Sheffield Wed. vs Ipswich Town Preview and Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Really could do with 3 points huh?

Sheffield Wed Win
48%
Ipswich Town Win
19%
Draw
33%

Total votes: 21

Frosty
Forum Owner

Sheffield Wed. vs Ipswich Town Preview and Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:16 pm

Image Sheffield Wednesday v Ipswich TownImage

Saturday 25th August 2018 – 15:00

Hillsborough Stadium

Pre-Match Thoughts - Bluemike

Blips Along The Way

When the club set out on the Paul Hurst journey it was largely acknowledged that it was a high risk strategy, a route into the unknown with plenty of hurdles to overcome along the way, the realisation was there that "Rome wasn't built in a day" and that this is a plan that will take time. Derby Tuesday night has already put one of those hurdles in our path and that is how the fans deal with a little bit of an off night after having our hopes raised against Aston Villa some Three days earlier. It has to be said already opinion seems to be very much divided, concerns are being raised that the lower league players just aren't going to cut it, that at this very early stage flaws that can't be correct are clear for all to see, personally I don't see it that way at all, for me Four games is nothing and not everything is doom and gloom, I get that we all see things differently and that we all deal with it in our own way but it just seems so very premature to me to be quite as negative as some fans have already become.

As to the game itself I felt there was very little in it at all, the have's and have not's hardly looked any different, Frank Lampard was quick to tell the Derby fans that his team building and methods will take time so apart from being able to bring in 5/6/7 Million pound players what is the difference in that and what Paul Hurst is telling us ? I don't buy the lower league player thing in certain instances, I mean Nugent hardly caused Nsiala too many problems, Donacien stood up really well to Tom Lawrence when faced with defending against him and Chalobah mixed it with Bryson, Mount & Ledley and stood his ground. Speaking of Aristote Nsiala, I think he is developing into a very good player already and the improvement is there with each passing game, he is going to be a very big and important player for us as the season progresses. I think a little bit of the rub of the green wouldn't go amiss either, Two penalties that didn't go our way at Rotherham, a harsh sending off against the Villa and a wicked deflection for the opening goal last night, luck evens itself out right so we are due a few decisions.

Squad Options

Clearly the longer we go without a win the more likely Paul Hurst will want to change One or Two players until he gets that winning formula, I think a few players are nailed on to play at present with Nsiala, Chalobah, Edwards, Chambers & Donacien all looking safe for now but what of the others ? I think Bart is getting of lightly right now, dress it up how you like but he has been poor all season, Dean Gerken waits patiently in the wings but is that a change that looks likely ? I doubt it but he has to get his act together soon. Cole Skuse & Jon Nolan are in the Midfield but with Emyr Huws & Teddy Bishop closing in on returns Hurst may well look to shake it up a bit, not to mention Flynn Downes, and what of Danny Rowe ? Very impressive for the U23's the other day and a natural wide player, he has to be in line to challenge Grant Ward surely ? Ward just isn't cutting it for me or for many others from what I am hearing, Kayden Jackson has to be nearing in on a start as Ellis Harrison hasn't really looked even close to opening his account, then of course we have the likelihood of some loans arriving in the next week, players have to perform or they will soon be out of the starting line up.

The Next Six are Massive

I think it is fair to say that the next Six games are pretty big for Town & Paul Hurst, Sheff Wed (A), Norwich (H), Hull (A), Brentford (H), Bolton (H) and Birmingham (A) represent games that can be won, none of them are beyond us, Eighteen points up for grabs and anything around 10-12 would be a good return and see us moving in the right direction, this will see us reach the Ten game stage of the season and by then we need to see a few things falling into place, conversely failure to win any of these and the doubters will be growing big time, I can't for the life of me see that happening though, forever the optimist and as Jon Nolan said hopefully One win will create the domino effect.

