at the moment on the form we have shown so far.

"We have always been there or thereabouts in this division while I have been at the club.

"So I have sympathy for the way the fans feel at the moment because to see us trail in the lower half of the table is not acceptable to the players and staff either."

Along with Richard Naylor and Fabian Wilnis, Magilton is one of only three survivors from the first-team squad that went up to the Premiership via the play-offs in 2000.

Magilton played a pivotal role in that achievement, scoring a brilliant hat-trick in a dramatic semi-final second-leg against Bolton that took his side to Wembley - and ultimately promotion.

Town finished fifth in the top flight in 2001 and the former Northern Ireland international took on Inter Milan at the San Siro in the Uefa Cup the following season - but could not prevent Ipswich's relegation in the same campaign.

Town ended up seventh in his first year back in the Championship in 2003 and since then Magilton has suffered the heartbreak of defeat in the play-offs for two years running.

His club has paid a heavy price on and off the pitch for that failure to return to the Premiership.

Financial problems have led to most of the stars of last season - like Darren Bent or Shefki Kuqi - leaving, with only cut-price signings or youngsters replacing them.

And this year, instead of challenging at the top of the table, Ipswich are stuck in mid-table.

"It hasn't been going particularly well," Magilton admitted. "We have not shown any real consistent form.

"But we are better than our current league position suggests and we remain positive. We are going to be as upbeat as we possibly can.

"I am going to try and bring these lads as far forward as quickly as I can. That is my role because we have not got the money to go out and spend megabucks on players - both in transfers and wages."

If Magilton sees his job as galvaniser of his team-mates then Ipswich boss Joe Royle does not disagree.

Although the midfielder has been in and out of the side with injury this season, he returned to the starting line-up in style against Derby on Wednesday, scoring one goal and making another.

After the game, Royle said: "Jim did brilliantly, he was the best player on the pitch. Not just with his goals but the way he played all night and, even in the 90th minute, he was defending on his own line and would not give the ball away.

"I just wish we had a 26-year-old Jim Magilton to stay with us for years to come.

"I am Jim's biggest fan and maybe when he stops playing people will look back on his career and see what a fantastic footballer he was."

His reputation might not do justice to his talent but Magilton insists he will have no regrets about what might have been when he does hang up his boots.

"I feel as if my contribution at Ipswich Town has been a worthwhile experience," he said.

"It has been the best club I have played for, with regards to the success we have had here, and my enjoyment has been immense. I have really cherished every moment."

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:39 am

I hope he wins promotion as well.Great servant to ITFC over the years.

GavITFC

Post by GavITFC » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:40 am

Legend

Bluebird

Post by Bluebird » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:29 pm

Maybe he should have retired last Wednesday then, because it wont come much better than that for old Magic!!

Aluren

Post by Aluren » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:49 pm

f**king legend