Royle out the answer?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Dazza

Royle out the answer?

Post by Dazza » Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:18 pm

Now before everyone goes crazy, I am not supporting Royle here, I think he is getting things wrong and isnt as good as he once was, but we've all got to look at the BIGGER PICTURE. It all doesnt lie at Royle and we can dig up the past every day but thats not going to get us anywhere so theres no point in blaming Sheepshank, the simple fact is this club needs an invester and quickly!

We just dont have the players to compete against the likes of Palace or the rest of the teams in the top half of the table and thats worrying.

Luke

Post by Luke » Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:19 pm

I wouldnt trust royle with 1 pound let alone 1mllion pounds...

ROYLE OUT!

Dazza

Post by Dazza » Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:21 pm

Luke wrote:I wouldnt trust royle with 1 pound let alone 1mllion pounds...

ROYLE OUT!
Luke mate, you're being silly, you're not reading the post.

Ok, Royle out, say we do that, fine. But we are still in £30m worth of debt and we still dont have the players, all I'm saying is people need to look at the bigger picture here...

Gettinbg Royle out wont solve ALL our problems.

ippers

Post by ippers » Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:23 pm

Royle has lost the plot and should be remembered for the gd he has achieved here rather than carry on and be remembered as a clueless Pototo. I also think its about time the deluded Sheepshanks is replaced he has been chairman for 10years plus and has had his time, there must be someone who can do his job? Id rather I down to earth supporter than him as we are paying him 100k a year for what exactly?

Luke

Post by Luke » Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:24 pm

Dazza wrote:
Luke wrote:I wouldnt trust royle with 1 pound let alone 1mllion pounds...

ROYLE OUT!
Luke mate, you're being silly, you're not reading the post.

Ok, Royle out, say we do that, fine. But we are still in £30m worth of debt and we still dont have the players, all I'm saying is people need to look at the bigger picture here...

Gettinbg Royle out wont solve ALL our problems.
It could...
Royle is sacked... We bring in a new manager who makes us retain a respectable leauge postion this season and brings the best out of the squad we have. Over summer he makes the squad his own by wheeling and dealing. And town go up. 20million+ Straight away. Problem almost solved. lol :wink: :lol:

Dazza

Post by Dazza » Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:27 pm

ippers wrote:Royle has lost the plot and should be remembered for the gd he has achieved here rather than carry on and be remembered as a clueless Pototo. I also think its about time the deluded Sheepshanks is replaced he has been chairman for 10years plus and has had his time, there must be someone who can do his job? Id rather I down to earth supporter than him as we are paying him 100k a year for what exactly?
Sheepshanks knows this club inside out, he is probably the best man to be our chairman while we have no money. Sheepshanks has said he'll step down if someone can buy the club.

I get the feeling everyone is being a little bit silly at the moment, rash sackings wont clear this £30m worth of debt and it wont suddenly make us have a good team.

Dazza

Post by Dazza » Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:28 pm

Luke wrote:It could...
Royle is sacked... We bring in a new manager who makes us retain a respectable leauge postion this season and brings the best out of the squad we have. Over summer he makes the squad his own by wheeling and dealing. And town go up. 20million+ Straight away. Problem almost solved. lol :wink: :lol:
Thats a nice fairy tale story there, but I dont think its as simple as that. If we cant do it last season with the squad then, then I question if theres a manager out there that can get us up when we're this broke.

Luke

Post by Luke » Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:30 pm

Dazza wrote:
ippers wrote:Royle has lost the plot and should be remembered for the gd he has achieved here rather than carry on and be remembered as a clueless Pototo. I also think its about time the deluded Sheepshanks is replaced he has been chairman for 10years plus and has had his time, there must be someone who can do his job? Id rather I down to earth supporter than him as we are paying him 100k a year for what exactly?
Sheepshanks knows this club inside out, he is probably the best man to be our chairman while we have no money. Sheepshanks has said he'll step down if someone can buy the club.

