Forster Out Till April

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Himple

Forster Out Till April

Post by Himple » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:51 pm

Striker Nicky Forster will be out until April after undergoing his second cartilage operation of the season. Exploratory surgery earlier today revealed the extent of the problem.

Physio Dave Williams told the club site: "The surgeon found a tear in the medial cartilage and has had to remove some of the cartilage.

"He is out of hospital now and will begin his rehab almost immediately, but it will take longer than normal because more of the cartilage has been removed.

"At the moment we are probably looking at Fozzie being out for around two months. Hopefully, he will be back for April."

Forster has been out of action since limping off in the first half of Town's game at Hull in late December.
Great :roll:

ippers

Post by ippers » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:00 pm

Predictable :lol:

Ojc

Post by Ojc » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:32 pm

Time to cut our loses, get him sacked. I had great time for him and stuck up for him, seen him for Reading many a times on local news and at various games I attended and he was superb, gave his all for Reading, albeit injured a lot but now he is just taking the proverbial p*ss he really is, I know its not his fault but we haven't the resources to keep a player that can play 2 or 3 games then be injured for 3 to 4 months, its a luxury we cannot afford.

Must be one of the top earners at Portman Road as well.

Mork

Post by Mork » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:04 pm

Ojc wrote:Time to cut our loses, get him sacked. I had great time for him and stuck up for him, seen him for Reading many a times on local news and at various games I attended and he was superb, gave his all for Reading, albeit injured a lot but now he is just taking the proverbial p*ss he really is, I know its not his fault but we haven't the resources to keep a player that can play 2 or 3 games then be injured for 3 to 4 months, its a luxury we cannot afford.

Must be one of the top earners at Portman Road as well.
You cannot sack someone on a professional salary because of Injury. You could potentially offer some kind of settlement deal to pay him off, but odds on, it'd cost you as much as keeping him on the books. If we tried it, he'd drag us through court and we've had no defense, and have to pay through the nose - plus we'd put every decent player there is, off ever signing for us.

Why do you think we have a contract system, as opposed to paying players on a pay-to-play basis - not many would consider it a viable career otherwise!

Nicky Forster has done nothing wrong here, and he shouldn't be punished. Jo Royle signed the guy, he took the risk, and it's his fault if it hasnt worked out - which it hasnt.

Jonno

Post by Jonno » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:07 pm

Shame :roll: And he was playing so well for us aswell :lol:

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:06 pm

Look on the bright side, he must surely be nearly out of cartilage by now to have removed so problem solved :wink:

Of course this may have its drawbacks as well as it may slow him up a bit having to run without bending his knees :shock: :lol:

Mork

Post by Mork » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:28 am

TODD66 wrote:Look on the bright side, he must surely be nearly out of cartilage by now to have removed so problem solved :wink:

Of course this may have its drawbacks as well as it may slow him up a bit having to run without bending his knees :shock: :lol:
I'm so glad people find so much humour in a guys career coming to an end due to a physical injury that he could have done nothing about. I hope nothing similar ever happens to your good self, and if it does, that those around you are a little bit more supportive.

the-mole

Post by the-mole » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:19 am

Mork wrote:
TODD66 wrote:Look on the bright side, he must surely be nearly out of cartilage by now to have removed so problem solved :wink:

I'm so glad people find so much humour in a guys career coming to an end due to a physical injury that he could have done nothing about. I hope nothing similar ever happens to your good self, and if it does, that those around you are a little bit more supportive.
Mork - sometimes I think you could do with just lightening up - just a little chap!!!!

I think we are all agreed in that no-one here wishes any human being let alone one of our players to be suffering from injury. However this hasn't exactly been the best of seasons so far and pre-season we all had high hopes for both Parkin and Forster - unfortunately both have been out for most of the campaign and left us very short in attack.

Humour is a human response to help deal with bad news. Whenever there is a disaster - there normally follows jokes related to it. We all know these jokes are wrong - but it shows the human ability to "bounce back".

I personally have suffered with very bad shoulders for the past 10 years and I am the grand old age of 25!!! No doubt in another 15 years I will probably have bad athritis in one or both of them - I won't be looking for sympathy and knowing me I will be joking about it as my way of dealing with it.

Forsters career might be coming to and end - so why doesn't he do the decent thing and hang up the boots and save us some cash. I am quite sure the club would be better off financially. Yes it isn't forsters fault - but hey in the greater scheme of things what is more important - one player or the club????

