Level headed view

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Dubai Blue

Level headed view

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:36 am

Well it seems like a few of us are pretty upset, which is to be expected after having a point stolen away in the last minute of the game.

I got to see ITFC for the first time since my visit to PR for the Stoke game last Christmas and while it wasn't a 'joy to watch' it was better than I expected from the reports of recent games.

Cardiff were lucky tonight. They have a couple of bright sparks up front and the quality of Koumas but looked pretty poor overall. I think with 11 men we might well have beaten them.

We did control the game for long periods and with 2 up front might have done better. Even Forster on his own was causing problems for the Cardiff defense.

Clarke looked lively and did great for the free kick and it was a wonderful free kick by Juan. We were unlucky with their 2nd. Sito obviously thought he was taller than he is :lol: . Koumas cut back intelligently and I don't blame DeVos. What I would say though is that with a couple of minutes to go a few of our midfielders could have tracked back and helped out the defense as the Cardiff attack was building. If Koumas had been under pressure he might not have done so well.

Price did very well. Sure some of his saves were from shots right at him but he made saves and more saves.

Currie on for Clarke was the right thing to do. As Dubz said Clarke lost mobility after the challenge on him and unless my maths is wrong only Currie, Supple & Proudlock (not yet fully integrated or properly fit) were left on the bench at that point. Don't forget we were a man down we didn't need to be 2 down ! Currie wasn't directly at fault for the second was he.

I don't think Wilnis will win his appeal. Jerome shouldn't have gone down like a sack of bricks but unfortunately there was contact and Wilnis was the last man.

Horlicks did okay after Wilnis was sent off.

Summary - we looked okay tonight and with Parkin up front and 11 men I think would have taken all the points.

MOM - Hard. Price made good saves and gets my vote I think. Sito was very busy, probably at fault for their second but had a great game getting up and back. Juan had another good game and would be in my first choice team now every time, if he can do that free kick regularly then this is yet another weapon, not bad for a defensive midfielder. He looks good on the ball too. Forster had a good game and his running and ball winning, on his own up front, kept them too busy to take proper advantage of the extra man IMHO.

Don't think JR did anything wrong to be honest. Substitutions were all either effective or forced. Formation was okay and there were signs that the team is starting to move the ball around confidently.

PS. All this 'total football' at the back gave me regular heart attacks but I can see the logic. Its not much good just thumping the ball back to the opposition so they can get another go at you and I guess passing it out may catch some of the opposition players out of position and make chances for the break. Perhaps just a little too often though eh?

rossi

Re: Level headed view

Post by rossi » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:40 am

Dubai Blue wrote:Well it seems like a few of us are pretty upset, which is to be expected after having a point stolen away in the last minute of the game.

I got to see ITFC for the first time since my visit to PR for the Stoke game last Christmas and while it wasn't a 'joy to watch' it was better than I expected from the reports of recent games.

Cardiff were lucky tonight. They have a couple of bright sparks up front and the quality of Koumas but looked pretty poor overall. I think with 11 men we might well have beaten them.

We did control the game for long periods and with 2 up front might have done better. Even Forster on his own was causing problems for the Cardiff defense.

Clarke looked lively and did great for the free kick and it was a wonderful free kick by Juan. We were unlucky with their 2nd. Sito obviously thought he was taller than he is :lol: . Koumas cut back intelligently and I don't blame DeVos. What I would say though is that with a couple of minutes to go a few of our midfielders could have tracked back and helped out the defense as the Cardiff attack was building. If Koumas had been under pressure he might not have done so well.

Price did very well. Sure some of his saves were from shots right at him but he made saves and more saves.

Currie on for Clarke was the right thing to do. As Dubz said Clarke lost mobility after the challenge on him and unless my maths is wrong only Currie, Supple & Proudlock (not yet fully integrated or properly fit) were left on the bench at that point. Don't forget we were a man down we didn't need to be 2 down ! Currie wasn't directly at fault for the second was he.

I don't think Wilnis will win his appeal. Jerome shouldn't have gone down like a sack of bricks but unfortunately there was contact and Wilnis was the last man.

Summary - we looked okay tonight and with Parkin up front and 11 men I think would have taken all the points.

