Alan Lee

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Dazza

Alan Lee

Post by Dazza » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:12 pm

So come on, what did people think of his first performance in a town shirt?

ippers

Post by ippers » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:21 pm

Waste of money :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:26 pm

a guy who rang into Suffolk Radio summed it up nicely I think , when he said Alan Lee had a great debut...he held the ball up well and took the pressure off our midfield and defence.

My opinion is similar to this but I would also like to add that I feel he has been the most effective "target man" we have had in a long while for his ability to keep the ball under physical pressure. I was amazed at times , how he still managed to keep the ball despite some hefty shoulder charges or underhand defending tactics by the Sheffield defenders.

He will IMHO be a BARGIN BUY of the season for Town - play him with either Haynes or Forster (should he ever be fit again :roll: )...and we will have a more than adequate strike partnership for the remainder of the season.

The key thing for me , is the effect his presence had on our midfield - they , for once, looked creative and were give time to get forward and support the strikers, by Lee's ability to hold up play.

Well done Alan Lee ! ...and Joe Royle for bringing him in !!!!

ippers

Post by ippers » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:29 pm

Gd post, I jsut feel we need a pacy striker i.e. Fuller just to play off him because although we played well and fought hard today, chnaces from open play are still few and far between, but Lee certainly played well especially as he was up alone for long periods against a physical defence, get a pacy player alongside him an we could find ourselves on a bit of a run :wink:

Dazza

Post by Dazza » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:34 pm

ippers wrote:Gd post, I jsut feel we need a pacy striker
He out ran every Sheffield United defender...

ippers

Post by ippers » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:37 pm

Wasn't implying hes slow, was hinting at the point he cant knock it on to himself, or wait for Currie to join up with the play :wink: hence our lack of shots from open play, with only Haynes' shot springing to mind

Bluebird

Post by Bluebird » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:22 pm

hallamblue wrote:a guy who rang into Suffolk Radio summed it up nicely I think , when he said Alan Lee had a great debut...he held the ball up well and took the pressure off our midfield and defence.

My opinion is similar to this but I would also like to add that I feel he has been the most effective "target man" we have had in a long while for his ability to keep the ball under physical pressure. I was amazed at times , how he still managed to keep the ball despite some hefty shoulder charges or underhand defending tactics by the Sheffield defenders.

He will IMHO be a BARGIN BUY of the season for Town - play him with either Haynes or Forster (should he ever be fit again :roll: )...and we will have a more than adequate strike partnership for the remainder of the season.

The key thing for me , is the effect his presence had on our midfield - they , for once, looked creative and were give time to get forward and support the strikers, by Lee's ability to hold up play.

Well done Alan Lee ! ...and Joe Royle for bringing him in !!!!
I agree HB, Lee impressed me with his strength, work rate and use of the ball. I only hope Joe plays a fit partner up front with him to benefit from all those quality knock downs.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:43 am

yer - would be nice wouldnt it !!

I actually cant wait for Town's next game v Saints....I was nearly right ref our result v SUFC...and I think can get something from the Siants game tbh!

Earl Blue

Post by Earl Blue » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:04 am

Well if Alan Lee can give us that sort of performance in most games
then I for one will be very very Happy.

Of course as Hallam & BB say we do need the right partner to
accept the knock downs..

Dazza

Post by Dazza » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:36 am

The only negative point I have is he didnt shoot... I dont know what it is about our forwards but we need someone who can get the ball and create something themself. This is why I think Haynes is going to be better than Bent, he is stupidly good at making chances and having a shot.

squiz18

Post by squiz18 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:11 am

For a player who has been at the club for 2 days he fit in really well. Once Westlake, williams and Richards know where hi flick ons will go then i think we will score more goals in open play. He isnt going to be prolifik but i think he will set quite a few up.

Luke

Post by Luke » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:36 am

I think he did very well held up the ball well, But its obvious he needs somebody to help him. Haynes IMO is not upto it atm That sitter he missed prooves it IMO
Parkin and Lee...
Or Lee and Forster...
Im looking forward to seeing how that goes

Bluebird

Post by Bluebird » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:41 am

Luke wrote:I think he did very well held up the ball well, But its obvious he needs somebody to help him. Haynes IMO is not upto it atm That sitter he missed prooves it IMO
Parkin and Lee...
Or Lee and Forster...
Bloody hell Luke, thats harsh mate! Kenny was all over him, and it was hardly a sitter, plus it looked on the telly like kenny got a finger tip to it!

At least he was up with play :wink:

Luke

Post by Luke » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:42 am

Bluebird wrote:
Luke wrote:I think he did very well held up the ball well, But its obvious he needs somebody to help him. Haynes IMO is not upto it atm That sitter he missed prooves it IMO
Parkin and Lee...
Or Lee and Forster...
Bloody hell Luke, thats harsh mate! Kenny was all over him, and it was hardly a sitter, plus it looked on the telly like kenny got a finger tip to it!

I dont see this great prospect everyone else sees with Haynes. For me he has alot of pace, With a little bit of control and no passing or Shooting ability what so ever. I hope he prooves me wrong. But asoon as Billy Clarke, Daryll Knights, Nicky Forster and Sam Parkin are fit i dont expect him to get a look in upfront

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:56 pm

Luke wrote:
Bluebird wrote:
Parkin and Lee...
Or Lee and Forster...

I dont see this great prospect everyone else sees with Haynes. For me he has alot of pace, With a little bit of control and no passing or Shooting ability what so ever. I hope he prooves me wrong. But asoon as Billy Clarke, Daryll Knights, Nicky Forster and Sam Parkin are fit i dont expect him to get a look in upfront
he's 17 years old !!!! time for improvement - and is already now ahead of DB IMO !

Luke

Post by Luke » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:41 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Luke wrote:
Bluebird wrote: Bloody hell Luke, thats harsh mate! Kenny was all over him, and it was hardly a sitter, plus it looked on the telly like kenny got a finger tip to it!

I dont see this great prospect everyone else sees with Haynes. For me he has alot of pace, With a little bit of control and no passing or Shooting ability what so ever. I hope he prooves me wrong. But asoon as Billy Clarke, Daryll Knights, Nicky Forster and Sam Parkin are fit i don t expect him to get a look in upfront
he's 17 years old !!!! time for improvement - and is already now ahead of DB IMO !
I know he is 17 but IMO prospects before him for this club and other have all had at least 2 outstanding qualitys. Name 2 for Haynes. All ive got so far is pace. He will be a good player. But he isnt the messiah people make him out to be