Replace Royle?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluebird

Re: Replace Royle?

Post by Bluebird » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:34 am

Adi wrote:is it time to let Royle go?
A reasonable question me thinks. Is Royle a good manager or a lucky one? Lets not forget his mistifying decisions earlier in the season, and he has allowed his teams to be unprofessional, and has failed to deal with an inability to defend as a team over a three year period. I personally blame him for our failure to secure promotion last season, he should have dropped Bent and others, when they were out of form and didn't give a sh*t, and he signed Currie :wink: Has he chosen to blood the youngsters, or was it forced on him through injuries and sh*te results when his first choice midfield of Currie, Horlock and Magilton crashed and burned?

I am honestly impressed with the current team spirit, but is that down to him? Or has the infectious enthusasm of the youngsters swept over the first team squad? If we hold on to these young gems, we may have a real chance next season.

Is Royle the man to make the best of that chance? I guess we'll have to hope so. Come on you blues! :wink:

tractorboy4life

Post by tractorboy4life » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:00 am

give him next season and if he fluffs up get in a younger,hungrier manager(sir bobby???) :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:51 am

I think the defining moment for Town last season was the injury to Kuqi

We lost him for a month (February) and as soon as he was out of the team we didnt win a single match - in fact we lost those home "certs" (at the time) to Watford and QPR..and we drew at Preston and lost to Wigan.

You could see the confidence evapourate from the side once the marauding Kuqi was not there to chase the lost cause or hassle the opposition defences witless!

We simply didnt have anyone else to bring into replace him...also Bent had "gone" to Charlton in every way bar actual bodly form...and was far from the form player he was earlier in the season. Im not tto sure JR could have done anything about either of those two situations.

Next season -granted we are not as "experienced" but I feel the quality is far above that team you speak of a couple seasons ago. The squad Joe will have at his disposal next season - still hasnt had a chance to have a run of games together primarily due to striker injuries.........no ! I am of the opinion that given a touch of lady luck (which all good promotion chasing sides must have) on the injury front ...I think if Town have a full compliment of players fit and available for selection for the majority of games next season- I dont see too many teams holding a candle to us frankly !! :wink:

Mork

Post by Mork » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:05 pm

As I have made clear several times, I think now is the time ripe for a change - I wouldnt entertain paying Royle off however, particuarly as he only has one season left on contract. I'd prefer he just quit and let us start afresh - that probably isn't going to happen however.

Luke

Post by Luke » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:09 pm

Mork wrote:
As I have made clear several times, I think now is the time ripe for a change - I wouldnt entertain paying Royle off however, particuarly as he only has one season left on contract. I'd prefer he just quit and let us start afresh - that probably isn't going to happen however.
Agreed

Earl Blue

Post by Earl Blue » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:56 pm

My thoughts are quite simple..

If next year is to be our challenge to reach the dizzy heights of the
premiership, should we not see the 2006/2007 season a
transitional one, i.e. New Manager coming in at some point to
relieve Joe at some stage. i.e. Niv smooth takeover.

Perhaps ITFC may have taken this into consideration.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:16 pm

I definately think the board shoud be looking to replace Joe when his contract expires at the end of next season.
There is no doubt that the job he took on was not the one he thought it was going to be (ie: I'm sure if he knew what the true financial situation was at the club when he was offered the position he may have very well turned it down).
In the circumstances he has has done quite a good job. However, having said that you also have to question some of his decisions, especially regarding the failure to deal with the problems in defence (his policy of if we concede 2 we can score 3 was never going to get us promoted).
Even now he seems more interested in signing a striker for next season than getting another central defender in.
Therefore Joe , thanks for steering us through troubled waters but it is time to start looking for somebody else to captain the ship.

squiz18

Post by squiz18 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:44 pm

I think Royle deserves next season here at least. He has built this team ( for the 3rd time in 3 years ) Out of pretty much nothing. I think next season we will see what it can do. Hopefully it will be promotion and then Royle will deserve another contract and a shot at the premiership. If next season we dont get promotion then maybe it will be time for the phil parkinsons or Adrian Boothroyds to be put in charge for the long term and take the club further forward after a great job that Royle has done.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:03 am

Shed on tour wrote:I definately think the board shoud be looking to replace Joe when his contract expires at the end of next season.
There is no doubt that the job he took on was not the one he thought it was going to be (ie: I'm sure if he knew what the true financial situation was at the club when he was offered the position he may have very well turned it down).
In the circumstances he has has done quite a good job. However, having said that you also have to question some of his decisions, especially regarding the failure to deal with the problems in defence (his policy of if we concede 2 we can score 3 was never going to get us promoted).
Even now he seems more interested in signing a striker for next season than getting another central defender in.
Therefore Joe , thanks for steering us through troubled waters but it is time to start looking for somebody else to captain the ship.
Shed I'm sure I read in the local rag over the last week that Royle stated that next seasons "priority signing" would be a young btweny something central defender !!

Wizessor

Give him a chance

Post by Wizessor » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:12 pm

If I remember rightly we lost Bent, Kuqi, Miller and Davis last summer....probably our best players and not all of them for fees either!
So I'm kinduv wondering if the board are bigger villains than Royle!
Give him next season to prove what he can do - I'm personally grateful for him staving off relegation this season....don't tell me u weren't worried too!