Footie Forums tributes to The Beat

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Footie Forums tributes to The Beat

Post by hallamblue » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:47 am

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Footie Forums tributes to The Beat

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:20 am

Bloody hell. That tugs on the heart strings a bit.

Totally fine with admitting that I didn’t realise fully just how great the guy was. Saw more of Wark, the Dutch, Butcher, Burley etc. It’s taken him to die for me in particular to realise it.

Hoping Ipswich Town release something about his life maybe on dvd, ..... it’ll definitely be purchased.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:34 pm

That really has brought a lump to my throat.

Marko, the players you mention were great, he was the best of them all.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:06 pm

When you're in company with say Brazil, Phillips, Mariner, Wark, Crawford and Thijssen et cetera, and being labeled the best team player a club can offer in it's history you know you've obtained a unique status. I'm with Mark on this not realizing perhaps how great he may have been but take nothing away from the individual (and say again) without his contribution at the time this club would not have been so successful as it became. Even if only for a short time.

Sad times for the club what with the recent passing of Ted Phillips also, they may be gone but the achievements and grandeur lives forever.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:24 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:20 am
Bloody hell. That tugs on the heart strings a bit.

Totally fine with admitting that I didn’t realise fully just how great the guy was. Saw more of Wark, the Dutch, Butcher, Burley etc. It’s taken him to die for me in particular to realise it.

Hoping Ipswich Town release something about his life maybe on dvd, ..... it’ll definitely be purchased.
Marko
As I said on the other thread he was the best player I have ever watched in a Town shirt.
Having said that because of his injuries I don’t think I or anybody else who saw the Beat play ever saw what he could have been. When he stopped playing at the highest level he should have just been reaching his peak and I have no doubt if that had happened he would have already been acknowledged as one of England’s greatest players.