Derby County vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Do we keep making progress?

Derby County Win
6%
Ipswich Town Win
44%
Draw
50%

Total votes: 16

Frosty
Forum Owner

Derby County vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:37 pm

Image Derby County v Ipswich TownImage

Tuesday 21st August 2018 – 19:45

Pride Park Stadium

Pre Match Thoughts - Mike

So Much Better

Saturday's backs to the wall performance against a strong and much fancied Aston Villa side was light years away from the efforts of Tuesday night down in darkest Exeter, it may only have been a single point but it told us all a lot lot more about this group of players and indeed the manager. Nobody likes having their integrity questioned, least of all Footballers but that is kind of the way Hurst's interview and after match thoughts came across following our cup exit, many have said his outburst, which he has since tried to play down, could have gone Two ways, thankfully it went the way we all wanted it to, Town's players turned in a super 94 minutes, it was a performance that showed guts, determination and dare I say it a fair bit of ability too.

Going down to Ten men is never great, especially when we are a side trying to evolve, a side probably low on a little bit of confidence following Exeter, a side still trying to win a few doubters over so a Red card in the first half was the last thing we needed. As some have said it certainly seemed to lift everyone, the crowd were superb and the players responded and gave it their all, and that is all we ask of them, apart from the few numpties who look at the end result and nothing else everyone would clearly have seen just how good the boys were when the chips were down, my initial feeling after Saturday's game was that this team will make it and I stand by that and more, I think Hurst will get this team performing and winning games, my prediction of a mid table finish at least has not wavered at all, Twelve to Fifteen games in and we will have a good idea of the progress made and the direction we are heading, I for One am confident.

Rebuilding the Fortress

In years gone by Portman Road has often been seen as a bit of a fortress, a place opposing team were not keen to come to, a place where the crowd has been the Twelfth man with noise levels at such a level it gives the players that extra spring in their step, unfortunately in recent seasons it had dwindled to something more akin to a library or morgue, the atmosphere had died and everything was just this blase feel of defeat, toxic was a word I used a fair bit last season cus that is how it was getting, not helped by the divide between McCarthy and us fans of course, it got to the point where we were giving visiting teams the advantage of playing on our own patch !! It was a situation that just had to be reversed.

Thankfully the first Two home League games against Blackburn & Villa have seen just what the old place can be like again, the noise levels have been superb and the fans are showing their appreciation of what PH and the lads are trying to do, the atmosphere has been superb and the North stand is returning to what I have always known it to be, I've grown up with it being "the place" to sing your hearts out and raise the players to another level, we need that every week, Portman Road is where we need to pick up the majority of our points, it needs to be a daunting place for teams to come and play at, so far so good and that is with us not even winning games, just imagine what it will be like when the goals and wins start flowing. Of course the next home game will take care of itself, the Scum come to Town and that needs no build up or added incentive at all. The roof will be raised.

Favourite Away Day

The games just keep on coming and next up is a Tuesday night visit to Derby County, probably my favourite away day, I expect it is down to the fact that I have been there several times and we always seem to win, not to jinx it but I am yet to see us lose there which considering their ability is quite remarkable, who can forget the Carlos Edwards screamer in the dying seconds of the game a few season back, they are the moments you live for where Football is concerned. Surprisingly the Rams are finding life tough right now and even though they have more points on the board than us at present I would suggest they are struggling every bit as much as we are, of course they have a new manager, a rookie one at that in Frank Lampard and Frank is no doubt going to need time to find his feet in the world of Football management, but this is big spending Derby not Ipswich and I doubt they will give him long if results continue to disappoint.

An opening day 2-1 victory at Reading got them off to a winning start but I watched that game and for much of it they were easily second best, nicking the points with a super last gasp Tom Lawrence header hid the true facts, then they were dismantled by Leeds on their own patch before coming unstuck at tricky Millwall the weekend just gone, and it just goes to show that possession is the most pointless statistic ever as they had 72% at Millwall and got beat, it's what you do with it that counts.

On paper we should probably come home empty handed but again this is Ipswich, struggle against the Barnsley's, Burton's & Rotherham's of this world and then take it to Villa with Ten men or pick up our obligatory three points at Derby, it's what we do, when we are the underdogs we seem to raise our game so it may just be that this one suits us more, somebody said we could be playing Derby at a good time and they may well be right, I think another draw here would be an excellent outcome, anything better and it would be heaven, and oh how I would love to put one over dear Waggy !!! COYB'S!

