Phil Parkinson

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Diddy Dubz

Phil Parkinson

Post by Diddy Dubz » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:53 am

I've held off from saying this because I hate Colchester United with a passion but I think he's just the type of manager we need.

He's young, has an eye for a bargain and likes to give the youth a try.

He can't cost that much as I reckon Joe is on a pretty fair whack.

Thoughts?

Luke

Post by Luke » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:58 am

Why not! Id prefer someone with a Ipswich connection. But Parkinson is well worth a shot. Anyone except Royle or anyone currently in the Royle regime

hallamblue

Re: Phil Parkinson

Post by hallamblue » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:01 pm

Daddy Dubz wrote:I've held off from saying this because I hate Colchester United with a passion but I think he's just the type of manager we need.

He's young, has an eye for a bargain and likes to give the youth a try.

He can't cost that much as I reckon Joe is on a pretty fair whack.

Thoughts?
thats fine ...and in part I agree with you...But if Town did get in another manager (which they wont)...that manager would also still only have ONE FIT RECOGNISED STRIKER !! ....and a non existant left back !!

The Gaffer

Post by The Gaffer » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:10 pm

parkinsons not experianced enough to take over a club like us! were still seen as a big club amoung other clubs and people within the game, and therefore we should stick with high profile managers that would fit the bill.
In all fairness i think it would be a bad decisons to throw a manager in such as parkinson, with the squad and finances weve got and expect him to do something, when he hasnt really achived that much before.
the crowd will also want to have a manager who they will no will kick the sh*t out of the players when they arnt performing, and get the players to restore some pride and faith of which they have lost over the past few months.
whether or not there is a manager of a larger profile avlaible and would be willing to do the job i dont no, but i think chucking a manager of parkingsons experiance into a club like ipswich is abit to far fethched for me

Bluebird

Post by Bluebird » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:12 pm

bigfatjoes wrote:parkinsons not experianced enough to take over a club like us! were still seen as a big club amoung other clubs and people within the game, and therefore we should stick with high profile managers that would fit the bill.
In all fairness i think it would be a bad decisons to throw a manager in such as parkinson, with the squad and finances weve got and expect him to do something, when he hasnt really achived that much before.
the crowd will also want to have a manager who they will no will kick the sh*t out of the players when they arnt performing, and get the players to restore some pride and faith of which they have lost over the past few months.
whether or not there is a manager of a larger profile avlaible and would be willing to do the job i dont no, but i think chucking a manager of parkingsons experiance into a club like ipswich is abit to far fethched for me
Thats what they said about that young fella at Watford, and his doing a terrific job with no money and home grown talent, so it can be done!

ippers

Post by ippers » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:14 pm

Yeah but Royle is supposed to be 'experienced' and he is absolutely clueless :lol:

Bluebird

Post by Bluebird » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:16 pm

ippers wrote:Yeah but Royle is supposed to be 'experienced' and he is absolutely clueless :lol:
I'm finding my self reading your posts differently without Richards inane grin :lol: :lol:

To be fair its only this season that Joe appears to have lost the plot!

ippers

Post by ippers » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:18 pm

Ah yeah only just noticed he has disappeared :lol: ne chance an admin cd return him too me? :lol:

The Gaffer

Post by The Gaffer » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:19 pm

bluebird wrote:
bigfatjoes wrote:parkinsons not experianced enough to take over a club like us! were still seen as a big club amoung other clubs and people within the game, and therefore we should stick with high profile managers that would fit the bill.
Thats what they said about that young fella at Watford, and his doing a terrific job with no money and home grown talent, so it can be done!

but watford are not expecting things to happen, down there, soo they dint expect much, if they finished in the top 10 bonus, if they didnt not the end of the world. but for a club like us, finishing were we could do may b disasterous and well not worth thinking bout the consequnces.

Bluebird

Post by Bluebird » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:20 pm

ippers wrote:Ah yeah only just noticed he has disappeared :lol: ne chance an admin cd return him too me? :lol:
Depends whether you want to appear a complete idiot or not?? :lol: :lol: :wink:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:05 pm

bluebird wrote:
ippers wrote:Yeah but Royle is supposed to be 'experienced' and he is absolutely clueless :lol:
I'm finding my self reading your posts differently without Richards inane grin :lol: :lol:

To be fair its only this season that Joe appears to have lost the plot!

reality check here :

wouldnt have anything to do with the fact he's lost a 50 goal strike force and the best fizzy league Gk (at the time)....oh and lets not forget the 10+ odd goals from Midfielder Miller !! :shock:

yer joe 's "lost the plot " right ! :roll:

