Scum to listen to Ashton bids

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Diddy Dubz

Scum to listen to Ashton bids

Post by Diddy Dubz » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:50 am

Well... he is worth "£12 million" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nigel Worthington has hinted that he will listen to offers for striker Dean Ashton in January.

Manchester City boss Stuart Pearce recently confirmed his interest in the England Under-21 striker and it is understood that Charlton and West Ham also harbour intentions of luring Ashton away from Carrow Road.

A deal worth around £7 million would probably be enough to tempt Worthington into parting with his prized asset after he reportedly turned down a £6 million City bid during the summer.

"Everybody has a price but that price has to be right for us," he said.

"In the summer we had two offers that were rejected. If bids were to be made in January, they would have to far exceed offers already made."

Ashton is presently averaging a goal every three games in his 21 Championship starts this term, having joined Norwich for £3 million from Crewe in January 2005.

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:52 am

They will be lucky to get £3m for him :wink:

Diddy Dubz

Post by Diddy Dubz » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:54 am

Gaz wrote:They will be lucky to get £3m for him :wink:
£2.5 is the best they can hope for i reckon

Jonno

Post by Jonno » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:54 am

Stuart Pearce said on sky yesturday how he would love to get him in the January transfer window, he is his no1 target

ippers

Post by ippers » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:55 am

I read £7million somwhere ww.teamtalk.com I believe. Fooking Joke that would be. As my Scum supporting m8 sed tho, they paid 3mil and have a sell on clause with Crewe so any deal under £5million would make no finacial sense

Diddy Dubz

Post by Diddy Dubz » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:58 am

ippers wrote:I read £7million somwhere ww.teamtalk.com I believe. Fooking Joke that would be. As my Scum supporting m8 sed tho, they paid 3mil and have a sell on clause with Crewe so any deal under £5million would make no finacial sense
Would anyone pay £5 million for him though - I very much doubt it

Earl Blue

Post by Earl Blue » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:01 am

Maybe a cash and player/loan deal from City??

monstermunch

Post by monstermunch » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:05 am

£7 million? Are Norwich living in the late 90's? Football has changed guys...

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:37 am

Not at all suprised with this - they were never going to keep him tbh IMHO. But having said that, I think they will do well to get the reported £7 million plus - he's hardly setting the div alight this year-

...but if they do get this amount him they will have actually made a similar amount of money for him as we did for DB, once they have deducted their original fee paid to crewe, agents fees, and paying up ashtons contract !!

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:17 pm

Well its mid-season and a lot of clubs are looking for a striker (demand is high) and most of the decent ones will be chained to their clubs (supply is low). Some managers will be beginning to look down into the abyss of the championship (fear drives the market).

Summarised;

* Demand is high
* Supply is low
* Fear drives the market

Perfect conditions for selling someone with talent. I can see them getting more than we think (& more than we got for Benty). And what's more that might give them the cash to improve.

Only mitigating factor is that I would have thought that they would want to get the cash in January early enough to be able to spend it before the window closes. Perhaps that's why they have put him in the shop window now, to try to get a contract tied up before the window opens, after all you can buy and sell players any time you like. They just can't move until the window opens.

squiz18

Post by squiz18 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:12 pm

Didn't man city offer 5.7 million for him in the summer ? Bet they're wishing they took that.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:17 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:Well its mid-season and a lot of clubs are looking for a striker (demand is high) and most of the decent ones will be chained to their clubs (supply is low). Some managers will be beginning to look down into the abyss of the championship (fear drives the market).

Summarised;

* Demand is high
* Supply is low
* Fear drives the market

Perfect conditions for selling someone with talent. I can see them getting more than we think (& more than we got for Benty). And what's more that might give them the cash to improve.

Only mitigating factor is that I would have thought that they would want to get the cash in January early enough to be able to spend it before the window closes. Perhaps that's why they have put him in the shop window now, to try to get a contract tied up before the window opens, after all you can buy and sell players any time you like. They just can't move until the window opens.
I accept and understand the supply and demand theory DB ...but money (so we are told) is not a "problem" for ncfc !...so obtaining more of it for Ashton is

a) not going to solve their current plight ...ie unable to win a game for love nor money !

b) who could they buy, (with the required "quality") that would be willing to go to norwich in the first place ? - they have a large squad of meadiocre quality players IMHO. I mean what have norwivch actually done - even when they where promoted.

They are a very "ordinary team" IMO!..Ashton's is by far their "best" player...yet he's done nothing in his time in prem league to convince me he's got what it takes for that level ...he's too slow !..and he's done sod all this year for them !

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:23 pm

I think you underestimate them HB. Money talks. Players will come if the price is right and getting them back in the play off picture could be a useful springboard for the next move.

I think money is no problem for them relative to say us but still don't believe that they can go out and buy when they want. They still have players on prem contracts.

Either way we'll see in the next month or so. Norwich have problems all over the pitch so it maybe that selling two Ashtons wouldn't help them :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:50 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:I think you underestimate them HB. Money talks. Players will come if the price is right and getting them back in the play off picture could be a useful springboard for the next move.

I think money is no problem for them relative to say us but still don't believe that they can go out and buy when they want. They still have players on prem contracts.

Either way we'll see in the next month or so. Norwich have problems all over the pitch so it maybe that selling two Ashtons wouldn't help them :lol:
norwich (to my understanding) have always kept a tight ship , regarding players wages within their wage structure - so I cant see them changing that philosophy, especially since they have announced an increased debt -(despite being promoted).

As you say they have problems all over the park - and in the manager !If they are not careful they will (like us ) be in a dog fight to avoid relegation ..and based on what has happend to them so far this season- I seriously doubt they have the players "up for the fight" to survive it - so I do wonder if any player with true quality, would "risk" going to a struggling outfit that has a good chance of playing league one next season !!!!

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:49 am

They only need to wait and play us so its a guaranteed three points to them.