I get the feeling everyone is being a little bit silly at the moment, rash sackings wont clear this £30m worth of debt and it wont suddenly make us have a good team.
I disagree with that mate. We have a squad capable of finshing between 1st and 10th with some lucky breaks and good management! Atm we lack both...

ippers

Post by ippers » Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:31 pm

Yeah but Dazza, why should we sit back and watch this crap and not expect better? Teams such as Burnley, Preston, Stoke, Cardiff are out performing us and we have double their attendances, this club is turning into a joke and being drubbed at home on a regular basis aint good enough IMO....

Luke

Post by Luke » Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:31 pm

Dazza wrote:
Luke wrote:It could...
Thats a nice fairy tale story there, but I dont think its as simple as that. If we cant do it last season with the squad then, then I question if theres a manager out there that can get us up when we're this broke.
Its the ideal situation Obviously its unlikey it would run that easily. But all im saying is Royle is the past. We need to look forwards to the future.

Dazza

Post by Dazza » Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:33 pm

Luke wrote:We need to look forwards to the future.
There is no future, except debt, debt and debt.

Luke

Post by Luke » Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:35 pm

Dazza wrote:
Luke wrote:We need to look forwards to the future.
There is no future, except debt, debt and debt.
:lol: :lol: :lol: The way to solve this is Promotion Promotion Promotion! :wink:

John

Post by John » Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:37 pm

i'm finding it harder to support joe royle.

ok so we are in a finacial mess,nothing to do with royle i know,but his tactics are becoming tiresome to say the least,we keep hearing the word change and transitional from him,yet week in week out it's the same.

the bigger picture is,as i see it....sheepshanks failure and mismanagement to let a manager get carried away with our funds,it's in the past now,but we are still suffering as a result of it and we do need investors.........but joe royle.....whom i've defended untill the last few months is dragging the club down further imho.

ippers

Post by ippers » Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:43 pm

Yeah the massive teams in the top half of the table such as Luton, Stoke, Watford, Burnley, Preston, Stoke have millions and millions of pounds at their disposal :roll:

Dazza

Post by Dazza » Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:45 pm

ippers wrote:Yeah the massive teams in the top half of the table such as Luton, Stoke, Watford, Burnley, Preston, Stoke have millions and millions of pounds at their disposal :roll:
More than us ;)

Rach

Post by Rach » Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:54 pm

IMO another manager could do a better job with the players we've got than Joe is. We've not got a bad squad...yes we've been unlucky with injuries, but if we had the right formation and played in a way which suited the players then we would win more games. For some reason, we don't do either, and surely thats got to be, at least partly, Joe's fault.

Mork

Re: Royle out the answer?

Post by Mork » Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:04 pm

Dazza wrote:Now before everyone goes crazy, I am not supporting Royle here, I think he is getting things wrong and isnt as good as he once was, but we've all got to look at the BIGGER PICTURE. It all doesnt lie at Royle and we can dig up the past every day but thats not going to get us anywhere so theres no point in blaming Sheepshank, the simple fact is this club needs an invester and quickly!

We just dont have the players to compete against the likes of Palace or the rest of the teams in the top half of the table and thats worrying.
Royle out is the best course of action, all we're doing is backpedalling and sinking whilst we do it - best to make the change now. Wish Royle would do the honourable thing and quit, but if he won't, take the bloody hit.

Jonno

Post by Jonno » Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:01 pm

Its simple Royle HAS to go

Gothemon

Post by Gothemon » Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:13 pm

HI this is my first post so sorry if it goes a bit wrong.

Firstly money aside,

Today was the first time I'd seen a home match since the drubbing by Preston. and palace weren't the best side I've seen. So saying they did come to rough us up a bit, and we can't handle the physical game at all.

For ten minutes either side of half time we showed we could actually play some decent football, apart from not being able to create a clear goal scoring chance.

