Ashton for wet spam last night....

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Ashton for wet spam last night....

Post by hallamblue » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:44 am

Did anyone else think he looked poor. I thought he was very slow , wandered around looking "lost" and had little impact on the game ....dare I say ....."out of his depth" ??? :shock:

Earl Blue

Post by Earl Blue » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:54 am

Totaly agree Hallam...

ippers

Post by ippers » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:57 am

Was poor last night but has done quite well since he has been there IMO

Number 9

Post by Number 9 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:03 pm

I'm still baffled about Pardew paying so much for him. West Ham already have a point-man in the form of Harewood, I thought. I had to laugh at the commentator's comments when he compared Ashton to Shearer...what a joke! No, if anything I think Ashton is an average striker who occasionally gets a run of above average performances...that's all! Speaking of last night's game, what a cockup by Nicky Hunt...bloody useless!!! :lol:

squiz18

Post by squiz18 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:07 pm

Number 9 wrote:I'm still baffled about Pardew paying so much for him. West Ham already have a point-man in the form of Harewood, I thought. I had to laugh at the commentator's comments when he compared Ashton to Shearer...what a joke! No, if anything I think Ashton is an average striker who occasionally gets a run of above average performances...that's all! Speaking of last night's game, what a cockup by Nicky Hunt...bloody useless!!! :lol:

I blame the Keeper for that OG ! Hunt was clearly putting the ball wide before the keeper diverted it into the net ! Still pretty funny though !

As for ashton i think he is a quality striker. Bent used to go mising for games on end ! Cant wait till luke reads this he loves ashton!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:26 am

squiz18 wrote:
Number 9 wrote:I'm still baffled about Pardew paying so much for him. West Ham already have a point-man in the form of Harewood, I thought. I had to laugh at the commentator's comments when he compared Ashton to Shearer...what a joke! No, if anything I think Ashton is an average striker who occasionally gets a run of above average performances...that's all! Speaking of last night's game, what a cockup by Nicky Hunt...bloody useless!!! :lol:

I blame the Keeper for that OG ! Hunt was clearly putting the ball wide before the keeper diverted it into the net ! Still pretty funny though !

As for ashton i think he is a quality striker. Bent used to go mising for games on end ! Cant wait till luke reads this he loves ashton!
:D :lol: :lol:

Riviera

Post by Riviera » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:30 am

well i thought ashton played quite well, his problem is he drops so deep to collect the ball it looks like hes not doing much, but he has a very good 1st touch and his awareness of players around him is very good

having said that..........................he is an Ex scummer and is never england quality despite what pardew says

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:32 am

Riviera wrote:well i thought ashton played quite well, his problem is he drops so deep to collect the ball it looks like hes not doing much, but he has a very good 1st touch and his awareness of players around him is very good

having said that..........................he is an Ex scummer and is never england quality despite what pardew says
well how can you trust a man thats just handed over£7m + for a very good Fizzy league - but "average" prem player " !! :wink:

Luke

Post by Luke » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:18 am

Ashtons a quality player end of.
He will out score Bent next season who will struggle to even get in doubble figures!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:23 am

Luke wrote:Ashtons a quality player end of.
He will out score Bent next season who will struggle to even get in doubble figures!
:lol: time will tell - as they say ! :wink:

monstermunch

Post by monstermunch » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:57 am

Number 9 wrote:I had to laugh at the commentator's comments when he compared Ashton to Shearer...what a joke!
Erm, it't BBC TV sport. Of course the commentators have no idea.

budgiebasher

Post by budgiebasher » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:13 am

monstermunch wrote:
Number 9 wrote:I had to laugh at the commentator's comments when he compared Ashton to Shearer...what a joke!
Erm, it't BBC TV sport. Of course the commentators have no idea.
The same commentators who spent 10 minutes thinking John Arne Riise's shot broke Alan Smith leg, despite clearly seeing it was his other leg which was straped up. :roll:

squiz18

Post by squiz18 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:57 pm

Well Ashton tonight for wet spam was pretty good. His 2 goals saw West ham through to the semis of the FA cup. His second was a tap in but the first was very well taken.

Phil

Post by Phil » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:17 pm

he looked good tonight definatly someone that deserved a 7mil price tag :o :(

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:39 am

Phil wrote:he looked good tonight definatly someone that deserved a 7mil price tag :o :(
yep I'd agree with that (he looked good)...but not worth £7m though !!

He needs someone with him who has pace (Harewood ...or Bent ! at England level)...he's very dangerous in and around the box..but lacks that all important pace to be a success at prem level..unless he's pared with a speedy front man

Tim

Post by Tim » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:13 am

Blatently not!!

