MARKO ....... You never even mentioned this last week LOL

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

MARKO ....... You never even mentioned this last week LOL

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:11 am

THE LOONS ARE STAYING UP !!!!!!!
Jim Weir had a points total in mind that would keep Forfar up.

And even though the survival job has been completed, he still wants to hit it.

The Loons are currently three points short of Weir’s target, which they are looking to put right this afternoon against Queen’s Park, whose need for the win is even greater as the three-way fight to stay in League One gets reduced to two.

“Having a look at previous years I had 37 in my mind as the total that would keep us off the bottom and maybe out of the play-off as well,” Weir revealed.

“We’re on 34 and we still want to get there and hopefully past it.

“To be safe with two games to go is really pleasing.

“You don’t start out the season wanting to be third bottom but in the circumstances it is a real achievement.”

Weir, who may have to do without Mark Millar again because of work commitments, won’t be easing off in their last two fixtures.

He said: “First of all, we’ve got to be fair to Albion Rovers, who are fighting with Queen’s Park to avoid automatic relegation.

“And it’s not as if we have a huge squad anyway.

“One player who I would like to get game-time for over the last couple of games is Jack Allan, a young midfielder who deserves a chance.”

Weir has held “initial talks” regarding his budget next season but he pointed out that it won’t be a “huge rebuild” at Station Park.

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: MARKO ....... You never even mentioned this last week LOL

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:16 am

:lol: Didnt read this!

Is this Jim Weir adopting his “oh yeah I knew this would happen” attitude!

Well done those Loon-a-tics. Big games v Dumbarton next season. And let me tell you, not a nice atmosphere at Dumbarton. Even the mighty Hibernian were shown no respect! :lol:

I have Raith today in my accumulator but good luck to Forfar v QP.

Off to ER for the Cabbage v Mingin Weegiez!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:00 pm

That’s some fight going on at the other end of the table, Mike. I have been intentionally staying away from Ayr on the coupon because they’ve been chucking some results of late. Today v Alloa? They win that and all they need to do is take care of Albion @ Somerset Park next week for the title. Now they’ve got to rely on Alloa doing something @ Raith? Just can’t see that happening. I think Dumbarton will take care of Ayr United if that becomes the Play-Off Final.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:46 pm

I couldnt believe that either Marko, Ayr have pissed it away I think. You think Dumbarton would beat them ? I can't imagine Dumbarton being any cop tbh. Next season in League One could have all Four Angus teams in it which would be brill.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:56 pm

Yep Brechin going down, Montrose possibly coming up? That was a gutsy win v Stenny for them yesterday. The pressure is immensely on Montrose next week but a draw will do v Elgin....... But I’d put my mortgage on Peterhead beating Edinburgh.

What’s the betting on Brechin doing the double relegation?! :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:43 pm

Mortgage Safe. :D

Confirmed today......four Angus teams in League One. Early predictions on the order they’ll individually finish?

I’ll say:
Arbroath
Brechin
Forfar
Montrose.

Could change after summer dealings, but I do think Montrose will finish rock bottom.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:11 pm

Arbroath could yet win the play offs

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:42 pm

True, but no mortgage going on that.

Fancy Raith v Dumbarton final and Dumbarton retaining their position.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:30 am

Saw it read that Brechin City are going to go an entire season without a league win - that is 36 (thirty-six) games without a single victory over an opposition team. Can't remember such a thing since the days of Third Lanark around the time they became defunct.

Contrast this with Celtic on the verge of another SPL Championship at Ibrox Stadium tomorrow and some seven consecutive season wins. Feel sorry for Brechin in a sense, you can see an element of humor in it, but they're on the verge of some unwanted distinction. Teams going unbeaten for the duration of a season are rare enough, but not to win a single game ? Quite an achievement there : albeit for the wrong reasons.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:35 pm

And the champions, (who were convincingly defeated by Hibs last week) certainly won it in style v Sevco today.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:20 am

Yes I got news of it sometime earlier. You can't win a Championship in better style than that. Strathclyde Police would have been kept busy you'd imagine but hopefully incidents were few and far between.

Maybe not as unfair a league as previous years and Aberdeen continue to impress, but seriously there's little in the way of competition there. Still a win's a win, take it however it comes.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:57 am

The most relaxing day for years for the Strathclyde Police. Sevco fans were in their house raiding the drinks cabinet and battering the dog by the 60th minute.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:56 pm

Marko....This is an great article, well for me it is anyway as that is the time when I started following the Loons as my second team, simply because they were the worst team in Britain.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football ... -1-4731180

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:10 pm

Absolutely superb, thanks for posting. For the record, (in case anyone else wants to read this) ......, for some reason the link doesn't work on my computer but its ok on my phone.

I love Scottish football history, I have quite a few books on it. Articles that speak of the 70's are superb. The part about the one fan shouting at Kyles every home game, (remembers Hopcroft) who stood in the same place every game. He went back there only a few years ago and grabbed him and said, "Remember me you bstd?" :lol: That is pure comedy gold. Great article. I am first and foremost a Hibernian supporter but I do love ALL areas of the Scottish game, I really do. Back in the early 90s, I worked in Montrose for a few months on a new housing estate and we went to a few games. I LOVED it. The banter, the pies....., second to none.

And back in the 70's, we had football cards (not stickers) don't know if you had those in England. But I remember having Hopcroft on a particular card. :D

And lets not forget Forfar taking Derek Johnstone and his Rangers teammates to a cup Semi Final replay back in the early 80's.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:13 pm

Great article isn't it. I love Scottish Football History too, albeit mainly lower league stuff. I too laughed at the Bobby Hopcroft thing, absolutely brilliant :D

Yes Marko I believe we had the Football cards too, used to love collecting that kind of stuff.

We were robbed in that Semi Marko, I feel sure we were denied a stonewall penalty and it ended 0-0

But this link is great footage, it was the day Forfar came within Seven minutes of European football, quite staggering really, what a goal from Brian Rankin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2WJnMUi98k

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:59 pm

Speaking of Forfar and Europe, you've brought back a memory to me from many years ago when my sister was going out with a guy from Kirkcaldy. (Great guy, wished she'd stayed with him! :lol: ) ......, mad Raith Rovers fan. Raith were in a particular Euro tournament back in the 90s and played Bayern Munich. They were 0-1 at HT in Munich......., Iain had the picture of the stadium scoreboard made HUGE, framed it and put it on the wall of his student flat! :lol: I actually remember the day i saw that picture; had my cousin Graham with me.
Iain: You remember that day eh?
Graham: The day youz were pumped 2-1? Aye. I remember it.

:lol:

BAYERN MUNCHEN 0
RAITH ROVERS 1

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue May 01, 2018 12:11 am

I got a good amount of knowledge on Scottish soccer (and) having read the autobiographies of say Gordon Strachan and Alex Ferguson, maybe have amassed more information than a considerable number of people in their own nation. Details are endless but relevant issues include :

# An A - Z of Third Lanark and how the club began and ceased to exist
# Standout players including Willie Henderson, John White, David MacKay, Johnstone and other associated stars of the 1960's
# How Ian St John came to be the only Scot to bring a medal home from the 1978 World Cup Event
# The ill-fated game at Cardiff in 1985 with Wales and subsequent loss of Jock Stein
# The introduction of the new firm in the 1980's and breaking the monopoly of Glasgow Rangers and Celtic
# The 'kick the pope' entrepreneur endeavor at Ibrox stadium and how it eventually dissipated

As mentioned too many to include but there's some interesting stories there for sure and facts and figures that many can never be aware of. Say it each time maybe, but how a nation that provided the aforementioned names to the world and also players the caliber of Souness, Dalglish, Gilzean, Baxter and Wark, managed to fail at every World Cup tournament or even make an impression at international level (that their talents warranted) is a mystery.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue May 01, 2018 8:36 am

That is a bit of a mystery, Saint......., but only for THAT era. Yes they were great, how we didn't do better at Argentina 78, Spain 82, Mexico 86 or Italia 90 is beyond me.

