Waghorn to Derby - confirmed

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Ricco

Re: 5million Waghorn bid?

Post by Ricco » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:04 am

Hi BigJonnyGash, welcome to the forum.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:18 am

In one post, we find out, that after all these years, Ricco is a cognitive behaviour therapist! :lol:

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:34 am

Looks like Sheff Utd fans are getting a bit excited splashing the cash. They could pay some thoughts to a team like Derby.... throwing money around and getting nowhere. TBH.... if I was a Sheff Utd fan I would be a bit concerned paying 8 million for a 28 year old who only cost us 250 k a year ago.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:21 am

School holidays and a heatwave.
Guess it was only a matter of time before they started to come out of the woodwork.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:22 pm

Indeed, to be so brash on a opening post doesnt really endear oneself to people.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:24 pm

BigJonnyGash wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:53 pm
U stupid nobheads, Waghorn is signing for Blades and so is McGoldrick and ur shitty club is going down to League 1.
Ur fuckin sh*t, ur fuckin sh*t
Ur fuckin sh*t, ur fuckin sh*t

Ur just a sh*t Norwich City, sh*t Norwich City
Ur just a sh*t Norwich City, sh*t Norwich City

And guess what Ur fuckin deactivated

Thanks for you insightful thoughts and views ..... I feel richer for the experience

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:34 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:18 am
In one post, we find out, that after all these years, Ricco is a cognitive behaviour therapist! :lol:

Quote of the month winner goes to ........ :lol: :lol:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:34 pm

Say one thing for it, at least was quick and to the point. Any Norwich "personnel" we had on here prior to today invariably masqueraded as Town fans for as long as it took to reveal them as something other.

Back to the subject in question, don't see Sheffield United as a glamorous offer / destination should Waghorn agree deals. Been involved away from the top level for some years now and even League One for a time. Would their directors be prepared to offer a more lucrative deal i.e. terms of salary for the player and furthermore (it) takes time for a player to adjust to new surroundings / club set-up.

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:21 pm

I wouldn't fuel Johnny Gash's post by replying to it. It deserves to be ignored

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:34 pm

Isn’t a ‘Johnny Gash’ what creates most inbreds???

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:02 pm

You think there’d be a Johnny to gash, 9? I’m thinking no!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:07 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:02 pm
You think there’d be a Johnny to gash, 9? I’m thinking no!
True...he’s probably a crack-runner!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:45 pm

Waghorn not played tonight and rumours are he’s in advanced talks with Derby (8 million). I just want this over now. Grab the cash and go and get decent replacement whilst we have time.

Sorry bigjonnygash.... at least you’ve got McGoldrick. Good luck with that one.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:13 pm

Derby County are reportedly in “advanced talks” regarding Blues striker Martyn Waghorn, who was an unused sub in this evening’s 1-0 friendly victory away against the MK Dons. TWTD revealed that the Rams were interested in signing the 28-year-old a fortnight ago.

According to the Daily Mail, Derby are willing to pay the Blues a fee totalling £8 million for Waghorn with the player said to be keen on making the move.

Frank Lampard's Rams have been among a number of Championship clubs eyeing last season's 16-goal top scorer throughout the summer along.

MIddlesbrough are also very keen, while Birmingham City have also been monitoring the situation and Nottingham Forest have been linked.

Sheffield United made an offer of approaching £5 million three weeks ago which was quickly rejected by the Blues but Derby appear to be prepared to meet owner Marcus Evans's asking price.

Meanwhile, the Blues are among a number of clubs linked with Exeter forward Jayden Stockley.

Preston are also said to be interested in the 24-year-old, who came through the AFC Bournemouth system before joining the Grecians last summer following a number of spells out on loan.

Stockley, who has a year left on his contract, scored 25 times in all competitions last season. Sunderland also said to have been keen but with their interest having cooled.
Just go !!! You don't want to be here so take the fantastic 8 million and invest in players who actually want to be here. Waghorn didnt play tonite and it was the best we've played by far this pre season. Life goes on and in Hurst we trust.

Don't know anything about Stockley but he sure knows where the net is !!

RobinHood

Post by RobinHood » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:49 am

If a Premier League team bids a fair price on one of our players I say good luck to him. But here we have a fellow Championship team bidding for our best player. There is a lot of focus on transfer fees but for me salary is becoming an issue. If this deal goes through we are essentially losing Waghorn due to our inability to pay a higher salary for his services.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:00 am

8 mil for Waggy!...Fuckin Ell...take the money!! That’s at least 3 players! Even Robin Hood would take that from the rich!

“He steals from the rich, and gives to the pooooooor!”

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:58 am

According to Sky Sports Waghorn has told the club he wants to leave!

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... swich-town

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:22 am

I’m thinking back to the new shirt being revealed and the video that went along with it. Waghorn being the “life & soul of the party” (according to the guy shooting the video) having a laugh, loving Ipswich etc.
And this was all pre Paul Hurst.

If the transfer request was made by Waggy, is it a money thing?......, or is he not liking Hurst?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:41 am

Got to be money Marko, he's a bloody footballer.