The Opposition – Derby County

Derby County F.C. was formed in 1884 as an offshoot of Derbyshire County Cricket Club in an attempt to give players and supporters a winter interest as well as secure the cricket club extra revenue, playing their home matches at the cricket club’s Racecourse Ground.

Arguably the most important game in the club's history came in the 1886 FA Cup, when a 2–0 victory over Aston Villa, already an emerging force in English football, helped establish Derby County F.C. on the English football map, helping the club to attract and an invitation into the inaugural Football League. In 1895 the club moved to a new stadium, The Baseball Ground (so called because it was previously used for baseball), which became their home for the next 102 years and adopted their traditional colours of black and white.

Although Derby were inconsistent in the league, they were a strong force in the FA Cup, appearing in three finals in six years around the turn of the 20th Century but lost all three.

Between 1906 and 1925 Derby had some inconsistent years, with a number of relegations and promotions between the First and Second Divisions of the Football League. However, the appointment of George Jobey in 1925 kick-started a successful period for the Rams and, after promotion in 1926, the club became a formidable force, with high finishes from the late 1920s and all through the 1930s, including finishing runners up twice.

Derby were one of several clubs to close down during the Second World War but restarted in the early 1940s. Derby were one step ahead of the opposition when competitive football resumed with the 1946 FA Cup and won their first major trophy with a 4–1 victory over Charlton Athletic. The League restarted the following season after a break due to World War II and, under the management of Stuart McMillan, finished fourth and third in the 1948 and 1949 seasons respectively, before a steady decline set in and the club was relegated in 1953 after nearly 30 years in the top flight, and again in 1955 to drop to the third tier of English football for the first time in their history.

In 1967, Brian Clough and Peter Taylor took over and led them to their greatest glory. Derby were promoted to the First Division in 1969, finished fourth in 1970, but got banned from competing in Europe due to financial irregularities in 1971 and won their first ever Football League Championship in 1972. Though Derby did not retain their title the following season, they did reach the semi-finals of the European Cup. They lost to Juventus in a controversial match which was subject to subsequent allegations that the Italian club had bribed the match officials, leading Clough, to call the Italians "cheating bastards". Clough's frequent outspoken comments against football's establishment eventually led to him falling out with the board of directors at the club, and Clough and Taylor left in 1973. Such was their impact on the club that, 37 years later, a 9'0 high bronze statue of the pair was erected outside the Pride Park Stadium in commemoration of their legacy.

Despite the departure of Clough and Taylor, Derby's League success was repeated in the 1974–75 season when they won the title. However, Derby's form declined towards the end of the 1970s and they went down to the Second Division in 1980. Though they challenged well in their first season, Derby's stay in the Second Division was not a happy one and they were relegated to the Third Division for only the second time in their history in 1984.

After the relegation, the club appointed Arthur Cox who turned the club around with successive promotions in the mid-1980s to get the club back into the old First Division in 1987.

The club was relegated back to the Second Division in 1991 due to lack of investment. At this time, local newspaper businessman Lionel Pickering became the majority shareholder of the club. In 1995 Jim Smith became the new manager and, although the new season started slowly, throwing his brief of 'a top-half finish' out of the window, Smith guided the Rams to a second-place finish and the Premier League, now the top flight of English football. After finishing an admirable 12th in their first season back into the top flight, the club left the Baseball Ground, its home of 102 years, to move into the new 33,597-seat Pride Park Stadium for the 1997–98 season.

The club settled well into its new home as it recorded back-to-back top 10 finishes for the first time since their 1970s peak, before a sudden decline at the turn of the millennium saw three years of struggle,before the Rams were relegated after a six-year stay in the top flight. in 2002. Former Ipswich Town boss George Burley was brought in as manager, but the club was put into receivership then sold in October 2003 for £3 to a group led by Jeremy Keith.

After finishing 20th in the 2003–04 season, a dramatic improvement in the 2004–05 season saw Derby finish 4th in the Football League Championship, qualifying for a promotion play-off spot, though they lost in the semi-finals to Preston North End. Soon afterwards, Burley resigned citing differences between himself and the board.

