Town to Field Strong Side

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Dazza

Town to Field Strong Side

Post by Dazza » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:42 pm

Manager Joe Royle says that he will field as strong a side as possible when the Blues face Portsmouth in the FA Cup on Saturday. The Town boss says that his team have progressed in recent matches.

Royle told the club site: "I said a few weeks ago that I could see signs that we were beginning to turn the corner and that has been further enhanced over the last few days.

"The players were outstanding at Stoke on Monday and I have been encouraged by our recent performances.

"We will be looking to build on those displays when we take on Portsmouth on Saturday in the greatest cup competition of them all - the FA Cup.

"We are waiting to see who will be fit and have limited options in attack, where Danny Haynes is currently our only fit striker.

"Nicky Forster may be back but Dean McDonald is Cup-tied and Adam Proudlock has had a reaction after playing the last few minutes at Stoke.

"We have players available in midfield though, and will have a head count on Friday, but I will be looking at playing the strongest team available to me and we intend to have a real go.

"Portsmouth may be looking to rest players with Premiership survival their priority, but I saw our reserves play down there a few weeks back and they had international players in that team.

"They will have plenty of players looking to come in and make an impact, so I'm expecting a real test and an exciting game. There's always something special about the FA Cup and particularly third round day."

crazee

Post by crazee » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:43 pm

lets hope pompey go the other way, a weak side so we can go though

Vaughan8

Post by Vaughan8 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:00 pm

I'm glad! Ipswich could do with a good cup run if not for the fact we would be winning games, but also from a financial point of view!

uefacup81

Post by uefacup81 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:02 pm

Good to see that kinda news going into a cup game for a change. It would be good to put a run together for once and earn some cold hard cash. Then again, how will it affect the rest of our season?

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Re: Town to Field Strong Side

Post by TODD66 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:12 pm

Dazza wrote:
Manager Joe Royle says that he will field as strong a side as possible when the Blues face Portsmouth in the FA Cup on Saturday. The Town boss says that his team have progressed in recent matches.

Royle told the club site: "I said a few weeks ago that I could see signs that we were beginning to turn the corner and that has been further enhanced over the last few days.

"The players were outstanding at Stoke on Monday and I have been encouraged by our recent performances.

"We will be looking to build on those displays when we take on Portsmouth on Saturday in the greatest cup competition of them all - the FA Cup.

"We are waiting to see who will be fit and have limited options in attack, where Danny Haynes is currently our only fit striker.

"Nicky Forster may be back but Dean McDonald is Cup-tied and Adam Proudlock has had a reaction after playing the last few minutes at Stoke.

"We have players available in midfield though, and will have a head count on Friday, but I will be looking at playing the strongest team available to me and we intend to have a real go.

"Portsmouth may be looking to rest players with Premiership survival their priority, but I saw our reserves play down there a few weeks back and they had international players in that team.

"They will have plenty of players looking to come in and make an impact, so I'm expecting a real test and an exciting game. There's always something special about the FA Cup and particularly third round day."
and whos fault would that be Joe :roll:

Nice to hear that we are going to field a strong a side as possible, but what price a little forethought :shock:

the-mole

Post by the-mole » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:55 am

Seems allowing McDonald to play for Hartlepool in the cup has come back to haunt us!!!

With the way our luck was going this season that was a stupid decision to make. If he was going on a long term loan then fair enough but the lad was only there a month.

Now it could be that having him available could have been the difference between us going through or not.

But if he isn't fit I am all for throwing someone like westlake in attack. The lad can score goals and hopefully will chase everything and put real pressure on the pompey backline!!

Bluebird

Post by Bluebird » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:07 am

But if he isn't fit I am all for throwing someone like westlake in attack. The lad can score goals and hopefully will chase everything and put real pressure on the pompey backline!!
Isn't that why Joe put Currie up front? :lol: :lol:

Col-Blue

Post by Col-Blue » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:22 am

bluebird wrote:
His pace would really show them up :roll:

squiz18

Post by squiz18 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:52 am

bluebird wrote:
probably the best place for him. He can still set up goals but without being in the middle so he hasnt got to tackle many people. Because he cant do it.

ITFC10

Post by ITFC10 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:37 pm

Pompey will be more intrested in the League

Whilst a good Cup run would be good for ourselves, get some extra cash coming in.

GavITFC

Post by GavITFC » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:32 am

the-mole wrote:Seems allowing McDonald to play for Hartlepool in the cup has come back to haunt us!!!

With the way our luck was going this season that was a stupid decision to make. If he was going on a long term loan then fair enough but the lad was only there a month.

Now it could be that having him available could have been the difference between us going through or not.

I knew it would! it was a ridiculous decision to allow him to play!!

Tim

Post by Tim » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:35 am

Lets hope a good cup run will bring in some money, boast morale in the dressing room and most importantly bring results in the league :)

Missblue

Post by Missblue » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:47 am

Is Bowditch injured?? :?

Kheffan

Re: Town to Field Strong Side

Post by Kheffan » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:17 am

Dazza wrote:

shouldn't that be the matter of course of all games? :roll:

Earl Blue

Post by Earl Blue » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:25 am

ITFC10 wrote:Pompey will be more intrested in the League

Whilst a good Cup run would be good for ourselves, get some extra cash coming in.
I dont think Harry Redknapp will have the same
thinking. My personal feeling is he will field his
strongest possible side as the FANS wont be happy if he did the
opposite.