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:18 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:41 am
he's a bloody footballer.
Bet you wouldn't use this quote if it was Knudson Mike :D

8 million if true cannot be sneered at, would be nice to see it invested in the squad.

Looking forward to next Saturday though Waggy or not.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:25 am

LMAO no I probably couldn't, we should be so lucky !!

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:55 am

To try and replace somebody who had a hand in 27 of Town's goals last season makes me very nervous. We will be in deep do do if Waghorn goes. What happened to him loving the area and moving parents or in laws to Ipswich as well? Why not offer him the same as Bart is getting and put the speculation to bed.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:38 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:55 am
What happened to him loving the area and moving parents or in laws to Ipswich as well?
Yep, I was sort of alluding to that also with the new shirt video. He said a lot of positive things...... and it was only two feckin months ago. Is he from a travelling type family anyway and moving around doesn’t really matter that much?

I’m 100% on board with my buddy now regarding “footballer chat” ——-> it’s all wind & pish.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:26 pm

Derby will without question pay him way more per week than we can, that is the top and bottom of it, anything else and he would be saying " I want to stay" and ending all this nonsense. I wish it would be sorted quickly now and he goes so PH can get his squad in place, a squad that want to be here, there is life after Waghorn, we have lost way better players than him in the past, as I said he was left out of the team at MK Dons last night and against the strongest opposition we have played so far we looked by far and away the best we have looked and Waghorn's arse was sat on the bench.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:31 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:38 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:55 am
What happened to him loving the area and moving parents or in laws to Ipswich as well?
Yep, I was sort of alluding to that also with the new shirt video. He said a lot of positive things...... and it was only two feckin months ago. Is he from a travelling type family anyway and moving around doesn’t really matter that much?

I’m 100% on board with my buddy now regarding “footballer chat” ——-> it’s all wind & pish.
Well the key thing is if he wants to leave. Sounds like he does. Simple .... get the best deal as quickly as possible and get him out the door!

If we’re getting 8 million... then let’s not go for a 3/4 million striker replacement.....let’s go for one who’s at least rated at 3 million + plus with more years in him than a 28 year old.

I’m disapponted with Waghorn because he’s done well here and I would have thought it was time he settled into a club where he’s considered the best outfield player. He could well be a peripheral figure if he goes to Derby.... he could have been a legend here if he pushed on.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:32 pm

Ipswich Town owner Marcus Evans will play hardball with Derby County regarding their interest in Martyn Waghorn, with no formal transfer request having been made by the striker.

The Daily Mail reported last night that the Rams were in ‘advanced negotiations’ with the Blues regarding a deal ‘worth a total of £8m’ and that the 28-year-old had ‘expressed a desire’ to join Frank Lampard in the East Midlands.

We understand that Waghorn, an unused substitute in last night’s 1-0 friendly win at MK Dons, has not made a formal transfer request.

It’s also understood that Derby’s firm enquiry – which has not yet turned into a formal bid – has included talk of the deal being heavily clause based and that’s something that Evans is not prepared to entertain.

Ultimately, every player has a price, but the Blues would only cash in on last season’s 16-goal top-scorer if it provided significant up-front funds for Paul Hurst to strengthen his threadbare squad before the window (for permanent transfers) shuts on August 9.

Town have already turned down a £5m bid for Waghorn from Sheffield United, with Blades boss Chris Wilder last night saying: “If the club (Ipswich) are looking for £8 to £10 million that is not our valuation but it is obviously their prerogative – he is their player.

“We talked about it and that is where we are at. If it moves, it moves. If not, we will move on. It is such a tough market to deal in.”

It’s understood that Tony Pulis’ Middlesbrough remain interested in the 28-year-old.

Derby, who have already signed Florian Jozefzoon, Mason Mount and Harry Wilson this summer, could announce the £6m signing of ex-Town academy striker Jack Marriott from League One side Peterborough United later today.

The Derby Telegraph reports that Lampard would want Waghorn in addition to Marriott, but a deal for the Blues striker could be dependent on moving on at least one of their current crop of high-earning strikers.

Matej Vydra has been linked with a £10m+ move to Leeds all summer, while Chris Martin, David Nugent and Cameron Jerome are all available for transfer.

It’s understood the Blues have not enquired about any kind of swap deal.

As it stands, Waghorn is expected to be part of Ipswich Town’s Open Day at Portman Road tomorrow, where he will sign autographs and be part of a public training session, and be in the squad for Saturday’s final pre-season game at home against West Ham.
I'm pleased that ME is insisiting on a large chunk of the money up front, all too often we have had these deals where the player has to play a Million games and score a Thousand goals before we get another Fiver. Pay up or p*ss off.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:02 pm

If Waghorn does go to Derby get Nugent in as part of the deal, that f*cker always scores at PR.. : :wink:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:29 pm

Sky reporting only 4 mil initially and rising to 8 mil if Derby are promoted.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:46 pm

That's not playing hardball but Sky seem to be getting a few things wrong as it's them stating Waggy asked for a transfer which is now seeming to be not the case. Hopefully this 4 Million up front is wrong too.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:58 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:02 pm
If Waghorn does go to Derby get Nugent in as part of the deal, that f*cker always scores at PR.. : :wink:
:lol: very good