The rest of the game, the players clearly showed a lack of belief in their abilities or confidence, they continued to pass it off in to no one, instead of taking control.
The only players if showed confidence were young McDonald and Haynes, because they are young and want to play.
Joe is not inspiring this club anymore. Playing one up front at home!! What is going on, there was no way long ball tactics were going to work with a keeper who can't kick, and a lone midget striker against giant defenders. The tactics were so flawed it was embarassing. The reason reading are top is because they play to their strengths, they have the players who can defend well and others who hit well on the break, We have no structure and no tactics. Bringing on a striker for a defender? what was that all about? we started with one forward and ended up with three?
The players we have could form a decent first XI. not great but decent. If we are looking to the future long term, then lets ditch Royle now, because he is not the future. Truth is, if he was good enough we should of been up last season. Most clubs top at Christmas have gone up, FACT.

Money wise, according to 442's rich list we do have someone in the top 100 richest people in football, and richer than ol' Delia down the road. No it's not Sheepwanks either, who also needs to go soon. I think it's Holly Bingham? maybe wrong. so really, if the Directors loved this club there should be some money somewhere.

edo_blue

Post by edo_blue » Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:15 pm

:shock: IMHO we've missed our way back to the big league. All the best Mr Burley!!!!

Riviera

Post by Riviera » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:31 am

Dazza

if we are going to sell any season tickets for next season we need a change in managment, and quickly, a new manager nearly always brings a breath of fresh air into a stale club, which is what our club is at the moment

now im not normally for a director of football and a coach, but i could see it working here for the short term, it IS needed, and its needed quickly

i do see ur point about the debt, but the debt will be far worse with much lower attendances and lower merchandise sales, what the club could ifeally do with is 3 or 4 season of play off final hearteache, getting to the final, and taking the money, yes it would break all our hearts to see us lose but season ticket sales would be sky high, we'd be on TV more often, this all adds up in the long run

unfortunately with joe in charge we'll be lucky to make the top half of the table, i can see a local derby with Colchester before too long if this carries on

the one thing most defenders in this league fear the most is pace, and our youngsters have plenty of that, but they cant show it because they dont get played, or they just get 5 mins here and there

Bluebird

Post by Bluebird » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:36 am

Gothemon wrote:HI this is my first post so sorry if it goes a bit wrong.

Firstly money aside,

Today was the first time I'd seen a home match since the drubbing by Preston. and palace weren't the best side I've seen. So saying they did come to rough us up a bit, and we can't handle the physical game at all.

For ten minutes either side of half time we showed we could actually play some decent football, apart from not being able to create a clear goal scoring chance.

The rest of the game, the players clearly showed a lack of belief in their abilities or confidence, they continued to pass it off in to no one, instead of taking control.
The only players if showed confidence were young McDonald and Haynes, because they are young and want to play.
Joe is not inspiring this club anymore. Playing one up front at home!! What is going on, there was no way long ball tactics were going to work with a keeper who can't kick, and a lone midget striker against giant defenders. The tactics were so flawed it was embarassing. The reason reading are top is because they play to their strengths, they have the players who can defend well and others who hit well on the break, We have no structure and no tactics. Bringing on a striker for a defender? what was that all about? we started with one forward and ended up with three?
The players we have could form a decent first XI. not great but decent. If we are looking to the future long term, then lets ditch Royle now, because he is not the future. Truth is, if he was good enough we should of been up last season. Most clubs top at Christmas have gone up, FACT.

Money wise, according to 442's rich list we do have someone in the top 100 richest people in football, and richer than ol' Delia down the road. No it's not Sheepwanks either, who also needs to go soon. I think it's Holly Bingham? maybe wrong. so really, if the Directors loved this club there should be some money somewhere.
Welcome aboard Gotheman, great first post, you've summed up what alot of us are feeling right now! Clearly BFJ learnt nothing from the reading surrender! He appears to have lost the plot, poor tactics, team selections, substitutions, no motivation, and no fight! We really are poor right now.