BUT, (huge but)....... The three foreigner rule was scrapped, and the Old Firm fkd up the Scottish game good and proper. It's only recently, within the last ten years, along with the glorious liquidation of Rangers Football Club that some of the talent has been able to shine through again with actually getting some game time on the park. And I'll give Brendan Rodgers his due; he has given some of the Scottish youth a chance at Celtic.

We are not that far away from being decent again and I am quite excited about the Euro qualifiers.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 05, 2018 11:11 pm

More immensely Shyte predictions from me. Raith?? They must be the biggest bottle merchant club in the UK! Chucked the league and chucked the Play-offs. Unbelievable. They’ll be greetin’ in tae their red puddings tonight!
Dumbarton v Alloa? Must be Dumbarton.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 05, 2018 11:55 pm

And its confirmed all 4 Angus clubs in League One next season, good job as I f**king hate Arbroath, even more than Brechin !! Big well done to Forfar old boy Stewart Petrie at Montrose though, pleased for them.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun May 06, 2018 1:05 am

It deserves it's own standalone topic if only out of respect but since we got a Scottish theme in this here thread just had to wish Alex Ferguson every success and quick recovery after learning of the news earlier today that Mr Ferguson has received surgery following a brain haemorrhage.

Read his autobiography every now and again and without doubt one of the greatest managerial names ever witnessed, I hope he recovers to full extent in a short time. Best to Cathy and the children.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun May 06, 2018 6:52 am

Can only assume a few of Forfars best players heading down the A932 to Arbroath has contributed to the hatred?! Swankie certainly gave it a go yesterday and it was a decent draw away, but no prize. Certainly going to be an interesting league next season...... Raith got to be red hot favourites.

Get well soon, Sir Eck.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 06, 2018 7:17 am

Yes Marko, we had a damn good side that won promotion only to see the likes of Danny Denholm, Gavin Swankie, Tom O'Brien and Omar Kader depart for Gayfield under a bit of a cloud to say the least, from what I have been able to ascertain is that players couldn't stand Bollan and wanted out, Swankie even refusing to ever play for Forfar again despite being under contract, on top of that we lost Lewis Milne and Josh Peters, both had great seasons, i honestly believe had we kept all them and built on it a second promotion was a possibility.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 20, 2018 6:07 pm

John Baird, Thomas Reilly, Darren Whyte, Ross Meechan....Four signings already Marko, Jim Weir is not hanging about, the big question is....are they any good ?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun May 20, 2018 6:22 pm

John Baird is a decent signing for the Loons. Was doing very well for Falkirk a couple of years ago, and created problems for the Hibs defence. He should score a few in L1 next season.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:25 pm

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:48 pm

The city of fat bastards certainly do love their chips!

Great at the end there talking about the Montrose result being a coupon burster v QOS. The days when QOS were knocking Celtic & Rangers out of the cup in the same season.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:03 pm

New signing number six Marko, Gary Fraser from Partick Thistle, I'm liking this one, thoughts?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:48 am

That’s a top drawer signing by Weir for Forfar. Definitely a player who will make a big difference in League One if he manages to skip a few brutal tackles!

I also see there is a certain club making its way to Station Park on July 14th. I think I’ll buy a Forfar scarf and wear it that day.

And what about the fixture list...... in between Xmas & New Year......, Brechin @ Station Park? That’ll be a bounce! Haha!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:22 pm

Yes Marko I thought it looked like a very good signing, plucking players from the Jags, I love it. It is on my bucket list to do a Forfar v Brechin game, would love it.

As for Hearts, I hope we kick sh*t out of Berra lmao