Bent is 10 times the play Ashton will ever be

Bent = Good

Ashton = Over rated!!

Luke

Post by Luke » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:47 am

hallamblue wrote:
Phil wrote:he looked good tonight definatly someone that deserved a 7mil price tag :o :(

He needs someone with him who has pace (Harewood ...or Bent ! at England level)...he's very dangerous in and around the box..but lacks that all important pace to be a success at prem level..unless he's pared with a speedy front man
Allan Shearer, Teddy Sheringham, Andy Cole, Dwight Yorke, Nial Quinn, Kevin Phillips, The list is endless...
All these players where or are top strikers in the top divison all of them reciveing honours for there countrys. But lacked "that all important pace"
Ashton is actually a fairly speedy player. Deceptivly so!
I would rather see him then Defoe in the england squad at the world cup, He is a old fashioned centre forward. Left foot Right foot Head! he scores them all! And all sorts of goals! Something which cannot be said of your pal Bent :lol: This is what makes him a quality player, The Next Allan Shearer!

Luke

Post by Luke » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:47 am

Tim wrote:
Blatently not!!

Bent = Good

Ashton = Over rated!!
I like your blue tinted glasses Tim :lol:

Anglo-Saxon

Post by Anglo-Saxon » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:56 am

Luke wrote:
Tim wrote:
Blatently not!!

Bent = Good

Ashton = Over rated!!
I like your blue tinted glasses Tim :lol:
I agree with Luke, Bent was nothing special IMHO

the-mole

Post by the-mole » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:56 pm

Luke wrote:
hallamblue wrote:

Allan Shearer, Teddy Sheringham, Andy Cole, Dwight Yorke, Nial Quinn, Kevin Phillips, The list is endless...
All these players where or are top strikers in the top divison all of them reciveing honours for there countrys. But lacked "that all important pace"
I would rather see him then Defoe in the england squad at the world cup, He is a old fashioned centre forward. Left foot Right foot Head! he scores them all! And all sorts of goals! Something which cannot be said of your pal Bent :lol: This is what makes him a quality player, The Next Allan Shearer!
I agree in principle Luke - but you can't deny that Yorke and Cole both had pace.....once!!!

However in Cole's case he developed his game and became more than just a pacy forward!!

Marcus Stewart was a prime example of a striker who lacked pace, yet managed to be in the right place at the right time.

Ashton is an awesome player and just before Narwich bought him I was hoping they would buy Bent so we could buy Ashton. Bent is a one trick pony, yes he can score goals, but he is overly reliant on pace!!!

Next season he will be found wanting. Ashton will go from strength to strength IMO. He had a good grounding at Crewe and by all accounts didn't make noise about wanting to move to a bigger club - unlike a certain Mr Bent who couldn't jump ship quick enough!! 8)

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:23 pm

the-mole wrote:
Luke wrote:
hallamblue wrote: yep I'd agree with that (he looked good)...but not worth £7m though !!

I agree in principle Luke - but you can't deny that Yorke and Cole both had pace.....once!!!

However in Cole's case he developed his game and became more than just a pacy forward!!

Marcus Stewart was a prime example of a striker who lacked pace, yet managed to be in the right place at the right time.

Ashton is an awesome player and just before Narwich bought him I was hoping they would buy Bent so we could buy Ashton. Bent is a one trick pony, yes he can score goals, but he is overly reliant on pace!!!

Next season he will be found wanting. Ashton will go from strength to strength IMO. He had a good grounding at Crewe and by all accounts didn't make noise about wanting to move to a bigger club - unlike a certain Mr Bent who couldn't jump ship quick enough!! 8)
there's a lot of truth in what both of you are saying- maybe it's because I can still that yella shirt on his back that sways me .....I DO think Ashton's game was stiffled and lacked progression whilst he was at narwich..he will get better at wet spam (who like it or not - appear to be like the west ham of old interms of playing good football)..I was very impressed with Ashton v Man City..and I will admit he 's gone up in my estimation- however he does look like he will always need a a strike partner that has pace, alongside him. I dont think he has any himself....what he does have is "power" - you wont shake him off the ball easily.

I actually think him and Bent would make an ideal partnership - you get he best of both worlds - but Bent and Ashton are different types of player..and as you say Benty maybe slightly one dimensional..but as long as he has his pace he'll be a problem for defenders.It will be interesting to watch how both these players develop - I think DB has improved since he's been in the prem league..and thats less than a season isnt it !