Vaughan8

Post by Vaughan8 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:44 am

Royle is obviously not using the tactics, formations players etc we would like, but too be fair, most of the players are pretty poor! we hae a squad for a top 10 finish??? I think not! we are the pooriest I have ever seen Ipswich (fortunately i didnt see the duncan era, only watched from lyall!! :D ) and its not all down to the manager, tho his decisions do seem weird at times. I never like playing 1 up front at home! fair enough away but not at home, and also 5 in midfield should mean we should try and outpass them in midfield with the extra man, but we just kept hoofing it up to forster. But after seeing some of the midfield pass, i am not surprised royle thought our best hope was to hoof it up!!

Bluebird

Post by Bluebird » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:00 am

Vaughan8 wrote:Royle is obviously not using the tactics, formations players etc we would like, but too be fair, most of the players are pretty poor! we hae a squad for a top 10 finish??? I think not! we are the pooriest I have ever seen Ipswich (fortunately i didnt see the duncan era, only watched from lyall!! :D ) and its not all down to the manager, tho his decisions do seem weird at times. I never like playing 1 up front at home! fair enough away but not at home, and also 5 in midfield should mean we should try and outpass them in midfield with the extra man, but we just kept hoofing it up to forster. But after seeing some of the midfield pass, i am not surprised royle thought our best hope was to hoof it up!!
Well I saw part of the Duncan era, and to be honest I stopped going to PR and decided to play saturday afternoons instead. Now I don't think we are quiet that bad YET! But we are heading in that direction.

Luke

Post by Luke » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:14 am

bluebird wrote:
Vaughan8 wrote:Royle is obviously not using the tactics, formations players etc we would like, but too be fair, most of the players are pretty poor! we hae a squad for a top 10 finish??? I think not! we are the pooriest I have ever seen Ipswich (fortunately i didnt see the duncan era, only watched from lyall!! :D ) and its not all down to the manager, tho his decisions do seem weird at times. I never like playing 1 up front at home! fair enough away but not at home, and also 5 in midfield should mean we should try and outpass them in midfield with the extra man, but we just kept hoofing it up to forster. But after seeing some of the midfield pass, i am not surprised royle thought our best hope was to hoof it up!!
Well I saw part of the Duncan era, and to be honest I stopped going to PR and decided to play saturday afternoons instead. Now I don't think we are quiet that bad YET! But we are heading in that direction.
Thats what my old Uncle is comparing this to "The Duncan era" Where we simply are going nowhere!

Jonno

Post by Jonno » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:45 pm

ROYLE OUT

Jonno

Post by Jonno » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:46 pm

ROYLE OUT

Jonno

Post by Jonno » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:49 pm

Also just found this little diddy, sound familar lol

MANCHESTER NEWS

Wednesday, 23rd June 2004
Royle sacked 'because of his incompetence'

MANCHESTER City sacked former manager Joe Royle because they felt he was "incompetent," a court heard today.

The claim was made at the High Court as Mr Royle launched a legal challenge against the size of the payout the club gave him after he was dismissed.

The former Blues' boss says City should have given him a Premiership pay-off after he was sacked when the Blues were relegated in 2001. He says the payment he received treated him as a first division manager.

The court, sitting in Liverpool, was told City lost to Ipswich on May 7 making it mathematically impossible to stay in the Premier league. They subsequently lost 2-1 to Chelsea on May 19 and finished third from bottom.

Royle met the club's chairman in an Indian restaurant on May 17 to discuss contracts. Another meeting was arranged for Monday May 21 at which Royle was told he was being sacked.

Documents

But Royle's barrister said: "It was felt that Mr Royle had become incompetent in his duties." He said that share documents showed the club were still in the Premiership on June 6.

The lawyer added: "We're saying it was self-evident that they left the Premiership or were no longer in it on, and only on, June 6.

"That must be unfortunate for Manchester City. They jumped the gun if they wanted to get rid of Mr Royle at First Division service rates. They got it wrong and they are suffering."

The court was told Royle had a successful career as a player and then went into management with Oldham and Everton before going to City in 1998.

His first contract with City was for three years but it was thought he had done so well in getting the club promoted that he was given a new contract from June 2000 until May 2004, subject to termination provisions.

The court heard that City could not have been officially relegated when Royle was sacked because the promotion play-offs had not been concluded at the time.