In April 2006 a consortium of local businessmen led by former vice-chairman Peter Gadsby bought the club, reducing its debt and returning Pride Park Stadium to the club's ownership in the process. In June 2006, former Preston North End boss Billy Davies was appointed Derby County's new permanent manager. In his first season, Davies took Derby to the Premier League via the playoffs. After a poor start to the season, manager Billy Davies left by mutual consent in November.

He was succeeded by Paul Jewell, who failed to save the club as Derby suffered the Premier League's earliest ever relegation, in March,and recorded the Premier League's lowest-ever points total.

Derby's match at home to Sheffield United on 13 September 2008 generated much media coverage as it was approaching a year since Derby's last league win, a run which saw the club break the English league record for most matches without a win.

Just four days short of the anniversary, Derby finally won earning Paul Jewell his first league win as Derby boss at his 27th attempt. Jewell resigned as manager in December 2008 after a run of just 2 wins in 11 matches. He was replaced by Nigel Clough, son of former manager Brian.

He led the club to 18th place and safety. After two disappointing seasons that saw the club finish in the bottom half of the table, Derby finished the two subsequent seasons in 12th and 10th place. Clough was sacked 9 games into the 2013–14 season, and was replaced by former Derby player and assistant manager Steve McClaren.

Under McClaren the club finished third in the Championship and reached the final of the play-offs, where they lost to Queens Park Rangers.

In the 2014/15 season Derby could only manage an 8th place finish after a terrible slump post Christmas and McClaren was dismissed at the end of May to be replace by Paul Clement.

Derby made the playoffs in the 15/16 season, but lost to the eventual winner of the playoff final in Hull Tigers.

Gary Rowett became Derby manager in March 2017 and led them to the final playoff place last season, before accepting a new challenge at relegated Stoke City in May 2018.

On 31 May 2018, Frank Lampard was appointed as manager on a three-year contract.

The Manager – Frank Lampard

Past Match - Video Highlights - Trev

[youtube] [/youtube]

Form Guide

Derby County Last 5 Matches – Currently in 14th place with 3 points

3 Aug Reading 1 - 2 Derby County

11 Aug Derby County 1 - 4 Leeds Utd

18 Aug Millwall 2 - 1 Derby County

Ipswich Last 5 Matches –Currently in 16th place with 2 points

4 Aug Ipswich Town 2 - 2 Blackburn

11 Aug Rotherham 1 - 0 Ipswich Town

18 Aug Ipswich Town 1 - 1 Aston Villa

Match Referee – Scott Duncan

DERBY COUNTY 1 IPSWICH TOWN 1

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Derby County vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:13 am

It seems we may have picked up a couple of knocks Saturday and may have to make a change or two in Midfield, plus Edun suspended means he isn't available, I think I would go with this assuming Skusey isnt fit :-

.........................Bart...........................

Donacien......Chambers....Nsiala......Knudsen

..............Chalobah......Downes...............

Edwards.............Bishop...............Ward

.......................Harrison.......................

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:04 am

Wot no Sears? :lol:

............ I'll get me coat

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:28 am

Better off with 10 men again

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:47 am

You're certainly clocking up the miles this season so far, Mike? Hillsborough on Saturday as well?

I know it's traditionally a good venue for ITFC, but......., I do feel Frank needs this desperately. Voted for the draw, but really wouldn't be surprised at all with a Derby County win and a Waghorn goal to rub salt into the wounds. Please be wrong.

Ref caption:
4th official: Here is the VAR screen, have a look at the foul again.
Ref: Let's see here...... Ok, change channel....... Excellent, Emmerdale is still on.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:51 am

Yes mate Sheffield Saturday with Aylesbury & Hallam, not a bad away day Hillsborough. Derby losing two on the bounce does bother me too TBH, that said it's the way they have been playing that gives me hope, not great apart from 2nd half at Millwall by all accounts, defensively they look suspect especially with Curtis Davis out so who knows. Waghorn appears to have been struggling, deprived of service at times, was subbed off saturday and Nugent came on to improve things.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:02 pm

Town boss Paul Hurst says he has no new injuries from Saturday’s 1-1 draw with Aston Villa, although Tayo Edun misses out as he serves his one match ban for his red card.

“Thankfully I think we’re all OK [from Saturday], so that’s pleasing as I was a little bit unsure about what squad I would have to select from,” Hurst said.

“That’s good news. Naturally, we haven’t done too much today with the exertions of Saturday and the fact one or two are still a little bit sore but nothing that will keep them away from selection. So we look forward to the next game and our trip to Derby.”

Ellis Harrison, Jon Nolan and Cole Skuse were among those to be nursing minor knocks after Saturday's match.

Does Hurst feel playing with 10 men from a few minutes before the break will have an impact on his players at Derby? “I think it was nearer 55 minutes with injury time, being a stickler for the details. I think we won’t know ultimately until the game’s under way and even then who’s to say that it’s specific to that? It depends how the game goes.

“Everyone always feels better if they get a first good touch of the ball and things are going well in the game. It’s amazing, you suddenly feel that you’ve got that little bit more energy. That’s what we’ll be looking for.

“We’ll see, it wasn’t ideal, that’s all I would say. But, as I think I said at the weekend, we’ve got to get on with it and that’s what we’ll do.”

Despite Town having played well with 10 men, he says it’s not something they’ve especially concentrated on in training.

“I think there are some practices you might do, more possession-based rather than specifically 11 v 11 and taking a player away,” he said.

“I’ve heard that some people do that and that’s fine, but I think it depends who you’re playing against and what formation you feel is best to adopt with those 10 men.

“That’s something me and [assistant manager] Chris [Doig] have spoken about before and have looked at different ways of doing it and often the 4-4-1 that we went to isn’t our preferred way of doing things.

“But we were looking at the opposition and the way they were playing, what they were looking to do and we thought that was the best way to go, so that was what we stuck with but, trust me, as it happened just before half-time and at half-time we were trying to scribble different ways to do it.

“I wanted to keep Gwion Edwards on the pitch and I think everyone would understand why. But a lot of the time it maybe a different way we might look to go, we wouldn’t have a winger out there but we felt that Gwion was still a threat for us.

“Again, it is in hindsight, but it looked a pretty good decision at the end of the game but it could have been different.”

Tom Adeyemi remains sidelined with his achilles injury and Luke Woolfenden with a knee problem, while Teddy Bishop and Danny Rowe are in the U23s squad this evening and won’t travel to Derby.
That's good news then, Nolan, Skuse & Harrison all good to go.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:30 pm

Would love to see their half time scribblings! These guys in charge certainly do earn their wages.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:48 pm

I will be paying £10 one off payment to Derby's website to watch the game live.

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:13 pm

I going for a 1-0 to the Blues, it has to start somewhere.
Would like to see Jackson start on the left.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:04 pm

That record at their venue should continue for this trip. We got a psychological edge over them and some of their fans see defeat as an unspoken belief ahead of time. Best guess one of those events where the kids come through i.e. combining the esoteric elements of masculinity and metaphor with the mobilizational elements of spectacle, physical expression and competition. It should be a good trip.

Derby County 1 Ipswich 2

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:12 pm

saint jude wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:04 pm
Best guess one of those events where the kids come through i.e. combining the esoteric elements of masculinity and metaphor with the mobilizational elements of spectacle, physical expression and competition.
Glad you explained your best guess there, Saint. That’s MUCH clearer! :shock: You’ve made me think of Joey Tribbiani when he discovered the Thesaurus.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:30 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:48 pm
Or press the red button on sky

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:49 am

marko69 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:12 pm
saint jude wrote:
Best guess one of those events where the kids come through i.e. combining the esoteric elements of masculinity and metaphor with the mobilizational elements of spectacle, physical expression and competition.
Glad you explained your best guess there, Saint. That’s MUCH clearer! :shock: You’ve made me think of Joey Tribbiani when he discovered the Thesaurus.
Was that from the Jurassic era?
The 4 legged winged fossil they found..?

