Williams in !

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Dubai Blue

Williams in !

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:25 am

West Ham midfielder Gavin Williams will join the Blues on a two-month loan from Wednesday. TWTD first reported Town interest in the Wales international back in August.

Boss Joe Royle confirmed that he has been keeping an eye on the former Yeovil man for some time: "Gavin is an excellent midfielder, who has not figured much in the West Ham team this season. He did very well against us last season and is a player who we have been after for a while."

Williams signed for the Hammers from the Glovers for £250,000 last December but his only senior appearance this season came in the Carling Cup victory over Sheffield Wednesday.

The 25-year-old won his only full Wales cap in the 0-0 friendly draw with Slovenia in August.

Williams started his career at Hereford where he made 134 appearances and scored 31 goals between 1996 and 2002. He moved on to Yeovil on a free transfer and was part of their 2002/03 promotion side, making a total of 104 appearances and scoring 21 goals in two-and-a-half years at Huish Park.

Since joining West Ham the Merthyr Tydfil-born player has made just 11 appearances and has scored only once.

Royle says the move is not linked to a deal taking Dean Bowditch in the opposite direction: "This is a loan move in its own right. We have had an initial enquiry about Dean Bowditch from West Ham but we had not heard anything more from them about him since."

Tabloid reports over the weekend claimed that the Hammers are no longer interested in signing the 19-year-old frontman when the January transfer window opens.
That was from TWTD. Do we know about him ? Do we need another midfielder right now with Horlock, Magilton, Juan, Currie, Richards, Peters, Proudlock all fit and Westy on the way back ?

He generally seems to have a good goalscoring record but what kind of player is he ? Attacking ? Holding ? Ball winning ?

Opinions ?

crazee

Post by crazee » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:27 am

seems a waste of money to me, midfield is the only area of the squad were we have any depth at all but an extra player is always nice

Phil

Post by Phil » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:30 am

so on loan we currently have Juan, McEvily, Williams and Proudlock and were signing that norwigien fella in January.

Jonno

Post by Jonno » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:34 am

Class, hes a good player, hopefully this will have something to do with the Bowditch deal

Fully

Post by Fully » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:36 am

Jonno wrote:Class, hes a good player, hopefully this will have something to do with the Bowditch deal
TWTD wrote: Royle says the move is not linked to a deal taking Dean Bowditch in the opposite direction: "This is a loan move in its own right. We have had an initial enquiry about Dean Bowditch from West Ham but we had not heard anything more from them about him since."

Tabloid reports over the weekend claimed that the Hammers are no longer interested in signing the 19-year-old frontman when the January transfer window opens.
States it is nothing to do with it.

ATB

Post by ATB » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:37 am

Phil wrote:so on loan we currently have Juan, McEvily, Williams and Proudlock and were signing that norwigien fella in January.
Juan isn't on loan.. and i didn't think Proudlock was either..
Proudlock was sacked by Sheff Wednesday

ATB

Post by ATB » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:38 am

ATB wrote:
Phil wrote:so on loan we currently have Juan, McEvily, Williams and Proudlock and were signing that norwigien fella in January.
actually no according to the website they are both on loan.. my mistake :oops:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:39 am

..but of course this doesnt mean we have entered into negotiations with Wet Spam regarding Dean Bowditch's move to them in Jan window ...... :roll: :roll: - yer right ! of course we havent :shock:
looks like they are being given this "first option" to me !

Right lets have a guess at how much Town will secure for Deano ..hmmm
let me see now ...Id go as high as £500k :shock: place your bets now

Fully

Post by Fully » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:40 am

hallamblue wrote:..but of course this doesnt mean we have entered into negotiations with Wet Spam regarding Dean Bowditch's move to them in Jan window ...... :roll: :roll: - yer right ! of corse we havent :shock:
looks like they are being given this "first option" to me !

Right lets have a guess at how much Town wills ecure for Deano ..hmmm
let me see now ...Id go as high as £500k :shock: placve your bets now
Highest £1.25m
Lowest 500k

the-mole

Post by the-mole » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:43 am

If they seriously want him then I think it has to be a fair price - at least £1m - if not nearer £2m. That sort of money will make a slight difference to us - anything less ain't worth it IMO.

Plus we need to tie some serious selling on clause of such.

Fully

Post by Fully » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:44 am

the-mole wrote:If they seriously want him then I think it has to be a fair price - at least £1m - if not nearer £2m. That sort of money will make a slight difference to us - anything less ain't worth it IMO.

Too true! He was branded one of the most promising youngsters in the game few seasons back. We should be looking nearer £2m mark, but the fact he hasnt scored much, and that that promise isnt really showing now, it will drag his value down.

Jonno

Post by Jonno » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:45 am

the-mole wrote:If they seriously want him then I think it has to be a fair price - at least £1m - if not nearer £2m. That sort of money will make a slight difference to us - anything less ain't worth it IMO.

He honestly isnt worth that, we would be REALLY lucky to get a million for him, he has done absolutley nothing for us

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:52 am

..it's not so much about what he's worth...it's about how "big" Town can "think". If we never ask high figures , we will never get offered anything. WE are a soft touch and every club in this land knows it !!

If Saints can put a £8m price tag on an unknown 16yr old - then we should sure as hell be SKING for £2m for Bowditch and a sell on clause.

But Im afraid its a case of "here we go again" ! :roll: with the Town Board in all probability whinging that it was the best they could do - which is total BOLLOCKS IMHO !

Phil

Re: Williams in !

Post by Phil » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:54 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
That was from TWTD. Do we know about him ? Do we need another midfielder right now with Horlock, Magilton, Juan, Currie, Richards, Peters, Proudlock all fit and Westy on the way back ?

Opinions ?
yes we do! Horlock is old slow and genrally sh*te, Magilton is old and isn'tt going to feature every game, Peters is more of a reserve team player for now and Proudlock is a striker!

Bluebird

Post by Bluebird » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:56 am

hallamblue wrote:..it's not so much about what he's worth...it's about how "big" Town can "think". If we never ask high figures , we will never get offered anything. WE are a soft touch and every club in this land knows it !!

If Saints can put a £8m price tag on an unknown 16yr old - then we should sure as hell be SKING for £2m for Bowditch and a sell on clause.

But Im afraid its a case of "here we go again" ! :roll: with the Town Board in all probability whinging that it was the best they could do - which is total BOLLOCKS IMHO !
Bloody Hell HB, your sounding a tad bitter today! :lol: :lol:

IMO £1million would be good business for the Bowditch of 2005, providing we have a sell on clause, and the monies are paid up front and made available to BFJ!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:58 am

bluebird wrote:
hallamblue wrote:..it's not so much about what he's worth...it's about how "big" Town can "think". If we never ask high figures , we will never get offered anything. WE are a soft touch and every club in this land knows it !!

Bloody Hell HB, your sounding a tad bitter today! :lol: :lol:

IMO £1million would be good business for the Bowditch of 2005, providing we have a sell on clause, and the monies are paid up front and made available to BFJ!
:lol: :lol: :lol: ...just call it a "bad hair day" !

Bluebird

Post by Bluebird » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:04 am

just call it a "bad hair day" !
:lol: :lol:

Put your Town hat on and cheer up then!! :lol: :lol: :wink:

Diddy Dubz

Post by Diddy Dubz » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:22 am

I'd rather have Geraint Williams

Mork

Post by Mork » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:45 am

ATB wrote:
ATB wrote:
How can proudlock be on loan, he had no job?!?

the-mole

Post by the-mole » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:18 am

Mork wrote:
ATB wrote:
ATB wrote: Juan isn't on loan.. and i didn't think Proudlock was either..
How can proudlock be on loan, he had no job?!?
It was the only sideways stepping way we could have got him now instead of waiting to sign him permenantly in January!! All to do with player registrations and stuff like that!

crazee

Post by crazee » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:53 am

the official site is saying that it will be just a months loan

http://www.itfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Ne ... 06,00.html

McDonna29
Site Administrator

Post by McDonna29 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:13 am

crazee wrote:the official site is saying that it will be just a months loan

http://www.itfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Ne ... 06,00.html
So was the East Anglian this morning!

crazee

Post by crazee » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:14 am

so why the hell has every one else been saying two? :lol: :?

Rach

Post by Rach » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:15 am

crazee wrote:so why the hell has every one else been saying two? :lol: :?
Maybe its one month initially...and then if that goes alright, it'll be extended to two?

Phil

Post by Phil » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:16 am

I get the feeling it could be a trial period for him to see if we want him if we sell Bowditch to them.

McDonna29
Site Administrator

Post by McDonna29 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:17 am

ATB wrote:Juan isn't on loan.. and i didn't think Proudlock was either..
Proudlock was sacked by Weds, we decided we wanted him. But the FA said we couldn't have him until the window re-opens in January.

So we figured out a work-around, Sheff Weds give him his job back, so they can loan him to us until January, then in Jan, we sign him to us properly on a free transfer. It was just a way of getting round the FA rules.

I just hope that if he comes good for us, there is nothing that Sheff Weds have put in place that allows them to change their minds and take him back :?

Bluebird

Post by Bluebird » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:18 am

Any truth in the rumour his replacing Horlock who is off to Chelski?? :lol: :lol:

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:48 am

Nah. Abramovitch only offerred 15 million and our board have turned them down. Something about investing in our future. :wink:

Rach

Post by Rach » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:44 pm

Sounds a good player and a good signing...but surely wev got too many midfielders (who are performing well at the mo...)....I count at least 7 (Garvan, Horlock, Currie, Magilton, Richards, Juan, Westlake) and thats not including McDonald, Peters and now Williams....I cant see who Joe's gonna leave out of the 16 to be honest.....

the-mole

Post by the-mole » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:05 pm

Rach wrote:Sounds a good player and a good signing...but surely wev got too many midfielders (who are performing well at the mo...)....I count at least 7 (Garvan, Horlock, Currie, Magilton, Richards, Juan, Westlake) and thats not including McDonald, Peters and now Williams....I cant see who Joe's gonna leave out of the 16 to be honest.....
Gotta agree with Rach here - for the first time this season our midfield is actually starting to look pretty formidable!!!

Surely a central defender would be a top priority signing??? Our midfield has more strength and depth than it did last season. Defensively we still look quite weak though. I think the forwards might come good now the midfield is sorting their act out as well!