All Roads Lead To Hillsborough

Next up is another trip up North to Sheffield Wednesday, like us the Owls have had a bit of an iffy start and at the time of writing are One of only Four clubs sitting below us, they currently occupy One of the relegation spots but of course it means nothing yet other than their current form is no better than ours. Defeats at Brentford & Wigan and a home draw with Hull are not great results, OK Brentford are fancied to do quite well but Wigan & Hull are tipped to struggle and it could be more was expected from the management team, by the time we meet them Saturday they will have entertained Millwall so things could have taken a positive step forward.

They do have some players that have caused us problems in the past, Nuhiu, Forestieri and Joao have all scored against us at some time or another, at the back Tom Lees is the glue that holds the defence together while Barry Bannan is their Midfield playmaker who if allowed can run a game, the rest of their team doesn't have you jumping off your chair with excitement so this is definitely a game where we can target a points return, get at them early and the crowd is known to turn, that is what we need to do, get on the front foot and put their already fragile confidence to the test. I think Town will get something from this game, I said we needed Four points from Wednesday & Norwich so Three here would be most welcome as the Four could then very well become Six. Keep the faith. COYB'S.

The Opposition – Sheffield Wednesday

The club was a cricket club when it formed in 1820 as The Wednesday Cricket Club, Lancashire (named after the day of the week when they played their matches). A meeting on the evening of Wednesday 4 September 1867 at the Adelphi Hotel established a footballing side to keep the team together and fit during the winter months.

On 1 February 1868, Wednesday played their first competitive football match as they entered the Cromwell Cup.

Charles Clegg joined Wednesday in 1867, starting a relationship that would last the rest of his life and eventually lead to him becoming the club's chairman. He also became president and chairman of the Football Association and was known as the "Napoleon of Football". In 1876, they acquired Scot James Lang. Although he was not employed by the club, he was given a job by a member of the Sheffield Wednesday board that had no formal duties. He is now acknowledged as the first professional football player in England.

The football club turned professional in 1887 after pressure from players threatening to defect to other clubs. The move to professionalism took the club from Bramall Lane, which had taken a share of the ticket revenue, to the new Olive Grove.

In 1889, the club became founder members of the Football Alliance. Despite finishing the following season bottom of the Alliance, they were eventually elected to the expanded Football League in 1892.

Due to an expansion of the local railway lines, the club was told that they would have to find a new ground for the 1899–1900 season. After a difficult search, the club finally bought some land in the village of Owlerton, which at the time was several miles outside the Sheffield city boundaries. Construction of a new stadium (now known as Hillsborough Stadium) was completed within months.

In the summer of 1912, a Wednesday player, George Robertson, presented the club with an owl mascot. A monkey mascot introduced some years earlier had not brought much luck.

The club was almost relegated in the 1927–28 season, but they pulled off a great escape, rising from bottom to 14th. Wednesday went on to win the League title the following season (1928–29), which started a run that saw the team finishing lower than third only once until 1936. The period was topped off with the team winning the FA Cup for the third time in the club's history in 1935.

The 1950s saw Wednesday unable to consistently hold on to a position in the top flight and this period became known as the yo-yo years. After being promoted back up in 1950, they were relegated three times, although each time they bounced back up by winning the Second Division the following season

This led to a decade of successfully remaining in the First Division, which included a run to the FA Cup final in 1966.

Off the field, the club was embroiled in the British betting scandal of 1964, in which three of their players were accused of match fixing and betting against their own team in an away game at Ipswich Town. The three were subsequently convicted and, on release from prison, banned from football for life.

Wednesday were relegated at the end of the 1969–70 season, starting the darkest period in the club's history. After going into free-fall, they dropped to the Third Division for the first time in their history and were marooned there for five seasons. The club was almost relegated to the Fourth Division in 1976, but a revival under the management of Jack Charlton, and the aid of coach Tony Toms and – after Charlton resigned in 1983 – Howard Wilkinson, saw them return to the First Division in 1984.

Sheffield Wednesday spent the majority of the 1980s and 1990s in the top tier of English football.

On 15 April 1989, the club's stadium was the scene of one of the worst sporting tragedies ever, at the FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest, at which 96 Liverpool fans were fatally crushed in the Leppings Lane end of the stadium. The tragedy resulted in many changes taking places at Hillsborough and all other leading stadiums in England.

The 1990–91 season was the only one out of sixteen in a row that Wednesday spent in a lower division, but the season is best remembered by fans for Wednesday's swift return to the top flight and their League Cup victory over Manchester United to win their first major trophy for over 50 years. This League Cup triumph was the last domestic cup to be won by a club competing outside the top level of English football.

Wednesday's fortunes took a turn for the worse when a succession of managers failed to maintain this form, and new managers spent small fortunes building squads that were ultimately ineffective, which saw the club's debts get out of control and Wednesday being relegated down to League 1.

After narrowly avoiding yet another relegation in 2003–04 and a poor start to the 2004–05 Football League One campaign, Paul Sturrock took over the Manager’s role and they were promoted back to the Championship via the playoffs. Sturrock was sacked after a poor start to the 2006–07 season and replaced by Brian Laws.

The 2007–08 season began with Wednesday's worst ever start to a season, as they lost six league games in a row, and they only avoided relegation with a win on the last day of the season. Halfway through Sheffield Wednesday's 2009–10 season, Brian Laws was sacked, and was replaced by Alan Irvine. On the last day of the season, needing a win to stay up, Wednesday drew 2–2 with Crystal Palace and were relegated to League One.

Between July and November 2010, Sheffield Wednesday faced a series of winding up orders for unpaid tax and VAT bills. On 29 November 2010, Milan Mandarić agreed to purchase the club. The purchase was completed after an Extraordinary General Meeting of Sheffield Wednesday's shareholders on 14 December 2010, during which 99.7% of shareholders voted to sell the company to Milan Mandarić's UK Football Investments for £1, as well as settling the club’s outstanding debts.

Gary Megson replaced Irvine as the club's manager in February 2011 and the Owls went on to finish 15th in League One. The following season, the Owls pushed on for promotion out of League One. But, after falling behind Charlton and Sheffield United at the top of the table, Megson was sacked and replaced by Dave Jones. Jones went on to guide the Owls to promotion to the Championship on the final day with a 2–0 home victory over Wycombe.

Following this season, the Owls struggled in the Championship. However, with a better run of form after Christmas, the club secured Championship safety on the final day of the season, beating Middlesbrough 2–0.

In the 2013/2014 season, Wednesday finished in 16th place with 53 points, ending the season under Stuart Gray’s management following Jones’ departure.

In 2014, the club was again taken over by a new owner, Thai businessman Dejphon Chansiri, who purchased the club from Milan Mandarić for £37.5m

Chansiri stated his intention to win promotion back to the club for the 2017–18 season – the football club's 150th anniversary – and came close to achieving that goal a year head of schedule, with new coach Carlos Carvalhal leading the club into the end of season play-offs at the end of the 2015–16 season, but Wednesday were beaten in the final by Hull City at Wembley.

In the 2016/17 Sheffield Wednesday performed well again finishing in fourth spot but were beaten in the semi’s by Huddersfield on penalties.

In January 2018, Jos Luhukay was appointed as the manager taking over the role from Carlos Carvalhal.

Last season Wednesday’s finished in 15th place with 57 points.

The Manager – Jos Luhukay

Trev's Previous Match Highlights

Media Watch - K L Blue

Stuart Watson's Verdict...……………….

www.eadt.co.uk/sport/derby-2-ipswich-0- ... -1-5661748

Released Town youngster still pursuing his dream(sorry its home town club)

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/kings-lynn ... -1-5661532

Bosses Verdict...................................................................

https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2018/august ... ost-derby/

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/hurst-on-to ... -1-5661782

And we think some of our fans are fickle..................................................................

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/08/22/de ... rformance/

Form Guide

Sheffield Wed Last 3 Matches - Currently in 17th place with 4 points

4 Aug Wigan Athletic 3 - 2 Sheffield Wednesday

11 Aug Sheffield Wednesday 1 - 1 Hull City

18 Aug Brentford 2 - 0 Sheffield Wednesday

22 Aug Sheffield Wednesday 2 - 1 Millwall

Ipswich Last 4 Matches currently in 20th place with 2 points

4 Aug Ipswich Town 2 - 2 Blackburn

11 Aug Rotherham 1 - 0 Ipswich Town

18 Aug Ipswich Town 1 - 1 Aston Villa

21 Aug Derby County 2 – 0 Ipswich Town

Marko’s Caption Contest – THE DON CUP

First caption contest league table posted in the next preview.

Have a tw@t twoo at this.

Match Referee – Jeremy Simpson

SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY 1 IPSWICH TOWN 1

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Sheffield Wed. vs Ipswich Town Preview and Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:31 am

Another comprehensive match preview there ^^^, appreciated immensely.

The next 6 are indeed so very important. Got to expect a win amongst that lot.

Sheff Wed (A), 1pt
Norwich (H), 3pts
Hull (A), 0pts
Brentford (H), 1pt
Bolton (H) 3pts
Birmingham (A) 1pt.

I have 9pts....... which is rebuilding / gelling form. Fairly satisfied with that. Incidentally, only 1pt v Brentford @ PR....... they are playing some decent football at the moment. Dark horses for play offs.

Draw at Wednesday I think. 1-1.

Ref caption:

Very important penalty decision to be made. Ref thinks: Did I lock the front door when I left?

Sheff Wed manager caption:
Breaking News Headline:
TUCO LEAVES ANGEL EYES, BLONDIE & TRAIN ROBBERY FOR FOOTBALL JOB

(That’s a movie related joke ^^^^^ , not a “Mexicans are all robbers” racist joke before the PC folk pipe up)

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:38 am

CAPTION.... Paul Hurst .."Christ it's only Four games in and I'm having to go in disguise already"

CAPTION....."Being a Wednesday fan is like a Bird sanctuary, One Owl and Thousands of Tits"

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:30 am

Surely a win will happen??? Ok, maybe a 1-1 draw then? But no loss please...…

Caption - When my son said he wanted to become a bird, I had other thoughts in mind.

Caption - Mick MCarthys new hairstyle suits him.

Caption - Whoooos the twit whooooo threw the owl mask?

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:00 pm

Caption - Rolf Harris succeeds in sneaking into a Town match

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:20 pm

"Of course I look completely f.cking disorientated ..... I just sneezed inside this bloody mask"

Or

"3 days after his stag do, the glued on mask joke was starting to wear thin with Gordon"

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:29 pm

I am currently doing work for a large Sheffield company, and many of the people there are Wednesday supporters and are bemoaning the situation they are in with transfers and expecting a long hard season. Sure enough they have had a difficult start although they did get a win last night.

I do however think that they will have too much for us on Saturday, and I expect us to be soundly beaten.

Sheff Wed 2 - Ipswich 0

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:51 pm

im hoping for a win in this one but im going to go for a 1-1 draw

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:49 pm

Midfielders Cole Skuse and Jon Nolan are doubts ahead of Saturday’s trip to Sheffield Wednesday.

Skuse suffered a quad problem in the 1-1 draw with Aston Villa and was forced off with a recurrence of the same injury during the 2-0 loss at Derby on Tuesday.

“It’s not looking great for the weekend,” manager Paul Hurst said. “But at the same time I’ve got to know Cole in the short time we’ve been here and I know that he’s a quick healer.

“If there’s any chance whatsoever of him feeling like he can contribute then he’ll certainly put his hand up and will want to be part of the squad. I’m reluctant to totally rule him out but he’s certainly very doubtful.”

Regarding the former Shrewsbury man, he added: “Jon Nolan rolled his ankle at the start of the game, so that’s two games running where he’s had an issue right at the beginning of the game.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:18 pm

Wed 1 Ipswich 2. This is one we can win. It's one I think we need to win.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:53 pm

Caption : Guy misunderstood mates party invertation to bring a Bird.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:17 pm

Well the way we've been playing so far, I can't be positive, one up front no bloody chance.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:27 pm

Got a feeling we will get a 1-3 win this weekend.

Caption comp

The owl and the pussy fans,
Went to see,
How ipswich stuff birds,
Like them and the canaries.