MOM - Hard. Price made good saves and gets my vote I think. Sito was very busy, probably at fault for their second but had a great game getting up and back. Juan had another good game and would be in my first choice team now every time, if he can do that free kick regularly then this is yet another weapon, not bad for a defensive midfielder. He looks good on the ball too. Forster had a good game and his running and ball winning, on his own up front, kept them too busy to take proper advantage of the extra man IMHO.

Don't think JR did anything wrong to be honest. Substitutions were all either effective or forced. Formation was okay and there were signs that the team is starting to move the ball around confidently.

PS. All this 'total football' at the back gave me regular heart attacks but I can see the logic. Its not much good just thumping the ball back to the opposition so they can get another go at you and I guess passing it out may catch some of the opposition players out of position and make chances for the break. Perhaps just a little too often though eh?
Sorry, Dubai, but a crocked Clarke has got a hell of a lot more mobility than a 100% fit Currie, and he tackles back as well. It was the wrong decision, and you know it.

Kheffan

Post by Kheffan » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:07 am

i would like to say Koumas is( one of those like jonno called that One railways staff member last week). playing for Cardiff as he was playing for WBA .
ITS TWICE he's stuck the boot in so to speak over the recent years :evil:

Bluebird

Re: Level headed view

Post by Bluebird » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:12 am

Dubai Blue wrote:Well it seems like a few of us are pretty upset, which is to be expected after having a point stolen away in the last minute of the game.

Dubz was wrong though DB, Clarke coming off was for "Tactical" reasons the lad was fine and is playing for the yoofs tonight!

How do you think Currie would assist in closing down a game? Would that be for his tackling or for his mobility???

I agree that there were some decent individual performances last night. Price was excellent, Sito, Juan, Williams, Richards all had good games.

But defensively we are still p*ss poor, watch the tape of the game and see the freedom offered to Cardiff players in our penalty area! You say you don't blame DeVos for the Koumas goal, well i'm sorry mate you should! Koumas fell over and still DeVos couldn't get close enough to challange him.

Last night, was one of our better displays this season, but don't let that or a sending off, fool you!

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:52 am

Well I have to defer to those who were there about Clarke. Still either way I don't think the substitution had any real bearing on the second goal although a look at the tape might not be a bad idea.

Currie can tackle and occasionally has but of course it is not known as one of his strengths.

I will have to watch the tape again. DeVos was caught out when Koumas cut back but he did look like he had arrived late after play was switched from right to left. I'm afraid Sito's botched header was the root cause though. Have to agree with someone else here who said that DeVos heading was poor throughout though.

Well now my Sky TV is working I'm hoping to get a few more chances to see games and we shall see if things look up. With Wilnis heading for a suspension we're stuck with DeVos for a while now.

Guess I just expected a lot worse after all the moaning in recent weeks on here. I've seen much worse ITFC teams than this. :wink:

Earl Blue

Post by Earl Blue » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:37 am

Crucify me if you like but as a passionate Town fan I cannot
see why we are always trying to find excuses for Joes tactical choices.

For someunknown reason (I will stand corrected if need be) amongst#the very few times where we have appeared to have got on top of games in the 2nd half Joe has made some Stunning (NOT) decisions to subsititute
which have cost us dearly.

Earl Blue

Post by Earl Blue » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:39 am

Dubai Blue wrote:Well I have to defer to those who were there about Clarke. Still either way I don't think the substitution had any real bearing on the second goal although a look at the tape might not be a bad idea.

Currie can tackle and occasionally has but of course it is not known as one of his strengths.

I will have to watch the tape again. DeVos was caught out when Koumas cut back but he did look like he had arrived late after play was switched from right to left. I'm afraid Sito's botched header was the root cause though. Have to agree with someone else here who said that DeVos heading was poor throughout though.

Well now my Sky TV is working I'm hoping to get a few more chances to see games and we shall see if things look up. With Wilnis heading for a suspension we're stuck with DeVos for a while now.

Guess I just expected a lot worse after all the moaning in recent weeks on here. I've seen much worse ITFC teams than this. :wink:

Well I felt at the time we were the attacking team, which with Clarke on we could be... As soon as we made the switch we became defensive
(and we cannot do that can we??)