Supple Aiming To Stay #1

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Dazza

Supple Aiming To Stay #1

Post by Dazza » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:13 pm

Ipswich Town goalkeeper Shane Supple says he is hoping to stay in the Town first team or as long as possible.

The 19-year-old ‘keeper has started Town’s last two games as first choice ‘keeper Lewis Price has been out with a groin injury but he is hoping to stay between the sticks as long as possible.

Supple: “I am great mates with Lewis and he is superb keeper, I always wish him well - and he does me - but now that I have had a good taste of first team football I want to stay in the team.

“I came on when Lewis was injured in the August 0-0 draw at Leicester, but this was my first 90-minute shut-out.

“And I want to gain many, many more during what I hope will be a long Ipswich Town career.”

Shane is also grateful for the chance he has been given at Town, adding: “With most clubs I would not be in with a chance of playing in the first team at my age, at Ipswich we get our chance, and Owen, Danny Haynes and Dean Bowditch were other teenagers in Saturday's team.

“Since coming over from Dublin I have had a great grounding - and hopefully I have many seasons ahead of me.

“I phoned my folks in Ireland on Saturday night, and they were celebrating the New Year.

“For me it was a quiet night in, but it was a small price to pay for having football as a career.

“I was happy with how I played on Saturday and hope I can keep it going today.

“We were all getting a bit fed up with not winning, and I am sure it was getting to our fans as well.”

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:16 pm

At this moment in time can't see how you can drop him. Having said that it would not surprise me if Joe does.

Mork

Post by Mork » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:19 pm

Shed On Tour wrote:At this moment in time can't see how you can drop him. Having said that it would not surprise me if Joe does.
Joe dropping him for Lewis will just confirm the ineptitude in team selection that is taking us down the table.

John

Post by John » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:32 pm

Mork wrote:
Shed On Tour wrote:At this moment in time can't see how you can drop him. Having said that it would not surprise me if Joe does.
Joe dropping him for Lewis will just confirm the ineptitude in team selection that is taking us down the table.
agree.....he deserves his place at the moment and in my opinion should keep it.

Bluebird

Post by Bluebird » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:46 am

Mork wrote:
Agreed :(

the-mole

Post by the-mole » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:45 am

Well Price is the more experienced of the two keepers but I have always thought a player should be picked on merit. Supple has done enough to suggest he should be first choice for now. By keeping him in it will give price the incentive to train hard and focus on playing well when he gets his chance.

If players know that there is competition for their place in the starting line up then that alone should be motivation enough to ensure the compete at a high enough standard.

Richard Wright was good enough at 17 - so what is wrong with giving a 19 year his chance??

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by loudnproud » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:16 am

It realy would be a travisity to drop young Shane Supple. In my opinion,He is the reason the teams confidence on the ball is growing. It is through his high %age of accurate balls to his own players and creating from the back,that is making the team come to life...Lewis is a stopper,but his "hoofing it down-field" to no one is negative football. It is my hope that this can be coached out of him,to play the town way....