de vos

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

itfc76trev

de vos

Post by itfc76trev » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:56 pm

i have just heard on sky sports news that de vos has signed extension until 2008. that is good news your thoughts please

squiz18

Post by squiz18 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:43 pm

Can only be a good thing. He has been a rock all season, has brought naylor on leaps and bounds and can definitely do the same for Baron and casement. With him being 32 its a shame he isnt 4 years younger, but maybe in a few seasons time he can become a squad player and lend his expereince to the next wave of younger players too.

vaalae

Post by vaalae » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:29 pm

Hmmmm I'll rock the blat - not so sure - I'm worried that he'll be getting a bit slow then, he wants to finish his career here (alledgedly!!) so I would have prefered to see how he was going mid season then open negotaitions - he's an old fella now so might be creaking a bit - Im worried about the Jim effect - great one season, rubbish the next. I think we should tread carefully when it comes to older players - looks like in 2 years time we will have roughly the same defense as the one now with Bam Bam, De V and Fab signing - I can't see them getting any quicker thats all......

burgesshillblue

Post by burgesshillblue » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:59 am

Can't see him playing in the Prem though, just too slow.

crikes

Post by crikes » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:54 am

He's only 32 that not too old for a centre half. I think he has been superb this season. It's brilliant he ahs signed a two year agreement - we need his experience and I believe he will be a very good club captain next season.

twinpeakes

Post by twinpeakes » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:33 am

would have preferred a 1 year extension, with a club option for a 2nd. I'd still like to see an experienced 25-27 defender year old come in to help this team.

DeIpswich

Post by DeIpswich » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:41 am

I think it's evident we could do with investing in mid-20's centre back over the summer. But I think De Vos signing for another 2 years is brilliant. I think he's been very very good this season! Fair enough he's losing a bit of speed, but what he lacks in speed he makes up in heading and his general knowledge of the game - and he's cleaned up the 'clumsy' mistakes we saw from him last season.

It's obvious he isn't a Premiership centre back, but I think he's a very good Championship centre back! And to be honest I'd much rather he'd have signed a contract extension than Wilnis (that's if I had the choice)

itfc_80

Post by itfc_80 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:25 pm

Look at the age of some Prem defenders, they are still kicking it (excuse the pun :lol: ) at the age of 34+. I'm sure JDV at 32 still has a lot to offer for the club.

Solid player this season, can only get better...i hope :D

truefan2005

Post by truefan2005 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:29 pm

He has been very good this season and the extension of the contract can only be a good thing

Reetpetite

Re: de vos

Post by Reetpetite » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:26 am

itfc76trev wrote:i have just heard on sky sports news that de vos has signed extension until 2008. that is good news your thoughts please
I agree, it's very good news. He's been a rock this season and gets my 'Player of the Year' vote.

tractor_girl1978

Post by tractor_girl1978 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:49 am

Well the fella has done well this year. He has great tactical awareness and him and Naylor are my first choices as centrebacks for next season. Very good news for Town.

I know that people are moaning about the age of our defenders But you only need to look at the Aresnal team in the 90's with Adams, Dixon, Winterburn and Keown at the back Ok there were getting on a bit but what they replaced speed with was tactical awareness and general understanding of each other and they hardly let any goals in.