Or

Oh come on ref! Cant you see thats not a fowl!

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:53 pm

Caption comp
.....or

Those sheffield fans are quite friendly. I enjoyed chatting to this one before the match. I was a bit freaked when he walked away though, it was only then i noticed he had his back to me the whole time.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:59 pm

They'll take it, one goal to zero. Maybe a game that won't live long in the memory but the possibility the team could find itself in the relegation zone by Monday is a concern. No lone attackers this time Hurst, play two up front and show some intent. Even then it may not be enough.

Sheffield Wednesday 1 Ipswich 0

Jome_ITFC

Post by Jome_ITFC » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:43 am

Think this may be a scrappy 1-1 draw with us having 2 shots on target in 90 mins. Will be interesting to see who comes in if Skuse and Nolan are both out, I imagine Edun will be one, possibly Downes the other? Would also like to see Jackson given a run from the start, hasn't quite clicked for Harrison so far despite his best efforts.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:51 pm

Well I thought Villa would slaughter us, and it ended a draw. I'm really not sure what team will show up, so unfortunately I'll have to go for the home win.

Sheffield Wed. 2 v 1 ITFC

Caption: "Wednesday fan must where an owl-mask for spelling 'invitation' wrong!"

Caption: "Wednesday fan says he doesn't give a hoot who wins!"

Caption: "Wednesday fan forgot the password for the pre-sex party and ended up in the stands!" (Kubrick reference)

Caption: "This bloke came up to me and said, hoot hoot!" (Derek & Clive reference)

Jos Luhukay caption: "This is the face of a shart!"

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:48 pm

I think we may get a draw in this one. Im hoping for a win of course but I think we might end up with the 1 point, ive gone for 1-1. Hopefully following up with out first win at home to Norwich! What an atmosphere that would be if it happened.

Earl Blue

Post by Earl Blue » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:30 pm

Staying positive amongst all the dribble.. :wink:

2 - 0 Ipswich..

COYB

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:13 pm

Caption Comp : Twit twhooo ME...?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:47 pm

Hillsborough has over recent years been one of our lucky grounds with our last 9 games there undefeated with 4 wins and 5 draws, in fact we’ve lost only once in 12 visits since 2002. The most popular results have been 1-2 to Town or 1-1, either of these scores would be nice tomorrow.

To be honest I’d happily take a draw from this game and anything better would be a bonus. I just hope we avoid defeat if only to give the players a bit of a boost ahead of next weekends local derby.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:32 am

Wednesday 1: ITFC 1

Caption:
Owl man “ I thought it was a good idea at the time, but how the hell am I going to eat my Scampi Nik Naks “ ?

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:45 am

Caption - even with this on I fancy winning a header against the town defence

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:57 am

My Team For Today, on the basis that Skusey doesn't make it but Nolan does.

..............................Bialkowski...........................

Donacien........Chambers........Nsiala..........Knudsen

................Chalobah...............Downes................

Edwards.................Nolan......................Edun....

..........................Jackson...............................

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:14 am

I still think he’ll go with Harrison up front, but Jackson’s a possibility at left wing.

Jackson, I believe, was our most expensive signing, so I’d expect him to get a start soon.

Personally, I prefer Nydam to Downes, but Hurst seems to favour Downes. I think Nydam’s got that bit extra in the final third and more likely to thread a ball through.

Wild card could be Rowe, who scored a hat trick for the u-23’s on Monday.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:16 am

Town win 3-1.

Caption

I thought these b'stards only came out at night

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:32 pm

2 strikers.......Finally :D

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:55 pm

Hey, not a bad line up today;

Ipswich

33Bialkowski

2Donacien
22Nsiala
4Chambers
3Knudsen

7Edwards
6Chalobah
11Nolan
25Edun

9Jackson
10Harrison

Substitutes

1Gerken
12Spence
18Ward
19Roberts
20Sears
21Downes
30Kenlock

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:20 pm

After a bright start that is a real sickener.

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:20 pm

Unbelievable - just fired up the match link and we go behind!! :(