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:13 am

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:30 am
derick_ipsw wrote:
Cancelled sky once I found that dirty b*stard Jamie Carragher was keeping his job after spitting in a young girls face!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:16 am

I must admit Derick he makes me sick too, worst bloody voice I've ever heard and for me what he did is just not acceptable.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:47 am

BLUEBLOOD wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:49 am
marko69 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:12 pm
saint jude wrote:
Was that from the Jurassic era?
The 4 legged winged fossil they found..?
I do not know, ....... , but I do know I love ITFC from the bottom of my full sized aortic pump.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:51 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:51 am
Yes mate Sheffield Saturday with Aylesbury & Hallam, not a bad away day Hillsborough. Derby losing two on the bounce does bother me too TBH, that said it's the way they have been playing that gives me hope, not great apart from 2nd half at Millwall by all accounts, defensively they look suspect especially with Curtis Davis out so who knows. Waghorn appears to have been struggling, deprived of service at times, was subbed off saturday and Nugent came on to improve things.
Very tempted to go tonight as well! I just know if I go we will get tonked but if I watch on tv we will do well 😂

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:04 am

Bloody stay away then !!!!! LOL.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:25 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:13 am
ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:30 am
derick_ipsw wrote:
Cancelled sky once I found that dirty b*stard Jamie Carragher was keeping his job after spitting in a young girls face!!

Not sure I’d be depriving myself of fantastic sports coverage for that tw*t, especially with the Ryder Cup just round the corner let alone the footie.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:52 am

I got rid of skysports a year or two ago for a couple of reasons. I hate what they (and other tv companies) are doing to our game, whilst it may be good to watch matches live on there, I think its now becoming more about the TV coverage than attending the match itself. OK so we get reasonably full stadiums still in the Premier League, but the money that gets banded about by TV companies has made football a bit of a joke and it wont stop. Eventually the PL will follow La Liga and play a game in the US/China etc. And then the European Super League idea will return once the money hits the numbers they all want. I hate how its become all about selling your soul to TV companies than making it a game for the fans the way it once way. Its all relative anyway, its just £150m is the new £10m in todays world. Also the way Sky dictate when you play your games also pisses me off, Id much prefer all games to be at 3pm on a Saturday, I have friends who are ST holders at West Ham and Spurs, they hate it as they hardly ever play a game at a sensible time.

So I decided to have no Skysports/BT etc. I now just either listen to the match on radio (which I enjoy more than I thought I would) and/or watch the highlights on MOTD. I can understand why people like watching as many games as possible but its the principle behind it that I don't like, just me cancelling it makes sod all difference but makes me feel a bit better and saves me a few quid!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:12 am

I understand not everyone is able to attend matches but being there with the atmosphere to cheer on the boys etc just cannot be bettered, yes I watch games on TV etc but doesn't come close.

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:24 pm

there will be an HD stream for this,

https://www.olympicstreams.me/derby-vs- ... -stream/1/

I will start this 3 mins before kick off

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:21 pm

Absolutely agreed live football is a thousand times better than watching on tv, but that said I wouldn’t deprive myself of watching some of the fantastic football and other sport shown live on tv just on principal.

I can understand why fans of lower league teams resent all the money in the Premier League but I bet you won’t find a fan of any team in the EPL who would prefer to drop down to the Championship on the principal that Sky are killing the game, or any Championship fan who wouldn’t wish to see their team promoted.

Whilst I think some of the sums of money being banded about in football are immoral, I also think the standard / quality of football played in the Prem League is amazing, and I thank Sky for making it possible for millions of people like myself to enjoy it instead of just the few thousand who are lucky enough to live somewhere close to a Premier League football club and able to afford to watch it.

Hopefully I’ll get to watch Town at Derby tonight, another massive step in the right direction by Sky showing every midweek Championship match this season, how good is that for fans of Championship football clubs.

The only way I’ll ever give up Sky is if or when I can’t afford it and even then there will be lots of other little luxuries that would go first.

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:27 pm

Derby are a team that will be in at the death so I think points need to be taken from them while you can. I going with a draw 2-2

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:46 pm

Holy sh*t, Waghorn dropped to the bench and replaced by “you know who” !!!...David bloody Nugent.

I think I’d prefer to face Waghorn.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:51 pm

Early signs look like we’re going to be under pressure down our left flank.

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:55 pm

Nice to see us eventually getting out of our half!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:05 pm

14 mins almost costly as Chalobah lacked concentration giving the ball away on the half way line allowing Derby to break quickly. Town holding their own well so far, but Bennett looking dangerous down Derbys right, just hope he doesn’t link up too well with Nugent.

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:15 pm

So far we seem to have two teams trying to play football on the floor but neither side is quite clicking.