Defender attention

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

twinpeakes

Defender attention

Post by twinpeakes » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:14 am

Attention turns to loan defender
11 January 2006 | 13:41

IPSWICH manager Joe Royle confirmed today that he still has scope to bring in one loan player.

The Town boss revealed that his priority had switched to finding a young central defender who will put pressure on Jason De Vos and Richard Naylor.

uefacup81

Post by uefacup81 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:24 am

WTF!? We've only got enough money to bring in one loan player now!? What on earth happened to all the money that Sheepshanks said had been freed up? :evil:

Fully

Post by Fully » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:30 am

uefacup81 wrote:WTF!? We've only got enough money to bring in one loan player now!? What on earth happened to all the money that Sheepshanks said had been freed up? :evil:
That was rumours....Sheepshanks never actually came out and said oh we have £1.5m to spend. Maybe we are saving some for in the summer?

the-mole

Post by the-mole » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:31 am

uefacup81 wrote:WTF!? We've only got enough money to bring in one loan player now!? What on earth happened to all the money that Sheepshanks said had been freed up? :evil:
Sounds a bit funky - we still have scope to bring in one loan player??

This could be that it means we have loads of funds available - or quite simply if we scrape the bottom of the barrel we might be able to bring someone in???

A bit contradicting to sheepys statement regarding how we can invest in the playing side again. Why is it that Royle and Sheeps never quite sing off the same hymn sheet - i wonder............

Dazza

Post by Dazza » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:32 am

Contracts arent free, maybe some of the money has been budgeted for the extended contracts we've given out.

GavITFC

Post by GavITFC » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:46 am

Great so we release some of our "young" defenders only to go and loan a "young" defender in?!?!
Also has anybody else realised that we still don't have a decent left back? because I don't think BFJ or Sheepy have!!

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:47 am

Yes Dazza I was going to say that. From what I can see we have spent the following;

100k on Alan Lee plus wages for the rest of the season perhaps another 125k TOTAL COST around 225,000.

300k on Williams plus an unknown amount on wages since we don't know if they were part paid by WHU before so lets assume 50% for around 60k TOTAL 360,000

We can afford another loan for the rest of the season that could be up to 125,000

We have Sito now longer term but I assume someone was budgetted for his position already.

Haynes has signed a new contract lets assume additional 50k for this.

Total outgoings = 225,000 + 360,000 + 125,000 + 50,000 = 760,000

If Horlock goes in the window then I assume we can afford another loan if needs be.

We saved some money by releasing the 3 kids and sending Nash out on loan but I would be surprised if this saved more than 60k.

So in my estimate that makes around 700,000 so far this month.

Can't complain about that can we.

Also JR's comments may well mean that he is no longer looking for another forward.

Dazza

Post by Dazza » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:01 pm

Good points DB! Liking the maths!

Had another thought, maybe JR does have some extra cash laying but he doesnt want other clubs knowing...

jjlj_itfc4eva

Post by jjlj_itfc4eva » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:09 pm

Great so we release some of our "young" defenders only to go and loan a "young" defender in?!?!
Also has anybody else realised that we still don't have a decent left back? because I don't think BFJ or Sheepy have!!
Joe said that he has temporarily stopped looking for a left sided player because Scott Barron has been impressing

Ojc

Post by Ojc » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:16 pm

Lets just hope that Barron continues to play well.

Question to the guys that have seen Barron actually play, does he look more comftable than Richards at left back? Does he actually make tackles and close people down unlike Richards who would shy away and constantly back off attacking players.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:16 pm

The money "freed up" has gone on the wages of the young players Town have just offered two and three year deals to this week !! - without the re-negaotiation of our payments towards our debts any spare working capital I suspect would have been paid over to the bamnk - this is why

Joe hasnt been able to secure loan signings - cos we havent had the money to pay the wages - it's not all about "signing a player on" , but being able to afford the wages, which is the real long term commitment !

Mork

Post by Mork » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:08 pm

Erm. Loan players cost money.

Aluren

Post by Aluren » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:45 pm

Dazza wrote:Good points DB! Liking the maths!

Had another thought, maybe JR does have some extra cash laying but he doesnt want other clubs knowing...
Was going to say, has no one here ever played poker?

Kheffan

Post by Kheffan » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:48 am

Ojc wrote:Lets just hope that Barron continues to play well.

Question to the guys that have seen Barron actually play, does he look more comftable than Richards at left back? Does he actually make tackles and close people down unlike Richards who would shy away and constantly back off attacking players.
from what i can remember against Pompey he played well up until he was subbed in the second half, but most of pompeys play came down the right.

GavITFC

Post by GavITFC » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:59 am

jjlj_itfc4eva wrote:
Joe said that he has temporarily stopped looking for a left sided player because Scott Barron has been impressing
Excellant! i must admit i haven't seen Barron play for a while, can somebody who has seen him play let me know if he appears able to make the grade? would be great news if he can!

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Re: reply

Post by TODD66 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:51 pm

G'daddy wrote:
Ojc wrote:Lets just hope that Barron continues to play well.

from what i can remember against Pompey he played well up until he was subbed in the second half, but most of pompeys play came down the right.
He definately got better as the game went on.

At the start he looked like he didn't really want the ball, but Shane gave him no choice as he kept throwing the ball out to him :lol:

Once he decided he was going to do something positive with the ball when it arrived at his feet he did look a better player - confidence is the key and a run of games.

Hopefully this is not a false dawn, but only time will tell.