Bluebird

Post by Bluebird » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:21 am

hallamblue wrote:
bluebird wrote:

To be fair its only this season that Joe appears to have lost the plot![/quote]

reality check here :

wouldnt have anything to do with the fact he's lost a 50 goal strike force and the best fizzy league Gk (at the time)....oh and lets not forget the 10+ odd goals from Midfielder Miller !! :shock:

yer joe 's "lost the plot " right ! :roll:
HB, that was not a glib remark, IMHO Joe has lost the plot, ok we lost some top players, and it was clear that we were not going to be the same force this year. But Joe's team selections, tactics, substitutions have frankly bordered on the insane at times! One up front at home when he knows his team cannot defend, cannot tackle, and lack fight and commitment!
If thats not losing the plot, then would you prefere the word incompetent?

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:37 am

There is a view that says he's trying out his options, experimenting. Not sure if I subscribe to this view but I think we will have to see how things unfold over the second half of the season to see if the tinkering (& the injuries) stops.

We're wasting a lot of hot air on the JR issue right now. The poor guy has got almost a new squad this year, he has unearthed one or two gems and is playing them regularly (Sito, Juan, Williams, Forster (?)).

We're clearly a few players away from a top rate starting 11 right now but its coming together slowly. If we could get a decent LB on loan and a target man then we might see some progress.

Looking ahead the best starting 11 is looking like this:

Price/Supple

Sito
Naylor
DeVos
_______ ... looking

Williams
Juan
Garvan
Richards

Forster
_______ ... looking

Even after we have found our missing 2 links it will take some time for them to get used to playing together.

We have some great attacking midfield/forward youth who are coming through (Haynes/Clarke) as well as some decent backup in midfield (Westlake/Proudlock/Magilton/Horlock)

What we don't have is much defensive backup (Wilnis/Richards) or decent forward backup.

It must be clear now that we were all expecting too much at the start of the season and false dawns against Sheffield W & Leeds didn't help us manage our expectations properly.

Vaughan8

Post by Vaughan8 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:18 am

Dubai Blue wrote:There is a view that says he's trying out his options, experimenting. Not sure if I subscribe to this view but I think we will have to see how things unfold over the second half of the season to see if the tinkering (& the injuries) stops.

We're wasting a lot of hot air on the JR issue right now. The poor guy has got almost a new squad this year, he has unearthed one or two gems and is playing them regularly (Sito, Juan, Williams, Forster (?)).

We're clearly a few players away from a top rate starting 11 right now but its coming together slowly. If we could get a decent LB on loan and a target man then we might see some progress.

Looking ahead the best starting 11 is looking like this:

Price/Supple

Sito
Naylor
DeVos
_______ ... looking

Williams
Juan
Garvan
Richards

Forster
_______ ... looking

Even after we have found our missing 2 links it will take some time for them to get used to playing together.

We have some great attacking midfield/forward youth who are coming through (Haynes/Clarke) as well as some decent backup in midfield (Westlake/Proudlock/Magilton/Horlock)

What we don't have is much defensive backup (Wilnis/Richards) or decent forward backup.

It must be clear now that we were all expecting too much at the start of the season and false dawns against Sheffield W & Leeds didn't help us manage our expectations properly.
Westlake is a definate starter in my book, one of the midfilders who coulod actually score!!

Juan has had a few good games but some games seems absolute useless and garvan is only young!

Also Sito has not been that good since the start of the season, seems a bit shaky on the ball and gives it away too much. Tho cannot question his commitment! And wilnis is just as bad so i cant choose between them!

The Riddler

Post by The Riddler » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:52 am

I did say last season that we should look at Phil Parkinson he is a great young manager doing great things at colchester with even less money and if we are lucky he will bring Greg halford with him?
JR was only a temporary measure to see if he could get us back up quickly!!
It has not happened it is time to move on and rebuild with a young keen manager.
We all remember what happened when we last took a manager from the Col U mmmmm

uefacup81

Post by uefacup81 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:20 am

If I was the Colchester chairman, I'd be a bit worried if Ipswich came sniffing around Parkinson, seeing as they seemed to think we robbed them of Burley this time 10 years ago. At the end of the day, because of that and the way Colchester reacted, I think we'll get very short shrift if we try an approach.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:40 am

uefacup81 wrote:If I was the Colchester chairman, I'd be a bit worried if Ipswich came sniffing around Parkinson, seeing as they seemed to think we robbed them of Burley this time 10 years ago. At the end of the day, because of that and the way Colchester reacted, I think we'll get very short shrift if we try an approach.
when is his contract up ? (Parkinson's I mean !)