Mork

Post by Mork » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:21 am

the-mole wrote:
Mork wrote:

Mork - sometimes I think you could do with just lightening up - just a little chap!!!!

I think we are all agreed in that no-one here wishes any human being let alone one of our players to be suffering from injury. However this hasn't exactly been the best of seasons so far and pre-season we all had high hopes for both Parkin and Forster - unfortunately both have been out for most of the campaign and left us very short in attack.

Humour is a human response to help deal with bad news. Whenever there is a disaster - there normally follows jokes related to it. We all know these jokes are wrong - but it shows the human ability to "bounce back".

I personally have suffered with very bad shoulders for the past 10 years and I am the grand old age of 25!!! No doubt in another 15 years I will probably have bad athritis in one or both of them - I won't be looking for sympathy and knowing me I will be joking about it as my way of dealing with it.

Forsters career might be coming to and end - so why doesn't he do the decent thing and hang up the boots and save us some cash. I am quite sure the club would be better off financially. Yes it isn't forsters fault - but hey in the greater scheme of things what is more important - one player or the club????
Hmm - what are we talking about worthy self sacrifice for some noble ideal? Sod the need to earn a wage, feed and look after his family, he's got an injury, so he should take the fall and go onto the poverty line???

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:52 am

Mork wrote:

Lighten up fella and get a sense of humour -

I know exactly how he feels and would like to be in his position where it can be fixed at the drop of a hat rather than wondering each day if it is going to hurt / ache/ seize up completely or work the way it used to before I injured it.

As I am not a pro sportsman it does not effect my career, but I could do without it

and yes it is sad to see Fozzie with this problem, and hopefully he will recover, but if he doesn't it will be sad, but I aint going to cry over it.

ippers

Post by ippers » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:57 am

Point is hes picking up 5k a week most probably, for doing pretty much sod all when actually fit (ignoring the fact hes injured most of the time), how can he possibly justify that sort of salary? Obviously the club and Royle take the blame for actually offering him the contract, but you cant blame the fans (not including Rossi :lol: ) who earn a pittance compared to him being cynical towards his long list of injuries :wink:

StanstedBlue

Post by StanstedBlue » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:05 am

The way he's been since we signed him he'd be better off with artificial legs, like those ones that Leiutenant Dan had in Forrest Gump :lol: :lol: . Even if he is ready in April, he won't be match fit so doubt we'll see him again this season. He is just a "sicknote".

Ojc

Post by Ojc » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:21 am

the-mole wrote: Forsters career might be coming to and end - so why doesn't he do the decent thing and hang up the boots and save us some cash. I am quite sure the club would be better off financially. Yes it isn't forsters fault - but hey in the greater scheme of things what is more important - one player or the club????
Thats exactly what I was trying to get at.

the-mole

Post by the-mole » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:03 am

Mork wrote: Hmm - what are we talking about worthy self sacrifice for some noble ideal? Sod the need to earn a wage, feed and look after his family, he's got an injury, so he should take the fall and go onto the poverty line???
Man come on get with the program!!!

For your information just about all footballers have a pension with the FA which would p*ss on our state or company pensions combined. If he were to retire early I am pretty sure he would receive some sort of payout as well - although not as much as playing top level footy for the next few seasons.

Now also add to the fact that he has been playing a very good level of football for the past 12 years - and he is hardly living life on the breadline is he??? Which is probably more than can be said for alot of ITFC fans!!!

I hardly think he will "go into the poverty line" - the points we are trying to make is that he isn't FIT to play in this team (injury status clearly backs that idea up). So from a fans perspective I would much rather get rid of him and use the wages elsewhere.

The question of do I care??? Well to be honest with you most footballers don't lay there at night worrying how hard life is for the fans - so I shall just give them the same treatment. Most of them are over paid prima donnas who believe they are better than most fans, yet most struggle with the basic concept of living in the real world.

Whilst I don't like to see people come up against hardship - I can't say I would ever lose sleep to see footballers fall flat on their arse when they are presented with the opportunities to create a good lifestyle for themselves.

Anglo-Saxon

Post by Anglo-Saxon » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:07 am

I'm sure players are insured, which covers all costs (neally) wages included.

raggyjan

Post by raggyjan » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:10 pm

[quote="StanstedBlue"]The way he's been since we signed him he'd be better off with artificial legs, like those ones that Leiutenant Dan had in Forrest Gump :lol: :lol: . Even if he is ready in April, he won't be match fit so doubt we'll see him again this season. He is just a "sicknote".[/

quote] stan blue, forrest gump quip,absolutely priceless.