Barron

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

ippers

Barron

Post by ippers » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:58 am

Surely 1 half decent display means the left back problem is sorted :? I will be a bit worried that Joe will sign another striker rather than a left back (hopefully both tho) when we have had a problem there for yeras, seems a bit short sighted to me

John

Re: Barron

Post by John » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:09 am

ippers wrote:Surely 1 half decent display means the left back problem is sorted :? I will be a bit worried that Joe will sign another striker rather than a left back (hopefully both tho) when we have had a problem there for yeras, seems a bit short sighted to me
no it's not sorted,although nothing against barron i'd rather see...(at the moment).....sito there and fabien at right back.

if a half decent left back was made available we surley would sign.......but disagree about our striker situation,i'd feel more confident if we had a centre forward who knows where the net is.

Riviera

Post by Riviera » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:21 am

Boss Joe Royle has confirmed that left-back Scott Barron will start Saturday's FA Cup third round tie at home to Portsmouth. Royle, the last English manager to win the trophy with Everton back in 1995, is keen for the Blues enjoy a rare cup run this season.

The Town manager was impressed with Barron's display at Stoke on Monday and is giving the 20-year-old a chance to prove himself after a year on the sidelines due to a groin injury.

Royle is considering his alternatives elsewhere in his side: "There are big decisions to make team-wise. We've got two young goalkeepers who both deserve to play. We've got a midfield who were brilliant at Stoke; do we stick with them or bring Jimmy Juan back in and Owen Garvan?

"The one place we haven't got options at the moment is up front where Danny Haynes is still our only fit forward. Dean McDonald is cup-tied, Dean Bowditch, Adam Proudlock, Nicky Forster and, of course, Sam Parkin all still unavailable."

Bowditch (hip) is expected to be fit for the Sheffield United game next week, while Forster (knee) is also in contention for that match. Proudlock aggravated his knee injury in his late appearance as a sub at Stoke.

Academy striker Billy Clarke is three weeks away from a return to training after dislocating his elbow in the reserve game at Portsmouth, while fellow young frontman Darryl Knights is set to make his return to training in the next fortnight after injuring his ankle in an U18 match with Arsenal last month.

The Blues continue to wait on Sito who is back in training after his ankle injury but it is hoped the Spaniard, who signed a new deal earlier this week, will be OK to play at right-back.

Fabian Wilnis limped out of training on Thursday after a heavy blow to his foot but has improved and is likely to be fit enough to be in contention. Richard Naylor, who may once again be considered for a striking role but only if Wilnis is fit, is back after serving a one-match suspension.

Lewis Price has missed the last three games due to a groin problem but a scan has shown it is not a serious injury. Shane Supple will standby to continue between the sticks.

New Norwegian signing Vemund Brekke Skard had been pencilled in to make his senior debut in the FA Cup match but is not yet fit enough after his groin operation. Skipper Jim Magilton is suffering with sciatica but is expected to be fit.

Town have failed to make much of an impression in either domestic cup in Joe Royle's time as manager, something he hopes to change this season: "We could do with a cup run, not just for the finance, I think it can raise morale amongst the fans. I'd love to have a cup run again, I'm very proud that I was the last English manager to win this little pot."

Portsmouth have welcomed a new joint-owner Alexandre Gaydamak and two new signings, Benjani Mwaruwari and Emmanuel Olisadebe, to the club this week. Nigerian-born Polish international striker Olisadebe is expected to make his debut at Portman Road but Zimbabwean Mwaruwari is awaiting a work permit.

Keeper Jamie Ashdown is out with a back problem and defender Linvoy Primus has a groin injury. Striker Vincent Pericard is back in training after a thigh strain.

Dejan Stefanovic (ankle) and Richard Hughes (hand) have both been playing despite injuries recently but may not be risked in the FA Cup with Pompey's priority Premiership survival. Despite this, Harry Redknapp is likely to field a strong side.

Saturday's referee is Premiership official Dermot Gallagher from Oxfordshire who has shown 58 yellow and six red cards in 23 games this season. Gallagher last took control of the Blues in the 2-1 win at Plymouth last January.

Squad: Barron, Currie, De Vos, Garvan, Haynes, Horlock, Juan, Magilton, Naylor, Price, Richards, Sito, Supple, Westlake, Williams, Wilnis.

burgesshillblue

Post by burgesshillblue » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:23 am

Joe is quoted as saying that Barron starts against Portsmouth which means either Sito is unfit or he's plaing Naylor up front !

Riviera

Post by Riviera » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:28 am

burgesshillblue wrote:Joe is quoted as saying that Barron starts against Portsmouth which means either Sito is unfit or he's plaing Naylor up front !
Joe is quoted as saying a lot of things, mostly complete bollox, a language he seems to be fluent in :lol:

ippers

Post by ippers » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:30 am

Joe is quoted as saying a lot of things, mostly complete bollox, a language he seems to be fluent in
such as we have the best midfield in the division :lol: