Fifa takes tough stance on racism

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Riviera

Fifa takes tough stance on racism

Post by Riviera » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:25 am

Fifa is to use match suspensions, points deductions and disqualification from competitions as possible punishments against acts of racism.
Clubs face being deducted three points for a first offence, six for a second and relegation for further offences.

Member associations failing to implement them face being banned from international football for two years.

"Recent events have demonstrated there is a need for concerted action," said Fifa president Sepp Blatter.

"I have repeatedly stressed Fifa's and my firm personal stance against racism and discrimination."

And he pledged "more severe measures to be adopted in order to kick this evil out of the beautiful game".

Cameroon international and Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o has been a victim of persistent racial abuse in La Liga.

He recently had to be stopped from walking off the pitch after receiving abuse during a game against Real Zaragoza.

Zaragoza were fined just £6,000 by the Spanish Football Federation.

Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand also recently stated football's authorities had to take a tougher stance against the problem.

French international Lilian Thuram gave a testimony to the Fifa meeting on Thursday.

Fifa spokesman Andreas Herren said: "The new rules take effect essentially as soon as we can notify the associations by way of a letter.

"It's not going to take a long time. It applies to all competitions throughout the world at any level. All matches of all types are covered."
bout bloody time!!

uefacup81

Post by uefacup81 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:36 am

Yes, the measures are now going to be put in place, but will anyone enforce them properly or strictly enough? :?

crazee

Post by crazee » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:35 pm

im fairly sure they will have to because i heard that FIFA will ban nations from playing international football if they dont

Anglo-Saxon

Post by Anglo-Saxon » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:41 pm

crazee wrote:im fairly sure they will have to because i heard that FIFA will ban nations from playing international football if they dont
I doubt that, FIFA have nothing to do with europian domestic games, well they have never done any thing in the past as it's up to the UEFA.

Riviera

Post by Riviera » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:19 pm

Anglo

UEFA still have to answer to FIFA, FIFA are the sports governing body, the reason FIFA have had to take action is because UEFA are not capable of making tough decisions

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:05 pm

Having been in Madrid for the Spain- England friendly and witnessing first hand the racial abuse Ashley Cole and Sean Wright-Phillips were subjected to then all I can say is about bloody time! :evil:

Aza-itfc

Post by Aza-itfc » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:44 am

It has taken too long for this decision to be made.

Th damage has been done and the fact world class players are wanting to walk off the field of play because of them is appauling and reveals that those £300 fines really effected the clubs.

But, the bottom line is, this matter shouldn't have even arised. There's is no excuse for that sort of behaivour

monstermunch

Post by monstermunch » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:07 am

I think also a few officials of the Spanish and Italian FA's need a kick up the arse. "It's just like this in England".

Like f*ck it is...

Number 9

Post by Number 9 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:18 am

This is a very sensitive subject indeed. However, I'm not sure if FIFA has made the right decision. There definitley needs to be some sort of action taken to stamp out the ignorance that seemingly remains in society. Punishing the club as a whole is a start, but more importantly lets punish the individuals. It should be every fan's responsibility to report racial abuse from the stalls. Consequently, those found guilty of racism should be banned for life, fined or even incarcerated. With that said, clubs should be allowed the opportunity to punish their own fans first, before FIFA takes action against the team. I'm concerned that certain malicious fans may attempt to disrupt games just to instigate trouble for the team. Further, the majority of fans are not racist, so why punish the majority for a few ignorant minorities? Let's punish the racists, first!

Aza-itfc

Post by Aza-itfc » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:21 am

Punishing the club has two impacts IMO:

1) The club has a greater impulse to act on their fans. Making clubs play behind closed doors and financial difficulties can cause fans to clean themselves of racist opinions.

2) Innocent fans are also more inclined to report racists within the stands if they will be punished for someone elses actiosn.

Overall I have always made my opinions clear and make sure I think people are in the wrong for being racist. Even if it is just a tap on the shoulder and told to shut up.

the-mole

Post by the-mole » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:03 pm

Tough one this - whilst something needed to be done - it needed to happen a while back. Any football player, manager, official or club representative should be given Life bans for a start. Football icons/role models are the first people who should be trying to set a good example.

We all know what happened in spain because of their caveman like coach!

Then fans should be punished and banned for life. England and the UK in general is quite possibly one of the best places to watch football without the violence and abuse often found in other european destinations!!!

It will be interesting to see what action anyone takes if anything happens!

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:59 am

I wonder if FIFA will stick to their promise or bottle it with this one!
Messina defender Marc Zoro has called on Fifa to act on the racist abuse he has twice suffered from Inter Milan fans this season.
The Ivory Coast-born star was again subject to whistles and jeers in Milan on Saturday.

"I'm not happy," he said. "They shouted all sorts of things at me and you could hear what happened when I touched the ball - it is a disgrace.

"Fans must realise what they're doing. I hope Fifa carry out their plans."

Fifa, world football's governing body, recently announced plans to implement match suspensions, points deductions and disqualification from competitions for acts of racism.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:44 pm

Well I also am not sure that what FIFA are doing is right but at least they are doing something. Time will tell whether it is going to work or need adjustment but now at least the writing is on the wall for these so called fans, not to mention some pretty unsavoury coaches and players for that matter.

monstermunch

Post by monstermunch » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:22 am

Zoro was the guy who tried to walk off in their fixture in Messina because of Inter's racisim. Inter fans get their revenge at the San Siro.

Strange, then, that they cheer goals by Martins and Adriano? Not just scum, they're hyppocrites as well.